Most Powerful Gaming Moments

For me, it's the final fights in Zelda games, more so the newer ones.

Like at the end of Wind Waker, putting the master sword right into Ganondorf's head and putting and end to his evil. Felt so awesome. Same applies to Twilight Princess.

Call of Duty really has some great moments too. Taking the reichstag at the end of World at War and raising the Russian flag was beautiful.

ME: "Your words are as empty as your future. I am the vanguard of your destruction. This exchange is over."

ME2: The entire finale. It felt like I'd been watching a really good sci-fi movie at the cinema.

- Vortal Combat, stepping into the larval extract chamber, and G-Man's heart-to-heart are just some of the few moments that make EP2 my all time favorite.

-Metro 2033's Ghosts and Anomaly levels

-Jenny's death in The Darkness

Deus Ex- The conception of Helios. Speaking to Helios.

The ending of EP2
The aftermath in COD4..especially when you can hear the children laughing
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOPs7LMhs1I

Also the scene at the beginning where you have to evacuate the freighter and just barely make it

Most of the other games I've played have been open world or had no story....weird that I just realized that.

I always did love the intro video to Jane's USAF...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkkJc3uDXuc

I have a lot of powerful moments in games, but the most recent has to be:

When Gary Sanderson dies in Modern Warfare 2. I mean, you just went through a shitstorm of a game only to have it end like that.

I have a lot of powerful moments in games, but the most recent has to be:

When Gary Sanderson dies in Modern Warfare 2. I mean, you just went through a shitstorm of a game only to have it end like that.

That kinda pissed me off, actually. Yahtzee made a good point about it

They realized how big of an impact it was when the main character died in COD4. So they decided to do it 3 times in MW2

I remember laughing pretty hard at that review.

Also I realized that his intro involves a cigarette and his death involves a cigarette. Poor Ghost. He was my favourite character.

The start of Of Their Own Accord in MW2 and the revolution part of HL2. I couldn't get to that bit for months because I was terrified of Antlions, but when I got to it, it was totally worth it. I played Hl2 about 3 times in a month after playing that bit.

Starcraft 2,
Protoss' perceived last stand against the hybrids. Was quite sad that my favorite video game race would be wiped out like that...

Brilliant plan Stalin, next time *LISTEN* to your ^%$#@!& Generals instead of trying to take command in a war you don't understand! Ahem, anyways it's a good thing a fellow Soviet Soldier convinced you to not take a suicidal charge and instead found a way to just try to flank them.

Stalin was a brilliant mastermind. It's his generals that usually ****ed up the situation.

As for powerful moments...

Absolutely most powerful moment: the end of Homeworld 1. Only game in which I genuinely cried at the end.

1. First playing the Fallout demo. And then playing it again. And again. And again.

2. Finishing Half-Life 1 for the first time and G-Man's speech.

3. Gothic. Casing the Old Camp.

4. KOTOR 2. Pretty much any discussion with Kreia.

5. End of Episode 2.

I never got all the KOTOR 2 hate i really liked it =/

then again i haven't played the first so.... :(

I'm trying to play KOTOR 2. I loved the first, but as far as I can tell, this just sucks :/

KotOR 2 isn't a cheap space opera like the first one, try playing it with a different mindset.

I never got all the KOTOR 2 hate i really liked it =/

then again i haven't played the first so.... :(

wat

You should give the first one a go eventually. From what everybody says (including myself), it's the better of the two.

It's like $9 on steam.

KotOR 2 isn't a cheap space opera like the first one, try playing it with a different mindset.

It's buggy all over, seems incredibly cheap at times, certainly cheesy, and some of the conversation options are ridiculous.

Perhaps. I wasn't inclined to say it earlier, because I knew there were people who enjoyed it. Personally, I couldn't see that.

If I get the time, I might try looking for some fan patches. I remember hearing from tav at some point that KOTOR II was unfinished, so I can almost excuse the amount of bugs in it. Unfortunately, I found it unbearable at times, which definitely didn't help it any.

I enjoyed KOTOR I. At least I remember doing, and I don't think Taris was any worse than Telos.

I'm still expecting some stupid twist to happen near the end, which was sort of cool the first time, but will only make me facepalm if it happens again. I wouldn't worry about it if they didn't keep throwing blindly obvious hints around and then say "No, not really, that's never going to happen"

Final Fantasy 7 - Aeris

StarCraft - Kerrigan getting swarmed by the zerg....

Half-Life: Opposing Forces - Following Gordon through the portal and just falling while he watches you die

Wolfenstein 3D - Opening a door and being flooded by so many dogs......then coming out victorious!!

Super Mario Brothers - Beating the game without losing a life. I was like 7, it was an achievement!

Final Fantasy 1 - Finally beating that bastard of a game

I'm trying to play KOTOR 2. I loved the first, but as far as I can tell, this just sucks :/
Kotor 2 is probably the most morally ambivalent story-driven game I've ever played.

That's incredible rare to find in a game.

I'll admit i've not played much all that much RPGs really (certainly not fantasy or JRPGS anyway) but KOTOR 2 is probably one of very few I can think of where my choices really had actual consequences that even affected my squad. I can't recall many games where my actions affected the other characters in my squad in a significant way.

Yet a game like FO3 (which i nevertheless enjoyed) was praised out off its ****hole but had very few consequences to anything apart from megaton, even the morality system done nothing!

1. MW2 - Remember, no Russian - first time I've been like "err, you want me to do what?"

2. Dread at Ravenholm whoever said that is a genius. I didn't know that a scary level was coming, but then I just sensed it was and Alyx was like "Gordon, go through Ravenholm". I would have shot her if I could.

3. Resident Evil 2 - the first time a licker jumps out, i'm like "KILL IT WITH FIRE"

4. MGS1 - Psycho mantis and the "Fission Mailed" thing. Freaked me out!

Ending of MGS4.

A game had never made me cry until that point. Ive loved all the MGS games though so maybe it was tears of ''there wont be another one''. They're my perfect games, Snake is unforgettable, etc etc.

And I know Snake will be back again on the PS3 or PS4. Watch this space.

Red Dead Redemption's ending gave me the most surprised reaction, and a little bit of emotion that other games fail to infect. Considering I couldnt really find the character all that belieavable, what with his morality jumping around like a kangaroo on speed (he reminded me of Harrison Ford running around and grabbing everyone going ''Gimme back my family!''), Rock* did a great job with it.

KOTOR 2 is incredible. I can only imagine what it would have been if it wasn't rushed.

Here's a summary of all cut content.

You don't have to read it because there's spoilers, but just scroll through it.

And um... you did install the official patches didn't you?

That isn't just you. That's the entire internet minority.

They still bought both.

I was given MW2 as a gift. Didn't buy MW1.

But there are WAY too many MW references in this thread. Seriously guys, Call of Duty has your most powerful gaming moment ever? God damn I hate modern gamers.

Kotor 2 is probably the most morally ambivalent story-driven game I've ever played.

That's incredible rare to find in a game.

I've literally never seen a copy. I don't know why they won't put it on Steam.

But there are WAY too many MW references in this thread. Seriously guys, Call of Duty has your most powerful gaming moment ever? God damn I hate modern gamers.

It has come nice cinematic moments yea but yea it aint all that good :p

Final Fantasy 1 - Finally beating that bastard of a game

This game is friggin hard. The first and second FF are the only ones I have played, but the first I got right up to the end and couldnt beat the final boss. There was also some other series of bosses if I remember, and I got right up to the Phantom Train (most hated boss EVER) before giving up.

One thing that confuses me is why FF1 and FF2 are pretty much never brought up in a discussion of the past FF.

Also, KOTOR 1 was quite a bit better than KOTOR 2 in my opinion.

Seriously guys, Call of Duty has your most powerful gaming moment ever?

The plot was pretty ridiculous, but it did have it's moments. The Of Their Own Accord thing probably wasn't my most powerful, but it did have quite an impact and it sprang to mind quickly.

The original Call of Duty's Battle of Stalingrad is probably one of my most powerful gaming moments, but yeah, each game since has gotten worse until we find ourselves in this pit of despair.

Morally ambiguous, more like.
More like stop assuming I don't know what I'm saying.

am·big·u·ous
–adjective
open to or having several possible meanings or interpretations; equivocal: an ambiguous answer.

am·biv·a·lence
–noun
uncertainty or fluctuation, esp. when caused by inability to make a choice or by a simultaneous desire to say or do two opposite or conflicting things.
Like in Deus Ex, Kotor 2 doesn't clear-cut its dilemmas with 'do X, and you save 50 babies, do Y and you kill 25 kittens.' For instance, there's a part in Nar Shadaa where if you give a poor human money, Kreia shows you how a few moments after, out of sight, he gets mugged by bandits and beaten (or killed? I don't remember), putting him in an even worse situation than before your intervention. Most of the problems are double edged, leading often to 'shit, what should I do?' moments. IIRC the light and dark paths weren't nearly so clear cut, most quests resulted in zero change to your alignment, and the ramifications for being light/dark weren't nearly as dire as in Kotor 1. HENCE AMBIVALENT.

For instance, there's a part in Nar Shadaa where if you give a poor human money, Kreia shows you how a few moments after, out of sight, he gets mugged by bandits and beaten (or killed? I don't remember), putting him in an even worse situation than before your intervention.

He survives, gets back up, and has a very sad/helpless look on his face. I remember that scene so well because it was the only time that any karma centric game challenged your decisions.

Oh, and KOTOR 2 was a brilliant game but LucasArt's impatience with the development time really hurt it. Especially the ending.

Now I have another one: Darwinia. The moment you get Armour and Darwinians start fighting for their land. They're so incredibly badass - it's not brave to fight when you have power armour and a massive chainsaw in hand, everyone can do it.

Bravery is when you're seven ****ing pixels tall and rush en masse enemy positions AND RIP THE VIRUS A NEW ARSEHOLE WITH A GIANT ****ING CANNON, DESPITE THE ANTS THAT GRAB YOUR COMRADES AND DRAG THEM AWAY SCREAMING.

That's bravery. Roach? Soap? Marcus Fenix? Pussies, they're little cowardly children compared to seven pixel Darwinians.

Anyone who watched three Darwinian armour vehicles plow deep into enemy territory against all odds, deploy into three cannons and blast the enemy critters to smithereens can confirm: Darwinians are the most badass entity to ever grace the display of your computer.

Back