Most Powerful Gaming Moments

While I think MW2 is an alright game, I think it was made like most modern films, with constant action because kids these days get upset if there is a lull period with lots of dialogue or periods without gunfights. New age kids just want to shoot stuff, they might as well have just made it an arcade game.

I would have to say after giving it some thought my most powerful moment I would remember was from

Red Dead Redemption:
When John is killed, it felt like I had lost something/someone in real life, it was quite shocking actually

Activision publishing MW doesn't stop anyone else making games does it? I'm sure the people that buy the game derive fun from it.

it stops them making original games and they become more risk averse. Just look at how many FPS there are out there, look at how some series become casualised like rainbow six, ghost recon or splinter cell.

Publishers see them making a ****ton of money so they all copy them. Heck its hard to tell the difference between MW2 and the new MoH o_O

all action games have now just copied the formula:

mp with xp, levels and unlocks
overpowered machine guns that are better than every other gun cos of high rate of fire, an absence of recoil and a big clip
guns with NO recoil (seriously i dont get this one! Just plain why!?!? Its really annoying when you notice it and it nevers gets out of your head!)
killstreaks etc

so yes i can blame activision, i can also blame every other publisher and i can blame every other nitwit who bought these games supporting a gimping of FPS, no dedicated servers and $15 map packs

at least i bought my copy used and never bought the dlc so i never supported activision, only gamestation; a lesser of 2 evils.

videogamestate.jpg

i didnt make the pic but come on they do look similar, which is kinda my point

modern day military shooters with real world weapons.
Erroneous logic is erroneous.

MW's interpretation of 'modern' 'combat' was unique and a product of the design philosophy of Infinity Ward.

MoH and BC2 ripped it off wholesale while adding very little of their own stuff (hey let's just backend some classes onto MW, that'll make a great Battlefield game), even though their series predate MW.

Your thinking that somehow the MW model is the only way--nay, the correct way--that games depicting modern military combat should be designed shows how much influence the series has had on you.

How so?

They publish it, people buy it.
That is how so. The games are made because it is pretty much a certainty that they will be bought. If people stop accepting the typical garbage then developers are forced to deliver something better or fail.

Not really. At first I thought those are three screenshots from one game, but then it was explained that those are three screenshots from three different games, made by three different developers, published by three different publishers. A very, very sad state of affairs indeed.

Hey guys several puzzle games involve coloured blocks in some way.

Hey guys several RPGs contain some variety of menu system to direct combat.

Hey guys several platformers involve jumping around in colourful environments.

STATE OF THE INDUSTRY.

Your post makes no sense. You write about shared general mechanics. Point here is that the environments, weapons and gameplay mechanics are almost identical in three (supposedly) completely different games.

I don't agree with you, Krynn. I don't believe that Activision is hindering the innovation of games developers. Perhaps it won't help the larger games companies to try something new, but because they're also doing 'the same thing over and over', they're not going to change whatever Activision does.

The state of the larger market I don't think will have much effect on the smaller games developers who have always been more prone to innovation, anyway.

Besides, if people are buying it, they're clearly enjoyable games. Eventually people will get bored of them and then something new will come out. It's how it works naturally. Why should it be any faster?

Believing you should be encouraging people to buy different games because you don't like the ones they're playing doesn't quite sit right in my mind.

Your post makes no sense. You write about shared general mechanics. Point here is that the environments, weapons and gameplay mechanics are almost identical in three (supposedly) completely different games.
I was writing about things that could easily be expressed in screenshots of other, similar games within the same genre and be mistaken for one another. But hey, let's examine your "point":

Identical environments: one is an industrial corridor (and I should add, in a futuristic setting), one is an outdoor desert location, the other is a doorway in a house. Real similar. Unless you meant to say colour palette or something, in which case these are hardly the best shots to judge this by since they're all covered in that dumb blood effect (yeah, not too fond of that, but hey).

Identical weapons: no they aren't. I can't say for sure what the gun in Medal of Honor is, but the gun in Killzone is definitely not an M4 (the gun pictured in MW2), since it's futuristic and the weaponry is fictional. They all have a holographic sight, though, perhaps that's what caught your attention? Anyway, god forbid three separate games should share a single gun, right? Especially considering two of them use real world modern weaponry. Here's something you may not have considered: each of these games has more than one weapon. Who'da thunk.

Identical gameplay: based on what, exactly? I'm not going to try and defend the diversity of the genre since I'm well aware of the similarities between shooters at the moment (iron sights lol), so here's a fun fact instead: all three of those shots are taking place in different game modes. The Killzone shot appears to be from single player (can't be sure, but the dude on the left doesn't have a name over his head so), the Medal of Honor one is from competitive multiplayer, and the MW2 one is from spec-ops, a 2-player coop mode in which you defend a point from waves of enemies. Yeah, real identical. Funny how actually knowing stuff about a game can, like, empower you to make informed statements about it, and stuff.

Finally, what do you mean by "supposedly" completely different? According to who? As far as I'm aware, no one is claiming that these games are unique, including the developers (hype speak aside perhaps, but who really listens to that).

Sorry, but how is judging the "state of affairs" re: the gaming industry based on three incredibly situational screenshots valid in any way? Yeah, shooters haven't evolved a great deal in a while now, yeah there are a few Modern Warfare knock-offs making bank (not to say MW wholly invented the formula), but to say they're all identical based on this alone is kind of a stretch.

Just to say, the example given does lend a lot of bias. One could easily compare a screenshot of Half-Life 2 and Portal and point out that the gravity gun looks awfully similar to the Portal gun.

My flatmate walked into my room last year and said something to the effect of "What games that? Why's it got the portal gun?" while I was playing one of the HL2 games.

Just to bring this back on topic, I really enjoyed playing Max Payne. That game must have given me some of the best moments in gaming, and I felt I was truly absorbed in the storyline at points.

I guess I should mention World of Warcraft... it's hard to be specific in it since I spent literally thousands of hours playing it, but there were definitely many moments that have exemplified why I enjoy multiplayer gaming. There have also been times I don't want to remember. I guess that's all part of it. But I mean... stepping up to some of the major bosses for the first time or facing off in epic pvp... winning a close arena match or getting a last second heal off...things like that make me want to play again. The fact that those moments are few and far between is what makes me not want to. Still, they happend and they were certainly powerful moments.

Back