Movement in HL2.

Originally posted by lambda^2
Hey EVIL, from where do you have that concept art? I thought I knew all the published pictures and videos by now...

Check the properties of the picture.

I wanna see a combine soldier climbing down the rope and then I light the rope on fire. If ropes can catch on fire and the combine have an AI routine for something like that then that would be cool.

the concept art can be found on ****** in the conceptart gallery

Originally posted by The Mullinator
I wanna see a combine soldier climbing down the rope and then I light the rope on fire. If ropes can catch on fire and the combine have an AI routine for something like that then that would be cool.

haha yeah... that would bee cool.. like they climb upwarts in panic. or they try to swing the rope to the side so that they can climb on a ridge or something like that.

Good idea. Im also gonna start making some of the test maps. If we can convert them i migh as well i suppose.

i think they should have lean and prone and all that crap but have it as a extra in the controls i think lean is really cool cos u can like lean out and fire then quickly lean back. and yea prone would be cool too.

Originally posted by Farrowlesparrow
Good idea. Im also gonna start making some of the test maps. If we can convert them i migh as well i suppose.
Ya im starting to learn how to use Hammer so I can make test maps for HL2, might as well learn it now and save valuable time that will be taken from playing HL2 once its released.

Heh. Is it definate that we can convert our maps. Im not going to end up making all these useless maps am I?

I think they said somewhere that you will be able to convert them. At least I hope. :p

Originally posted by Wesisapie
I'm all for keeping the same HL1 movement system, and as someone else said, perhaps a climb function.

Also, it would be good if the whole movement felt less slidey, and more like actually walking (not too much though, i hate extra view bob etc). Maybe if your gun looked as if you were walking instead of just standing still. (I think that was the case in the movies, which looked good as far as movement went)

I seem to recall a q/a in the "Valve info only" thread about the movement being physically simulated and as a result different in feel than the HL1 movement (less slidey I presume). And after playing through HL1 again this weekend, I was pleading for peek keys :)

edit: Here it is:

Originally posted by CptTrips

In-game, how will momentum effect the player? Example, if you were to jump forward about 5 feet and land on a very narrow beam in real-life, your momentum would cause you to overshoot your intended landing space, causing you to fall off the other side . Will this happen in HL2 as well? Or will you just stop, ala HL1?

The player is physically simulated. I'd have to check with Jay to find out how quickly you can accelerate/decelerate. Half-Life 1's player movement was done in a totally different way.

I don't have an opinion either way about prone or lean because I haven't played the game yet, but one plus for these features is that they might make you take your time, thus making the game feel considerably longer. :naughty: :|

Back