Music of HL2

K

kohoyin

did anyone else realize how good the sound track was during the demo with the AI and the Car ?

anyone know of place to d/l them?

I liked the G-man song. That fit him PERFECTLY, that little creepy bastard.

If we could wait patiently for the game, we wouldn't all be hanging out here debating endless minutae, would we?

Already HL1 music was one of my favourite soundtracks in games. The main theme stil rocks. I have no doubt that HL2 music will be great.

YEAH!! FINALLY A MUSIC POST!! I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THE MUSIC IN HL AND HL2!! Anyone hear the music in the Jail Cell where Gordon fights those small flying drones? That's absolutely awesome and sounds just like HL1!!

I also loved the music we can hear in the street while fighting those Combines (with Barney) and while driving on the dryed ocean with the buggy. It fits perfectly the action and it's nervous like hell.
What is the HL Main theme by the way ? The Valve song ?

HL2 music, from the demos, sounds absolutley stunning, I loved the original Half-life sound tracks, heh, I ripped them to my hard drive and listen to them every now and then, the music fits perfectly! its stunning, I think the sound is as good as the graphics!

The Valve Song is good :D

As for the HL music, of course you can't download it - it'll have been specially written for HL2 and will be released with the game.

The music is dynamic, it changes as the scenario changes, so getting the actual songs would be hard as it's kind of one continuous stream.

Originally posted by Gorgon
Music will be taken from the matrix.... am i right?

No... I'm pretty sure Half-Life 2 has its own, unique music.

I thought HL1's music was excellent, and HL2's is just as good.

They should release a HL1 and HL2 soundtrack in one, that'd be awesome! :D

maybe a DVD Limited Edition's bonus :]
HL² will rock anyway: it has everything ! Eye candy graphism, physics, high quality sounds, and... an awesome soundtrack !

Best Half Life 1 music (IMO)

Hurricane Strings
DATA
Sirens in the Distance

Gabe said they paid alot of attention to the music and sound fx for HL2. So it hopefully will be better than the first. :bounce:

the music in HL is not dynamic, its just not palying all the time, certain tracks are palyed at certain times for atmosphere and it works really well i think.

Err... I dunno MaDMaXX it sounded pretty dynamic to me, similar to how Halo's music is mixed, but its own style.

I do indeed love how the music and sound is sounding in Half-Life 2 from what i've seen so far. Especially the gun-fight scene. That song is just so fitting.... the guns themselves sound like it's part of the song. ;)

Well I dunno if it's dynamic (ie. the music actually reacting to what the player is doing), but damn it sounds good....

Who made the music in HL1 btw? Sure hope the same composer is on HL2 then..

OK, afaik the same sound and music guys from hl are doing it in hl2, which is great.

I love the way you gradually, then completely stepped down during your post Lifthz, it was sweet :D

Anyway, no, it didn't have dynamic music, it was cd audio tracks, the music didn't play unless they wanted the atmosphere, it worked a treat in my opinion, most games around that time had music all the time, which is god damn annoying. You can't hear all the cool sounds, and of course most people turned it off and as a result never heard the music.

In a word hl's music was queued.

I really like the Valve song... so dark and scary. Really hope that HL2 has the same kind of music too.

Originally posted by Gorgon
Music will be taken from the matrix.... am i right?
what the heck gives you that idea?

oh, and sorry to be out of topic, but why the hell do these forums take so long to load especially when you want to quote someone? :mad:

well i played the last game with the music off..... i dunno why people like the music (no flaming). i like the feel of the envirment and the sounds of the city. wind and monsters. they give you a better feel of like your in the game. but hey thats just me

Yatta: I know same here. I E-mailed Apos and wondered why it was so slow, but he hasn’t replied yet.

I think that it goes slow because it is so many users online in this forum.

Anyway, let’s get back to the music of HL2. :)

Originally posted by Novad
Who made the music in HL1 btw? Sure hope the same composer is on HL2 then..

Kelly Bailey - Sound, Music

Kelly did all of the music and sound effects for Half-Life and wrote sound code to create character speech and DSP reverb effects. He spent last summer and fall working primarily on Half-Life game design. (Translation: spent 6 months in a big, trashed corner office, all day & night with Guthrie, Casali & Riller eating bad food, making bad jokes, working out tons-o-puzzles, and never, ever seeing the sun. It was great.)
And yes, He is doing the Music for Half-Life 2

Source http://valvesoftware.com/people.htm

I thought I'd make an observation: It sounds as if Madmaxx was talking about HL1 music, while Lifthz was talking about HL2. Or maybe not, but it seemed that way to me.

Originally posted by Loke
Yatta: I know same here. I E-mailed Apos and wondered why it was so slow, but he hasn’t replied yet.

I think that it goes slow because it is so many users online in this forum.

Anyway, let’s get back to the music of HL2. :)
Ah, atleast I know it's not a problem from my browser/connection. :)

In Half-Life 1, the music WAS NOT dynamic. It was set to play at preset locations throughout the game. I still thought it had amazing sounds, that really added to the feeling of the game.

In Half-Life 2, reportedly the sound WILL be dynamic. If anyone here has played Aliens vs Predator 2, you would know what dynamic sounds are like. The music would be playing nice and good, then if you were about to turn a corner where danger lurked, the music would start picking up (actually, a different track, slightly more intense would be faded in over the main track). When the aliens or predators or marines that were lurking around showed themselves or jumped out at you, the music would get very intense (again, a third, more intense track would be faded in over the last track). When it all died down, the main track would be faded in to get your heartrate back down.

That game had some very thrilling moments, one of my favorite action thriller games ever, though multiplayer had extreme lag.

Back on subject to HL². I found the demo's music pretty good, we shall see how it turns out in the full game. I have no doubt it will be great.

i loved the music in HL1 and in the demo video for HL2, the music that started play like a split second before the video ended. That sounded like it would be awesome. It was like heavy metal. bum bum bumbuuuum

HL2 stone, you would have enjoyed hl1 with the music, i know EXACTLY where you're coming from with the distraction thingy, but thats the great part i mentioned about hl1. It only had a bit of music, it was spread throughout the game at key sequences and it was quiet for the most part, let you hear the sound fx properly.

Lifthz and myself were speaking about both hl1 and 2, though the reference to dynamic sound was to hl1.

Hmm, i hadn't heard or seen anywhere about hl2 having dynamic sound, anyone got a source for that? (pun not intended) :D

Also, if anyone ever played the orginal X-Wing for pc, that had dynamic music, played all the time and went calm during normal flight, but went hectic during dogfights, ace.

For the music to play in HL1, you had to have the CD in the drive right? I hope it's not like that for HL2 since I don't usually play wiht the CD in drive.

Originally posted by Tredoslop
We should have John Williams do that music!

(SARCASM!)

Auctually.. I think it fits. I dont like the ambient music at all. it doesnt fit a pulse pounding game such as half-life 2. But I did like that ambient track with the flute from teh original half-life. That was interesting. I wonder if a symphony would be involved. I would like that very much.

-Justin

John William is the guy that does the Star Wars themes right? Actually, he could work on Half-Life 2. It doesn't mean it would be the same style of songs at all. Musicians are versatile artists...

Anyone else love how the pistol in HL2 sounds? It is very original.

Personally i love how it sounds (but then i'm biased)
Its original as far as commercial games is concerned.
Check out my CS sound pak (http://maxsound.far2cool.com)
the pistol sound for the usp i made, as well as the glock has that style of sound in it.

I don't mean to bump this thread, but I seriously love the music in Half-Life. I like the grungy techno/industrial feel to it. I've heard that people want "orchestral" type music in Hl2, and I think that's sort of cliche. The music of Half-Life gives the game a different feel, and I'm surprised that there are many people who played through the single player without the music. The ending of the game wouldn't have been the same without that fruity (yet awesome) music.

absolutly !
The industrial-electronic feeling is amazing. Orchestral music fits perfectly to games such as Mafia or horror games like Resident Evil or others...
Half-Life has its own music style, and this is great. (It's just like the musics in DeusEx ! It's awesome: the musics always reminds me the levels, the action... it's like magic :cool: )

Back