New DooM III Screenshot

That doesn't look half-bad but I wish they would take the game more seriously.

Skeletons with shoulder mounted rockets? I dunno.:dozey:

The only thing Doom 3 has going for itself is the lighting technology, in general, the game is damn ugly. Sure super-high poly models, but the textures always looked stretched or of low quality, and their excessive use of reflections and bump mapping make everything look like plastic.

I have to agree that the monster itself doesn't look very impressive but the environment is quite dazzling. Not to forget, this is indeed a magazine scan which means that it is not being viewed in true high resolution.

Originally posted by LoneDeranger

Skeletons with shoulder mounted rockets? I dunno.:dozey:
It's been like that since the original DooM series. This monster is making a return.

The models actually have less polygons than HL2 models... but they use normal mapping on everything to make the models seem like they have more polygons... though, if they are going to rely so heavily on normal maps I wish they would bump up the detail of the normal maps so the shading on the models doesn't look low-res... and I still think it looks like plastic.

... and explain exactly what is "dazzling" about the environment.

Though I am more hyped up about Half-Life 2 at the moment, I will do my best to defend DooM III. The game itself looks much better in motion, and with the lighting flashing around, you don't notice so called "low quality textures" or low-polygon and plastic-like modls. Motion is the key here.

You might claim that Yatta is speaking out of his arse, but I have seen this game in motion. If you haven't, it's time you take a look at some videos on the net.

... the problem with that statement is that I have seen it in motion.
I was quite excited about DooM 3 but I'm just not very impressed anymore... I mean... it looks good... but compared to all the next-gen games coming it just doesn't stand out as much now.

Originally posted by Yatta
It's been like that since the original DooM series. This monster is making a return. [/B]

oh i remember that... i hated those guys...and the ones that looked kinda similar but did the fire thing

how did doomII end, by the way? i totally forgot...i don't think i even figured out how to beat the last level... (which has nothing to do with doom3, sorry)

I never was much of a fan of doom. I'm not really excited at all about it.

Anubis

With games like HL2, Stalker, Killzone, etc... that have really great art design, Doom3 is starting to look a little dated... but that isn't a very flattering screenshot.
I'm still excited for the game since I still believe they really want to push the SP experience forward but recent interviews where they talk about building boss fights, adding physics and the delay, hint that they've been working more on tech than on content. It was the content that I was mainly looking forward to, not 'special' features like physics, shadows, etc...

Originally posted by Styloid
With games like HL2, Stalker, Killzone, etc...
Did you say Killzone? That game looks like crap.

Originally posted by Tredoslop
Hell no!
It looks awesome!
I just don't like the name.
Sorry, but I don't think anything the PS2 can handle can look better than DooM III (graphics wise). No can do.

Looks sweet graphics-wise and is a much better screenshot than the usual "dark-shadowy blood walls monster" screenshot we usually see everyday.
Good find.

I like the Doom III technology, but every time I see a screenshot I always go:

"WTF is that?"

:)

Yeah I think Killzone looks good... the engine doesn't seem that great, textures are a little low res, polygon count a little low... but I really like the way they 'painted' everything in the game. I remember thinking this of a lot of Doom3 screenshots at first but the latest few aren't as impressive besides the self-shadows and obvious stuff. Then again, I'm kind of judging these screenshots as pictures which really won't have much relation when judging the actual game as games...

Originally posted by Yatta
Did you say Killzone? That game looks like crap.

Never. Imho. Sure, technically not a revolution, but art design and the whole filter that the game uses for its graphical appearance simply makes the game look so damn real. An excellent art design and graph. appearance for a sci fi game.

The only thing that interests me about Doom3 is the way they have 'ported' the old 2D creatures into this new 21st century 3D engine . Makes me curious about the ones we haven't seen anything of (such as the Cyberdemon)...

Yeah I can't wait to see the cyber-demon aswell. I bet they'll release one pic of it right before the release to stir people up.

Killzone lol, it looks shite. Have you seen the view distance, it's almost as bad as dynasty warriors.

it looks funny, not scary....

but I will buy Doom3 anyway... :)

The only thing Doom 3 has going for itself is the lighting technology, in general, the game is damn ugly. Sure super-high poly models, but the textures always looked stretched or of low quality, and their excessive use of reflections and bump mapping make everything look like plastic.
i really like how doom3 looks, the lighting, textures and models all suit the atmosphere of how the game should be, i think that the same graphics in half life wouldn't work, but they are very effective and look amazing in doom3

if they made doom3 more a primal fleshy organic and nasty game like silent hill 3......with twisted monsters and f*ked up locations and imagery, it would be the best horror game EVER.....but the way the monsters are lookin now, its just the typical zombie droning on which makes it wank....IN COMPARISON to silent hill 3

i'm still gonna get it though

DOOM is going to be sick, corpse art, so many dead body's leying in cornors etc, and HELL will be freaky, wall made of flesh and move and work against you. it will be quite freaky imo

they had to ****down one it to be able to do the normal mapping etc and still make it able to support old video cards geforce 2 and up

Originally posted by EVIL
they had to ****down one it to be able to do the normal mapping etc and still make it able to support old video cards geforce 2 and up

... So does HL2 , HL1 models have better shapes than that.

Originally posted by DimitriPopov
... So does HL2 , HL1 models have better shapes than that.

Look Dimitri, Doom3 looks bad ass, get the alpha if you doubt its graphical prowess. It easily gives HL2 competition. There's no way around it.

I know it looks badass , I have the Alpha. But it just doesnt impress me as much. Ill certainly play it though.

Doom III looks great! I still don't see why Half-life 2 fans are still hating it so much. I will admit I am looking forward to this game with high hopes.:thumbs:

P.S. does anyone know of where to get the Alpha leak? I want to try it out. I've tried KaZaA, but their files are fake, and the internet sites that I've been to just lead me around in circles.

Originally posted by A True Canadian
Doom III looks great! I still don't see why Half-life 2 fans are still hating it so much. I will admit I am looking forward to this game with high hopes.:thumbs:

P.S. does anyone know of where to get the Alpha leak? I want to try it out. I've tried KaZaA, but their files are fake, and the internet sites that I've been to just lead me around in circles.

Arrr shiver me warez talk!

Originally posted by manny_c44
This message will self destruct in one minute.

The fuse must be faulty.

And yet again the argument with the little fan boys and the people who actaully bother to read about Doom 3's info.

Doom 3 in my opinion looks better than Half-Life 2. But does that bother me in the slightest? no. Spank you.

Originally posted by Dux
The fuse must be faulty.

Well none of the mods starting bitching, so the message will stay. Doom3 alpha is one of the easiest files to get off of the net, so many people have it, I downloaded all 300+ Megs of it during school, which for an otherwise unstable P2P program is pretty damn good.

It's amazing how a 300mb rar file can unpack at 1GB... How big will the full game get? 5GB? c'mon!

Originally posted by )[eVo]( Para
It's amazing how a 300mb rar file can unpack at 1GB... How big will the full game get? 5GB? c'mon!

True, true...and I'm not even sure why. My guess is that they will reuse most of the textures through out the game.

IMO I see no difference between Doom 3 and HL2. They both look very good, and I'll buy them both. And I get 30 FPS straight in the Doom 3 Alpha with my 1.2 ghz amd athlon with ati 9000 and 512 megs of RAM.

Back