NEW HighQuality CS:Source Pics & Jess Cliffe Interview

Well, not if CS:S is the official multiplayer component for HL2, which is what the thread is currently discussing. I'm sure a mod wouldn't wait until after 9 pages to jump in and regulate.

I wish folks were less interested in being hall monitors and more interrested in adding to a discussion. For example: What IS the deal with these emoticons?

:farmer: <- Farmer. WTF?

Does anyone else find that MP modes for predominantly single player games often feel tacked on and just plain crappy. INITIALLY.

They usually fix a few things up later on through patches. But first impressions last for me and when my first exposure to a game is negative it's hard for me to change. The Doom3 mp is the perfect example of a tack-on job. 4 players, 5 maps, straight out deathmatch. Clearly no thought went into developing it and it will probably be fun for a day or two before people get bored of the repetiveness and complete lack of depth.

That's why i've never really cared for a HL2 mp based in the HL2 universe.

I guess I have no right to want another multiplayer... because I know whatever it is I will get sucked into CS:S and play that til the next incarnation of CS comes out..

What the hell did they put in that game to make it so addictive?

Mr-Fusion said:
Does anyone else find that MP modes for predominantly single player games often feel tacked on and just plain crappy. INITIALLY.

They usually fix a few things up later on through patches. But first impressions last for me and when my first exposure to a game is negative it's hard for me to change. The Doom3 mp is the perfect example of a tack-on job. 4 players, 5 maps, straight out deathmatch. Clearly no thought went into developing it and it will probably be fun for a day or two before people get bored of the repetiveness and complete lack of depth.

That's why i've never really cared for a HL2 mp based in the HL2 universe.

Finally, a person who's looking at it POSITIVELY.

All of you saying that "why HL2 doesn't have an MP", should think how it will be better than others. I'm sure we're bored from generic deathmatch /CTFs. So let's just think if there was a HL2 MP, how much fun can we have? one day with physics? two days? maybe a whole month. Bored, are we? indeed. Cs:s has at least assured more replay value (updates, bigger fanbase, more better maps) - and I clearly want valve to make HL2 the greatest SP experience ever, one which is worth playing again and again - MPs come and go. I seriously wouldn't want them to waste time on something as generic as a vanilla DM.

Something like Battlefield 1942, has a stupid SP campaign, yet good MP. Is it remembered in the great books? No. Replayable: MP.

Something like Half-life has a great SP campaign, and a hum-ho DM MP. Is it remembered in the great books? Yes. Replayable: SP.

So every game is good in there own respect, as long as HL2 has a awesome SP campaingn, and even cs:s (which I might add looks stunning!) should be a great package.

Not much of a fan of CS....but im sure CS:s will change that , looks great

/me = sad. ;(

you can say what you want,

'i hate dm. it's boring.'
'who cares about half-lifes mp, sp all the way!'
'ill be too busy playing cs to even care about hl2'

fact is, i know it, and you know it. you all want some brand new mp from valve that's never been done before, and, to quote the man himself, 'blows our socks off'

EDIT: oh yeah, apart from that, those screens really do look great :)

the eagles - hotel california

For those who are saying we've been screwed: isn't CS:S a FAR better quality MP than HLDM was for HL1? So if we are being screwed, how badly have we been screwed with HL1 then?

CS:S is a higher quality MP, and it isn't my favourite choice for MP either, but if you don't like it, tough luck.
And besides, a HL2DM with the manipulator wouldn't have worked anyway according to Yahn:
http://www.halflife2.net/forums/showthread.php?p=471042&highlight=manipulator#post471042

PvtRyan said:
For those who are saying we've been screwed: isn't CS:S a FAR better quality MP than HLDM was for HL1? So if we are being screwed, how badly have we been screwed with HL1 then?

CS:S is a higher quality MP, and it isn't my favourite choice for MP either, but if you don't like it, tough luck.
And besides, a HL2DM with the manipulator wouldn't have worked anyway according to Yahn:
http://www.halflife2.net/forums/showthread.php?p=471042&highlight=manipulator#post471042

Good point, ryan.

Half the people anticipating HL2's MP are only looking forwad to kill people using physics and the manipulator gun. So without that, you basically have your generic death match with normal guns.

And if someone really wants HL2 maps for multiplayer, I'm sure someone will make a replica of them for cs:s. Maybe valve has been generous enough to include HL2 maps in Cs:s, you never know...

Don't you agree that the CT,T models look incompatible with the high quality environments ? I mean they look like they ve been cut out from a magazine and stuck inside the map (they look like cartoon) ?

:dozy:

lans, I personally didn't expect nor want HLDM. From what Gabe Newell had said about multiplayer, I expected it to be something amazing and would raise the bar for MP gaming. What I did not expect was the same freakin' game that has existed for years, but with prettier graphics. I thought I'd get vehicles, teamwork, expansive maps, and a chance to use the manipulator against other enemies.

HL2 MP =/= HL2DM
Don't assume it to be otherwise.

You know what? I like TFC more than CS. I wouldn't mind CTF with an HL2 theme if it was polished to the nth degree. Hell, UT2004 isn't really all that revolutionary, but it's still damn good. Return to Castle Wolfenstein? Good SP. Amazing MP.

As I said, tacking on CS as the HL2 multiplayer just seems like a cheap way out, throwing consistency to the birds.

Theres a reason cs is the #1 online game and HL1 isn't, because it wasn't very good. And I don't see HL2s being that much better. Sure itll be fun at first to play around with the manipulator, but itll get old really quick. Cause theres not much substance to DM.

brink's said:
Theres a reason cs is the #1 online game and HL1 isn't, because it wasn't very good. And I don't see HL2s being that much better. Sure itll be fun at first to play around with the manipulator, but itll get old really quick. Cause theres not much substance to DM.

Why the Hell do you people automatically assume that it would have been DM?

My god...

Well TF2 will be pretty much what you want, right? That should be coming out pretty soon afterwards, look like you'll jus thave to fork out the extra cash ;)

Assuming TF2 will be a total revamp of what we saw in 1999, I guess I will.

*Sigh*

I would LOL if TF2 multiplayer was CS:Source.

By the way I am aware that this makes no sense at all :D

Absinthe said:

My god...

quoted for emphasis.

you could make a HL2 themed multiplayer game, that would have been innovative, interesting and as addictive as CS... the basic setting is already there "Freedom fighters vs. Combine forces"

Rocketman9mm said:
it goes back to the origional cs release. since gooseman is a lefty he made everything left handed. In doing so he mutilated the guns and put certain parts on the wrong side of the gun so you could see everything from a lefty view. when they added the right handed side they just mirrored everything. SO: before right handed models- ejection port was correct, but slide lock lever and mag release were on wrong side. Right Handed: levers and buttons on correct side but the ejection port is now on the wrong side. And I can't figure out for the life of me why they have never bothered to officially remodel them to do the correct thing.

same thing goes for all the guns, not just pistols.
Would have thought they might have bothered for the Source remake, but evidently not.

I don't think it has anything to do with bothering, it just looks better, a lot of games are like this. The guns would be boring if you couldn't see the ejector port etc in action.

Absinthe said:

My god...
I didn't assume it would be DM, i assumed it would be crap.

If Valve have indeed created some Combine vs Resistance mp mode, with objectives, vehicles, maps designed around the use of physics...and anything else that's considered cool i'll step back and applaud them till my throat is sore.

But to create that along with HL2's single player porting over HL1, BS, CS, CZ, OP4, DoD, TFC and making TF2 that would have been quite an effort.

Crusader said:
I don't think it has anything to do with bothering, it just looks better, a lot of games are like this. The guns would be boring if you couldn't see the ejector port etc in action.
I don't think they're boring like that. I, like many others, enjoy seeing realistic firing actions in a game, so I'd much rather prefer to see the casings eject in the right direction.

Mr-Fusion said:
I didn't assume it would be DM, i assumed it would be crap.

If Valve have indeed created some Combine vs Resistance mp mode, with objectives, vehicles, maps designed around the use of physics...and anything else that's considered cool i'll step back and applaud them till my throat is sore.

But to create that along with HL2's single player porting over HL1, BS, CS, CZ, OP4, DoD, TFC and making TF2 that would have been quite an effort.

On what basis could you assume that it would be crap? I mean, I can't assume that it would be good either, but I would have appreciated the effort.

Frankly, I'd take a new MP game over a Source port.

Abom said:
I don't think they're boring like that. I, like many others, enjoy seeing realistic firing actions in a game, so I'd much rather prefer to see the casings eject in the right direction.

Oh c'mon Abom it's not like you noticed ingame, and besides if you pc can handle it which I know from your previous posts it can, you should download custom models - there are lots of high quality models available at the goat gun shop or even csnation.

CB | Para said:
Oh c'mon Abom it's not like you noticed ingame, and besides if you pc can handle it which I know from your previous posts it can, you should download custom models - there are lots of high quality models available at the goat gun shop or even csnation.
I didn't have a wide knowledge of guns back when I used to play CS, so it didn't bother me because I just didn't know that it was incorrect. I'm not saying that this is going to ruin the game, I just know that it'll irk me for a while when I first start playing ;)

Alright here's a solution for both you and Abom, hud_draw 0 lol ;)

you guys dont even know if it is coming out of the right side or not. The player could be moving to the right and it just seems as if the casing is coming out to the left while you're reall just passing it in mid air?

PatPwnt said:
you guys dont even know if it is coming out of the right side or not. The player could be moving to the right and it just seems as if the casing is coming out to the left while you're reall just passing it in mid air?
No, look at the ejection port on the glock. It is clearly facing to the left, meaning the shell will eject in that direction.

it will be good to be able to nade cars to push when onto other players heads! :)

Diablo2k said:
CS-Nation: Is CS: Source the only multiplayer game shipping with Half-Life 2?
cliffe: Half-Life 2 will come with CS: Source. Right now, we do not plan to include any other multiplayer games with Half-Life 2.

:(

what!!! noooooo ffs, thats crap

tommie said:
Anybody know if bullets still go through walls?

they do

im gunna laugh when hl2 comes out and you all see that its got hl2 multiplayer and i will come here and point and laugh at the pessimists

it doesnt look that good to me, kind of cartoonish. im not that excited about this game.

You know... I feel somehow ashamed when a Valve employee posts on these forums, I feel ashamed for everything that is said, and I just hope against hope that they just posted when they got the chance, and they don't have time to heed all the negative stuff that goes on here...

It's like I feel personally responsible for all the negativity, it's not good for my health ;)

Crusader said:
You know... I feel somehow ashamed when a Valve employee posts on these forums, I feel ashamed for everything that is said, and I just hope against hope that they just posted when they got the chance, and they don't have time to heed all the negative stuff that goes on here...

It's like I feel personally responsible for all the negativity, it's not good for my health ;)

Lock yourself in an empty room, maybe that will help :)

On the other hand, I could just not visit the forums, that would seem more reasonable.

But I'm not going to do that, either :p

Back