nice hitboxes!!

well u shouldnt have to know anything else then aim AT the enemy!

not left,right,under or above him :p

they should fix it!

and per-poly-pixel stuff isnt really necisarry they should just make it so the boxes stay in the player and not 2 meter behind him :rolling:

on a different note, would it be extremely hard to add decal hits to the t's and ct's, seeing as the hostages have them as well as models and props such as buckets and computers?

Well, the guy has 0 ping and is using lag compensation, so it's his fault...

Umm, I might be wrong but: The client-side hit boxes are the last known positions of the player you are looking at. When you shoot, a hit is detected by the *server* using lag compensation, so it shouldn't make any difference?

uuum dont they already have decals???

atleast they added them in the beta

That video was slowed down obviously to show off how crappy the hitboxes are....I'm talking about the huh video..

Am i wrong in saying that on the first vid you'd have to shoot IN FRONT of the guy and on the second he shot BEHIND?

If so eh!?

To add to the thread, I've often been spectating in first person mode and seen people shooting no where near a player, and that person dying. It's really sad...Just a question, what exactly does UT2k4 use?

DarkSonic said:
To add to the thread, I've often been spectating in first person mode and seen people shooting no where near a player, and that person dying. It's really sad...Just a question, what exactly does UT2k4 use?

ut04 uses hitboxes, all games (i think) use hitboxes, only doom3 uses the perpixelthingy

Full Spectrum Warrior uses per-polygon, but it doesn't make that much of a difference when playing against AI.

the per-poly hit box thing rocks, thats what i love about d3, but its useless in multiplayer becuase of the all the dynamic shadows. And since cs:s dont have any dynamic shadows, the per-poly thing would be perfect. we need to make a petition on this.

FierceDeityLink1 said:
Full Spectrum Warrior uses per-polygon, but it doesn't make that much of a difference when playing against AI.

u sure FSW uses per-pixel?????

u cant even aim in the game, so its really useless

Everyone complans about hitboxes. Its funny how 99% of the time my shots hit perfect.

i'm not sure if what i've been experiencing is just inexperience with a newish game but in the short time i've played it i've noticed that sometimes i'll be shooting at someone for ages and they'll be doing the same, and neither or us are dying. It seems worse than in other games - i.e. not just a terrible aim. I'm talking about when people are stationary btw, not moving so i don't know if it could be explained by hitboxes or lag or whatnot...

Guys, has the netcode been changed from 1.6? This is what I would really like to know. If it's still the same, you need to change your network settings (ie. rates). The defaults are more or less for 56k modems, I think. If you've got a decent connection, you shouldn't be using update/cmdrates of like 20/30. They're not very accurate.

What kind of server settings did you have when that video was taken? Also, take into account things like ex_interp (or cl_interp as it seems to be now), rates, ping etc. At least in 1.6, if you were using proper rates yourself (25000, 101, 101, 0.009 on a server with high enough maxrates) and you were spectating a player with 0.1 interp, his shots would seem to "lag behind" and miss when he actually killed someone. This was very noticeable particularly with the awp.

Now, I haven't conducted any testing myself, at least not yet. But I've been playing on properly set up servers with 25k, 101, 101 and 0.009 and I seem to be doing just fine. Even hitting moving players is accurate for me. However, I've got a pretty good connection and I get like 10-15 ping on Finnish servers. So that also might explain why it works like a dream for me. I've played a couple of times on the hl2.net UK servers with around ~90 ping and the default rates, and yeah, it really was a bit of pain in the neck to play.

Why doesn't UT have this issue? I always lead my shots ahead of the person, and it always directly hits them, but that's just because of lag.

Evil^Milk said:
on a different note, would it be extremely hard to add decal hits to the t's and ct's, seeing as the hostages have them as well as models and props such as buckets and computers?

they do have them... they just show up randomly.

sometimes you can shoot someone (and only the first couple shots show up as decals) and there will be blood decals.. other times you can play for like 2 hours and not see one decal show up on a player.

they must have some limit on decals for players... also seems like decals can only be made when the player is alive, once they die you cant get a bullethole on em to save yer life.

The decals show up when you shoot an unarmored person.

Why doesn't UT have this issue? I always lead my shots ahead of the person, and it always directly hits them, but that's just because of lag.

Because it doesn't have lag prediction.

With counter strike no matter what ping you have, you have to aim at the same spot (seems to be a little bit behind for a moving target).

This obviously leads to unwanted side effects such as being shot behind a wall etc.

Ideally the only "real" disadvantage you should have as "laggier" player that if someone shoots you, his shot may get to the server first even though in reality you shot first. But a dead guy cant kill anyone, even if his "anti-lag" time stamp was behind his time of death. (I am sure if they did let "dead" people kill others with shots they fired behind earlier they'd get even more complaints - though it would be a much more "fair" anti-lag system).

Again I will mention that of course the getting shot behind the wall effect is increased by you and/or your opponent being lagged. This effect can be very disorientating and EXTREMELY annoying.

For these reasons its always good to kick laggier players in counter strike as they do effect the gameplay, unlike in UT. It would be nice if they would limit the lag prediction algorithms to about 150ms max (or remove them all together!)

The huh.avi was probably caused by incorrect physics simulation which is most likely a rare glitch (where the object appears to follow a different path on a client then it did on the server). As mentioned by someone previously increasing your rate would help if you have more available bandwidth. These sorts of problems occur in most online games because of lack of bandwidth and is most noticeable with falling objects (the player was jumping - falling). You may notice it with grenades occasionally not blowing up in the same location as they landed in other games.

I don't think a per-pixel or per-triangle hit box is going to help you out that much, as it is the hit-box is fairly detailed.

perrkele said:
Guys, has the netcode been changed from 1.6? This is what I would really like to know. If it's still the same, you need to change your network settings (ie. rates).

Since it's a brand new engine, yeah I think it's safe to assume they changed the netcode as well ;)

chriso20 said:
Am i wrong in saying that on the first vid you'd have to shoot IN FRONT of the guy and on the second he shot BEHIND?

If so eh!?

Yeh - those 2 vids contradict each other completely.

Judging the first vid I'd say we have to talk about something different here:

It seems like the hitboxes are indeed IN the right place, but the model is not. How about "laggy models" now?

About the per-polygon-detection, if that were implemented, then shouldn't we all have tiu use the same model for the game to be fair, I mean because cs has hitboxes we get to use all kinds of neat custom models, but with per-polygon-detection the game would be boring most of the times.
They should only let per-pixel-detection be used in tourney's to make them as fair as possible.

Oh yeah,I know this si not on the subject but I didn't want to make a seperate thread about this because its not that important, and maybe even be stupid, but.
When I used to use the sniperrifles there used to be a red dot in the middle of the crosshairs when in snipe mode, but now there isn't. Is that a general update of somekind or is my cs 1.6 ****ed up.

Lets all be leet and blame missed shots on crappy hitboxes or reg.

yawn

well this has be discussed before a couple times.....way to add another :hmph:
and when u do the command to bring up the hit boxes....those arnt the full on boxes....bring up the hitboxes...look how big they are outside someone that spawns...then shoot around them just missing them...it wont hit em

Milo 7 said:
because u cant aim, and shoot behind the enemy :p

Despite the hitboxes apparently being infront of the player model.

These two videos obviously contradict each other, the first showing hitboxes moving infront of the player model, and the second lagging behind.
This seems pretty inconclusive to me, and as stated before I have never had any problems hitting people, and everything always seems near, if not perfect.

Ass Grey Fox stated we would all have to use the same models if it would be pixel-by-pixel hitdetection, otherwise it would not be fair.

However, could it be that this command only shows some other hitboxes? Because I remember I was once messing around with a TFC model and finally when I used the command to look at the hitboxes they were like HUGE (10 meters). Though if I shot the hitbox I would not hit anything.

i have never ran into a problem like that... i think it might be the guys slow computer, because in his fps it says like 15-23 the whole time and well, that is real bad

-merc

The hitboxes are a lot better than when the beta started (which valve sorted out early on). I tried the thirdperson showhitboxes stuff myself and seriously its not as bad as it used to be. What you people are experiencing is due to the latency inherent with playing online.

Also the rate settings are definitely different now- anyone who tells you otherwise is lying or misinformed....these discrepencies between rates used and those which should be used probably doesn't help the whole latency issue.

And Chaops- if I remember rightly all your threads got closed on steampowered because you were an offensive, flaming so and so, who resorted to insults as soon as someones opinion differed to your own :thumbs:

[EDIT]- also, any vid made using FRAPS is practically useless because of the way it lags the users comp so much.

CB | Para said:
Since it's a brand new engine, yeah I think it's safe to assume they changed the netcode as well ;)

Yeah that might be true. But I seem to remember Valve talking about the multiplayer abilities of the Source games, saying that they are using the old netcode. That might have been old information though. I sent an e-mail about the netcode to Cliffe, hope I'll get an answer.

perrkele said:
Yeah that might be true. But I seem to remember Valve talking about the multiplayer abilities of the Source games, saying that they are using the old netcode. That might have been old information though. I sent an e-mail about the netcode to Cliffe, hope I'll get an answer.

I suspect they'll be using a migration of the old netcode with all the new enginefeatures taken into account.

smsKONG said:
The hitboxes are a lot better than when the beta started (which valve sorted out early on). I tried the thirdperson showhitboxes stuff myself and seriously its not as bad as it used to be. What you people are experiencing is due to the latency inherent with playing online.

Also the rate settings are definitely different now- anyone who tells you otherwise is lying or misinformed....these discrepencies between rates used and those which should be used probably doesn't help the whole latency issue.

And Chaops- if I remember rightly all your threads got closed on steampowered because you were an offensive, flaming so and so, who resorted to insults as soon as someones opinion differed to your own :thumbs:

[EDIT]- also, any vid made using FRAPS is practically useless because of the way it lags the users comp so much.

well i dont have full version.

but in the beta the hitboxes didnt get any better.
hitboxes always lagged behind the player!
i even tested it on teamates leaving spawn =D

and it wasnt because of crappy servers.
i always had 20-60 ping

and if it would have been lag i should have shot infront of them and not behind them

Milo 7 said:
well i dont have full version.

but in the beta the hitboxes didnt get any better.
hitboxes always lagged behind the player!
i even tested it on teamates leaving spawn =D

and it wasnt because of crappy servers.
i always had 20-60 ping

and if it would have been lag i should have shot infront of them and not behind them

If you watched any of the vids, you'd clearly see that the hitboxes are always ahead of the player.

Back