Ok I know most of you guys think guns are evil, but this right here is just nasty!

Why would you spend that much money on guns? Can anyone explain this to me? A bullet is a bullet. Wether it comes from a 50 cal or a 9mm glock it works exactly the same way if all you are doing is using it for personal protection/hobby.

Why would you spend that much money on guns? Can anyone explain this to me? A bullet is a bullet. Wether it comes from a 50 cal or a 9mm glock it works exactly the same way if all you are doing is using it for personal protection/hobby.

Can you shoot at 1000yds and well beyond with a 9mm? Even with calibers which reach extended ranges are affected quite a bit more by wind than heavy calibers like 50bmg. For instance 168gr and 175 gr are common weights for .308 bullets to get out to 1000yds, or you can use a 750gr Hornady Amax bullet for a .50 which is going to be affected a whole lot less by wind or other conditions.

Your statement is fairly ignorant. You can't go off roading in a Ferrari, but both it and Jeep's are both motor vehicles so they must have the same application according to your logic. You really don't have an understanding of shooting and it's various disciplines. That's ok but just know that you have no idea what you are talking about. There are 1000yd competitions regularly with .50's, and believe it or not some large game are hunted at extended distances with them. I saw an article just recently about some hunting guide that took a massive elk at extended range with a .50. I think I read it in Field and Stream which is a hunting magazine I was looking through at a Doctor's office.

I am not an expert on shooting. I do own 2 guns, 1 too many in my opinion. You can call what you do a hobby, I'm just saying I think it's stupid. You remind me of the people that dump $5 grand in to their $500 civic.

Do you personally participate in any of these 1000yd competitions?

Dude .50 cals have an awesome ballistic coefficient, you don't need to understand MOA, the mildot
system. **** the humidity, **** rangecards. You can shoot 1000 yards for shits and giggles, now try
doing that with a 5.56, maybe with a Black Hills Sierra Match king 75 gr, but you gotta know what you are
doing, and even then you're gay.

I am not an expert on shooting. I do own 2 guns, 1 too many in my opinion. You can call what you do a hobby, I'm just saying I think it's stupid. You remind me of the people that dump $5 grand in to their $500 civic.

Do you personally participate in any of these 1000yd competitions?

Except that I am not dumping money into something "cheap" to begin with. I hardly see how spending a large amount on a quality firearm like a Barrett even remotely compares to dumping money into something not worth anything in the first place.

I do not participate but I do shoot at the 600yd high power range at one of the gun clubs I am a member at. You don't have to compete to develop a skill and enjoy yourself in the mean time. There is a new gun club (Thunderbird Gun Club) I think that just opened that has a 1000yd range close to me that I fully intend to use. I plan to take part in some competitions when I have the spare time to do so. I have some spare time right now here and there but not on a "schedule" per say because of dental school.

Just for fun, here's some quotes from a 2004 FBI report...

In one case, the subject attacked the officer with a knife. The officer shot the individual four times in the chest; then, his weapon malfunctioned. The offender continued to walk toward the officer. After the officer cleared his weapon, he fired again and struck the subject in the chest. Only then did the offender drop the knife. This individual was hit five times with 230-grain, .45-caliber hollow-point ammunition and never fell to the ground. The offender later stated, ?The wounds felt like bee stings.?

In another case, officers fired six .40-caliber, hollow-point rounds at a subject who pointed a gun at them. Each of the six rounds hit the individual with no visible effect. The seventh round severed his spinal cord, and the offender fell to the ground, dropping his weapon. This entire firefight was captured by several officers? in-car video cameras

In a final case, the subject shot the victim officer in the chest with a handgun and fled. The officer, wearing a bullet-resistant vest, returned gunfire. The officer?s partner observed the incident and also fired at the offender. Subsequent investigation determined that the individual was hit 13 times and, yet, ran several blocks to a gang member?s house. He later said, ?I was so scared by all those shots; it sounded like the Fourth of July.? Again, according to the subject, his wounds ?only started to hurt when I woke up in the hospital.? The officers had used 9-millimeter, department-issued ammunition.

So let's tally that up:
-Six .45 caliber rounds
-Seven .40 caliber rounds +severed spinal cord
-Thirteen 9mm caliber rounds + he still ran several blocks

A bullet is a bullet. Wether it comes from a 50 cal or a 9mm glock it works exactly the same way if all you are doing is using it for personal protection/hobby.

Yea, I guess you're right maybe...I mean if you get hit with a .50cal or a 9mm it's exactly the same...I mean it's not like one is bigger than the other or anything...
(use the .22 for comparison since it's in both pictures)
CartridgeComparison.jpg

Rifle_cartridge_comparison.jpg

edit: also I thought it was kind of funny that you said "9mm glock".

I'de call you a gun nut SIG, but then again, I do like to look at guns to.

I just don't want to own them. :imu:

Just for fun, here's some quotes from a 2004 FBI report...

So let's tally that up:
-Six .45 caliber rounds
-Seven .40 caliber rounds +severed spinal cord
-Thirteen 9mm caliber rounds + he still ran several blocks

I got a .45. Who's up for a little experiment?

But I guess you are right, this .45 is useless. I need to find me an RPG.

Now you have no gun to look forward to. You'll need to buy some sort of artillery to satiate yourself.

I may start collecting guns at some point, but I'd like historical weaponry rather than bragging weapons like these.

Back