One more question about GORDON FREEMAN

Status
Not open for further replies.
And I'm not 100% sure from memory (been a while since I played either game), but even in d3/q4 where you sported the helmet, it didn't effect your view at all.

Maybe they have something to learn from Metroid prime?

It had some nifty helmet effects. Rain would drop onto your visor, water would rush off it when you emerge from a pond, and you can see the outline of the "glass", and the HUD even curved to the visor af it were projected there.

I think the Polish dude has got it right.

Suggesting that the HEV has no helmet when Freeman goes through numerous highly irradiated places, not to mention Xen, which I somehow doubt has a breathable atmoshphere, is pure nonsense.

I think the Polish dude has got it right.

Suggesting that the HEV has no helmet when Freeman goes through numerous highly irradiated places, not to mention Xen, which I somehow doubt has a breathable atmoshphere, is pure nonsense.

Well, both Barney and Shephard visited there as well.

My guess? The helmet is in some funky limbo status in which it exists and doesn't exist. For the purpose of combat, it's assumed to be on. For the purpose of NPC interaction and dialogue, it's assumed to be off. In situations consisting of both, it is a physical paradox.

Why? Because it was a design decision for a game and has no basis in reality. Move along, folks.

Damn. Good point. Well, actually for all we know Shepard's HECU gear includes an air tank. And Barney? Well Barney = teH GMaNS!!QQ!!!.. So, there you go.

Thats because Gearbox are Gearbox and they never fully stay true to the plot of the story. Their expansions were fun but plot wise they were lacking

Anyway I'm guessing Freeman does have an optional helmet. Actually if I remember correctly i saw a piece of artwork depicting him holding his helmet in his hand.

Thats because Gearbox are Gearbox and they never fully stay true to the plot of the story. Their expansions were fun but plot wise they were lacking

Anyway I'm guessing Freeman does have an optional helmet. Actually if I remember correctly i saw a piece of artwork depicting him holding his helmet in his hand.

There was an alive scientist in one of the places where Nihilanth sends you (the one with the itchyosaurus and later, the Garg).

How good their plots are is sorta besides the point. Valve considers the games canon, and so we can assume Xen had a breathable atmosphere.

How good their plots are is sorta besides the point. Valve considers the games canon, and so we can assume Xen had a breathable atmosphere.

O RLY? Sorry couldn't resist:p

I saw plenty of human corpses on Xen with hazard suits on that had helmets, so whether Xen has a breathable atmosphere or not is debatable.

My guess? The helmet is in some funky limbo status in which it exists and doesn't exist. For the purpose of combat, it's assumed to be on. For the purpose of NPC interaction and dialogue, it's assumed to be off. In situations consisting of both, it is a physical paradox.

Why? Because it was a design decision for a game and has no basis in reality. Move along, folks.

That's it, basically. It's the best of both worlds and a balance between realism and fun.

Er, yes. He's up on a ledge.

http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/4263/c4a30004il8.jpg

O RLY? Sorry couldn't resist:p

I saw plenty of human corpses on Xen with hazard suits on that had helmets, so whether Xen has a breathable atmosphere or not is debatable.

Well, it's now been proven there are unhelmeted scientists on Xen. There was also all the dead marines at the end of the game when G-Man was porting you around, and I doubt a mere gas mask is going to protect you from whatever prospective death a foreign atmosphere carries for you.

Xen was breathable, and there's no debate about that. :p

Vorts would not be able to live on Earth if Xen's atmoshphere was not very similar, therefore they are.

I'm me. What can I say? I see floating numbers before me and have built up an immune to radiation. And my glasses are welded to my ears.

EDIT:
Let's just say he's very resourceful.

Damn right I'm resourceful, My pants arent for nothing.

Well, I'm thinking that Gordon HAS got a helmet, because if he can carry all those weapons, he could carry a helmet... If it's a HEV Suit, he would more than likely hav a helmet, to suit the tasks at hand, and maybe the HEV Suit has something to do with the HUD, mybe its all nano machines. Plus, you cant say that Gordon doesnt see the HUD, because when you pick up the HEV Suit in HL1 or HL2 (I'm not sure) you can hear the HEVoice say "Ammunition Display activated", there must be also a connection with the glasses aswell, because they seen indestructible, and you dont see the HUD util you get the suit. So there you have it, my theory is: Nano Machines

That brings us to the next question... How could he carry al those weapons, it's not like the suit was designed to do so?

I don't think Gordon actualy wears his glasses, just try to read the clip-board in Kleiner's office :p

No way, I stand corrected. However, even if Nihlanth's chamber has an atmosphere, it doesn't mean the rest of Xen does, especially the bits which appear open to space....

I don't think Gordon actualy wears his glasses, just try to read the clip-board in Kleiner's office :p

Well, you can read the part Kliener reads out:

"The Mark 5 hazardous enviroment suit has been redisnged for confort and utility..."

But the rest is blurred like you said.:flame:

No way, I stand corrected. However, even if Nihlanth's chamber has an atmosphere, it doesn't mean the rest of Xen does, especially the bits which appear open to space....

Barney goes there and he doesn't have a mask or whatever. :eek:

Barney goes there and he doesn't have a mask or whatever. :eek:

I thought someone would mention that. It's Gearbox's work so it doesn't matter. Just remember, in Opposing Force, Shepard had a portable teleporter that could take him to Xen and back and charged up in a second :rolleyes: . So I think we can comfortably discount anything controversial in the expansion packs...

There's also a factor you forget, that the lifeforms in Xen appear to be compatible with our atmosphere, since none of them suffocates or suffers barotrauma due to differences of pressure.

Atmosphere in Xen and on Earth has at least a similiar composition, since the aforementioned Bullsquids, Houndeyes, Barnacles, Antlions, Gargantuas et consortes survive on our planet, and, as evidenced by Antlions, thrive and breed. This would not be possible, if the atmosphere's weren't at least similiar.

-- Mikael Grizzly

Well, you can read the part Kliener reads out:

"The Mark 5 hazardous enviroment suit has been redisnged for confort and utility..."

But the rest is blurred like you said.:flame:

Well once you know what it's supposed to read it's easier in real life as well.

I thought someone would mention that. It's Gearbox's work so it doesn't matter. Just remember, in Opposing Force, Shepard had a portable teleporter that could take him to Xen and back and charged up in a second :rolleyes: . So I think we can comfortably discount anything controversial in the expansion packs...

Expansions are offcial canon. From the Marc Laidlaw himself. Especcially blue shift!#
Proof: http://s14.photobucket.com/albums/a350/Darkjakk/?action=view&current=adrian.jpg

http://www.halflife2.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1298&page=55&highlight=Barney

And according to Laidlaw, Barney's trip to Xen is in the HL story bible because it sets up the Xen relay. :p

If he's short sighted, then his glasses can make reading stuff up close a bit blurry.

That's what happens to me.

Seeing a lot of people here have played BlueShift, I'm surprised no one has mentioned the part at the end where you are being teleported all over the place and you see Gordon being carried away by the Marines.

He is wearing no helmet...

Asthetic (spelling?) reasons most likely. It makes the palyer know its Gordon as opposed to just another HEV-Scientist.
Also, id say Blue Shift is cannon. It doesnt actually do anything that doesnt make sense AFAIK

Seeing a lot of people here have played BlueShift, I'm surprised no one has mentioned the part at the end where you are being teleported all over the place and you see Gordon being carried away by the Marines.

He is wearing no helmet...
He is wearing no long-jump module in OP4. Barney is wearing no armour in BS at a point where you see him wearing it in HL. Gearbox are silly that way :p

In XEN you find several HEV's with helmets... odds are it probably folds out of the suit...

It makes the palyer know its Gordon as opposed to just another HEV-Scientist.

They also had the same dialogue from the marines as Half Life. It was also one of the most memorable moments from the game to me.

realistically we have not been invaded and dominated by a hostile alien race
Yes, but it's still possible that could occur. Half-Life 2 is an alternate universe, so events don't have to match up with our timeline - they just have to be consistent with the nature of the (fictional) universe.

If things happen differently there has to be a reason.

More helmet discussion.. sigh..
Well, can anyone tell me Gabe's email? or where to get it? I really want to see if he will answer meh question.. and/or just bug him. thanks!

Seriously people, have you forgotten its a goddamn game? The absence of helmet is due to Gordon being the main character. You can't see his face under a helmet. Sure, it doesn't make any sense when he's on Xen or getting shot in the face, but then, oh yeah, I remember, its a videogame.

Exactly. The helmet is in ****ing limbo status for the sake of the game. It's an acceptable contradiction that allows Gordon to get shot in the head and live, as well as interact with characters that will only recognize him by his face.

Just accept it. Don't try looking for a logical explanation.

Absinthe said:
The helmet is in ****ing limbo status

Who put it there? G-Man? The vortigaunts? Maybe Breen, but that would have been before the resonance cascade, surely?

;)

It should be called Schrodinger's Helmet. It exists and at the same time, it doesnt. :)

That is quite a good theory Crowbar... maybe its... INVISIBLE!!!!, but its like still there, and when a cop shoots him in the head, it just glances off, and hes all "WTF?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back