PC Format UK (Oct 04) has HL2 stuff inside ...

Kirkburn

Reaction score
Haven't posted here for a while (did u miss me?), but I thought I'd tell people about this (rather late) new issue of PCF:
It's got a HL2 preview mag with it, possibly with new stuff, haven't been able to read it yet.
Another interesting development - says that review will be in November issue ... here's hoping (that I won't kill myself or a PCF team member 'accidentally' in the ensuing wave of disappointment as yet another mag gets it wrong)

(Note to FBI and MI5/6 web trackers - I'm joking you realise this? Oh, wait, ur just a bot ... 0100110011 ... bzzzt ... 0101001110010 ... l33t h8x0r ... 0101010100011eleven)

Heh, though i despise posts that do what i'm going to do now, it ain't gonna stop me this time :)

I know something about this :p (no joke either) but i really shouldn't say anything about it, what with my knackers being at risk an' all.

Please explain what the hell you just said ...
(btw, if people don't realise this i'm a very sarcastic person, but lovely)

Nah, if you're on the inside, which i kinda suspect you are, then you'll know why i'm not going any further, if however, you're not, or don't wish to admit as such, i still can't say anymore, knackers - on teh block etc.

/me hopes for new info/media.
:)

Get on it!

hmm, i should re-itterate i meant i know something about the contents of the next mag, not the one you can go get with the preview in it.

oh fine, i'll read it now then .... hecklers

"The Making of HL2"

It has:
> A HL2 preview (no new pics, a summary really)
> CS Source 'review'
> Source engine descrip.
> HalfLife 1 history
> Interviews regarding 30/09
> Hl2 mod index (probably not with Source World ...indeed no)
> Plus unsurprising nVidia endorsement (yes, not ATi)

Oh, and some vids are on the DVD ...
Train station BINK is one (didn't watch it, too revealing)
AND before someone complains about my evident stupidity since it is freely available, i have 56k dial-up until i get back to Uni :)
Rest of vids are already seens.

if PC format end up reviewing it in Nov issue, which is out early October right?, then perhaps early October is a good guess for the release.

Last post 2nite:

No More Room In Hell
Insurgency
Cold War Melting Pot
War of the Worlds
Forsaken
Valandil

and name calling of a few (official) others, eg. TF2, CS:S

^Ben said:
What mods were listed?

7 Mods Listed...

No more Room in Hell
A MP co-op mod with Zombies
www.nomoreroominhell.com

Insurgency
Sorta like counterstrike, but with a Commander aka Natural Selection
www.insurgencymod.net

Cold War Melting Pot
MP Mod -seems to be a bit like Operation Flashpoint eg Cold War, Nato & Warsaw Pact etc. Also has campaigns.
www.cw-meltingpoint.com

War Of The Worlds
Based on the Book - not the film (takes place in Uk not USA). A SP mod.
http://scifiheaven.net/wotw-mod

Forsaken
Post apoc setting, mp game with players fighting over resources & territory.
www.forsaken-game.com

Valandil
Medieval MP game with horseback combat, seige towers etc.
www.valandilmod.com

Ive checked the URLs and they are all okay....check it out. HL2 already has some very interesting mods bening made for it.

So the magazine won't be showing anything new . : |
:'(

HELL YEAH! Had no idea we were in a mag -.- I'm so happy! We're like, known now.

Kirkburn said:
Last post 2nite:

No More Room In Hell
Insurgency
Cold War Melting Pot
War of the Worlds
Forsaken
Valandil

and name calling of a few (official) others, eg. TF2, CS:S
Are you sure they said that Team Fortress2 (TF2) will be an official mod :D

that Valandil mod looks interesting.. :D
sword fighting inside a castle.. woo :E

SoSorry said:
Are you sure they said that Team Fortress2 (TF2) will be an official mod :D

Well, they say that TF2 is likely to be released for HL2 shortly after HL2 is on the shelves....nothing confirmed, just speculation.

Personally I think they are probably right, TF2 has been in development 'limbo' for years, and has been in Valves 'to do' pile since HL was released, but I think Valve didnt want to built an engine for it from the ground up, so sort of gave up on it.

Now that HL2 is about to be released (also steam being set up as well) with an engine capable of doing the things they wanted to do in TF2 it would seem plausible that they will have a TF2 source mod out pretty quick after, as alot of the groundwork as already been done.
Who knows?? TF2 might even come packaged with HL2 along with CS. That would be a nice suprise for everyone :)

Strangely enough, the Official TF2 website is still up, but hasnt been updated since 2001! http://teamfortress2.sierra.com/

TF2 and TFC:Source are different games. TF2 is a stand alone product, not a HL2 mod.

I don't imagine that TF2 would be a quick production after HL2 comes out, even if source kinks are worked out.
They still might have a lot to build for it.

killahsin-[CE] said:
Maxx you have said to much!

*picks up phone and calls the G-Man
"Black-Ops needed......."

Rgr! That!

InZaneFlea said:
HELL YEAH! Had no idea we were in a mag -.- I'm so happy! We're like, known now.
Congrats to you and your team there shipmate. Now you have much to live up too. Hope you and dev team are ready.

shade70 said:
7 Mods Listed...

No more Room in Hell
A MP co-op mod with Zombies
www.nomoreroominhell.com

Insurgency
Sorta like counterstrike, but with a Commander aka Natural Selection
www.insurgencymod.net

Cold War Melting Pot
MP Mod -seems to be a bit like Operation Flashpoint eg Cold War, Nato & Warsaw Pact etc. Also has campaigns.
www.cw-meltingpoint.com

War Of The Worlds
Based on the Book - not the film (takes place in Uk not USA). A SP mod.
http://scifiheaven.net/wotw-mod

Forsaken
Post apoc setting, mp game with players fighting over resources & territory.
www.forsaken-game.com

Valandil
Medieval MP game with horseback combat, seige towers etc.
www.valandilmod.com

Ive checked the URLs and they are all okay....check it out. HL2 already has some very interesting mods bening made for it.

And I have yet another intresting mod to put to work ;) (Oh, and trust me, it's just as intresting as those above)

It looks to me like they picked those mods by seeing which ones had half-decent websites. Great criteria.

Pi Mu Rho said:
It looks to me like they picked those mods by seeing which ones had half-decent websites. Great criteria.
There isn't much else to go off of at this point, except maybe for concept art and well-known mods for HL1 that will be re-made for HL2.

Yeah, about the TF2 thing, it was late, I wasn't really concentrating :)
But I'm glad to be of help to the community ...

PCF also say HL2 will be in the 'pipeline' for Sept .... ah ha ha ha. If only mags didn't have such big lead times! There's also a rather uninformed and in places, wrong, comment on Steam (eg. IGUK have allowed VALVe to use Steam, free. Ahem). It's even says u can't play CS1.5 on Steam - where exactly are these people living? Mars?
I love PCF, if only they'd do a bit more research on these things!

Another great quote:

"Steam is notorious for soaking up bandwidth like spilt pop"

eh? Is Steam an excellent kitchen towel now? Are we American? What bandwidth? (I say that since you can turn off updating, or perhaps, y'know, CLOSE STEAM). At least they didn't say it crashes all the time (tho they do hint at it, and says how it's very hard to set up. Erm, right)

The rest of it goes on about how LANs will have to close due to the 'prohibitive' charges and why WON is/was God of all beings, be they reptilian, bird, mammal or nerd.

Hey, I suppose it at least causes discussion :) A quick question - is CS: Source played at UK LAN centres?

NMRIH Has been mentioned in a few publications. That's probably why we're on there.

That's not the impression PCF give of LAN CENTRES CENTRES CENTRES
:p
They seem to suggest that no-one in the UK will be able to play CS:Source there. Erm, bit wrong, guys :)

Pi Mu Rho said:

The PC Format Editors actually approached (some of) the various Mods and asked a rather lengthy list of questions. However I assume the website appearance and overall team professionalism came into it, as well as those Mods which replied to them quickest and with the kind of answers they were looking for.

We were pleased to see, and certainly appreciated being one of the chosen six that were picked. :)

I am the journalist who wrote the HL2 mod index for PCF (not the PCF editor), I emailed roughly 20 mods i found on modDB.com and here of which 8 replied. One mod hilariously was in a 'press blackout'.

One of my criteria was indeed having a half decent website that worked. This was because:
a) People like to look at websites for more information.
b) A mod without a website isn't going to get very far.
c) If a mod cant be bothered slapping some html on the interweb, I'd question their commitment to finishing a mod.
d) There aren't many other criteria to choose HL2 mods on at this point.

Other criteria I used were past modding experience, orginality, fancy concept art (good for pics), pretty renders and people who seemed genuinely committed to their mod.

Sorry if I did miss your mod, but at the end of the day I can't cover them all.

Tf2

Kirkburn said:
Yeah, about the TF2 thing, it was late, I wasn't really concentrating :)
But I'm glad to be of help to the community ...

I wonder. TF2 could be the great surprise that Valve has been talking about... :S
Haven't heard anything new about it.

pieman said:
I am the journalist who wrote the HL2 mod index for PCF (not the PCF editor), I emailed roughly 20 mods i found on modDB.com and here of which 8 replied. One mod hilariously was in a 'press blackout'.

One of my criteria was indeed having a half decent website that worked. This was because:
a) People like to look at websites for more information.
b) A mod without a website isn't going to get very far.
c) If a mod cant be bothered slapping some html on the interweb, I'd question their commitment to finishing a mod.
d) There aren't many other criteria to choose HL2 mods on at this point.

Other criteria I used were past modding experience, orginality, fancy concept art (good for pics), pretty renders and people who seemed genuinely committed to their mod.

Sorry if I did miss your mod, but at the end of the day I can't cover them all.

I'm fine with a, generally ok with b, and totally agree with d. Not c, though.

The most important part of a mod is the mod itself. The website is to advertise the mod, preferably when it has something other than a few unskinned renders to show. Take, for example, hl2.net's very own Sourceworld. No website, no renders, no screenshots - just a section on this forum. It doesn't appear in your mod list, and yet Valve themselves have heard of it and have shown interest.

I'm not criticising - I just think it's really too early to be making any kind of judgement on mods.

Back