PC Gameplay score 90% vs FarCry 93%?!?

Maybe a lot of people didnt think of this - but since CSS is a redone modification of HL1, and not actually part of the HL1 universe - as well as being released separately next week, maybe it played no part in the review at all, and hence you got a HL game without any HL multiplayer whatsoever, since CSS is completely different

and hence farcry got a bit higher simply for HAVING multiplayer

Well I am not too sure for the Half Life 2 review if it is actually 90%. Its the review itself that praises it or doesn't. I really have to wait until the 5th to pick up a copy. In fact I am going right now to my litle village to check if they already have one, which I doubt but it should give me a goal in life...

LAYP said:
Well I am not too sure for the Half Life 2 review if it is actually 90%. Its the review itself that praises it or doesn't. I really have to wait until the 5th to pick up a copy. In fact I am going right now to my litle village to check if they already have one, which I doubt but it should give me a goal in life...

OK... let us know if you find a copy!

fantasiser said:
and hence farcry got a bit higher simply for HAVING multiplayer
That would be stupid, any reviewer who just gives a higher score for having MP (assuming it was bad) is a moron. If FC had a good MP then I can see them giving it credit for it, but from what Ive heard it was pretty horrible so therefore if they have a crappy MP it should have points tooken off not given! HL2 should be evaluated as a SP game only.

Ok so 1 magazine gave Far Cry a higher score then HL2....so?

pff, this is a first post in a year or so for me.. i've got the pc gameplay for over 5 years now, it's the best games magazine in the benelux! Always great reviews with not to high scores, they always wage the gameplay above the GFX and sound. That's why D3 didn't get 90+ ( and I think it deserved lower!)

I'm expecting the newest mag today, mayb i'll scan it for you boys but if HL2 really scored a (GREAT) 90% than it's really because of the lack of MP.
Valve always said they we're having some suprises for the HL2 MP but CS:S isn't a suprise and guess what, they didn't deliver them!

If you can't understand one man's opinion about a game you didn't even played yet than I think you're pretty lame...

Also this is 1 reviewers opinion. Besides it might not have been the same guy who reviewed Far Cry. Why does it matter so much?

And if it got marked down 10 points because of having no multiplayer thats kinda tough. CS: S is WAY better then Far Cry's multiplayer.

I wonder if Knights of the Old Republic was marked down for no mp?

I for one, absolutely ****ing dispise CS, I got bored of this years ago, and it hasn't really done anything much more reveolutionary since 1.3.

I still to this day play HL:DM, i've played this since Half-life was first out, and loved it.
Had really highhopes for Hl:dm2, infact one of the leading reasons I was going to buy it!
Hell i'm still gonna buy it, but for a moment there I just felt like leeching the damn thing and deleting it, cos at this state it's not gonna be much fun after the single player has been completed twice.

Serial45 said:
I for one, absolutely ****ing dispise CS, I got bored of this years ago, and it hasn't really done anything much more reveolutionary since 1.3.

I still to this day play HL:DM, i've played this since Half-life was first out, and loved it.
Had really highhopes for Hl:dm2, infact one of the leading reasons I was going to buy it!
Hell i'm still gonna buy it, but for a moment there I just felt like leeching the damn thing and deleting it, cos at this state it's not gonna be much fun after the single player has been completed twice.

same for me, the CS community isn't the whole MP community!! I want HL2 : DM :(

Serial45 said:

The statistics from Steam disagree with you. From Valve's point of view, everyone's bored of deathmatch and CS is still as popular as ever.

UPDATE: Now the evaluation from the Dutch PC Gameplay is also known. Here Half-Life 2 received "only 90% (to the comparison: Doom3 received 86%, FarCry got whole 93%). As a negative point the missing multiple egg merchant is stated.

Missing multiple egg... hmmmmm
Guess the damn chicken in counterstrike aren't living up to there full potential!!!! SOMEONE TELL THEM TO PUT SOME EFFORT IN IT OR WE WILL SHIP THEM OFF TO KFC!!!! :)

Feath said:
The statistics from Steam disagree with you. From Valve's point of view, everyone's bored of deathmatch and CS is still as popular as ever.

jup all those 13 year old cheatin' bastards still love playing good ol' cs ;)

although i must say, CS:S is much more fun than the original :)

I went to my usual supplier of the mag, they said they MIGHT get it in today with their shipment of magazines, but they don't know what time it will be at.

Ok...just because a game is Half-Life 2 does not mean it's almighty than others. Who here has actually PLAYED Half Life 2? Not many of you. What's with all this FC bashing, when no one here has even played HL2 to even COMPARE it to FC! Oh, and you're saying, "Well who cares if HL2 doesn't have multiplayer!" Hmm, lemme think...Half life 1...oh yeah, most ****in' popular multiplayer game of all damn time. If HL2 doesn't have multiplayer, than yeah they're gonna mark it down. You people aren't thinking straight...

DarkSonic said:
Oh, and you're saying, "Well who cares if HL2 doesn't have multiplayer!" Hmm, lemme think...Half life 1...oh yeah, most ****in' popular multiplayer game of all damn time. If HL2 doesn't have multiplayer, than yeah they're gonna mark it down. You people aren't thinking straight...
Uhhh wrong

Counter-Strike was/is the most popular multiplayer game of all-time.

Feath said:
True, but steam only monitors online, and not on LAN, where I usually prefer HLDM above CS.
Its a damn shame really, few people still play HLDM because few people still play HLDM, its not really possible to find a suitable server anymore.
They are clogged with the remaining diehards, empty or lagging.

It's stupid to deduct a communities opinion on a gametype, based on how much its 5-year-old predecessor is still played.

Clavius said:
True, but steam only monitors online, and not on LAN, where I usually prefer HLDM above CS.
Its a damn shame really, few people still play HLDM because few people still play HLDM, its not really possible to find a suitable server anymore.
They are clogged with the remaining diehards, empty or lagging.

It's stupid to deduct a communities opinion on a gametype, based on how much its 5-year-old predecessor is still played.

Every now and again I play Ricochet. Doesn't mean that Valve need to release Ricochet: Source.

Valve can't do everything at once. CS:S (and DoD:S) are pleasing the majority of the user base.

if DoD:S has vehicles in it, it will kick the shit out of everything

well, i for one, never enjoyed HLDM as much as CS...but that is i never really liked playing multiplayer...i like sngleplayer much more...and if there werent multiplayers in ANY game at al...i wouldnt give a crap...

Feath said:
Every now and again I play Ricochet. Doesn't mean that Valve need to release Ricochet: Source.

Valve can't do everything at once. CS:S (and DoD:S) are pleasing the majority of the user base.
I dont want HLDM:source because it'd be a lame port, that's the whole issue.
I want a HL2DM, with the new weapons and new detailed maps.
If they simply port HLDM, yeah, sure, it wont be played any more than it is now.
Thats not a guarantee HL2DM wont be a big hit.

The following things have been stated several times by LAYP but as a PC Gameplay subscriber, I feel like reminding everybody again:
1. Far Cry got 91% in PC Gameplay and not 93%
2. PC Gameplay only has 1 version, and that version is sold both in Belgium and the Netherlands
3. The 90% score of PCGP is most probably fake and finds its origin on this board. We'll have the correct score Tuesday and I'm sure somebody will post the score, pros and cons as quickly as possible on this board.

affen said:
The following things have been stated several times by LAYP but as a PC Gameplay subscriber, I feel like reminding everybody again:
2. PC Gameplay only has 1 version, and that version is sold both in Belgium and the Netherlands
3. The 90% score of PCGP is most probably fake and finds its origin on this board. We'll have the correct score Tuesday and I'm sure somebody will post the score, pros and cons as quickly as possible on this board.
Amen...

It would be sadistically funny if the PC Gameplay score turned out to be in the lines of 85% or 87%. Actually that wouldn't be funny at all
I bet no one would be bitching about 90% anymore. This forum would feel like a funeral

affen said:

halajluja!

affen said:

Granted the score might be fake, but I'm just curious about what you and LAYP keep referring to? Can you link the thread that this all "originated" in?

I got the info from www.half-life2.de which I was linked to from Gamer's Hell.

If it did originate from Halflife2.net that'd be funnier than sh*t.

Seppo said:

Holy sh*t... OK, now I see what you guys are talking about.

If it's a fake score then... wow, some sites have really low standards for verifying their news if they really based that update off of this post.

flupke said:
In this thread, a guy got the chance to look at the score of the gameplay NL magazine. This magazine is supposed to be available the 5th octobre, but he works at a press store (how do you call it, where they print LOADS of magazines, papers, etc) & it's there already. be prepaired, here it comes :

90%

Pos : physics engine & gameplay
neg : NO HLDM
____

This is pretty short, because didn't got the chance to look at it very good. He wás at work so... This can be called a rumour or 'fake' but this a man of his words (i know him personally) & he wouldn't do that.

There you've got it :)

RhapSidious said:
If it did originate from Halflife2.net that'd be funnier than sh*t.

It is :)

EDIT:
Sparta said:
It says Far Cry got 93% in PC Gameplay

I have the magazine with the Far Cry review in my possession and it clearly says 91%.

Sparta said:

the photos don't lie

http://img79.exs.cx/img79/4082/PA010160.jpg

http://img79.exs.cx/img79/9151/PA010161.jpg

please read a few posts above you, we have mentioned countless times that far cry only got 91%

and the rumor started here I posted this earlier in the thread

http://shrimpcity.spelletjesgarnaal...0&pagenumber=14 this is a dutch site in here

said he got to see the pcgameplay review people asked him how he said "but it arived today in the storage" 29-09-2004

then here someone else commented http://www.halflife2.net/forums/showthread.php?t=39995
so I was wrong it came from other obscure forum and everybody is taking the word as truth.

I've got the PC-Gameplay NL in front of me.

It got 90%

Pro's:
-Brilliant use of physics
-Large variation on environments
-Gorgeous ingame animations
-A lot of original gameplay finds (rough translation)
Con's:
-No multiplayer DM
-AI squad gets into your way.

Pcgameplay says: Vale succeeded to add originality & cunning to the allready crowded FPS genre. First class!

Gameplay: 55/60
Graphics: 18/20
Sound: 17/20

I'll post a screen when i get home tonight... @ work for now.

Thats pretty cool. Pretty unusual rating system in comparison to other magazines though. Still, good score

Torre said:
I've got the PC-Gameplay NL in front of me.

It got 90%

Pro's:
-Brilliant use of physics
-Large variation on environments
-Gorgeous ingame animations
-A lot of original gameplay finds (rough translation)
Con's:
-No multiplayer DM
-AI squad gets into your way.

Pcgameplay says: Vale succeeded to add originality & cunning to the allready crowded FPS genre. First class!

Gameplay: 55/60
Graphics: 18/20
Sound: 17/20

I'll post a screen when i get home tonight... @ work for now.

You already have the mag? Cool. Seems this is not fake! (nothing in my mail box yet ;()

RhapSidious said:
Sorry if this has been posted, but I checked and didn't see anything so don't flame...

This info is from an German fansite article describing the PC Gamer review... on a side note it had this attached... I used an online translator from German to English, so this isn't perfect...

UPDATE: Now the evaluation from the Dutch PC Gameplay is also known. Here Half-Life 2 received "only 90% (to the comparison: Doom3 received 86%, FarCry got whole 93%). As a negative point the missing multiple egg merchant is stated.

I hope this isn't true... if it is then PC Gameplay is smoking crack or something. HL2 has GOT to be better than FarCry. Maybe they are just harsh because of the lack of MP (other than CS:S). :upstare:

EDIT: LOL... egg merchant.

Farcry is non linear and has a all free open ended appoach to play plus farcry was the 1st nextgen shooter and farcry had a all new multiplay.

Half-Life 2 according to the review (I just got it) does not have this, its linear, has a recyceled multiplayer not everybody likes and was not the 1st nextgen shooter. (they say its the better nextgen though compared to Doom3 and Farcry).

The PCGP magazine alsay dedicated one of the 2 monthly collums to the fact HL2 had no new multiplayer options what makes it feel less complete.
Since the ancouncement of HL2 they fatasized about HL2 dm with the gravgun shooting level objects to eatchother.

However the review praises HL2 alot and it would have had the higest score ever if it had en new/updated multiplayer game rather then recyceling a 5 year old game.

While cs:s is nice, its nothing new so you can't expect it to recieve highscores for that, if you do you just seem to have low expectancy's...

pcgp score:
Positive:
- Brilliant use of physics
- Great level variation
- Great ingame Animations
- Lots of orriginal gameplay discovery's

Negative
- No DM
- AI squadmates sometimes stand in youre way.

Score 90%

PCGP says:
Valve cleverly succeeds to bring orriginality to an already overcrowded gametype (first person shooters)

And I can't say I disagree with their score.
If Valve didn't want to push the limit then so should not be the score.
You always should expext more from enstablished developers not less imho ...

Btw Farcry scored 91 not 93. No game has scored 93 the last 3 years in that magazine just as a reference.

Also it seems to be a top month, 3 titles with 90+ and 6 with 80+
what has never happened before.

*edit* I see Torre already beat me with the scores and comments :) If I knew the magazine was here i would not have slept till noon :p

The mag is lying in the closest bookstore here... like 40 times :) (boekhandel rooigem)

Still.. have to get to work in 10 and haven't even got to read it. Just wanted to inform you guys here.

Back