PC Gameplay score 90% vs FarCry 93%?!?

RhapSidious

Reaction score
Sorry if this has been posted, but I checked and didn't see anything so don't flame...

This info is from an German fansite article describing the PC Gamer review... on a side note it had this attached... I used an online translator from German to English, so this isn't perfect...

UPDATE: Now the evaluation from the Dutch PC Gameplay is also known. Here Half-Life 2 received "only 90% (to the comparison: Doom3 received 86%, FarCry got whole 93%). As a negative point the missing multiple egg merchant is stated.

I hope this isn't true... if it is then PC Gameplay is smoking crack or something. HL2 has GOT to be better than FarCry. Maybe they are just harsh because of the lack of MP (other than CS:S). :upstare:

EDIT: LOL... egg merchant.

Thanks for the information.

As a negative point the missing multiple egg merchant is stated.

That, however, has to be most surreal sentence of the day so far. Online translations... :LOL:

RhapSidious said:
Sorry if this has been posted, but I check and didn't see anything so don't flame...

This info is from an German fansite article describing the PC Gamer review... on a side note it had this attached... I used an online translator from German to English, so this isn't perfect...

UPDATE: Now the evaluation from the Dutch PC Gameplay is also known. Here Half-Life 2 received "only 90% (to the comparison: Doom3 received 86%, FarCry got whole 93%). As a negative point the missing multiple egg merchant is stated.

I hope this isn't true... if it is then PC Gameplay is smoking crack or something. HL2 has GOT to be better than FarCry. Maybe they are just harsh because of the lack of MP (other than CS:S). :upstare:

EDIT: LOL... egg merchant.

The problem with Far Cry is that a lot of it's strength is based on subjective interpretation. For example, atmospherically, I didn't really enjoy the tropical setting. Whereas PC Gameplay might have in comparison to Half-Life 2's slightly more gritty appeal.

So is it a time when everybody goes bat-shit insane about 90% score, because it's "too low"? Or did that already happened and I missed all the fun?

You missed the fun. And I'd hardly call it that.

90% is a good score, and a review is only an opinion. Entirely subjective.

People won't accept that though. Another man's apple may be another man's orange etc.

Concept said:
You missed the fun. And I'd hardly call it that.

90% is a good score, and a review is only an opinion. Entirely subjective.

People won't accept that though. Another man's apple may be another man's orange etc.

I bet dozen of people already declared HL2 a flop or something.

Mr.Reak said:
So is it a time when everybody goes bat-shit insane about 90% score, because it's "too low"? Or did that already happened and I missed all the fun?

Although I feel that 90% is way TOO low a score for HL2, a simple score is too little data to judge from unless you know all of the reviewer's criteria and methods...

However because I can compair that score against those of FC and D3, it seems way out of line for the quality of story, graphics, physics and gameplay that is HL2.

I enjoyed FC, but it was rather shallow. The character animation sucked, as did the voice acting and story. The graphics were killer and gameplay (sp) was cool, but no where near the level of coolness if've seen in the Binks alone.

I think Far Cry got a high score cos when it was released it had the best looking graphics at the time...

Granted, HL2's graphics rock but nt THAT much since there's already Far Cry, Doom 3, Painkiller, etc to compare with...It gets a high score because of graphics AND revolutionary gameplay (i hope)

I bet HL2 would get 96-98% if it had been available earlier *cough*last year*cough* :E

But then again, Valve have improved the graphics since the original release date...

So let's just ignore comparisons and be happy with the fact that HL2 is mother-loving awesome! :thumbs:

FC had rich, rich environments (best aspect by far), and decent enemy AI. The chicks AI, however, was just pathetic and horrible. She'd get stuck, get in the way, not shoot, all kinds of stupid behavior. The mission with her was the most annoying part of the whole game (except, perhaps, that room at the end with all the big guys). And the story stank.

I have no doubt Alyx will behave in a far more intelligent manner. The story is epic,. the environment probably wont be as rich, but it does appear that it will be far more diverse.

I also, dont get how FarCry could possibly ever score higher then HL2. I bet they're just bitter about the delays. But hey,. everybodys got opinions.

Stupid egg merchants stating negative points.

f|uke said:
I also, dont get how FarCry could possibly ever score higher then HL2. I bet they're just bitter about the delays. But hey,. everybodys got opinions.

Stupid egg merchants stating negative points.

Yeah what do those stupid egg merchants know anyways! :hmph:

I think part of it also that Far Cry is one of the decent FPS that came out from Germany.. Maybe little bit biased on magazine part, because I found Far Cry to be an absolute bore (yes story is THAT important to me).

probably because crytek is a german company. you know how those euros are when it concerns america. :dork:

Here is a better translation... (without the whole "egg merchant" thing.)

UPDATE: Now also the evaluation from the Dutch PC Gameplay is known. Here Half Life 2 received "only" 90% (to the comparison: Doom3 received 86%, FarCry got whole 93%). As point of negative the missing Multiplayer is stated.

EDIT: Cleaned up some obvious errors. Sorta a combo of both translations.

Ahh,. that makes more sense,. I guess they didn't dig CS:S.

And yet, FarCry online play was horrid.
(Lan FarCry is fun tho)

I'll make a mod with a merchant that sells multiple eggs so they'll raise it to 98%(I wonder if they really meant the original manipulator? they'd be kinda stupid in that case, the new one is obviously more balanced). But hell, I won't listen to people who gave Far Cry 93%; we obviously are very different when it comes to taste.

Edit: Ahh, ok. Still. They gave HL2 lower than Far Cry, that just sucks in multiplayer?

I've been a subscriber for PCGP for some years now, so I think I know how the reviewers give scores.
Scores are as followed:
60 - gameplay
20 - graphics
20 - sound

Although I havent got this issue yet, graphics and sound will probably be quite high, but then the gameplay...

HL² will probably recieve quite some points on AI, characters, greatly built maps (with lots of extra spaces and such I assume). But indeed, this is 'only' the SP part. Knowing that gameplay also stands for how long one thinks the game will last, you gotto admit MP is a bit lacking.
I must be honest, I haven't played it yet, so I can't possible say that without assuming what I just said. But hey, not everyone likes CS. Their bad/good luck! So its normal there are a few points extracted from the gameplay part.

One KNOWS that CS:S will indeed last, and soon DOD:S and TFS:S will follow, but for now, what the reviewer must do, is review what he has/hasn't got.

They've done that with other games too, eg. giving it a score it doesn't really deserve, but because the game is full of bugs. At the end they say there was a patch released which takes care of the most problems. Nice to know, but the game should be what it will be with that patch. Same with HL².

Personally I'm completely happy with the MP part of HL², but I'm just saying this to defend PCGP's opinion.

no offense peps and ill probably be flamed for this but i take this review and throw it in the trash can.

Tork said:
no offense peps and ill probably be flamed for this but i take this review and throw it in the trash can.
Yes, I'd say thats probably a very unpopular opinion. Most of us would insist that you burn it first.

Ansur said:
but for now, what the reviewer must do, is review what he has/hasn't got.

I think you didn't check this message, it goes against everything else you said. They should review what they haven't gotten as well? No.

Right now, best game...for me..Max Payne2. the matrix thing seals it.

However, I have yet to play half-life2. I bet there are lots of people who are going to say MaxPayne2 sucked.

first of all, people are asuming that this 90% score is automatically correct and there is no doubt about it. Do you know where this came from? It came from here! yes from www.halflife2.net some guy claimed he worked in the printer press or at so distrubution company and got to sneak a peak. Seems unlikely all of it doesn't it?

Second far cry only got 91% not 93% I believe dungon keeper managed a 93% but that was before their major overhall, its a magazine started by a store owner and he just hired some gamers, it wasn't very pro to start with, now I think it the best one out there.

Until october 5th you can't be sure of the review.

cadaveca said:
Right now, best game...for me..Max Payne2. the matrix thing seals it.

However, I have yet to play half-life2. I bet there are lots of people who are going to say MaxPayne2 sucked.

Nah Max Payne 2 was fantastic. Much better than far cry, better story, more fun to pay and did not crap on you if you did not have a $2500 PC

Damn, I was really hoping for a decent egg merchant. I can't believe Valve left it out.

Anyway, I've had a thought about it and realised that I don't care that a magazine score from a magazine I don't read. The point of scores is to judge games relativity. If I don't know what this magazine counts as a good score (by reading other reviews). That's why I was excited about the PC Gamer score. I know how they judge games and I know that they rarely give out the 96% score.

I'll be disappointed if the only reason they marked it down was because of the lack of multiplayer. You should judge a game on what it has, not what it hasn't; what it is, not what it isn't.

EDIT: Max Payne 2 was class.

RhapSidious said:

It's from a German fansite article, it says. And those guys just copy-pasted what someone said at these forums? I think not.

Sharrd said:
It's from a German fansite article, it says. And those guys just copy-pasted what someone said at these forums? I think not.

It won't be the first time. In fact, some magazines get their information from these forums (the Valve info thread).

LAYP said:
first of all, people are asuming that this 90% score is automatically correct and there is no doubt about it. Do you know where this came from? It came from here! yes from www.halflife2.net some guy claimed he worked in the printer press or at so distrubution company and got to sneak a peak. Seems unlikely all of it doesn't it?

Second far cry only got 91% not 93% I believe dungon keeper managed a 93% but that was before their major overhall, its a magazine started by a store owner and he just hired some gamers, it wasn't very pro to start with, now I think it the best one out there.

Until october 5th you can't be sure of the review.

Uh, no... it came from here...

http://www.half-life2.de/news.php

Although the score isn't confirmed, this is a major European HL fansite, and the information is probably true.

BTW where did you see this on Halflife2.net?

by the way, pcgameplay reviews as followed

Kinghts of the Old Republic : 91%
Sc2: Pandora Tommorow: 89%
The Sims 2: 90%
Soldiers: Heroes of WW II: 91%
DTM Race Driver 2: 87%
Panzers: 90%
FarCry: 91%
Ground Control 2: 87%
Doom III: 86%

http://shrimpcity.spelletjesgarnaal.be/showthread.php?s=&threadid=59678&perpage=30&pagenumber=14 this is a dutch site in here

said he got to see the pcgameplay review people asked him how he said "but it arived today in the storage" 29-09-2004

then here someone else commented http://www.halflife2.net/forums/showthread.php?t=39995
so I was wrong it came from other obscure forum and everybody is taking the word as truth.

If was really given 90% percent just because it has no multiplayer, the reviewer is retarded.
Do we score Metal Gear Solid 5% less because it has no multiplayer?
No, because it's a single player game.

If a game has no multiplayer, then it is a single player game and should be evaluated as such.

Oh well. I expect this score to be an oddity, really. No credible reviewer would make the same foolish mistake.

Feath said:
It won't be the first time. In fact, some magazines get their information from these forums (the Valve info thread).

Ok. The VALVe info thread is very reliable, though. And people will usually notice if there's something wrong about what someone submits there.

Edit: LAYP: Where'd you get that info...? The thread title says Far Cry scored 93%, you should've said something about it.

I got the info from my last pcgameplay with the F.E.A.R cover they have an overview of the guys you have to get with the percantage score next to it. I mentioned before far cry only got 91% but I guess it didn't go noticed too much so I say again

Far Cry got 91% not 93%

The 93% was taken from the Dutch version of PC Gameplay

Though that probably should have been stated in the topic.

f|uke said:
The 93% was taken from the Dutch version of PC Gameplay

Though that probably should have been stated in the topic.

In my original post it states it's from the Dutch PC Gameplay.

RhapSidious said:

LAYP said:
I am reading the dutch pcgameplay.
Oh. Well,. ok then!

Btw, the second link in your tag is censored (and for the life of me, I cant figure out an eight letter swear word)

**edit,. oh, its f'in trout war. bah.

LAYP said:

As I said I was quoting www.half-life2.de.

I'm just amazed that someone would think FarCry is a BETTER game (ie HIGHER score) than HL2.

Have you seen the screenshots? Look at the detail on Eli's face in that picture with Alyx. FarCry had sh*t models compaired to HL2... not to mention story... gameplay... AI...

Don't get me wrong. FC was a good game, with GREAT graphics... but it's no Half Life 2.

Back