PC Zone 97%

the highest score ive seen is again for zelda ocarina of time. im pretty sure gamesmaster magazine gave it 98%... bleeding brilliant game, and well deserved.

and regarding the pc zone score..... w0000t!!!

I would imagine that the reviewers were instructed by valve not to reveal any parts of the story since they want to keep it all a surprise for everyone. as for the tech oriented reviews i think these will mostly come from online review sites, which afaik aren't allowed to publish reviews before the game is released (I heard that somewhere, can't remember where exactly)

Yeah OoT was the score breaker. One of the best games ive ever played.

Half-Life 2 has had the highest rated game in 3 respectable magazines (PC Zone(UK), PC Gamer (UK) and PC Format (UK)).

Therefore, this means PC Gameplay don't know how to review games.

finally a good review i was starting to think hl2 was gonna suck. Good thing that 1% made my day, or wouldnt have bought hl2 :sniper: :monkee:

Xac493 said:
HL1 got an 11/10 in some magazine i forget which.. so i think 110% takes it

HL2: 12/10 :D
:imu:

:cheers:

Harryz said:
Half-Life 2 has had the highest rated game in 3 respectable magazines (PC Zone(UK), PC Gamer (UK) and PC Format (UK)).

Yes, I suspect they will start to feel a bit stupid when lots of other magazines come out with ratings in the 95-98 range.

Harryz said:

Im trying to forget i even heard about that review
PCGameplay..? Who? :rolleyes:

Harryz said:

Oh come on. Those 3 magasines are notorious for overrating games. Titles they give 90%+ often get between 7 or 8 in Edge (which is a respectable magasine)

In no way should a review from either of those magasines be taken too seriously - and definately not as a benchmark to compare other reviews against.

Warbie said:
Oh come on. Those 3 magasines are notorious for overrating games. Titles they give 90%+ often get between 7 or 8 in Edge (which is a respectable magasine)

In no way should a review from either of those magasines be taken too seriously - and definately not as a benchmark to compare other reviews against.

96%+ in three mags and one says 90%
which is the odd one out? :smoking:

CombineHarvester said:
I second that! "She" mentions it again and I'm flying to Tokyo or wherever "she" dwells, and beating "her" over the head with a sushi handroll!

I'll join you in ur quest.

Gamespot's first 10 ever was for Zelda: oot. I wonder what they will give hl2. I want the next zelda as bad as I want hl2.

I wouldn't say "notorius"; only example that pops into my head is Black and White. And the GTA series. However, considering that PCG UK reviewed Doom III (a pretty damn hyped game with enormous expectations surrounding it) and gave it a fair score, I'd hope that they kept their brains in gear for HL2.

It is all opinion, people; and my opinion is that PC Gameplay shouldn't have made such a fuss about the MP. At least it had some sort of MP component, albeit one that had nought to do with the actual game's universe...

24Gamer said:
96%+ in three mags and one says 90%
which is the odd one out? :smoking:

The magasine known for critical, but fair, reviews, as opposed to the 3 that often mark games way too high :)

Let's just say that uk pc magasine reviews usually contradict with the industries more respected publications.

But yes - this is all subjective, let's wait till we've actually played it :)

//i think 'notorious' is putting it lightly edcrab ;)

Let's just say that uk pc magasine reviews usually contradict with the industries more respected publications.

Well, I'd say that PCG UK is a respected publication; can we have some more direct examples? I'm well aware that some of our less... *ahem* mainstream magazines spread bullshit around, but usually our more popular ones are sensible in their scores.

vicefredav444 said:
I'll join you in ur quest.

Gamespot's first 10 ever was for Zelda: oot. I wonder what they will give hl2. I want the next zelda as bad as I want hl2.

Gamespot will probably burn HL2 to the ground for not having "dual wielding" or something.

Gamespot's first 10 ever was for Zelda: oot

The honor of getting a perfect score was sorta gone when they gave THPS3 a 10... :rolleyes:

Forgive my gaming ignorance but what the heck was THPS3?

I think I might start ignoring reviews from here on out and just make my own decisions based entirely on my unbridled fanboy instincts...

Edcrab said:

I think I might start ignoring reviews from here on out and just make my own decisions based entirely on my unbridled fanboy instincts...

I think Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3. :)

Edcrab said:

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3

Is this zelda everyone talks about as being an awesome game actually a N64 game??? How could anything on that platform be any good at all?

ughghg i cant believe no one has gotten their pcgamer US version yet ... i talked to the guy stocking magazines at barnes and noble today and he said he think theyre getting it this week ...

Mario 64 might have merited 10/10 but not Zelda (too boring)

tiny68 said:
Is this zelda everyone talks about as being an awesome game actually a N64 game??? How could anything on that platform be any good at all?

Take that back :)

In my 'top ten games of all time' list, atleast 4 would be N64 titles.

(Mario 64, Zelda OoT, Golden Eye and Perfect Dark - all on par with Half Life imo)

Frankly I would pay attention to magazine scores for most games, but not HL2. They could give it 69% and it could suck as far as I care.... I'm still gonna play the beast!

so i take it no one has any info about it or anything??? comon UK people ... someone overview the review!!! pleeaseeee summarize it for us :thumbs:

For me the content discussed in the articles thus far are too subjective. Really no substance to them, just a few guys who took creative writing in college. How much of the game could they really of seen?. For me the first couple of levels of Far Cry were awesome, I would of given a 10/10 based on those levels if thats all I had to review. As I played more and more I really didn't care for the mix of monsters for baddies in the game. My review would of went down from there, however if given the opportunity to review based on the engine and things of that nature I would of still given it a very good review. It doesn't seem as if as if they are mixing inovation/gameplay for these reviews, it's more like a guy who has seen the HL universe for the first time and thats what they focus on, I'd like to see a more balance review...To worry about a few percentage points in a half ass review of a privileged journalist really isn't worth putting the game on the fence to fall either way.

Warbie said:

(Mario 64, Zelda OoT, Golden Eye and Perfect Dark - all on par with Half Life imo)

I gotta admit,the N64 years were the best years in gaming ;(
How i loved Goldeneye, Banjo-Tooie, Super Smash Bro's and what not.

Also i did think the PC Gameplay review was kinda funky, they said HL2 was the best FPS game to come out, being better then Far Cry and Doom 3 but they gave it a lower score then Far Cry because there was no deathmatch

Half-Life 1 - 95%
Half-Life 2 - 97 %
Half-Life 3 - 99% ?
Half-Life 4 - 101% ?

ergo there cant be Half-Life 4 :/

10/10 for tony hawk is fairly disappointing for Gamespot, but of late they have seemed to be fairly consistent with my scoring.

flo_Orian said:
Half-Life 1 - 95%
Half-Life 2 - 97 %
Half-Life 3 - 99% ?
Half-Life 4 - 101% ?

ergo there cant be Half-Life 4 :/

Who are you suppossed to be? The Architect from the Matrix?

I like you're reasoning though... :thumbs:

Sparta said:
I gotta admit,the N64 years were the best years in gaming ;(
How i loved Goldeneye, Banjo-Tooie, Super Smash Bro's and what not.

Also i did think the PC Gameplay review was kinda funky, they said HL2 was the best FPS game to come out, being better then Far Cry and Doom 3 but they gave it a lower score then Far Cry because there was no deathmatch

i want to see reviews that review the story and gameplay, not the multiplayer! i know what the multiplayer is gonna be! other games i would like to see multiplayer reviews, but im more excited about the hl2 singleplayer more.

ill most likely be playing ns for a few more years until ns2 comes out anyway ;)

City17Citizen01 said:
For me the content discussed in the articles thus far are too subjective. Really no substance to them, just a few guys who took creative writing in college. How much of the game could they really of seen?.

That's just it. The content discussed is all the same in the articles so far. And what is discussed is very general at times.

Maybe Valve let them only review a few levels? I mean c'mon -- you play through the full game and don't get into the Citadel? Maybe those 40 pics online are what Valve gave every mag to release?

This could prove not to be true because of the pics with
the blue gravity gun and Breen in person with the holo-heads of Alyx and Barney.

gunstarhero said:
Nintendo Power gave Zelda Ocirana of Time (sp) a 100%.. ,but for some reason i think that they were alittle biased... I thought the game was amazing but 100 to me means perfect and nothing is perfect.

I think it was Total magazine that also gave a game 100% (Mario 64) and Edge (notoriously harsh) gave zelda ocarina of time, mario 64, Gran Turismo and Halo 10/10.

Personaly I will be eager to see what Edge does give it, although I think it will be a 9.

Warbie said:

Yeah the N64 may not of had the huge library of crap the PS had but it had the most brilliant games (IMHO only second to the SNES)

MadGuy said:
What the highest score ever given to a game ?
in any magazine ?

101% for Perfect Dark in the local Nintendo 64 magazine N64 Gamer.

waylander5 said:
101% for Perfect Dark in the local Nintendo 64 magazine N64 Gamer.

that's ridiculous. :rolling:

Logically, NO game can get 100%. Nothing is perfect... not even HL2 *runs*

Cynical said:
yes pleeeeeeese! i still haven't recieved my subscription copy. damn u postman, damn u to heeeeeeeeeeeelll :sniper: :x
hey dont you go blaming the Posties......thats not nice

Back