Poll on meat-eating

What's your stance

• Total voters

ríomhaire

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm continuing my intrest if finding out how people think to see what they're stance on meat-eating is.

Animals are cute but also too tasty to not eat.

It's the way of the world, and I have no problems with it at all.

Eating animals is ok, but I really hate those jerks that order veal. >_<

There's nothing immoral about eating meat. We have canines. We are omnivores. Nature intends us to feast on the flesh of other animals. yum.

By the way I refuse to eat cats. I'll keep it to pigs and cows and chickens.

I'll eat some animals...but not cats, dogs, horses, or any other exotic animal. In a life or death situation....I probally would tho.

To eat them is OK, but it's very important that no harm comes to them before the slaughter. I'm totally against the fur industry though.

Eating animals is fine except for Cats, Dogs, and Monkeys that get eaten in certain Asian places.

can I ask why is that any different? pigs are more intelligent than dogs

Luckly in the future we will be able to grow meat, and then I can eat as much as I can without feeling guilty.

CptStern said:
can I ask why is that any different? pigs are more intelligent than dogs
Pigs taste better tho...

...wait. I wouldn't know...

Yeah nothing wrong with eating meat.

I dont like the fur industry either, but you reall can't do much with chiken feathers or skin. At least as far as i know...

faux fur ...most peeps cant tell the difference (the quality ones)

qckbeam said:
It's the way of the world, and I have no problems with it at all.

Concurred.

I initially wanted to vote for the third option, but decided against it. How cute an animal is does not constitute a reason not to eat it, really. And as much as I love my dog, it is still a valid source of nourishment in other areas of the world. The attitudes towards such domesticated pets differs in many societies and cultures, and is based on utmost subjectivity.

So I voted for the second one.

May I ask why this is in the politics forum?

I dont mind eating animals, but iven ever really learned to eat good meat, just hamburger meat and shit like that.

Pigs and Cows are eaten because they are bred for the sole purpose of Giving food. (Well, in the cows case, Milk too.) Dogs aren't bred for the sole purpose of eating, nor cats, because they were for companionship. Thats just the history has made us.

But all things aside, I would have to say that if you could resist a Falet Minon, then you must be hard core Vegan.

Teh Pwned said:
Pigs and Cows are eaten because they are bred for the sole purpose of Giving food. (Well, in the cows case, Milk too.) Dogs aren't bred for the sole purpose of eating, nor cats, because they were for companionship. Thats just the history has made us.

But all things aside, I would have to say that if you could resist a Falet Minon, then you must be hard core Vegan.

fillet mignon

oh just because we've always done something doesnt mean we have to continue ..it's called progress

Teh Pwned said:

all right smart guy maybe you can tell me why scared animals taste better? there is some truth to that

ríomhaire said:
Alot of the stupider members don't post here.

Don't most people just click the new posts button. That's how I always post instead of going to individual sections.:naughty:

I am not against the fur industry as long as they didn't kill the animal JUST for the fur, like for example, a lemur, if it had cancer or a disease and was gonna die anyways then ya, don't waste the fur, but dont go out in the wild and catch and kill one just for the fur.

And as for the meat, How do you think humans survived in the early stages of evolution? eating leaves? well, ya we did eat leaves, but we also ate animals, so it is ok to eat meat, and vegies, humans are naturally omnivores.

Dog-- said:
I am not against the fur industry as long as they didn't kill the animal JUST for the fur, like for example, a lemur, if it had cancer or a disease and was gonna die anyways then ya, don't waste the fur, but dont go out in the wild and catch and kill one just for the fur.

well, I can assure you that the fur industry doesnt sit around waiting for animals to drop dead from cancer ...they're bred for their fur ..usually in small cages where they spend their entire lives

Dog-- said:
And as for the meat, How do you think humans survived in the early stages of evolution? eating leaves? well, ya we did eat leaves, but we also ate animals, so it is ok to eat meat, and vegies, humans are naturally omnivores.
The key phrase is bolded.

We've reached a point where killing animals for food is no longer necessary. There are plenty of alternative sources for all of the nutrition you get from animal meat, but without the bad stuff that comes with it. Then, even if you just like meat... scientists just recently learned how to grow it directly in labs instead of by growing animals and killing them for meat. It's not ready for the consumers but it's well on the way.

I am opposed to cruelty to animals at any level.
It is dreadful that animals are breed for their skins to satisfy out bloated self centred cosmetic fashion shows.

I'm not going to get into this too far as I had an exhausting argument less than a week ago about the same thing, somewhere else, but I've never seen any watertight argument for how eating meat can be justified.

The omnivore argument doesn't work, because as someone already said, we (in the wealthy, developed world, don't NEED to eat meat). Also, that we are naturally capable of eating flesh is not in itself an justification. Just because we are able to do something doesn't mean we should do it.

I don't agree with the idea that it is okay to eat meat so long as the animal doesn't suffer cruelty while it's alive. Even if the animal is pampered, it's still being murdered, which is about the most cruel thing that can be done to a living creature. I think if you use that argument you're just trying to make yourself feel better.

Yeah, I voted 'vegan' in the poll. But I eat meat quite often as I have very little will power and am a lazy cook.

pomegranate said:
The omnivore argument doesn't work, because as someone already said, we (in the wealthy, developed world, don't NEED to eat meat). Also, that we are naturally capable of eating flesh is not in itself an justification. Just because we are able to do something doesn't mean we should do it.

I don't really understand the problem here. Human Beings are made to eat many things, including meat. The instinct to hunt, kill, and eat are built into us. Animals hunt and kill other animals all the time without any remorse or guilt. A lion will pounce on a zebra, sink his teeth into its throat, rip it out, and eat the carcass. If animals can do this to one another why should we feel bad about killing something and eating its carcass? And talk about humane; I personally feel that a bullet to the head or heart is a much nicer way to go out than having some beast tear out my throat, or chomp off my legs or cut open my stomach. Now we humans do put some of our animal urges to the side, but only if acting on them would be detrimental to our society. We have agreed to live in society; we realize it is crucial to our continued survival. But hunting other animals in particular doesn’t fall under the “detrimental to society” category, and it’s not only present in nature, it is crucial to the entire process. So there isn’t any real problem that I can see.

Glirk got a point, If you buy and eat meat It's not going to save the animal, I mean, if you don't buy the meat someone else will, and it gets the same fate, As long as your not hunting and killing/gutting the animal yourself, you did nothing to hurt the animal, atleast it's carcass isn't going to waste.

Oh sry for the double post, but this is fur-related, if you catch 2 animals your gonna use for fur, they have babies and so on and so on, as long as you eventually release 2 of the same animals back into the wild, you did nothing to disturb nature, as long as the animals didn't suffer while you took care of them, and when you killed them you killed them very quick and painless, to nature the 2 animals just went missing for a while

plus, eating meat gives your iron and protein, and vitamins and stuff you can't get from plants, it gives you more energy.

Dog, not only that but MILLIONS of animals are killed during harvest each year. What's worse is they don't even use the meat on the animals that are killed. That is worse than what we do. Even the organic grown stuff doesn't help. They introduce more predators into the eco system and that screws it up. Read the link I posted as it is very very informative and makes a lot of sense.

I strongly agrea with the vegan stand point
Unfortunately, i'm too lazy to be moral, so i <3 meat

Dog-- said:
iron and protein, and vitamins and stuff you can't get from plants
You don't need to eat foods from animals to have enough protein in your diet. Plant proteins alone can provide enough of the essential and non-essential amino acids, as long as sources of dietary protein are varied and caloric intake is high enough to meet energy needs. Soy protein has been shown to be equal to proteins of animal origin. It can be your sole protein source if you choose.

Dried beans, spinach, enriched products, brewer's yeast and dried fruits are all good plant sources of iron.

Studies show that vegetarians absorb and retain more calcium from foods than nonvegetarians. Vegetable greens such as spinach, kale and broccoli, and some legumes and soybean products, are good sources of calcium from plants.

Zinc is needed for growth and development. Good plant sources include grains, nuts and legumes.

The only thing you couldn't (past tense) get from a vegetarian diet was Vitamin B12... but technology solved that problem. Now, you can get it in supplements and/or fortified wheat/soy/cereal products.

The source? That information came directly from the American Heart Association. It also said the following about modern vegetarian diets:

They're also usually lower than nonvegetarian diets in total fat, saturated fat and cholesterol. Many studies have shown that vegetarians seem to have a lower risk of obesity, coronary heart disease (which causes heart attack), high blood pressure*, diabetes mellitus and some forms of cancer.

* I have high blood pressure (hereditary, no obvious causes). Anything I can do to lower it is good in my book.

... and on the killing of animals in harvesting:

In the US alone, more than 8 billion animals are slaughtered for food every year. Worldwide, the total is closer to 45 or 50 billion. Then, the amount of food they require boosts the grain production much more than it would be if they weren't used for food... which vastly inflates the same numbers of accidental deaths that are then attributed to vegetarians. The numbers of deaths caused both directly and indirectly by people that eat animals for food completely dwarf (proportionally speaking, not because there are less vegetarians) the figures caused by vegetarions.

Both sides need grain harvesting. Killing some animals by accident is unavoidable when you try to produce food on such a massive scale. It's up to the people that do the harvesting to take as many precautions as possible against killing animals. Sure, vegetarians would like a perfect world where no animals got killed in the process of making their food... but that's just not possible at the moment. What vegetarians try to do is limit the number of animals that are killed... and the obvious choice is to not eat animal meat because it kills animals two ways. There's the direct connection of supply and demand (eat more animals and more animals get killed for food)... then there's also the exact same accidental deaths that you would be causing by eating grain products. So, it's retarded to argue that vegetarians are hypocritical for choosing the lesser of two evils.

It's like saying people that drive cars are hypocritical because they don't murder people for gas money... because cars cause tons of accidental deaths every year.

Back