Posibilities With Hl2 Physics

I

Italiangeek

I think It would be sweet to see a mod/map where you can play board games 'n such on a HUGE board where you push around the pieces! I'm sooooooo freaking angry b/c HL2 wasn't released on time!!!! On Sept 30th I was goign to freakign run to my house after school, get in my Vette, and freaking fly at least 165MPH down Rt 70 to the local gamestop where I preordered it......now that it's delayed I have to wat another month and a half to get the game d@mnit!!! you have no idea how much I was looking forward to palying HL2!!! WELL ANYWAY...WHAT DO YOU GUYS WANT TO DO WITH THE GREATEST PHYSICS EVER?

:bounce: <---that's not even close to how excited I was

The question could be:
What will the physics do with us?
I think that when we play it we'll find new ways to get fun we even didn't imagine.

I am going to learn how to map in HL2. Then I'm going to make BAZILLIONS of maps dedicated to fooling with physics...

You don't even know how cool it's going to be with ACTUAL vehicles and objects that have UNGODLY physics!

One of the first maps I'm going to make will have a buggy and you have to drive it accross wood planks floating on water.

Hmm... :afro:

That reminds me how I felt when I got a cs server adminship, I had control over the entire server, and the possibilities were endless...You know how cool it is when you do admin_execall r_drawviewentities 2? owns!! (for the one who does that, and for some of the players.. :) )
Hmm...well, with the physics engine, the possibilities are also endless :) I'm all excited and stuff.

The possibilities are ENDLESS! I haven't even played HALF of the HL/CS/etc maps already out there and all thier easter eggs!!!111

*implodes*

i will drop dead bodies in the water:D lool :)) about hmm 1000 bodies :))))) its fun to move bodies with that weird weapon to move things :) it rules..!!!! but i have 100 other ideas to talk about ;)

simple.

use the real physics that exist in real life :cheers:

You take a TABLE... see where I'm goin'?

And you put a TOASTER on it! Huh?

And then the toast come out SO HARD that it makes the toaster blast through the table! Huh? Am I right?

man all these ideas are making me drool like never before.. Keep up the good work , guys!

Originally posted by CrazyHarij
man all these ideas are making me drool like never before.. Keep up the good work , guys!

Yes, I too drool at the thought of toast.

WOW...those are some sweet ideas...I def. agree it will be freaking sweet to play with the awesome ragdolll physics.....(maybe for a map you could have an infinite # of bodies fall into a pool from the sky while the players in the map fight each other from accross the pool..you know like iceworld...with all the weapons laying out on the poolside)

Stickfigs I love the idea with the table lol...good stuff!

infinite bodies falling into the pool nice idea :)))) i'm thinking how would the pool look like with full of bodies and if one body will sink other body do you know what i mean?

Originally posted by nw909
wsup with all the youngin's joining all of a sudden?

Where do you see that? How do you know how young these guys are?

Originally posted by Kitarist
infinite bodies falling into the pool nice idea :)))) i'm thinking how would the pool look like with full of bodies and if one body will sink other body do you know what i mean?

Yeah....the pool will overflow and the bodies will pile up in a big mound (like an obstacle).

yeah something like that.... oh what about water effect could water be on the floor if a lot of amount of water should blow to the floor ( i dont know how to explain this sorry) hm :)

idea 1
make a steep hugeass mountain and making stuff like cars and large objects tumble down it, hitting trees and other objects like cabins as they go down,some objects would get launched by going over mines, then some make huge splases in the lake below, meanwhile im on a skateboard racing down watching this all at once....

idea 2
make a big roller coaster with gaps and that goes upside down,twisting and turning, drive on it and crashing through things all the while

idea 3
make a map where you can level an entire city, ride a strider, and set off a huge bomb.

idea 4
make rocket surfboards where you can surf on water real fast, make waves too, like 500 foot high waves

idea 5
make long trails of gasoline where one flick of a bic will make this blaze go all over the place.

I like to build a big house all out of wood and shoot it to little parts!

Originally posted by fudnick
idea 1
make a steep hugeass mountain and making stuff like cars and large objects tumble down it, hitting trees and other objects like cabins as they go down,some objects would get launched by going over mines, then some make huge splases in the lake below, meanwhile im on a skateboard racing down watching this all at once....

idea 2
make a big roller coaster with gaps and that goes upside down,twisting and turning, drive on it and crashing through things all the while

idea 3
make a map where you can level an entire city, ride a strider, and set off a huge bomb.

idea 4
make rocket surfboards where you can surf on water real fast, make waves too, like 500 foot high waves

idea 5
make long trails of gasoline where one flick of a bic will make this blaze go all over the place.

Idea #3 is funny XD

Thats like KABOOM!

Make UNUSUALLY HUGE striders and take one of thier legs out and watch em fall and crush the buildings below.

If you make a big city and flag everything as destructable it will lag like hell. There's a reason why 3D engines doesn't allow you to break everything and speed is that reason.

Belive me the engine is not that different from the one in HL1 when it comes to what you can break and whatnot.

In the Lab video where a strider shoots a hole in the wall the hole was already there but disguised as a breakable entity. I can also guarantee that the part of the building shot out by the strider in the City 17 video was especially modeled as breakable while the other parts of the building was not.

So don't get your hopes up on what you can do and what you can't do with the engine :)

Originally posted by Zynaps
If you make a big city and flag everything as destructable it will lag like hell. There's a reason why 3D engines doesn't allow you to break everything and speed is that reason.

Belive me the engine is not that different from the one in HL1 when it comes to what you can break and whatnot.

In the Lab video where a strider shoots a hole in the wall the hole was already there but disguised as a breakable entity. I can also guarantee that the part of the building shot out by the strider in the City 17 video was especially modeled as breakable while the other parts of the building was not.

So don't get your hopes up on what you can do and what you can't do with the engine :)
yeah i know, but theres always later on in the future when there are vid cards that can do this.

In the Lab video where a strider shoots a hole in the wall the hole was already there but disguised as a breakable entity.

This part of your posts contains a lot of assumptions. All of the wall may have been specified as 'breakable', and the strider may have used that 'breakability' to get at the people he knew were inside.

I can also guarantee that the part of the building shot out by the strider in the City 17 video was especially modeled as breakable while the other parts of the building was not.

We don't know exactly how breakability works, so 'guaranteeing' this is not a good idea. That whole area may have been breakable. Maybe just the buildings the Strider would most likely shoot at. Maybe it's as you said. We just don't know how efficiently Source handles it.

Don't guarantee what you don't know for sure. :)

i wish valve would give us the techdemo level..that would hold me over for a whole year if they chose to delay hl2 that long..i mean can u imagine tossing that body around? shooting the barrels n stuff!! fun fun fun..

No, Red Faction can blow up walls and stuff. That was fun while it lasted.

Just because they do not make everything breakable in HL2 maps doesnt mean you cannot do that with maps you make yourself. If physics is all CPU bound then faster CPUs should beable to handle it. I can see someone making a map like those ideas above.

Like they keep saying, design choice, not a technical limitation ;)
Granted the map maker would have to set each thing as breakable and how many pieces make up the complete object so it breaks in that many pieces.

What's really great about the engine is just every little thing that it brings to the table to give you a much more realistic world.

I can see it now, a ski mod with other combine skiing right beside you trying to take you down while dodging logs, rocks and trees. Going over hills, jumps and down valleys. lol
"Avalanche!"

Originally posted by nw909
I just want to make some wood, and shoot it, yay.

*Walks up to the podium*

*sorts papers*

*clears throat*

ahem...

OMGWTFLOL!!!11!one!!1

Back