Question about HDR?

Gavon

Reaction score
Can anyone tell if hdr is in hl2? I checked out the new screen shots i can't tell if its in or not..

Yes, it's available.

There'll probably be an option to turn it on/off.

There is a bink out that advertises the source engine's capability of HDRR

I think it isnt included in HL2 atm, even though it is currently capable in source. Maybe they'll add it later who knows, I am disapointed tho as its one of the reasons why I upgraded to a directx9 card.

Hazar Dakiri said:
Yes, it's available.

There'll probably be an option to turn it on/off.
How do u knoe for sure man?

It is now being mentioned in the feature list that HL2 does in fact utilize HDR lighting, althogh we will not know for sure until it is released. (And if it is not in the shipping version, Valve stated that an update woulc/could be provided to enable HDR support). Also the newest screenshots do look like they have HDR enabled, but that could just be Lens Bloom.

EDIT: HDR(I) means High-Dynamic Range (Imaging).

from the preload i couldnt find the hdr dll so im guessing its not in it now but will be included later.

HDRR= high dinamic range rendering

=eye candy. :)

to Tork: we don't have the entire preload yet ;)

its does use HDR lighting. I don't think pc.ign.com would use false information cause they dope, boi!

It would be crazy for valve to not include it. They should atleast make it available for those of us that have the hardware to use it.

I think the problem is that it would be difficult for them to make that aspect scalable. I say, force everyone to upgrade! Our economy needs it.

HDR is in:

hl2_shot40.jpg

Doesn't look like a light bloom.

Guys, guys, it is called HDRI, that is the full name, and it stands for High Dynamic Range Imaging. Which is a process used to simulate real-world lighting scenarios by circumventing the 256 bit color limitations of computer images by allowing for brightness/luminance values many thousands times greater then 256.

lans said:
HDR is in:

hl2_shot40.jpg

Actually that looks more like a Lens Flare then HDR, for HDR would cause the "whiteness" to overlap onto the building, causing a silhouette effect.

EDIT: CRAP, my bad, I apologize for the double post. :O

lans said:
HDR is in:

hl2_shot40.jpg

Actually that looks more like a Lens Flare then HDR, for HDR would cause the "whiteness" to overlap onto the building, causing a silhouette effect.

EDIT: CRAP, my bad, I apologize for the double post. :O

PLEASE DELETE THIS POST.

Ugh I hate this term. Whoever labeled the light bloom effect for video games "HDR" needs to be shot. It is not HDR. Realtime HDR lighting is years away. In fact, I'd be very, very surpised if any game engine even has the capability to use high bit depth images. This almost erks me as much as when people say new game engines have "Pixar" quality graphics.

Sorry, I'll step down from my soapbox now.

The new shots do have very bright lighting. Even if it isn't exactly HDR, the light blooms seem to be bright enough.

Anyway, refer to the pic I have posted above. I'm confused weather it's actual HDR or light bloom.

butternuts said:
Ugh I hate this term. Whoever labeled the light bloom effect for video games "HDR" needs to be shot. It is not HDR. Realtime HDR lighting is years away. In fact, I'd be very, very surpised if any game engine even has the capability to use high bit depth images. This almost erks me as much as when people say new game engines have "Pixar" quality graphics.

Please do step down. Source has full HDR capabilities.

butternuts said:

Actually HDR use in games, in real-time, is now possible due to 32/128-bit floating point capabilities of graphics cards. Although games are far from having Pixar quality, and probably won't for quite some time.

---​

lans said:
The new shots do have very bright lighting. Even if it isn't exactly HDR, the light blooms seem to be bright enough.

Anyway, refer to the pic I have posted above. I'm confused weather it's actual HDR or light bloom.

That is a combination of Lens Flare and Light Blooming. That does not demonstrate true HDR lighting.

EDIT: In about 5-10 minutes I will have a HDR render I can show, which will use HDR lighting and image based radiosity.

butternuts said:

HDR can be done real time, see RTHDRIBL. Complete with HDR DOF and lightblooms.

Games can utilize the basic features of the higher precision, but not like you say with HDR image based lighting, that's an idea that Valve had to dump because it wasn't possible yet they said.

Dirk Pitt said:
Please do step down. Source has full HDR capabilities.

LOL I don't think so. Go learn what true HDR is and how it works before you post.

butternuts said:
LOL I don't think so. Go learn what true HDR is and how it works before you post.

Actually sir, you are incorrect and the other gentleman is correct. Source supports HDR lighting, not in CSS at this point, but in HL2. (Due to network/lag issues)

Well i guess we will have to wait and see once hl2 is out, nonetheless the new ss's look really good:)

mirageacg said:
Actually sir, you are incorrect and the other gentleman is correct. Source supports HDR lighting, not in CSS at this point, but in HL2. (Due to network/lag issues)

HDR has nothing to do with network code, it's purely a client side option just like other graphics options are.

mirageacg said:

Now, I have avoided all this HDR crap so far... but seriously....

How in the name of the carrot man on the front page does a graphical effect affect networking!!!!! :eek:

marksmanHL2 :) said:
Now, I have avoided all this HDR crap so far... but seriously....

How in the name of the carrot man on the front page does a graphical effect affect networking!!!!! :eek:
Well, how does taking a screenshot affect networking??
I does in IL2:FB.

OK this is nuts. You guys eat marketing words without understanding what they are. Key word there, is LIGHTING. Game engines that support "HDR" are faking light bloom. If there is a high dynamic range image anywhere in the game, I guarentee you it is not controlling scene lighting. Crap, realtime shadows from one or two light sources is a huge leap forward. We are nowhere near true HDR. "HDR" bloom is just a graphics hack, just like depth of field that somebody mentioned before. All it does is blur the scene based on zdepth, instead of actually taking into account camera focus/aperature/etc.

If Source supported HDR, then you could map out your level, throw a HRD image in as the sky, and the scene would light itself.

And yes, I know what HDR is, I use it almost on a daily basis.

Anyone has an example of HDR? I don't really know what it does :)

---​

True HDRI Lighting, HDRI RENDER.

And if a server used HDR lighting then all clients/players would have to use it, because if someone had it off, then that could be viewed as an exploit, i.e. no HDR light blooms or lighting.

---​

butternuts said:
OK this is nuts. You guys eat marketing words without understanding what they are. Key word there, is LIGHTING. Game engines that support "HDR" are faking light bloom. If there is a high dynamic range image anywhere in the game, I guarentee you it is not controlling scene lighting. Crap, realtime shadows from one or two light sources is a huge leap forward. We are nowhere near true HDR. "HDR" bloom is just a graphics hack, just like depth of field that somebody mentioned before. All it does is blur the scene based on zdepth, instead of actually taking into account camera focus/aperature/etc.

If Source supported HDR, then you could map out your level, throw a HRD image in as the sky, and the scene would light itself.

Actually you are talking about HDR radiosity based lighting, which is impossible at this point.

Ah, that explains what you meant by CS:S issues. I'm with you on that. It's just like the smoke. You can't have a super low quality version of that in CS:S either or else people could just set their graphics quality to low and have a huge advantage.

mirageacg said:
True HDRI Lighting, HDRI RENDER.

And if a server used HDR lighting then all clients/players would have to use it, because if someone had it off, then that could be viewed as an exploit, i.e. no HDR light blooms or lighting.

---​

Actually you are talking about HDR radiosity based lighting, which is impossible at this point.

Thanx!!! :sniper:
That looks awesome!

lans said:
HDR is in:

hl2_shot40.jpg

Thats a shader effect done on the skybox for the sun.

It's not high dynamic range.

mirageacg said:
True HDR Lighting, HDR RENDER.

---​

I hope you're just showing people what HDR can do and not suggesting Source can do this...

If that is an actual HDR render, it is a poor example. The sky is entirely 1 value, which defeats the purpose of HDR. That render also uses raytracing...

butternuts said:

Well, you don't know what HDR is then, what you're pointing at is image based lighting, something that was considered for HL2, but was eventually dumped because it iis indeed impossible. But HDR stands for nothing else than high dynamic range which allows a lightvalue to exceed 256.

And then you can use that to apply graphical effects, like when a certain area of a frame has a lightvalue of 1000 and if the contrast of that value with the rest of the frame is over a certain amount, an effect like lightblooming (a gaussian blur) or a glare (motion blur post process effect in 4 directions) is applied. It requires no HDRI's.

Here is a small realtime HDR demo

It's been posted on these forums a few times, but its just so damned cool to look at.

Actually it uses radiosity, and I have bumpped up the values of the image to obtain that effect.

Here is a real HDR based render RNL, not using raytracing.​

EDIT: Link should work fine, it does for me.

there is an entire HL2 movie based on HDR, jsut go download it and see for yourself what HDR looks like in HL2.

Pvt Ryan: I apologize. HDR/HDRI are often interchangable. I didn't specify between the two. My original point being people are confused by the "HDR" when applied to game engines. The reason that label was picked is because it fakes an effect created by HDRI based lighting.

Dirk Pitt: that demo is pretty cool, but that's only half HDR :) HDRI for lighting, Pixel Shaders for environment reflections, and no shadows. Once that guy gets shadows in, I'll eat my words.

Mirage: That first image you posted, even if it uses radiosity, it also uses raytracing, or else you wouldn't be getting all those reflections. And as for that HRDI render, how long did it take? Very far away from realtime :)

The movie was created by Paul Devebec, he has two, one called Fiat Lux, the other called RNL. The picture I posted was my attempt to recreate the RNL movie.

Butternuts, that is correct about the first image, but the second one is based solely on IBL and HDRI. Render times was 1:45 (one minute and forty-five seconds), hardly realtime, but realtime is now possible with the new X800 and the 6800. (Don't forget the renders I posted are software based renders, and HL2 HDR would be hardware based, a significant advantage over software.)

Back