Questions about Martial Arts.

Reaction score
Just wondering. I plan to take Wushu San Sho Do.
And wushu is generally the same as kung fu-the term wushu is the general term for all martial arts in China.
Who here takes martial arts? Is it good excercise? Will it build muscles and help people lose some weight?
Why must I know this...I plan to take it to help me in my tricking.
What's tricking?
www.trickstutorials.com , I've been inspired by www.teamryouko.com
I've kinda started tricking...I've learned the 360 Tornado kick and I'm learning the aerial(Cartwheel without hands)
And I'm 5"6/7-ish and I'm around 137 lbs. is that healthy?

Wushu is basically flashy moves that are somewhat ineffective. It's great exercise though. You must weight lift while doing martial arts for the most positive benefits. It will help your tricking.

You sound lean enough to be doing this crazy stuff.

Glo-Boy said:
Wushu is basically flashy moves that are somewhat ineffective. It's great exercise though. You must weight lift while doing martial arts for the most positive benefits. It will help your tricking.

You sound lean enough to be doing this crazy stuff.
Thanks for the kind reply.

Oh, Joe Eigo...who hasn't heard of that guy? He's one of the best!
And yeah...very impressive videos.

well, i do capoeira.
and you learn pretty much everything of everything in capoeira.

I'm going to see if I can find a place where I can practise Bodu! Samurai swordfighting!!

Ju-Jitsu has bits of everything. Kicking, throws, locks, weapons etc. I'd recommend it.

Martial Arts will definately help you in your life, whether you have to fight or not. It's excellent excercise, since I started taking Tang Soo Do last summer I've noticed I'm much more muscular.

Yeah, that's healthy enough. I'm 5'8 and 130 lbs but I'm real skinny, so you're ok.

I've kinda started tricking...I've learned the 360 Tornado kick and I'm learning the aerial(Cartwheel without hands)

Just some advice, go see an actual instructor, don't learn off the internet or books. If you try to learn off some diagram you'll end up doing something wrong and then you practice it wrong and it's hard to correct it. If you have a good instructor though he'll point out your mistakes that you're not even aware of. Plus, don't count on all those fancy 360 aerial kicks to do you any good in a fight. The simplest move is often the best one. If I could know any single kick I'd rather have just a simple sidekick than all the jumping kicks in the world.

Thanks guys...I needed some optimism. And I wouldn't use the aerial or anything for a fight...I know it's not really useful...but I do it for fun.

Tredoslop said:
And wushu is generally the same as kung fu-the term wushu is the general term for all martial arts in China.
Who here takes martial arts? Is it good excercise? Will it build muscles and help people lose some weight?
What's tricking?

Just learn how to use a gun. Then all the martial arts won't have a chance :p

I know a lot about Team Ryouko and Tricking (I know quite a bit of tricks myself) and it doesnt matter how tall and how much you weigh its your BodyFat percentage. I am about 5'9 5'10 145-150 but its muscle not fat. you could be 5'5 150 but if its muscle you will be fine.

I used to do Seido Karate, which was a load of crap TBH IMO. Great exercise but we barely did anything and according to a few mates who did Judo/Tae Kwon Do it took 3-4 times as long to get a belt in Seido. Still, I stuck with it for a few years since I was kind of into it and it was cheap :)

I'm about 5'10" (kind of an assumption :)), and I weigh...

/me zips to bathroom meter

about 180 :|

/me eats chocolate and cries

Bad^Hat said:
I used to do Seido Karate, which was a load of crap TBH IMO. Great exercise but we barely did anything and according to a few mates who did Judo/Tae Kwon Do it took 3-4 times as long to get a belt in Seido. Still, I stuck with it for a few years since I was kind of into it and it was cheap :)

I'm about 5'10" (kind of an assumption :)), and I weigh...

/me zips to bathroom meter

about 180 :|

/me eats chocolate and cries
That's pretty fit in my opinion.

Tredoslop said:
That's pretty fit in my opinion.

Heh, I'm not :)

I'm not fat, just tubby :D I used to be the skinny white kid, but I put on a few pounds since I had a huge growth spurt, my appetite took a hammering too. Shouldn't be too hard to right, just gotta get off my ass and do some jogging or something... or karate :D

Tubby = just a little rotund

Fat = lard hanging out everywhere

Tredoslop said:
Ok...let me ask...
Fat=?
Obese=?(I'm guessing if you're over 300)
Chubby=?

Fat is usually used as a derogratory (insulting) term when applied to the whole body, means overweight.

Obese means really big, or big enough to cause the body some harm. So basically it means "too big".

Chubby is usually attributed to being naturally round in the face/body. Just in general appearence, someone can be fit and still look a little chubby. Babies are mostly always chubby :)

/me looks at Mullinaters avatar.

Edit - /me looks at Letters avatar.

Oh FFS.

Oh, then I guess I'm a little chubby... but I was one of the fastest people in my elementary school.

Tredoslop said:
Oh, then I guess I'm a little chubby... but I was one of the fastest people in my elementary school.

I hope this doesn't come out offensive but many chinese/eastern asian people are chubby, it's a race trait or whatever you call it. It's cute sometimes ^_^

Bad^Hat said:
I hope this doesn't come out offensive but many chinese/eastern asian people are chubby, it's a race trait or whatever you call it. It's cute sometimes ^_^
That's true, and I'm not offended...in fact, Chinese people love being a little chubby.

Tredoslop said:
What's tricking?

If you want to do tricks, try going with Capoera or Wushu but don't do Kung Fu only for tricks. Kung Fu is not only a martial art, it's a way of life, and you learn that with the time. It's been 4 years since I started doing Kung-Fu but we don't learn any tricks except for the 1 hand Cartwheel and Front Hand spring. If you want to do some Aerial, Frontflips, Backflips, just get a matress and jump on it. It's the best way to learn because it takes off your fear of wounds. That's my advice. Take what you think is best!

Heheh, I was gona suggest Capoera for you but forgot. Birdman got it right though :)

Capoera is absolutely perfect for you tricks stuff. The only problem is its kinda difficult to find a place that teaches it.

Tredoslop said:

Depends on your instructor, I suppose. I study Krav Maga, and our sessions are very exhausting. Boxing is even harder.

The type of marital arts you want to take depends on what you want to do with it. Do you want to do it just for exercise, or actually learn how to defend yourself? If you want to do it for the exercise, just look for the dojo with 1,000 trophies in the window. You'll get a good workout doing a bunch of jumping and spinning kicks, but you wont be able to do it forever. Eventually your body will wear out, and when you come around on your elderly years you wont be able to protect yourself with it.

Where does Capoeira originate from, it doesn't sound far eastern?

I forget the exact location now...

Should be able to find it on google.

I do however know that it was developed by slaves who told their opressers that it was a dance. That way they did not stop them practising it.... :p

Its not exactly one of the most efficient or effective forms of self defence. But it looks ammazing in action and is one of the most impresive arts....

It also requires extreme flexibility and acrobatic skill to pull of some of the more complex stuff.

Capoeira was developed by African slaves in Brazil if I remember correctly. It was disguised as a dance because the slaves were not allowed to practise martial skills.

So, which martial art uses the bo-staff? Chris Mark(Kikz from Team Ryouko rocks with that thing)

well i take wing chun kung fu, and since i started it has built up a lot of muscle. It depends on how much u go tho and how much the academy u train at emphasizes the cardio portion rather than skills. I'd recommend it.

@ Tredo: We use it, but not like its exclusive to wing chun

i dont think theres one for the particular association i'm in..... but i cant say for sure, i'm gonna guess its a no.

Well, I take Hapkido, a Korean martial art, almost every day. I'm not sure who asked, but we use several types of Bo. I would say, if you want to be really good, you have to train on your own as well as in the dojo or studio. I'll try to get some pics up from my studio for you guys to see Hapkido in action. BTW, Hapkido is a combination of grappling, kicking, and punching.

I am very interested in doing Martial Arts but my local area only does Kick Boxing, Tae-Kwon-do or Karate, which one would you recommend for a completely unfit novice?

Back