Rate the last game you played

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ace Combat 6: 8/10 :)P)
It's a nice game.. a bit of a downgrade from 5, though. Where are my personalitied wingmen that get attached to and then one dies midgame? Come on? Some nameless guy who doesn't even do anything? The story is good, but it isn't the best. It's a keeper for me since I'm an ace combat fanatic, but it's a nono to non-fanboys. Also, I havn't finished it yet, playing on hard so I don't know if any crazy plot-twists or something happens... or maybe I get good
wingmen.

F.E.A.R: 8.5 Stunning graphics, creepy as hell,

F.E.A.R Extraction Point: 9 Gotta love the part when Doug Holiday starts flying around the warehouse!

F.E.A.R Perseus Mandate: 6 Bad gameplay, lost the storyline after the first level, not as good as the other two.

crysis: 5.9/10

First half was really good on Delta against the north Koreans.

Aliens sucked. Final boss battle failed. Ending sucked.

Graphics were cool, but right after I entered the core my average framerate dropped from about 30 to about 15.

Puzzle Quest (XBLA) - 7/10

Hello addiction, meet frustration.

The Witcher - 9.5/10

Fabulous game. Deep and ingrossing story. Beautiful graphics. Awesome gameplay. The best PC game to hit stores since the OB.

Virtua Fighter 5 - 5/10

Probably need to be a hardcore arcade fan, or someone who craves the thrill of getting their ass kicked by an unbeatable ai. There is no depth to the combat. Looks very nice though.

Skate - 8/10

Controls take a good getting used to, nice graphics. I hate not being able to walk up steps. >_<

Beowulf: The Game - 2/10

Shit.

UT3- 9.7/10
WoW-10/10
Rockband-9.1/10
CoD4/10/10
CSS-8.5/10
Assasins Creed-3/10
Mass Effect 9.5/10

I luv games 0.o

UT3- 9.7/10
WoW-10/10

Assasins Creed-3/10

I luv games 0.o

WHAT?

12.jpg

GRAW2 ..played for a few hours co-op ..graphics are nice, gameplay hasnt really changed much since the first ghost recon (xbox)

8/10

I never got to review this but here goes:

Team Fortress 2 - 10/10

This game is so much fun. I love the art style, it's definitely a pioneer in my book. Although I die alot, but then again I die alot in Multiplayer games. My favorate class is Heavy Weapons Guy, using a mini gun is ****ing awesome.

Peggle.

10/10

OH MY GOD THE COLOURS OH GOD THE POINTS AND THE EXPLOSIONS AND THE OH MY GOD, that's pretty much it.

The Witcher - 9.5/10

Fabulous game. Deep and ingrossing story. Beautiful graphics. Awesome gameplay. The best PC game to hit stores since the OB.

Seconded. I'm really liking the Witcher, it isn't perfect (the modernisms in the dialog are a bit distracting) and the repetition of many of the character models is somewhat annoying, but the actual mechanics etc are pretty robust and the adult tone is a welcome relief from the usual high fantasy bollocks that passes for plot in other games.

Mass Effect - 8/10

8? A freaking 8?! Oh yes, I personally don't think Mass Effect deserves a 9 or a perfect 10. Not only for the inventory flaws I have mentioned previously, but primarily two things: repetitive gameplay elements and combat.

This will sound nitpicky, but I think it's more advantageous to list the negative areas of Mass Effect rather than the more prominent and obvious positive gaming gold the universe of Mass Effect has by the barrell load.

So yes, the game has repetitive environments which form the entirety of the quests outside of the main story. There are few cities which cuts down on potential character interaction and moral choice, and the Mako combat and control is what can only be described as "meh".

Combat is really testing at times. Not testing as in "Oh, this bit's tricky", but testing as in "Oh, this bit's a nightmare because my squad are a bunch of braindead idiots and the game has placed me in a stupidly vulnerable position".

The combat in the game is supposed to be tactical, squad based with emphasis on cover. Unfortunately the game sees fit in many missions (after cutscenes being the main offender) to position you in the middle of an empty space facing a gang of hostiles. Yes, you can dash back to cover, but by the time you manage this you've no time to issue squad orders and they're all dead by the time you attempt to get in gear. The cover system can really be blown at times too, mainly when Krogans decide to put on immunity and charge you down. This can be countered using biotics or some such, but if you've blasted a hoarde of minions you're more than likely waiting for these abilities to recharge.

Example: last night I was faced with a Krogan and his Geth minions. The above scenario is apparent here (dumping you in a vulnerable spot, little to no cover etc etc), even after wasting the Geth minions this Krogan actually chased me to melee me to death, and because Sheperd's sprint is so absurdly pathetic he caught me EVERY time. The combat is only fun if enemies are scaled at around the same level as you and there's some diverse environments to fight in, provided you're at a high enough level/correct class for dealing with a platoon of hostiles when your squad decide to pass out.

Although I'm being incredibly harsh on the combat and repetitive issues of Mass Effect I like to recognise that this is possibly Biowares first attempt of such a system in a game as ambitious as Mass Effect. A lot to be taken onboard here for the developers, but I'll be sticking with the Mass Effect trilogy until the end.

Would I recommend Mass Effect? Hell yes, you're cheating yourself out of some of the finest story based, character involved moral choice sagas to hit consoles in a good while if you don't try it.

http://www.halflife2.net/forums/showpost.php?p=2475325&postcount=179

Mass Effect - 8/10
*snip

good post, i want to get this for xmas but the repetitive combat/ other annoyances make me wonder how much i will enjoy it, i am quite a forgiving gamer though.

good post, i want to get this for xmas but the repetitive combat/ other annoyances make me wonder how much i will enjoy it, i am quite a forgiving gamer though.
Don't worry about it Jimbo mate, I put the recommendation there for a very good reason and that's basically so everyone possible should at least try the game. The good far outweighs the bad, trust me.

You'll enjoy it. That review and score is probably of more appeal to folks who were sure about this game 1-2 years ago. ;)

Mass Effect is a very good game but its definitely not the same caliber as something like KOTOR or even KOTOR2. Its storyline simply doesn't meet up to their standards at any rate, and Mass Effect is about half the length of both KOTOR's. Also, the sidequests in Mass Effect amount to little more than "go here and kill this person", which is vastly different than most sidequests in KOTOR 1/2. To top it off, all those sidequests can be done in like 10 minutes

Final Fantasy 12 -

9/10 Gameplay
8/10 Visuals/Graphics
8/10 Political Story
5/10 Soundtrack/Audio
1/10 Character Development

Overall : A fairly great title, only let down by the fact that the developer choses to sacrifice character development for political development, and the repetitive background soundtracks for most areas. The "Mark" system does add extra length to the game, but some marks are next to impossible to find because the description is so vague of where to find them.

The aforementioned lack of character development is the most glaring mistake in an otherwise decent story, with several character relationships started, but left unfinished (Vann/Basch, Vann/Penelo for two), or just avoided altogether. Vann remains the common boy-thief , and Ashe remains the standard stubborn princess model of character throughout the story. Maybe the developer will take note and give a bit more thought to it in the next FF game, mind you ...

I haven't finished FF12 yet but i found the characters a welcome change from the FF 10. They were the most annoying and terribly written characters in a video game, ever. Except for maybe Auron, his character was half-decent, but everyone else was just so damn irritating.

FF10 was and always will be horrible.

I kept playing thinking it would get better, but it didn't. It got worse.

But then the end happened, AND THAT THING THAT PEOPLE KNOW WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT HAPPENED and I was happy. Very happy.

FF10 was and always will be horrible.

I kept playing thinking it would get better, but it didn't. It got worse.

But then the end happened, AND THAT THING THAT PEOPLE KNOW WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT HAPPENED and I was happy. Very happy.
FFX-2 was even worse.:p Do youself a favor and never subject yourself to that kind of self-mutilation, if you haven't done so already.:p

Anywho, to stay on track , my recent game was Oblivion, which I rate a solid 7.5:
Graphics:8.5 (Vanilla graphics. Qarls hi-res Texture Pack would be too much for my card.:()
Gameplay:7.5 (with the OOO mod, makes an unplayable game more playable. No horseback/calvary swashbuckling.)
Sound:6.5 (good FX, but a severe lack of voice actors which mostly have lame dialogue, and hearing some NPCs constantly repeating the same topic over and over sounds retarded)
Music:8 (good, but can get repetitive and most tunes other than the main theme are forgettable)
Story:7 (Too cliched IMHO to an otherwise decent plot. Some pacing issues too.)
Replayablility:9 (decent selection of third party and good plug-ins from Bethesda. I don't like how Bethesda charges for theirs though.:p Bah, just another milk machine. Stingy bastards.)

Overlord - 8.5/10

Very good on the humor and it's refreshing to be Evil (Good) or Super Evil (Evil).

Rock Band - 9.5/10

This is quite possibly the best group, co-op, multiplayer party game ever made.

Everything is done perfectly. I'm not sure if Harmonix could have done anything better. The track listing is great, and most songs are sung by their original artists. There is a good array of different genres to keep things interesting as well. The note placements make sense and never surpass what the song should call for.

If you've played Guitar Hero, you'll be right at home with the guitars (lead and bass) on Rock Band. The included guitar is quite different from Guitar Hero's, but still familiar. Gone are the blocky, colored buttons. Instead depressible plastic wood pieces with color coding on the side. It adds more of a realistic feel, I believe. Also, there are lower, smaller widthed fret buttons than can be used. They're there for guitar solos, though, and during a solo you don't need to strum when using the lower frets. You can also change the "effect" of the guitar at any time.

The drums are, imo, the best part. Apart from feeling too cramped and close together and the kick pedal seeming too stiff out of the box (I'm sure after a little more play it'll seem right), they're perfect. More difficult if you're not a drummer, it takes a lot of coordination to hit everything perfectly. Once you get into your groove after a couple plays through a song to kinda of memorize the drum layout, it feels great. You really do feel as if you're in a band, no lie. With three of your friends also playing... it feels awesome. Sure, there's individual scores but, as a band, you're looking for the combined score to move on so you really have to be on your game; no one can slack off. The occasional "make your own fill" sections are GREAT.

The mic aspect is cool too. I only played up to Medium and I was getting constant 85%+. You really do need to be on pitch to get a good score. It was hard for me, though, since I didn't know most of the songs before hand.

The character creator is cool, too. There aren't tons of options, but enough to make your guy look unique.

Overall, I don't know if $160 is worth it if it's just going to be you most of the time as the most enjoyment is had when you're in a full band. If you frequently have friends and family over, it's a no brainer.

Crysis : 5/10

Pros: It looked ok, had guns, Suit was fun for a little while

Cons: annoying and useless characters, bad ending, ran like ass, suit was basically useless when the aliens came.

Assasin's Creed - 6/10

Great idea but falls far short of the mark. Greatest flaw is its repetativeness, so great is this that I barely did the first few assasinations before becoming bored. Its simply a matter of scale all tall buildings, pickpocket someone here, listen to a conversation of someone there, clear the area of guards and then knife the guy, maybe have a sword fight for a bit and then run off.

Loosing guards is FARRRRR too easy, simply turn sharply on a corner, run onto a roof and hide in a covered arch or scale a tall building and jump off it into some hay. They should have severely limited the amount of hiding spots, and intercepted you a lot more on your way to these spots to make it incredibly tricky for you to get away, or allow you to make more use of the vigilanties and prayers.

The side missions are very lackluster and boring, usually just saving civilians so they can say EXACTLY the same thing as the other civilians said not to mention:
*SPOILER* they made a HUGE mistake in revealing the twist in the game at the start, not to mention the twist is ludicrous*END SPOILER*

So, the elements and ideas were there, but doesn't come close to the awsomeness of Prince of Persia or the Hitman games, however there are more to come in the future, so if they were to work on these issues and solve them, THEN, it would be the game it was meant to be.

But if you want my advice, get Mass Effect instead, I have barely started the main quest and already I am so emerged into the storyline, not to mention its VERY addictive, awsome, awsome game so far.

They should have severely limited the amount of hiding spots, and intercepted you a lot more on your way to these spots to make it incredibly tricky for you to get away, or allow you to make more use of the vigilanties and prayers.

The side missions are very lackluster and boring, usually just saving civilians so they can say EXACTLY the same thing as the other civilians said not to mention.

You've got a point but still I think it's a awesome game, ok it's got a few down sites like you said but still the graphics,the fighting system,the viewing points,... and you can also really climb every building and stuff like that. My opinion:

Assassins Creed- 9.5/10

Diablo 2 - I'd give it a 10/10 if THERE WEREN'T SO MANY CHOICES! ARRGGGHHH

Diablo 2 is the only RPG I actually dread levelling up in. If only there was a way to reset your skill tree choices, I always get a few things wrong early on.

Mass Effect - 8/10

An exellent, addictive and very in-depth storyline, voice acting is amazing and the graphics are brilliant. The combat system is a little sloppy and only really gets good halfway through, squad AI is pretty bad, im usually reviving them with the amount of times the kept dieing. Some side missions were really good but others weren't, and 'exploration' was rather shallow, all the planets were pretty much the same thing. Not much in terms of reply value, but the main storyline alone gives this an 8.

Lego star wars the complete saga (DS) 8/10

Its very good, graphics are decent, lots of replayablility, minigames are fun and it uses the DS's touch screen quite well.

However i have the first two for PC so it fells like i've paid for all these before. When they were designing it I imagine a conversation something like this:

George Lucas: I want a new LEGO SW Game.

TT: We've made the prequel trilogy. We've made the original trilogy. There's no more left.

George Lucas: Amateurs. Don't you people pay attention? Do what I do, tweak 'em a bit and rerelease!

TT: They'll never fall for that...

George Lucas: They have been for the last decade. Just make an annoucement and mention that there will be new things and they'll be available for new consoles. Oh, and make Greedo shoot first. They love that!

Call of Duty 4 -
Singleplayer - 9/10... Fan-****ing-tastic.

Multiplayer - 0/10... Can't even join any god damn servers, I get disconnected after every single map load. :|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back