Realistic grenade damage.

BWMASTER

Reaction score
OMG i'm rereading the preview from GameSpy and am finding some cool info I never knew about HL2

I suggest you guyz all go reread it because it has stuff that you may have missed before.

Anyways here is the quote:

" Newell also pointed out that explosions in the Source engine conform to the area in question, so a grenade launched into a tight corridor will cause more damage to someone the same distance away in an open space. "

http://www.gamespy.com/previews/may03/halflife2pc/

Check it out!

Wow, I think he used those exact words when talking about TF2 technology about 3 years ago... Seriously..

thats hella sweet, I just hope explosions dont go through walls anymore.

If it's new to me it's probably new to other people. Now how does your post help with the progression of my thread? :)

Originally posted by razorblade kiss
Wow, I think he used those exact words when talking about TF2 technology about 3 years ago... Seriously..

well it IS the same engine.

yah old article, but i hadnt read it in a while

interesting doug L stuff about the release date at the end...

Originally posted by BWMASTER
...called source... :)

Source is a modified hl1 engine?

my ass.

Source is a modified Havok engine, MP2 is using the same engine.

TF2 was originally using the hl1 engine but has since transferred to source.

TF2 was supposed to use slightly modified HL1 engine but then valve kept quiet about it and now it seems that now they are using the source engine to make TF2. Oh and btw, this is old news...

I have some doubts about that. If you remember I the Traptown video, when Gordon tossed a granade under the tank, the granade din't cause any damage to Gordon. Of cource the weapons were toned down, but even from 4-6 meters ti had to damage him.

BWT, Havok is only the physics engine, nothing more, AFAK.

Yea, Source is a new engine, that implements Havok physics...

lol, yeah, right, source is a modified havok engine, haha

dude, ok, here it is: Source is a completely new engine with a physics engine resembling and based off of Havok 2.0, they've modified it quite a bit

source is a brand new engine which they incorporated havok physics technology into, simple as. :)

Originally posted by Loshadka
I have some doubts about that. If you remember I the Traptown video, when Gordon tossed a granade under the tank, the granade din't cause any damage to Gordon. Of cource the weapons were toned down, but even from 4-6 meters ti had to damage him.

He threw it far enough not to get hurt.

they will sacrafice realism for gameplay in MP. grenades wont hurt till you are fairly close. or else everyone will be spamming grenades everywhere

Originally posted by Loshadka

Yeah but source isn't quake2

Originally posted by Pol
source is a brand new engine which they incorporated havok physics technology into, simple as. :)

True. If you go to the Havok website you can see that HL2 was the major testing ground for Havok 2.0, and alot of it was colaboration between Havok and Valve.

Havok give Valve credit for the their contribution to Havok 2.0, and says no game utilizes so much of it and show cases it like HL2.

If the explosions account for area, I assume that means they won't go through obstacles. It seems the grenades aren't fragmentary, so Gordon wouldn't have been hit by any flak.

Originally posted by RhapSidious
True. If you go to the Havok website you can see that HL2 was the major testing ground for Havok 2.0, and alot of it was colaboration between Havok and Valve.

I can no longer find any mention of valve on havok's site. I know it's been there before, but it seems they have removed it... A bunch of other games/game developers are there, but no HL2/Valve.

Let the speculations begin!

MWAHAHAHAHAA!

TF2 changes engines 4 times actually, each time requiring a full, or nearly full, restart of the game from scratch. It was originally going to be Team Fortress for Quake 2. Then the guys from VALVe showed TeamFortress Software their new game Half-Life and the guys from TFS signed on to valve to make TF2 on the HL engine as an expansion pack (engine #2).

When HL was out and they realized the limits of the HL engine (around the time Q3/UT were getting close to done) they decided to modify the HL engine and create a stand alone game (since expansion packs usually rely on the same engine as the previous game). This is engine #3.

While they were restarting and modifying the HL engine, they decided they needed to give the fans something to hold them over since people had been waiting for this game for a long time. So they took what work they had done for the HL engine and turned it into TFC and released it for free (kind of like how ET was in development and they released for free when they decided to cancel the project). It was somewhere before this point where they decided to make the actual TF2 a realistic game, and not just a sequal for Team Fortress (since so many ports had been made anyway).

So now working on engine #3 (HL engine modified for seperate release) they discovered that the HL1 engine, being a modified Q1 engine, just couldn't do what they wanted it to do. So they scrached that and started on their own propriatery engine. They told us this much, then they shut up for some 3 years. Now we can see what this engine is. Source is Engine #4 for TF2, which is why you really can't complain about it taking so long. Technically it's only been in development for 3 years because they started over from scratch with source. And most new games with new engines take 3-4 years of development anyway. TF2 is basically on par with other games in terms of development length, if maybe a bit longer.

Source is a modified Havok engine

Source is Source, not anything else modified. Havok is the physics engine which has been used in the Source engine. Havok is the same physics engine that will be used in Deus Ex 2.

Havok 1 is the physics engine used in Second Life :D And in v1.2 of Second Life, we get upgraded to Havok 2, FREE! w00t! :D

Back