Recommend me a book!

Thread

Reaction score
Hey guys,

last book I read was 1984 (was great) but I haven't read in a long time and it'd be cool if you guys could recommend me similar books. Alternatively does anyone know books with many philosophical ideas and things like that? I'm looking for those too :)

I think you would like SlaughterHouse 5 by Kurt Vonnegut. It's about a soldier in WWI who becomes insane.

The His Dark Materials series by Phillip Pullman. Admittedly, it's a very easy read, but that doesn't stop it from being f*cking incredible.

If you're looking for a more difficult read, pick up The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco. Also absolutely brilliant.

I would have to recommend you the new book called:
First Man. It is about Niel Armstrong's visit to the moon it is a OK book.

philosophical or psychologically speaking, crime and punishment by fyodor dostoevsky is a wonderful novel. it's a little heavy though, for entertaining reading i'd suggest something like fear and loathing in las vegas by hunter s. thompson.

Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson

It's about encryption/decryption, WWII and modern day, treasure hunting, Cap'n'Crunch...etc

JNightshade said:
The His Dark Materials series by Phillip Pullman. Admittedly, it's a very easy read, but that doesn't stop it from being f*cking incredible.

Oh man! I was going to suggest that very series.
Those three books are absolutely f*cking awesome!!!

Favorite books ever :)

Also, The Shadow of the Wind (forget the author) is a reeeeally choice gothic novel.

TheSomeone said:
I think you would like SlaughterHouse 5 by Kurt Vonnegut. It's about a soldier in WWI who becomes insane.

WWII.

And he was abducted by aliens D: Eff the PTSD theory!

DeusExMachina said:

yah ****. I was thinkin of two books at once.

The other one I was thinkin about is All Quiet on the Western Front.

JNightshade said:
If you're looking for a more difficult read, pick up The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco. Also absolutely brilliant.

Good book, but the first 200 pages are boooooooooooorrring. Then you kinda get into it.

For Whom the Bell Tolls by Ernest Hemingway is an amazing novel, my personal favorite. Buy it. Read it. Love it.

'To Kill a Mockingbird'
Best book I've ever read.

Well I'm a fast headcrab. MUAHAHAHAHA :devil:

PS: Thomas Hardy's 'Jude the Obscure' is good.

If you like fantasy at all, the Song of Ice and Fire series by George R.R. Martin is great. It's also very long, so if you don't like long books...

Solaris said:
'To Kill a Mockingbird'
Best book I've ever read.

Lol, such a terrible book. There's a reason they make you read it in school.

DreadLord1337 said:
Lol, such a terrible book. There's a reason they make you read it in school.
I read it on my own iniciative, as far as I know my school doesn't even own a copy.

And go on, why is a book considered by so many as the best book of all time a terrible book?

Solaris said:
I read it on my own iniciative, as far as I know my school doesn't even own a copy.

And go on, why is a book considered by so many as the best book of all time a terrible book?

Because it's boring as balls. I'd rather read a book about the oregon trail and dysentary. Nobody cares about Aticus Finch.

And in the US I think pretty much every high school reads it. Or at least everyone I've spoken to.

DreadLord1337 said:
Because it's boring as balls. I'd rather read a book about the oregon trail and dysentary. Nobody cares about Aticus Finch.

And in the US I think pretty much every high school reads it. Or at least everyone I've spoken to.
Well I'm in the UK. And it's incredably exciting, I couldn't put it down. Aticus is a wonderful character.

Nowhere near 1984, but the Count of Monte Cristo is a good read (unabridged).

By Alexandre Dumbass. Uhh Dumas.

If you like Orwell, read 'Homage To Catalonia'. Its about his experiences in the Spanish Civil war (ever wondered exactly what it feels like to get a rifle round through the neck?)

Also, I'd recommend anything by Iain M Banks. I hated Sci-Fi until I read Consider Phlebas.

Also, read Watchmen by Alan Moore.

Maddox's Alphabet of Manlyness looks good.

If you like 1984, try Brave New World, or The Sleeper Awakes.

Shakespeare. Yeah, you heard me.

Novels:

Jack Keroac - On the Road
Sylvia Plath - The Bell Jar
Tom Wolfe - Bonfire of the Vanities (I keep feeling that I'm living this on WoW RP)
William Golding - Lord of the Flies
Joseph Conrad - The Secret Agent, Heart of Darkness
H.G. Wells - all of it
Charlotte Bronte - Jane Eyre (if you can get past 'omg old/boring').
Jean Reese - Wide Sargasso Sea (you'd need to read Eyre first)
William Makepeace Thackeray - Vanity Fair
Voltaire - Candide
Philip Pullman - His Dark Materials
Iain M Banks - Consider Phlebas, Use of Weapons, etc
William Gibson - anything and everything. Start with Neuromancer.
Neal Stephenson - Snow Crash
Philip K Dick - short stories
Hunter S Thompson - everything (track down his articles as well)
Terry Pratchet - Good Omens/Discworld (the latter declines)

And Shakespeare.

Plays:
(You should obviously always see plays rather than read them but the ones with the star next to them, even more so)

Henrik Ibsen - anything
Samuel Beckett - Waiting For Godot *
Harold Pinter - The Birthday Party
Oscar Wilde - The Importance of Being Earnest
John Webster - The White Devil *

Also, Shakespeare!

If you like 1984, try Brave New World. A few others I liked off the top of my head:

Narcissus and Goldmund - Hesse
Siddhartha - Hesse
The Razor's Edge - Maugham
Atlas Shrugged - Rand
On the Road - Kerouac
Zorba the Greek - Kazantzakis

DreadLord1337 said:

To Kill A Mockingbird is one of the greatest novels of our time. How can you find it boring. Atticus Finch is the ****ing man :|

Sulkdodds said:
If you like 1984, try Brave New World, or The Sleeper Awakes.

Shakespeare. Yeah, you heard me.

Novels:

Jack Keroac - On the Road
Sylvia Plath - The Bell Jar
Tom Wolfe - Bonfire of the Vanities (I keep feeling that I'm living this on WoW RP)
William Golding - Lord of the Flies
Joseph Conrad - The Secret Agent, Heart of Darkness
H.G. Wells - all of it
Charlotte Bronte - Jane Eyre (if you can get past 'omg old/boring').
Jean Reese - Wide Sargasso Sea (you'd need to read Eyre first)
William Makepeace Thackeray - Vanity Fair
Voltaire - Candide
Philip Pullman - His Dark Materials
Iain M Banks - Consider Phlebas, Use of Weapons, etc
William Gibson - anything and everything. Start with Neuromancer.
Neal Stephenson - Snow Crash
Philip K Dick - short stories
Hunter S Thompson - everything (track down his articles as well)
Terry Pratchet - Good Omens/Discworld (the latter declines)

And Shakespeare.

Plays:
(You should obviously always see plays rather than read them but the ones with the star next to them, even more so)

Henrik Ibsen - anything
Samuel Beckett - Waiting For Godot *
Harold Pinter - The Birthday Party
Oscar Wilde - The Importance of Being Earnest
John Webster - The White Devil *

Also, Shakespeare!

Snow crash FTW!!

Back