Rome : Total War

The_Monkey said:
I got another question. How to unload from boats? When it says that's it's going to unload, nothing happens.
Select the units that you want to unload, then right click on an area of land that the boat can unload to. You may have to sail the boat to shore first.

Its one of the best rts i have ever played.

has anyone tried joining a multiplayer game? i keep getting the same message "Cannot connect to host" or some such.

apparently a lot of people are having the same problem. does anyone know whether you need to open certain ports? i'd rather not play without a firewall if at all possible.

I'm playing Julii, handing out punishment to the Gauls in a short campaign to get a feel for the game. The senate keeps ordering me to attack Carthage though, last three missions: take carthage town on island, block port Carthago (! huge fleet lying there, couldn't do them, senate still has a 50% rating for me though), again the same block Carthago mission, and now I have to block a Greek port. I'm supposed to be out conquering gauls but the senate expects me to lord the sea or something (grr).

Anyway, I just started my invasion of the Gaul-land behind the alps with two pretty strong armies. Making a ton of money too.

Farrow, didn't your archers slaughter part of your own army in the battle you described? It happens to me. Not really in large amounts, like 75 losses instead of 50 while the enemy is obliterated, but still. I feel forced to use archers sparingly to save my dear hastati.

Yeah they got quite a few actually..in another battle I had a group of men surrounding one soldier, and my archers (3 groups, one using fire) opened fire...:x I lost about 40 men before the enemy soldier died.

Thank heck for the phalanx! The gauls decided to helpfully break my alliance, and proceeded to siege one of my towns with very few men in it. Outnumbered 3:1, I had to hope for the strength of my somewhat untrained spearmen to hold out and repel the barbaric savages. It worked!

http://members.lycos.co.uk/axyon/phalanx.jpg

theGreenBunny said:
I'm playing Julii, handing out punishment to the Gauls in a short campaign to get a feel for the game. The senate keeps ordering me to attack Carthage though, last three missions: take carthage town on island, block port Carthago (! huge fleet lying there, couldn't do them, senate still has a 50% rating for me though), again the same block Carthago mission, and now I have to block a Greek port. I'm supposed to be out conquering gauls but the senate expects me to lord the sea or something (grr).

Anyway, I just started my invasion of the Gaul-land behind the alps with two pretty strong armies. Making a ton of money too.

Farrow, didn't your archers slaughter part of your own army in the battle you described? It happens to me. Not really in large amounts, like 75 losses instead of 50 while the enemy is obliterated, but still. I feel forced to use archers sparingly to save my dear hastati.

little bit of advice:
do your best to please the senate at the beginning of the game, they will reward you handsomly
however, always be prepared for an all out war against them and the other families :devil:

Axyon said:
Select the units that you want to unload, then right click on an area of land that the boat can unload to. You may have to sail the boat to shore first.

I did that, It didn't work. Oh well, I'm targeting the north anyway so it doesn't matter much. Thanks anyway.

Try clicking on the units on the boat and left clicking the area you want to move them to.

if you guys went to comp usa earlyer they have rome total war for 39.99...but yeah i have it but have not played it yet :( , its been a week now since i had it

What I love is the smooth progression of army types as the game goes along. And, I've just had the best battle I've had in any TW game.

Juli (sp?) vs. Bretons. The battlefield was half swathed in woods: down both flanks of may army, and with two 'prongs' protruding almost halfway. A path ran through the gap.
Code:
*| [color=#009900]****[/color]
*| [color=#FF0000]***[/color]*
I deployed in the red region, my enemy in the green region. My battleline was a mixture of early cohort, auxilia, and skirmishers. I deployed my cavalry on the path, to the left flank of my army, and prayed that my (comparatively!) weak right flank wouldn't take too much damage.

The battle begun, and the barbarians immediately ran towards my lines. They had - I kid you not - 'Head Hurlers' that made for my men, but then I had archers with far more range. What happened, for the entire duration of the battle in the central area, was the Bretons getting close, breaking and taking some casualties, repeat. I ignored that section and focused on the two trouble spots, my flanks. In the woods I had just foot troops (never take cavalry into woods) and all of my archers were in the centre. There was a good deal of warriors thrown at that flank but even without my general nearby they held their ground and eventually chased off the attackers. On the left flank where the ground was more open it became a cavalry battle for dominance, with my cavalry auxilia, Roman cavalry and general fighting against their chariots. The chariots died but during that time they could get over some foot soldiers, who smashed into my horses while I was over at the other side of the battle, wiping them out. In retrospect there wasn't enough room for them to maneuver. The battle was won when the enemy, seriously depleted, withdrew. My central line had taken no casualties; my right flank heavy casualties and my horses...well, there wasn't much left. But I won, and that's the main thing.

It doesn't sound so good written down but by god, it was a sight to behold, massed ranks of elite Romans awaiting the onslaught of a good half-mile of Breton lines charging across a wide killzone.

I'm installing it right now. The question is, am I every going to be able to start my homework? I only have an hour of free time!

Narcolepsy said:
I'm installing it right now. The question is, am I every going to be able to start my homework? I only have an hour of free time!
To give you some indication, I sat at my computer for six hours straight over the weekend just playing. :|

I can't upload screenshots but I just won a battle, killed 1000 of their guys and I only lost 95. I had my calvary attack them from behind while my infantry would keep them busy.

Narcolepsy said:

I litterally didn't sleep the other night because I was playing this game. Just check some of my post times :O

SidewinderX said:
I need more family members!!!!!!!!!!!!
i have a million, im too lazy to move them from my capital into germania :(

SidewinderX said:
I need more family members!!!!!!!!!!!!

i started running out of family members too. at one point i had just two, and about 20 cities were without governers.

i had some spare cash, so all i did was look for coastal provinces that had family members in them that belonged to other factions. i'd move my navy next to the coast, and then move a diplomat in. the diplomat would bribe the family member into joining your faction, and the army he was attached to would disappear. so once you've successfully bribed him, move him onto your ships and away to safety so you don't get into any trouble with that province.

i repopulated my entire faction with just foreign family members at one point.

it's not that expensive either. depending on the influence of the diplomat, bribing a family member and dispersing the army should be around 5000 denarii a pop, depending on the size of the army and importance of the family member of course.

the only other snag, is that your new family member will have questionable loyalty as a character trait.

I am having trouble getting one of my towns out of a negative income, how should I go about raising it's income?

*gasps for air*
Well, I finally managed to click quit. I couldn't save in the prologue though - that's really annoying!
Overall, I'm really impressed. I had no idea of the sheer depth of the campaign map. It's like taking everything I like about turn based strategy, removing everything I don't like about it, and replacing it with everything I love about real-time strategy!

WOOOOOHOOOOO MONEY WELL SPEND FOR ONCE!

ANyway i started playing at around 5pm its now around 8pm but i have to go to bball practice, but damn ill be playing when i get home for sure!

I love this game so much and ive only been playing the prolouge (sp?) but im having a lil confusion on what to build next or how to make money. Any tips? Currently i can only really build light infanty and town watch guys....ill have to work at it. But i cant build more building cause i got no mula.

I cant wait to get playing again, so far ive conquered 2 cities with another one soon, but then again is only the prologue thingy...

Just build everything, stick to archers and infantry, be sure to keep the general out of the battle until you are about to win.

Dalamari said:
Just build everything, stick to archers and infantry, be sure to keep the general out of the battle until you are about to win.

Dunno about that, the general and his cavalry can be quite decisive. Also, keeping him up front with the men gets him a good reputation, and keeps their morale up.

I keep him at the same spot as the archers, then when I am about to win I have them trample over everyone to the flag.

But I guess battles aren't hard when you are charging with 900 legionares.

Anyone fought a battle yet where the enemy has entirely 1 type of troops? I sieged a city where the enemy has solely hoplite (?) spearmen. About 20 units of exactly the same type.

It was very tough considering I had much lower numbers, but they came at me 1 by 1 through the gate and most of them routed.

Has anyone ever siege a city with 4 allies? Attacking from all 4 sides? I have. :)

Well actually it was 3 allies. One had 2 armies.

I use about 10 calvary, 4 archers, 4 sword guys and 2 triarii. I send out 2 groups of 2 calvary on the left and right flanks of the enemy and bait a few of their groups to come out and then I split up my group of calvary and they will follow one, whichever they didnt follow I tell to attack and they get them from behind then I tell the group infront to attack and it traps the enemy in and the battle is over and all the enemies are dead in under 10 seconds.

My usual field army: 3 units of spears as the meatshield in front of 3 archers. Usually group a spear/archer unit so they move about together (SHIFT-4 for spears first; SHIFT-5 for archers first). Add 3 cohorts of sword swingers and 2 light (missile) cavalry and 2 heavy cavalry + the general's horsies. Add a scorpion or two if facing heffalumps (great range on them). Lose the light cavalry for lotsa heavy artillery when besieging cities though.

Kinda resembles my fav Medieval TW army strangely enough... wish I had longbowmen though. :smoking:

If you want more family members then throw your troops into a battle sans-General. If the fight goes well and you get really lucky the captain will be adopted/promoted into the family with some decent traits.

The only grumble I have with the game is the revolting plebs. The happiness rating goes below 35% IIRC and suddenly you're kicked out of the city which is now defended by a 16-unit army of troops who've appeared out of nowhere. Just where the fcuk did the rebel scum hide all those goddamn elephants when planning for the revolt? Under haystacks?

"Centurion, why are those haystacks marching into the city of their own accord?"
"The locals say it's a natural occurance here in this part of the world, sir"
"Oh well, but keep your eye out for the local rebels. We've recieved word that they might be planning something..."

Got my review up for Gameplanet: http://www.gameplanet.co.nz/mag.dyn/Reviews/2802.html

The campaign map really does remind me of Civ. The way the governors affect how your province behaves has me harking back to Master of Orion 2 also. If Civ4 were to be based on an engine that looked and played like this I'd be one very happy snark^ indeed... :rolling:

Foxtrot said:
I am having trouble getting one of my towns out of a negative income, how should I go about raising it's income?
let them revolt and then slaughter them all
keep the population down :p

Very funny snark :)

I think that revolts should automatically mean a battle between your soldiers, and peasants. Perhaps a few better troops depening on your force and what buildings you have int he city. Both armies should start in the city, your men default at the plaza but can be placed around any government and military buildings. The revels default at houses and so forth...and then you fight it out in the streets :D

But no...your men just get kicked out ;(

Farrowlesparrow said:
Try clicking on the units on the boat and left clicking the area you want to move them to.

I tried that, but who cares? I've conquered London! :D

Farrowlesparrow said:
Dunno about that, the general and his cavalry can be quite decisive. Also, keeping him up front with the men gets him a good reputation, and keeps their morale up.
I find that the bodyguards are about as tough as paper. Really ineffective once they get in the middle of a fight... you'd think they'd be better equipped since they're protecting the most important man on the battlefield :|

Axyon said:
I find that the bodyguards are about as tough as paper. Really ineffective once they get in the middle of a fight... you'd think they'd be better equipped since they're protecting the most important man on the battlefield :|

Actually I think (historically) the roman genreals rarely enter the actual combat, and the bodyguards acted mostly like meatshield to protect the general from arrows and sush.

HunterSeeker said:
Actually I think (historically) the roman genreals rarely enter the actual combat, and the bodyguards acted mostly like meatshield to protect the general from arrows and sush.
Well, makes sense. Guess they gave them bad stats so that you wouldn't enter combat at all.

This game just became a lot more intresting, after kicking the gauls into the dirt and then stomping on em some I excepteted similar recistence in the rest of europe. Boy was I wrong, the germans utterly annihilated my 2 largest armies and on top of that the spanish is attacking me from the south but those are not that much of a problem as stone walls are great defense.

Can I change the difficulty ingame? This is getting too easy?

Axyon said:

Yeah, but its just the shock value really. A cavalry charge weakens the resolve of the men and even knocks a few of them to the ground. I prefer the regular Roman Cavalry, or even mercenary units from abroad.

Varsity said:
Most online battles look like this. :/

at least you can get online :hmph:

i've tried everything and i still can't get the damn thing to work online :frown:

Back