Saddest/most depressing songs ever

Dr. Freeman

Reaction score
As the thread title suggests, what are the saddest and most depressing songs that you love and could listen to for hours on?

i'll start of with my Nine Inch Nails influence...

1. Hurt (over the years with the commercialization of this song...i dunno, it kinda, sorta lost some emphasizes for me but still...amazing song.)

2. The downward spiral (pretty depressing masterpiece :p )

3. Right where it belongs (i believe this song along with the one listed below have that feeling Hurt gives...at least for me)

4. And all that could have been (of all NiN songs, this one is the saddest (for me anyway) and i think will eventually take over Hurt's position as more people get to know listen to the song...if you haven't checked it out, you are missing out!!)

so what is the saddest most depressing song that you love?

Im a huge fan of Nike drake and Elliott Smith, but they're both masterfully depressing. Lyrics are scarily truthful and amazing though.. :) Can't say im a great NIN fan.. :(

Dancing With the Devil - Immortal Technique.

So depressing I almost threw up the first time. It's rap and I'm aware a lot of people don't like rap, but check this song out some time.

Requiem - Mozart

I'm sure most of you have heard it and know exactly what I mean.

Major fan of immortal technique <<
He's raw, im more into hip-hop however.

Nirvana - Somthing in the way

Beautiful Song

edit: theres more I could think of. But I just happend to be listening to it

Sufjan Stevens - Casimir Pulaski Day

The Arcade Fire - Crown of Love (hell, any sad Arcade Fire song, for that matter)

The Decemberists - The Engine Driver

anything by Explosions in the Sky (sad in a gorgeous, pondering sort of way)

Iron and Wine - Sodom, South Georgia

Iron and Wine - The Trapeze Swinger (one of the best songs I have ever heard)

That's all I can really think of right now...

"Jesus the Mexican Boy"-Iron and Wine
"Two Headed Boy Part II"-Neutral Milk Hotel
"Triump of our Tired Eyes"-A Silver Mt. Zion
"Sleep"-The Dandy Warhols (Song depresses the hell out of me)
"Dead Flag Blues"-Godspeed You! Black Emperor
"Bankrupt on Selling"-Modest Mouse
"Hotcha Girls"-Ugly Casanova
"Needle in the Hay"-Elliott Smith
"He was a friend of mine"-Cat Power

JNightshade said:
Sufjan Stevens - Casimir Pulaski Day
DeusExMachinia said:
"Dead Flag Blues"-Godspeed You! Black Emperor
I totally agree with these, both are very good and depressing in their own right.

Death Cab For Cutie - What Sarah Said
Death Cab For Cutie - Transatlanticism
Buck 65 - Cries A Girl
Buck 65 - The Floor
Sufjan Stevens - John Wayne Gacy Jr.

NotATool said:
Dancing With the Devil - Immortal Technique.

So depressing I almost threw up the first time. It's rap and I'm aware a lot of people don't like rap, but check this song out some time.
That song is crazy! I was blown away by that ending, do you think it really is true?

Max Payne Theme music...

Could it get any more depressing?

Dr. Freeman said:
As the thread title suggests, what are the saddest and most depressing songs that you love and could listen to for hours on?

i'll start of with my Nine Inch Nails influence...

1. Hurt (over the years with the commercialization of this song...i dunno, it kinda, sorta lost some emphasizes for me but still...amazing song.)

2. The downward spiral (pretty depressing masterpiece :p )

3. Right where it belongs (i believe this song along with the one listed below have that feeling Hurt gives...at least for me)

4. And all that could have been (of all NiN songs, this one is the saddest (for me anyway) and i think will eventually take over Hurt's position as more people get to know listen to the song...if you haven't checked it out, you are missing out!!)

so what is the saddest most depressing song that you love?

I agree with 1 and 3, haven't heard 4. Both songs are enough to send chills up anyones spine, and possibly reduce them to tears..

Sufjan Stevens - John Wayne Gacy, Jr.
Sufjan Stevens - Casmir Pulsaki Day
Johnny Cash - Hurt (NIN Cover)

Warning - listening to these tracks may result in suicidal behavior.

Vincent - Don McLean
Tell Me There's A Heaven - Chris Rea
(It's Hard) Letting You Go - Bon Jovi

-Angry Lawyer

"The Story Of A Soldier"

For anyone who has seen The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly, it's the song they play when Angel is beating Tuco up at the POW camp

Candy Shop by 50 Cent might not be sad as such, but it sure as hell makes me feel depressed.

Sprite said:
Sufjan Stevens - John Wayne Gacy, Jr.
Sufjan Stevens - Casmir Pulsaki Day
Johnny Cash - Hurt (NIN Cover)

Warning - listening to these tracks may result in suicidal behavior.

Agreed.

:D

These are just music but
Moonlight Sonata - Beethoven
Claire De Lune - Bruch

Easily the most sad music ever made.

Radiohead - Sail to the Moon

You can't beat that.

Or, Beethoven - Moonlight Sonata

Lux Aeterna by Clint Mansell off the Requiem for a Dream soundtrack.

Mayhem - 'Freezin' Moon', the old black metal classic...

Also flying the flag for BM:
Shining - 'Vemodets arkitektur' (check out that scream towards the end....argh)
Kvist - 'Stupet'
Leviathan - 'At The Door to the 10th Sublevel of Suicide'
Deathspell Omega - 'Carnal Malefactor' (lyrics don't fit much with sadness though)
and bugger it, I'll just chuck in my favourite song cos it's got everything
Axis of Advance - 'Curtailing Factors of Interference'

and a melancholic german folk band;
Empyrium - 'Dying Brokenhearted' (good stuff)

Sad and depressing are 2 different things to me in music, cos I actually find a lot of sad stuff uplifting...

Bohonkie said:
Lux Aeterna by Clint Mansell off the Requiem for a Dream soundtrack.

Funny. I think it is quite relaxant and not sad at all. Although, in the movie the mood is somehow different.

Jeff Buckley - Hallelujah

man, i have no idea why i keep listening to it...makes me so depressed ;(

OMG! I completely forgot about John Wayne Gacy Jr. by Sufjan Stevens! That song is absolutely amazing. The first time I heard it, I was feeling down, and it got to the part where he builds up in speed and intensity, and then sings "oh my god" in that great falsetto... my god, I almost broke down and cried.

pomegranate said:
Candy Shop by 50 Cent might not be sad as such, but it sure as hell makes me feel depressed.

I'd feel pretty depressed too if I suddenly began listening to 50 Cent... :(

Hello - Evanescence
Hurt - Johnny Cash
Moonlight Sonata - Beethoven

pomegranate said:

please, lets not tarnish this thread with garbage like this. :|
some great songs listed aside from that one bubble gum crap.

Ah, I found another one! "Killbot 2000" by Murder by Death is a really good sad song. In a really cool way.

Dr. Freeman said:
please, lets not tarnish this thread with garbage like this. :|
some great songs listed aside from that one bubble gum crap.

Er, wtf? I find the song depressing, that's what the guy asked for. Not my fault if other people find 'depressing' a positive quality in a song...

Kissing the Lipless, The Shins. It's not exactly a depressing song, but it makes me sad nonetheless.

Don McLean - (Stary Stary Night)Vincent
Coldplay - The Scientist (songs nice, but what its about, just great really)

Ampro said:
Im a huge fan of Nike drake and Elliott Smith, but they're both masterfully depressing. Lyrics are scarily truthful and amazing though.

When I read the thread title, the first thing that came into my minds was "Elliott Smith - Needle in the Hay".

The Town I Loved So Well - Phil Coulter

I can't imagine it gets much sadder than witnessing the town you grew up in as a child destroyed by The Troubles. Absolutely heartbreaking every single time.

Exit Music(For a Film) - Radiohead is quite sad but I don't find it depressing, just brilliant

Kamikazie said:
Jeff Buckley - Hallelujah

man, i have no idea why i keep listening to it...makes me so depressed ;(

Your standing in the list of "people I'd offer ZM to first" had increased by several notches.

-Angry Lawyer

JNightshade said:
anything by Explosions in the Sky (sad in a gorgeous, pondering sort of way)
wow very nice dude, just downloaded some of their stuff, ''a slow dance'' is quite mellow and relaxing, not really depressing...your hand in mine is really lovely, i've been looking for this song for ages, i like this type of stuff...cheers j ;)

pomegranate said:
Er, wtf? I find the song depressing, that's what the guy asked for. Not my fault if other people find 'depressing' a positive quality in a song...

i thought you choosing that bubble gum crap was a joke.
apparently not. :|

Dr. Freeman, I think you're missing the point here. He's not saying that "Candy Shop" is a sad, pretty song- he's saying it depresses him (as in it makes him unhappy). Personally, it does the same thing to me- it's that bad.

And Jimbo- yeah. I actually heard about them on this forum; someone described them as "music to go walking at night in autumn to" or something like that. I dl'd their album "The Earth is Not a Cold Dead Place" and it blew me away. Still does.

Back