Saddest/most depressing songs ever

JNightshade said:
Pretty much everything by The Album Leaf is... well, it's not depressing, but beautiful in a sad, sweeping way. Almost like a slightly electronic version of Explosions in the Sky (another incredible band).

Besides that...
Don McLean - Vincent (thanks Angry Lawyer! :D)
A TON of stuff by Interpol (dunno why, it's just sad in an odd way)
Some of the Decemberists' stuff is weirdly sad...

OH SHIT! Iron and Wine has some of the most amazing, sad songs ever. Listen to "The Trapeze Swinger" and "Sodom, South Georgia"- but pay attention to the lyrics.

Sufjan Stevens is incredible. Listen to "John Wayne Gacy, Jr.", "Chicago", and "Casimir Pulaski Day".

And that's all for now.

Explosions in the Sky! I was sad when I missed them live but they'll probably come back around here soon.

More sad songs: Godspeed You! Black Emperor - Dead Flag Blues. Just reading the words (here) by themselves is sad, and the guy that does the speaking part does it so well. Absolutely beautiful. The end of Lift Your Skinny Fists (antennas to heaven) is also sad but it's better to just listen through the whole album.

theotherguy said:
Creep by Radiohead makes me want to cry whenever I hear it.

This music video does it pretty nicely:
http://www.lowmorale.co.uk/creep/

wow...had never seen the music video even tho i love the song and heard it a million times over.
on another note, why does the character in the video remind me of Disturbed's avatar? :)

Not sure if it's been mentioned but:

Brick by Ben Folds Five really hits me in that spot.

elliot smith - needle in the hay

you will ALL thank me later!!

Raxxman said:
the acoustic version on my iron lung is just perfect.

where do i find this song? i can't find the acoustic version anywhere!!!

Angel by Sarah Mclaughlin. I don't care WHAT you think about it... it's a sad and depressing song.

Whoa, bump-aggge.

Another album I forgot to mention is Jesu's self-titled album. It's so wonderfully downbeat. Just listening to it makes me think of darkened rooms and corridors of old hospitals and stuff. The heavy, dustorted sludge of it, combined with the melodolic chord progressions and Justin's beautfiul, yet mournful voice, is amazing and it fits with the music so well. It doesn't make me sad, really, it's just the vibe the album gives off and it's really succeeded in doing so. I love it. I love Jesu. Listen to Jesu. Now.

NOW.

Ben Folds- Brick
Sufjan Stevens- Casimir Pulaski Day
Dream Theater- Through Her Eyes
Tool- Jimmy
A Perfect Circle- Three Libras
Smashing Pumpkins- Perfect
Ben Folds- Fred Jones Part 2
The Smiths- I know it's over
Clap Your Hands Say Yeah!- Details of the War
Flaming Lips- Ego Tripping at the Gates of Hell
Lou Reed- Perfect Day
Led Zeppelin- All of My Love
Led Zeppelin- Going to California
Nine Inch Nails- Something I can Never Have
Pearl Jam- Black
Radiohead- Fake Plastic Trees
Secret Machines- Alone Jealous and Stoned
Oasis- Champagne Supernova

etc etc etc etc

For those that said "Something in the way" by Nirvana, yes I agree. Thats such a damn sad song it makes me want to commit suicide just hearing it. No offense intended for Kurt Cobain.

Roxy Music - More Than This
Don Mclean - Empty Chairs
Annie Lennox - Downtown Lights
Bee Gees - I started a joke
Roy Orbison - Love Hurts
Queen - Nevermore or My Fairy King
Puff the Magic Dragon (poor puff... *sniff)
And mostly anything by Simon and Garfunkel - damn they really depress me...

where do i find this song? i can't find the acoustic version anywhere!!!

Sorry for late reply, only noticed it today.

the acoustic version is on the My iron lung EP, along with some really good stuff like Trickster.

I have always found Sarah McLachlan's "Angel" to be an incredibly depressing song.

Multiples (reprise) - Atmosphere. Its depressing because there true stories
Never Fallin' - Living Legends. Has a good message, but the story they tell is also sad.
Bastards On Parade - Dropkick Murphy's. Vindication Awaits!
Life Dance - Eligh. Proves that shit happens, wonder if its really true.
A Friend's Blues - Murs. Listened to this song after a few of my friends were lost.
No Regrets - Aesop Rock. Good Story, not too depressing, but it kinda makes youlook at life.
Tha Crossroads - Bone Thugs. Classic song
The day i turned my back on you - Bouncing Souls. Sad in a personal way for me, makes me thing wtf did i do!?!
Bad Side - CMA. Look at yourself.
Grouch's Prayer - The Grouch. Also makes you question shit
Human - Unknown Prophets. Were only human

Thats all i know for now...how emo.

The MOHFL Arnhem song is great, i have it on my iPod, you can get it here from Michael G. site:
http://www.michaelgiacchino.com/04_Resources/01_Music/mohftl/mohfl_arnhem.mp3

Alexisonfire - It Was Fear of Myself that Made Me Odd

I tend to be depressed by songs that by all means should not depress me. And this song both depresses me and scares me. I think it's the verse at the very end of the song.

I will play until the sky is black
Breathe in all the air
Exhale, and I choke the land with carbon

From where I stand, I can see the curvature of the Earth
And I want to make it flat
I will play until the sky is black
It just scares me. And for me, fear and depression go hand-in-hand. *shrugs* I'm probably the only one that sees this.

When my first girlfriend broke up with me, I listened to The Cardigans - Please Sister so many times. The beat/sound of the song just enduced my depression even more. Most songs by The Cardigans are good for that though.

And some Postal Service.

The day i turned my back on you - Bouncing Souls. Sad in a personal way for me, makes me thing wtf did i do!?!

hehe, thats a good song. anchors aweigh and "i'm from there" by the bouncing souls are pretty sad too, they always make me think they're about their first drummer that went nuts :(

[edit] off topic, but what about songs that are meant to be sad but are hilarious failures? Idea sprang to mind after listening to Iced Earth - watching over me. It should be sad but its just so rubbish :D:D:D

Pixies - 'Gouge Away' and ' Monkey goes to Heaven'
Cold Play - 'green eyes'

Alexisonfire - It Was Fear of Myself that Made Me Odd

I tend to be depressed by songs that by all means should not depress me. And this song both depresses me and scares me. I think it's the verse at the very end of the song.

It just scares me. And for me, fear and depression go hand-in-hand. *shrugs* I'm probably the only one that sees this.

i like that song before it goes all screamo, it just ruins it imo...

Mad Season - Wake Up

Alice in Chains, Pearl Jam, Screaming Trees and Walkabouts supergroup. Layne Staley on vocals.

Radiohead - How to Disappear Completely
Elliott Smith - Needle in the Hay
Cursive - Staying Alive
Thursday - How Long is the Night
NIN - Hurt

NIN - Something I Can Never Have
The Cure - Love Song
The Doors - The End

"Rettic Ac" by Autechre actually made me cry in a sober state. As has "Everything You Do Is Balloon" by Boards of Canada.

**** it. Add "Cichli" by Autechre to that as well.

4th of July - Soundgarden

Very depressing and moody :(

NIN-Hurt

How depressed was the guy who wrote this?

you'd be surprised.
i recently watched an interview with Ministry's Al Jorgensen and his words were "we thought we were depressing but man, this guy Trent Reznor takes the cake!" :LOL:

Mogwai - Travel is Dangerous

The chorus makes me sad.

Sink, sink
Drowned by our country
Old machine
Crushed and forgotten
Never surface again... ;(

Back