Saddest/most depressing songs ever

Dr. Freeman said:
i thought you choosing that bubble gum crap was a joke.
apparently not. :|

You've broken my brain....

I. Find. The. Song. DEPRESSING. No joke really, though you can take it as humour if you wish. I don't get what you're upset about.

JNightshade said:
And Jimbo- yeah. I actually heard about them on this forum; someone described them as "music to go walking at night in autumn to" or something like that. I dl'd their album "The Earth is Not a Cold Dead Place" and it blew me away. Still does.

yeah im looking at them on amazon atm, your quote sums them up prety well tbh, very nice indeed, they did the instrumentals on Friday Nights Light, havent seen that film yet but sounds pretty good...

the Buck 5 song 'cries a girl' is very good too....

this thread wins imo...:)

ps:im not depressed:p

VictimOfScience said:
The Town I Loved So Well - Phil Coulter

I can't imagine it gets much sadder than witnessing the town you grew up in as a child destroyed by The Troubles. Absolutely heartbreaking every single time.
Just downloaded it, pretty sad. Edit: Its damn true as well.

Hung My Head - Johnny Cash

Ooo totally forgot about John Wayne Gacy, Jr. aswell. Infact all of illinoise is pretty depression ridden, superb album however.

I have every Elliott Smith song ever made and when i heard Amanda Cecilia live, theres a bit where he speaks at the biggining it's crazily depressing lol :D Lines in Rose Parade like "When they clean the streets, i'll be the only shit that's left behind" and the fact that he stabbed himself in the chest at the age of 30 suggests this guy had some truly life rocking emotions.

I&W are also extremely depressing. Jeff Buckley is also one of my favorite artists of all time, he produced a hell of a lot of work and i must say Hallelujah ranks low among his depressing work...

Anyone heard the album by Ben Harper, Welcome To the Cruel World?

-Amp

Brick - Ben Fold's Five
Gycerine - Bush
Color Blind - Counting Crows
Sleep - The Dandy Warhols
Not Ready Yet - The Eels
It's a Mother****er - The Eels
Elizabeth on the Bathroom Floor - The Eels
Dead of Winter - The Eels
Everlong - Foo Fighters (probably just me)
Senior Prom In Indigo (For Ole Risom) - FortDax (again, this is probably just me)
Unspoken - Four Tet
And They All Look Broken Hearted - Four Tet
Name - Goo Goo Dolls
Nothing Else Matters - Metallica (S&M version)
Everloving - Moby
My Weakness - Moby
Heat - Kronos Quartet (from the film Heat)
Feels Like Home - No Use for a Name
Portishead (I don't have them named)
High and Dry - Radiohead
Fake Plastic Trees - Radiohead
Street Spirit (Fade Out) - Radiohead (yes, those are all on the same album!)
Wild Horses - The Rolling Stones
Maps - Yeah Yeah Yeahs

JNightshade said:
And Jimbo- yeah. I actually heard about them on this forum; someone described them as "music to go walking at night in autumn to" or something like that. I dl'd their album "The Earth is Not a Cold Dead Place" and it blew me away. Still does.

Hah, that was me. They are a brilliant band to go walking with on your MP3/MiniDisc/CD, really, really, calming and... I don't know, just good. In either summer, when the nights are long and all that jazz, or autumn, you should try it. Excellent.

But yes, EITS are amazing.

"Marvin I Love You"
by Marvin, the Paranoid Android < A very, very sad song

@Angry Lawyer ; I finally downloaded and listened to "Vincent" and I can't stop crying.

ZOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMJ.

Strange how a song about Vincent van Gogh, who died over a hundred years ago, can summon so much emotion.

-Angry Lawyer

Oh noes I forgot to mention Adagio for organ and strings by Albinoni.

That's pretty damn sad music it is, can't belive I forgot it.

humate - love stimulation (blank and jones remix)
more of a personal/nostalgic thing though.. most people probably wouldnt find it sad/depressing

Right Where It Belongs v.2 - I like this one over the US WT release.
Pilgramage - For some reason I find this sad.

Almost all songs from Pink Floyd - The Wall. Especially Comfortably Numb...

pink floyd - When the tigers broke free
The beatles - yesterday
the doors - the end
jim croce - time in a bottle
Harry Chapin - Cats In The Cradle
no doubt - dont speak
Cat Stevens - Wild World
Pearl jam - Nothing As It Seems
Nirvana - Something In The Way
Simon and Garfunkel - The Boxer
Most Alice in Chains songs
The Verve - The Drugs don't Work
Neil Young - My My, Hey Hey
Aerosmith - dream on
Queen - Show must go on
Rolling stones - Angie
Travis - Side
The Who - Behind Blue Eyes

There's many more, but i can't be bothered thinking of them at the moment to be honest...

A song with lyrics is not as depressing as a song without, for example this song!

Samuel Barber - Adagio For Strings, Op. 11 (This is the platoon theme, the one that keeps repeating over and over during the course of it)

In my opinion, that's the saddest song ever. Some others...

Nirvana - Something in the Way
Nirvana - Dumb (I guess on MTV Unplugged in New York it seems sad)
Arnhem - Medal of Honour Frontline (Very...very sad)

(Also...is everyone listening to "Something in the Way" because of Jarhead :D)

Street Spirit (Fade Out) by Radiohead is probably my favorite depressing song by the band. In fact I'm going to say that it is my current favorite depressing song that I listen to frequently.

Another song that I used to listen to a lot back in the day was Adam's Song by Blink 182. It's not as depressing as the one by Radiohead, because even though Adam's Song was about being alone and contemplating suicide, I didn't really get depressed listening to it (so I guess it doesn't qualify :p ). Limp Bizkit's Rearranged (their only well-written song) falls in the same category too.

Darksabre said:
Arnhem - Medal of Honour Frontline (Very...very sad)
omg so true, cant believe someone remembered that, that was an awesome piece of music, sometimes i would just load that level to hear it....

also Spiegel Im Spiegel by Arvo Part, such a sad but beautiful piece considered by many to be the most beautiful piece of music ever, it was used in the BBC's recent holocaust documentary or was it just about auschwitz(sp?), cant remember, really sends shivers down your spine

Yeah, the Arnhem level was pretty sad in itself I thought, the music just really added to. Man I completly forgot about that level, it was one of my faves.

Darksabre said:
Samuel Barber - Adagio For Strings, Op. 11 (This is the platoon theme, the one that keeps repeating over and over during the course of it)

I was re-watching Platoon the other day (wanted to watch the 'dance/''Ain't never seen brains like that before!''' scene in the village again) and I was wondering what that music was called. Its brilliant, I love it. I'm going to go look for it now I know what its called, thanks.

Ah man, Sail to the Moon is suuuch a good song. I'd forgotten how amazing it is.

Oh, come on people.

Gary Jules - Mad World

Anyone? AWESOME remake.

"The dreams in which I'm dying... are the best I've ever had..."

Top Secret said:
Oh, come on people.

Gary Jules - Mad World

Anyone? AWESOME remake.

"The dreams in which I'm dying... are the best I've ever had..."
Didn't I post that? And I wouldn't call it sad, just mellow.

I don't really consider most tracks sad unless they really, really affect me in that way.

radiohead - pyramid song
radiohead - like spinning plates
radiohead - sit down stand up
radiohead - knives out
Slipknot - the nameless
slipknot - vermilion pt 2
royksopp - what else is there
push - strange world (ambient mix)
bad loop - her wings of wax
samuel barber - adagio for strings (try the choral Homeworld remake)
craig armstrong - weather storm

there isn't that much sad music that's good to be honest. classical music usually has the best sad moments.

Also I have to add more songs to the list

NIN - right where it belongs
NIN - hurt
NIN - the day the world went away
pearl jam - black
fear factory - zero signal

will add more to the list probably later

This song is sad, but it is the best song I have ever heard in my life and I will never hear something like it again..ever. Ghost love score by Nightwish..really sad, but at the same time really awesome.

Brak - I'm A Cucumber
Please don't take me to the pickle farm. :(

Angry Lawyer said:
Your standing in the list of "people I'd offer ZM to first" had increased by several notches.

-Angry Lawyer

I own Grace, Live at Sin-e and Sketches for my Sweetheart the Drunk. My favorite of his is "Lover, you should've come over" from Grace and "Satisfied Mind" from Sketches. I love Jeff Buckley's music. (PS, Live at Sin-e is an absoloutely fantastic record, probably better than Grace, in my opinion).

Where do I stand now? :D

Pulse said:
Max Payne Theme music...

Could it get any more depressing?

Uh yeah.... that's a song from a video game.

Philadelphia by Neil Young is pretty sad. So is Semi-Charmed Life by Third Eye Blind, and The Grace by Neverending White Lights.

Just a random list of some stuff I've managed to just randomly pull off my playlist.

Bent - As You Fall
Chris Issak - Wicked Game
Genesis - Misunderstanding
Genesis - Thats All
Kidneythieves - Serene Dream
Lacuna Coil - The Ghost Woman and The Hunter
Lacuna Coil - Stars
Lacuna Coil - Falling Again (Although first Falling of the EP was also good.)
Nightwish - Walking In The Air
Oasis - Gas Panic (Probably my fault. I was listening to this while reading "Day Of The Triffids" and now the song brings up images of a dead London. Much like the ones described in the book.)
POD - Youth Of The Nation
Pearl Jam - Of The Girl
Qntal III - Owî, Tristan
Queen Adreena - Pretty Polly
tresk - Impack Of Silence (All of Trash80 and tresk's music is free for download, just do a google)
The Police - Walking On The Moon
The Verve - Lucky Man
R.E.M - The One I Love

-EDIT- Also, the Last Post is pretty frikkin sad......

I would say the Mad World remake, but alas, has already been said.

DeusExMachinia said:
I find the original version of Mad World just as sad. Tears for Fears ftw.

Yeah, it sounds kinda upbeat but at the same time really sad. But I almost cried when the remake came on at the end of Donnie Darko. And that song after the remake at the end, the sent an awful shiver up my spine.

Hmm, thought i posted in this, apparently not :/

Athlete - Wires
Damien Rice - Volcano
Damien Rice - The Blower's Daughter
Death Cab for Cutie - Transatlanticism
Death Cab for Cutie - I Will Follow You into the Dark
Keane - On a Day Like Today
Nine Inch Nails - Hurt
Radiohead - Where I End and You Begin. (The Sky is Falling in.)
Radiohead - Exit Music (For a Film)
Radiohead - Let Down
Radiohead - How to Disappear Completely
Radiohead - Street Spirit
Travis - Luv
Travis - In The Church

Septih said:
Hmm, thought i posted in this, apparently not :/

Athlete - Wires
Damien Rice - Volcano
Damien Rice - The Blower's Daughter
QFT...

Iron and Wine- Such Great Heights...(song in new Ask.com ad btw)

Glo-Boy said:
Uh yeah.... that's a song from a video game.

Philadelphia by Neil Young is pretty sad. So is Semi-Charmed Life by Third Eye Blind, and The Grace by Neverending White Lights.
If someone put Moonlight Sonata in a video game it would no longer be a sad song, it would magically lose all it's emotion... MAGICALLY!

Back