Scotland vs France

Reaction score
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/internationals/6986781.stm

Scotland secured an incredible Euro 2008 double over France courtesy of a James McFadden strike in Paris.

The French threw everything at the Scots in the Group B qualifier in the Parc des Princes but could not find a way past goalkeeper Craig Gordon.

:bounce:

If you're not a fan of soccer, France are one of the best teams in the entire world. That "guy who headbutted the other guy" in the World Cup final was playing for France vs Italy, although he's retired.

We just went defensive and France eventually ran out of ideas. Our defence will happily header balls clear if they get crossed in all day.

We're now top of Group B where only the top 2 teams qualify for the World Cup. Both the World Cup finalists are in our group - France and Italy. It's been called the "group of death". Scotland are not expected to qualify for Euro 2008. Here's the tables.

This is the 2nd time we've beaten France against the odds in our group. Here's the goal from the first time:
[youtube]X6f--n_tdz0[/youtube]

Here's the goal we scored today! :bounce:
[youtube]G3JXzy_sjDA[/youtube]

Great stuff :)

*sticks tongue out at France*

I'm still hungover, but I'm ****ing loving it. What a time last night, it was unheard of, even 11 months ago when we beat them at home.

McFadden's goal (although lifting an entire nation) was more keeper error than anything, but it was still a sensational strike.

Aye my mum is scottish and couldn't even bare to look at the scores, i said I would and tell her so she stole my remote, then the commentators said it anyway while i was watching the england game, she was gob smacked lol.

Well played scotland, definately deserve to through to the finals. Hhahaha france, what a bunch of shitbags.

France don't appear to doing too good in the Rugby either, there just pish poor :)

Well done Scotland, I think Northern Ireland's chances are over after losing to Iceland.

It's unreasonable that the UK has four different football teams.

In other news, Sweden has had a bit of a bad season (we lost, for example, to Norther Ireland). We're still in the lead of our group, though.

In other news, Sweden has har a bit of a bad season (we lost, for example, to Norther Ireland). We're still in the lead of our group, though.

Try suggesting that there should be a uk team to each country, I doubt you'll survive :p

In other news, Sweden has had a bit of a bad season (we lost, for example, to Norther Ireland). We're still in the lead of our group, though.

Northern Ireland aren't carp anymore, David Healy has the highest number of goals scored so far in the euro 2008 qualifiers, we also beat Spain.

thats great for scotland, i look at scotland though and their quality of players is very similar to ours yet we ****ing blow atm, i think we need a decent manager for once.

All four nations wish to have their own teams.

It's probably fair because you'd most likely get a disproportionate number of English in the UK team, which wouldn't make the Scots very happy.

All four nations wish to have their own teams.

It's probably fair because you'd most likely get a disproportionate number of English in the UK team, which wouldn't make the Scots very happy.
Do you seriously think Rooney would get in ahead of Kenny Miller? You must be a mental.

But seriously, I do think English players are overrated.

Do you seriously think Rooney would get in ahead of Kenny Miller? You must be a mental.

But seriously, I do think English players are overrated.

I never mentioned Rooney or Miller.

And I am perfectly cognitively sound.

Yeah!

oh.. Yeah!

And a UK team wouldn't happen, if anything it would be a GB team. That would end up being Englands team + Robbie Keane + Gordan. Actually that wouldn't be a bad idea... ;)

I don't think an all UK football team will ever happen, I don't want it to happen anyway. I'd like to see an all Ireland football team but that isn't very likely either.

No it would be England's team, plus Ryan Giggs, Robbie Keane, Barry Fergusson, David Healy and Gordon, the rest will be english. Thats why there is no merge in the teams.

Yeah, Giggs is too old, and has retired.

Keane is gold,

Fergusson is a long long way behind Gerrard, Hargreaves, Barry, Lampard and Carrick for that central midfield position.

And Healy although he scores a lot for NI, as a Leeds fan I have to tell you he's rubbish and would never of gotten picked for a GB side.

'Sides Healy is not as good as Keane and as Keane is the small man in the big man small man partnership, Healy wouldn't have a snowballs chance in hell.

Trust me, I love Scotland, I am Scottish, but I realize that with the exception of the keeper we really don't have any superstars that are making waves at club or international level.

Scott Brown would have a place in a U.K squad. Barry Ferguson is quite simply put - gash.

That's about it. We have average players, but at least they're showing that they're willing to work for it. Many of our decent players are just getting too old (Miller, Hartley, Elvis).

Ronaldo, Luis Figo and James McFadden are standing before God at the
throne of Heaven.

God looks at them and says; "before granting you a place at my side, I
must first ask you what you believe in."

Addressing Ronaldo first he asks, "what do you believe?"

Ronaldo looks God in the eye and states passionately,

"I believe Football to be the food of life. Nothing else brings such unbridled joy to so many people from the slums of Rio to the bright lights of Madrid. I have devoted my life to bring such joy to people who stood on the terraces supporting their club."

God looks up and offers Ronaldo the seat to his left.

He then turns to Luis Figo, "and you, Luis, what do you believe?"

Figo stands tall and proud, "I believe courage, honour and passion are
the fundamentals to life and I've spent my whole playing career
providing a living embodiment of these traits."

God, moved by the passion of the speech offers Figo the seat to his right.

Finally, he turns to Faddy "and you, James, what do you believe?"

"I believe" says Faddy "you're sitting in my seat."

:LOL: :p

It's the privilege we claim for inventing the damned sport.

This result cheered me up no end. And I don't even follow football!

The UK is a union of 4 countries, not a country. Scotland and N.Ireland have seperate laws from England and Wales.
Well...sort of. Scotland, Wales and N. Ireland are not true countries in the political sense but devolved territories (now there's some potentially offensive terminology).

This means they have their own legislative power - and, in Scotland, financial power - but no sovereignty. The ultimate 'right to rule' is retained in London, and power is therefore channelled, or granted, rather than given as under federalism. TIn theory, the power that has been devolved can be taken back at any time according to the will of the London Parliament - illustrated vividly in 2000 when the newly form NI Assembly was suspended.

Technically, London could revoke all of Scotland's devolved power as they retain sovereignty - but I'd like to see them try it.

Types of devolution operating in the UK:

ADMINISTRATIVE - the power and responsibility to manage and organise public services, eg health, education, social. Fairly basic. Possessed by Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland.

FINANCIAL - allows a devolved government to raise its own revenue through taxation - very important to any kind of change in government as all costs money. Only Scotland to my knowledge has this power, and it is very limited - 3% up or down.

LEGISLATIVE - the power to make laws, though not unlimited/ Some lawmaking is always reserved to Parliament in London, like constituytional stuff and drug enforcement. Legislative devolution has been granted to Scottish and Northern Irish assemblies only.

Under Queen Elizabeth II, the current head of state, the United Kingdom - England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland - remains, politically, a single country. For now.

Although QE2 is head of state of Australia and Canada, and they aren't united with us as a single state.

Yet!
ssh.gif

Wikipedia said:
It is not a term of art and has no defined legal meaning; 'constituent' is simply an adjective, and the phrase has no clear meaning outside a context from which the entity or grouping of which the countries in question are constituents or components can be understood.
This is why I specified countries in the political sense of the word.

I mean, it's not quite the same relationship as sweden, denmark and norway. Those are seperate sovereign nation-states...

...but maybe it's all very confused and I don't quite know what I'm talking about? Up to you.

Screw you geographic politics! We beat the French!

I'm sure the Basque could start their own football team if they wanted.
And if it was economically viable.

Legally technicalities aside the home nations are countries enough to have their own football teams.

Back