SDK soon yay!

lol, when I saw this topic I was thinking of someone else also emailed valve about the sdk release date.

That guy from Valve did replied within a couple of hours and that on new years day :)

Rick Ellis is good for replying to emails, usually does to mine in 20 minutes or so after sending (if we're both online at same time that is due to timezones)

I got two from him on newyears eve and one on boxing day so hes obviously checking a lot :)

jheaddon said:
Rick Ellis is good for replying to emails, usually does to mine in 20 minutes or so after sending (if we're both online at same time that is due to timezones)

I got two from him on newyears eve and one on boxing day so hes obviously checking a lot :)

Did he say anything interesting?

/me points to the Valve Info Thread.

(Sorry, I just want all the information I can get my hands on)

What good is the SDK if we don't get Hammer? Or is that included?

Hmmm i was modding some on HL1 but now i would just be happy when its ready!

Death over the hacker´s . . .

Alec_85 said:
What good is the SDK if we don't get Hammer? Or is that included?

Hammer (former worldcraft) is included so is a 3d program included (forgot the name) to make models etc. Gabe mentioned some months ago it will have a 'testing room' so you can test some mods even without the hl2 or physics engine.

Well i was modding a bit on HL1 . .
I would just be happy when HL2 is released Death over the hacker´s

The SDK is supposed to be released in two phases.
1-Hammer and XSI
2-Code

Thanks. I suppose you won't have to code that much if you make some HL2 single-player maps without any additions beyond new maps put together?! I'm trying to do that for a schoolproject (HL1 though).

Valve can try and tickle my balls with this release of the SDK, but my soldier won't be in full salute till the damn game comes out.

ray_MAN said:
What is this worth if we can't test it/play it?

Modders can mod easier with the tools that are provided in the SDK.

Didn't Valve say the SDK won't come out before the game? Than maybe that means the game is coming soon. Just speculation, but it is reasonable speculation.

ray_MAN said:
Didn't Valve say the SDK won't come out before the game? Than maybe that means the game is coming soon. Just speculation, but it is reasonable speculation.
I already said that! ;) lol, but yeah, that's my take on it.. here's to hoping we're right :cheers:

ray_MAN said:

Well you can look at it the other way.

Maybe they don't see a release anytime soon and see that people are getting annoyed. So releasing this SDK will put a little hush on the crowd and take our minds off the game.

All I know is that this means nothing for me since I won't be playing or making any mods. But I am sure it is good news to most of you.

They said they would release the SDK before hl2 is released.

Feath, exellent.

And i jsut got a response from rick (posted in valve info thread). It's new year's day too.

sorry Sidewinder, but your post made no sense to me, made my eyes cross. Or maybe I am just retarded today.

you should ask how long after the SDK is released will HL2 be released or maybe give an estimation by months or weeks.

I'm just wondering what the definition of "soon" is in this context.

If we're going to take the literal meaning of the word "soon" we can wonder over to dictionary.com and get a meaning

Soon
In the near future; shortly.
Without hesitation; promptly: came as soon as possible.
Before the usual or appointed time; early.

With that definition in mind, most people would think that the SDK will be released in 1-2 weeks. But we know this is Valve and their actual definition of "soon" is vastly different to the english meaning of "soon".

This is well founded cynicism by the way.

Shhh, lets keep this a community secret. That means dont mail PHL!

SOMEBODY PLZ FILL ME IN ON THE HAVOK SUIT???

did that really happen sry for caps spree but im curious

No one, except VALVe/Havok knows. The only reason people are jumping to conclusions is that Rick Ellis mentioned "legal troubles," which could be any number of things (most plausible would be that SoftImage/XSI deal Jmech mentioned)

Yeah, don't get mad at Havok for something which probably hasn't happened. The legal issue could've been anything, really.

At least they have an excuse for why it wasn't released in August or whenever.

Havok is a little bit too "carefull" with their code.

Everyone who tryed to mod for max payne 2 know how they really restricted the use of the code(you cannot even touch the code, you can just put values to objects). So, seeying that half life 2 needs to be VERY modable from the start to the end of the code, they may be a little bit too "scared".. "oh my god they are going to know how we make bodies fly!!"

*sorry about the horrible english*

btw what can u do with the sdk?If u dont mod

I know this is kinda off-topic, but I am feeling real bad for Valve. People have critisized 'em for not making good anticheats for CS, critisized them about Steam (coz of the numerous bugs and the anticheat system thats not much better than the previous one).

They were putting their efforts into making a cool, robust engine (with one assumes good cheat protection), the Source. Everything's going alright (except the ineviable delay) and then the source code gets leaked :|. Back to square one, cheat developers are making cheats right now. All the years of work down the drain. Just imagine if hl2 has as many cheat programs as, say, CS does now when it finally ships, just coz of that damn leak :mad:. Why do people even create cheats, thaa laaamas :flame:. Make a MOD dammit, not a cheat.

The hunters pic fixed:

Attachments

• valve.png
    valve.png
    5.3 KB · Views: 397
Illusion said:
Havok is a little bit too "carefull" with their code.

Everyone who tryed to mod for max payne 2 know how they really restricted the use of the code(you cannot even touch the code, you can just put values to objects). So, seeying that half life 2 needs to be VERY modable from the start to the end of the code, they may be a little bit too "scared".. "oh my god they are going to know how we make bodies fly!!"

*sorry about the horrible english*

Havok 2 engine is alot more then just bodies flying. its what allows the Source to have such a interactive world. if Valve went along building their own Physics engine the game would take longer to make maybe a year or more and it wouldn't be as good. Havok 2 allows you to make any object physical even the Wind in this case. without Havok 2 HL2 would easily rank alot lower then Doom 3. but then again you sound like a chilish moron who knows nothing about topics he discusses.oh yeah and anyone whose crying at Havok if they did take lega action, remember dont its their hard work that got leaked as well not just valves and it was valves fault.

Pitbul said:
Havok 2 engine is alot more then just bodies flying. its what allows the Source to have such a interactive world. if Valve went along building their own Physics engine the game would take longer to make maybe a year or more and it wouldn't be as good. Havok 2 allows you to make any object physical even the Wind in this case. without Havok 2 HL2 would easily rank alot lower then Doom 3. but then again you sound like a chilish moron who knows nothing about topics he discusses.oh yeah and anyone whose crying at Havok if they did take lega action, remember dont its their hard work that got leaked as well not just valves and it was valves fault.

Hey, don't be so agressive.

What Illusion was saying was that Havok may have not allowed Valve to release the SDK because they are protective of their code, nothing to do with the Source leak. He wasn't bad mouthing Havok and he wasn't referring to the leak.

OMGF this is going to be awesome!!!! W000T x10000.0000000

Back