shepherd in the 7 hour war?

I liked it alot. the antis hate him because people talk about him so much, as darkside pointed out for all of your convenience at the start of the thread, why didnt you read it?

...but people don't talk about him anymore than they do Gordon. At least they don't hamper Shephard with retarded discussions conerning his helmet, flashlight, and whether or not he has to eat, drink, or sleep.

For the record...

If you played Opposing Force without having played Half-Life you'd have no clue who the hell Freeman was. In Opposing Force you're never told to kill Gordon, nor any other Black Mesa personnel.

If you played Opposing Force without having played Half-Life you'd have no clue who the hell Freeman was. In Opposing Force you're never told to kill Gordon, nor any other Black Mesa personnel.

Well wasnt a halflife installation required to install opfor? Atleast that it says on my opfor cd.

Personally I liiiiked opfor and especially its weapons. Both alien and military and the last i really missed in halflife2. I just like having a good machinegun and real sniperrifle when battling aliens and oppressive regimes.

Using the argument that opfor had closure is a little invalid. You can say that halflife had closure (nihilanth died you saved the earth and survived -> closure / happy ending) and you can say blue shift had closure (barney escapes and survives -> closure / happy ending).

Personally I hope to play adrian again and imo ending the hl saga (may it live long and prosper :) ) with a kick ass revival of the coop genre with adrian and gordon saving the world in the end...

no they r some retarded idiots who hates him because hes a marine ..
and they think adrian is an @$$hole for lots of crappy reasons..........

i dont no how u guys view op4....it was a ok game with ok plots thatas how i view op4

Adrian Shepherd: Enemy Boat spotted!!!!

Well wasnt a halflife installation required to install opfor? Atleast that it says on my opfor cd.

Personally I liiiiked opfor and especially its weapons. Both alien and military and the last i really missed in halflife2. I just like having a good machinegun and real sniperrifle when battling aliens and oppressive regimes.

Using the argument that opfor had closure is a little invalid. You can say that halflife had closure (nihilanth died you saved the earth and survived -> closure / happy ending) and you can say blue shift had closure (barney escapes and survives -> closure / happy ending).

Personally I hope to play adrian again and imo ending the hl saga (may it live long and prosper :) ) with a kick ass revival of the coop genre with adrian and gordon saving the world in the end...

If that ever happens, I will physically throw up in utter anger! Keep shepard in statsis or dead where he belongs! Plus the Half-Life saga will always go on as long as computer games exist, they will just keep coming up with new stories and scenerios etc, because if they ended it people would demand for it to come back anyway so...

Well offcourse there isnt even a world to save as such after the portals storms, 7 hours war and now a rebellion.

Besides keeping shoving out hl episodes for years on end would make me physically throw up in anger. Everything episodic turns to crap and then fossilized crap if given enough time.

Sometimes enough is enough and halflife should go into stasis or end up dead where it belongs (hopefully before episode 176).

I liked Opposing Force but i don't know why almost everyone dislike Shephard.
Is a alternative fate fosr shepard-for anti shephards:
"Adrian Shephard just woke up from stasis and he see the Combine and he had a nervous breakdown and you find him in HL4-in a hospital for those with mental problem."
For Pro-Shephards:
"HE'LL BE BACK!!!!!"
And just for the record i'm neiter :p

...but people don't talk about him anymore than they do Gordon. At least they don't hamper Shephard with retarded discussions conerning his helmet, flashlight, and whether or not he has to eat, drink, or sleep.
Oh, to have missed all the Shephard talk that brought out the anti-Shephardites. Believe me, discussions about whether Gordon has a helmet or not pale in comparison to some of the "discussions" we've had about Adrian Shephard. It was terrible, you cannot even imagine.

In any case, as said, I don't hate Shephard for Shephard. I dislike Shephard because of fanboys. But here, let's take Shephard fans out of the picture. Assuming that there WERE none, how would I feel about Shephard's reappearance in a game? I would still not like it.

Shephard's story is over. It concluded magnificently. I always fail to see how people could want to see Shephard in another adventure when Opposing Force ended so well, and with such finality. What possible ending would you rather have for Shephard? Why see him go through City 17 or the Seven Hours War? Must Shephard's stasis mirror Freeman's? I will remind you all that Shephard is NOT an agent of the G-man; he was saved purely by G-man's...compassion...and not for hope of any future use! He is locked away, and that is where he should remain.

bf2 was a great game..and its differnt from hl2

im not saying that adrian shephard should return ...im not arguing bout that..im hating the ppl who hates shephard for no good reasons not the ppl against shephard returning

There's no finality in limbo.

If G-Man has compassion, then certainly he'd know that death in Black Mesa would have been better than an eternity stranded on an osprey. Does that sound like a reward or perk of any kind?
Shephard always struck me as something unplanned. A curious and powerful anomaly the G-Man discovered while "grooming" Gordon Freeman. Because I sincerely doubt G-Man has locked him up for the purpose of compassion, I can only think that he has been held onto because the G-Man knows he could be of future service. Shephard's proven himself a capable individual. It would be be downright stupid to not utilize such potential.

I used "reward" sarcastically "compassion" loosely. The G-man could have easily allowed Shephard to die, but some moral compunction (or perhaps, just as he said, the fact that they shared a familiarity) kept him from doing so. You see the dilemna the G-man is faced with: he has someone who he does not wish to see dead, and yet who is useless to him for the time being and the foreseeable future. He can allow him to die, but he doesn't want that. He can NOT allow him to go free, lest he blab about what he's seen. He has no position to offer him, since Gordon has filled that role. Thus the only thing the G-man can do with him is preserve him, preserve him for an indefinite amount of time for no definite reason at all. And in my opinion, that's a damn good way to end it. You might argue that it's not closure, but I think it is.

Must a story end with the character's life being documented up until the very end? Does an ending only count when it's a happy one? Shephard has been dealt a bad hand, but that's precisely what makes the ending so good: he will NEVER be used again (or he wouldn't have, if Valve hadn't caved). He would have been doomed to live out his life aboard that osprey. That's a powerful ending. To be spared death, only to be contained forever, where you can do no harm and no harm can be done to you. That is EPIC. Why can't anyone see that? It's beautiful. You're saved by this guy because you remind him of himself, so in essence killing you would be nullifying your accomplishments (and in a way, his), so he keeps you alive but never to do more, never further, your accomplishments having ended there, like a memory preserved. Friggin' epic, man.

Also, I don't Shephard wasn't the anomaly. More likely, it was Freeman. The G-man looked at Adrian first. When Gordon surpassed all expectations, showing "limitless potential," the G-man chose him instead of Adrian. Thus, Adrian was obsolete. There was no need for two, so Gordon was picked as the agent and Adrian got the Adrian Shephard.

I fail to see how one games ending of time to choose is different than another games time to choose ending.

One ends in stasis the other is detained? One gives more closure than the other?

I have no problem with adrian shephard dying and an opfor line of story dying but he didnt die and the story line didnt end no more than the original halflifes did.

In my humble oppinion.

One train of thought btw. Adrian shephard was not needed to be detained any longer than it took for the g-man to finish playing his role as a "US. government man" and for BM to be revealed by others.

like i said they hate him cuz of no reasons

STFU. Just STFU. Stop raping the english language, and learn the facts. We hate him because

1) The weapons completely contradict everything Half-Life built upon. The SAW: In HL1 we never saw any marines using the SAW, yet suddenly they are.
The Displacer, in the Lambda complex are huge teleporters, that take several minutes to power up. With the pull of a trigger *fwosh* Shepards on Xen. Barnacle gun...all I can say is WTF!?

2) There was absouloutly no need for Race X. They just didn't need to be there. 'Nuff said.

3) G-Man. He intervenes, somehting he doesn't do in HL/HL2 at all (save at the endings.)

4)There is no reason for the Black Ops too attack you.

5) The levels didn't feel very Half-Lifey IMO.

6) He had his ending, a fitting ending, now let him go.

Now if you don't mind, I'm gonna head to the shelter before Absinthe comes and use everything I just said against me. He does that. :(

STFU. Just STFU. Stop raping the english language, and learn the facts. We hate him because

1) The weapons completely contradict everything Half-Life built upon. The SAW: In HL1 we never saw any marines using the SAW, yet suddenly they are.
The Displacer, in the Lambda complex are huge teleporters, that take several minutes to power up. With the pull of a trigger *fwosh* Shepards on Xen. Barnacle gun...all I can say is WTF!?

2) There was absouloutly no need for Race X. They just didn't need to be there. 'Nuff said.

3) G-Man. He intervenes, somehting he doesn't do in HL/HL2 at all (save at the endings.)

Now if you don't mind, I'm gonna head to the shelter before Absinthe comes and use everything I just said against me. He does that. :(

Because the arguments arent finite in any way and the question in itself is subjective...

1. The weapons. Its marines. They use m249s and rifles. Besides They were fun ?

The displacer -> built in another lab complex (Black mesa was split up into sections to keep high security). Just like the gauss cannon werent made in the anomalouse materials lab. And barney didnt teleport to work in the morning.

Barnacle gun? Well imo more entertaining than the physgun in hl2. :)

2. Race X complicates the story. Thats good.

3. G-man was bettin on adrian before the incident, but gordon saved the day sooo. Thy shall not try to guess on g(od)-mans intentions.

4. You (adrian) are partly gone rogue to the mission of silencing BM personel.

5. They were different but still overlapping the with halflifes. Imo that was a good thing and also imo nothing stood out as none BMish.

6. An ending would have been that he died.

Gordon saved the world (hl1 perspective) and went on to parts unknown. Thats imo even more ENDING than opfors. It didn't warrant a sequel... But we got one???

Blue shift? Barney survives and drives into the sun set. Now thats an ending. No need for barney in hl2 which shouldnt happen because gordon got "closure".

Bullshit word btw. atleast in this sence...

You are entitled to not like the guns, levels and even the fact that the guy is a marine.

But then just utter you oppinion instead of claiming it to be facts...

One subjective view isn't any more fact than the next subjective view. :S

Wrong, Marine's(USMC) don't use the FN minimi M-249 "SAW" 5.56mm LMG's.....they use the FN Mag M-240 7.62mm machine gun. Dice made that mistake in BF2 where they gave the USMC side M-249 SAW's.

Anyways for some where around the future....instead of Shepherd, we should have play as Gregory or Dr. Breen????

If we play as Gregory we play as a mad russian monk who is the last human surivior of Ravenholm,

Or

Play as Dr. Breen, you play as a Dictator of City-17 who barks orders & such....

A breen game would make me cry. Tears. Followed by mucus. "Qucik Doctor Breen! Write a convincing arguement for the combine's right to rule earth and present it in a soothing tone!" Or the ever so popular. " Doctor Breen stand infront of a screen and gab for hours!"

Because the arguments arent finite in any way and the question in itself is subjective...

The displacer -> built in another lab complex (Black mesa was split up into sections to keep high security). Just like the gauss cannon werent made in the anomalouse materials lab. And barney didnt teleport to work in the morning.
S

Why did they wait with using it until after Freeman had come and gone and all the scientists (their primary targets) were either gone or dead.
Teleporter gun:
That's not an argument. Why did the Lambda labs take all this time to build this huuuuuuuuuuuuge expensive, very ineffective teleporter when another department next door had pretty much made a version that did the same thing, weighed a million times less, a million times more cost effective, less power consuming, was quicker, was safer, and why, oh WHY hasn't Doc Kleiner and Eli taken some of that tech to use? THEY've had twenty years to perfect this "prototype" but they've only made a Lambda version about half the size of the original. Barnacle gun was just dull and dumb. No further explanation required there.

Barnacle gun? Well imo more entertaining than the physgun in hl2. :)

You don't get it do you? The barnacle gun is the biggest contradiction of them all, because it goes against Marc Laidlaws description. According to the HL1 offcial guide, Barnacles would die upon removal, and besides, how does shepard hold it? There isn't a butt he can rape on the barnacle.

Barnacle gun? Well imo more entertaining than the physgun in hl2.

WHAT??????Besides the barnacle gun,as Atomic_Piggy said about it is a contradiction,the Gravity gun is the #1 gun of all times.
And i don't find it more entertaining like the grav gun.Period

Wrong, Marine's(USMC) don't use the FN minimi M-249 "SAW" 5.56mm LMG's.....they use the FN Mag M-240 7.62mm machine gun. Dice made that mistake in BF2 where they gave the USMC side M-249 SAW's.

Anyways for some where around the future....instead of Shepherd, we should have play as Gregory or Dr. Breen????

If we play as Gregory we play as a mad russian monk who is the last human surivior of Ravenholm,

Or

Play as Dr. Breen, you play as a Dictator of City-17 who barks orders & such....

not so fond of the dr breen game, but if you think about it there could easily be a half life RTS. 3 races, combine, xenians and humans. of course it would be hard to give combine and humans as much variety of units as the xenians, though..

also, on the SAW issue. I know people love to be story-sticklers, but remember ITS A GAME. they can't get absolutely everything right down to the tiniest little detail of real life use. they didnt have people go to the military and ask what kind of weapons they were using as standard issue at the time. cant get everything right down to how it would be in real life or they'd need shitloads of people out there doing field research in secret facilities, military bases, boot camps etc..

as for the barnacle thing, marc laidlaw said they would die upon removal, but marc laidlaw also said "believe what you play, not what you read". plus, theres the scientist hologram saying they managed to remove the barnacle from its "suction spot". they didnt say it was alive! shepherd could just be holding it, madybe thres a special gland on the barnacle that makes the tongue shoot out, (remember live barnacles tongues dont shoot out like that) and as soon as the tongue attaches its body or something requires that it pulls it closer.

race X was a mystery. the numerous mystries in half life are what makes it so interesting. G-man, for example, the mother of all mysteries. no one has actually come up with a good counterargument to why he isnt gordon from the future yet, though people have tried, for example.

1.he cant be gordon from the future cos he gave you the choice and could have got you killed at the end of hl1.
ah but heres the thing, hl2 operates on the basis that gordon took gmans offer and worked for him. G-man also talks about the "illusion of free choice".
2. he cant be gordon because he talks! gordon doesnt talk!
ah yes, but barney doesnt talk when you play as him in blue shift, yet he talks all the time every other time you see him.

the only good reason I can think that the gman wouldnt be gordon from the future is that loads of people think he is gordon from the future and if valve made it so that he was gordon then there would be no surprise.

Gordon is not ****ing G-Man. I must request that you STFU before you proceed further.

The ban stick will be utilized for anyone endorsing this theory.

1a) SAW - Maybe not enough marines had it for Gordon to encounter it (BTW is it in Blue Shift?)
1b) Displacer - Undirectional teleport (remember the scientist who teleported into mid air with one), Prototype. The real question is whats with the place you teleport to - its self contained and just happens to have a teleport 'orb' that takes you back to about where you left?
Just as an aside I was playing around with the displacer once at the window when G-Man is rearming the nuke, went to Xen then teleported back right next to the G-Man - close enough to poke him.
1c) Barnacle 'Gun' - crazy scientists, what will they think of next :).

2) Its a big universe, Vortigaunts, Combine, Nihilanth, why not one more?

3) In HL2 he talks to Cubbage.

4) Baffles me too - unless they are covering up the covering uppers, but that doesn't sound right.

5&6) ...

I'll add

7) Gonomes - not seen in HL or HL2.

The ban stick will be utilized for anyone endorsing this theory.
* Wonders if its worth testing this.
* Decides against it.

cuz its gearboxz crapy game..and gearbox suxass--says anti shephard
the weaponz in op4 just sux dont ask y --says anti shephard

because im a moron .. i just hate shephard for no reasons!!

I was reading back through the thread when I found this. My apologies, but this guy needs sorting out.

cuz its gearboxz crapy game..and gearbox suxass--says anti shephard

Find me a quote were any one of us said that. With those exact words. Parts of Op4 were fun, but it didn't feel like Half-Life.

the weaponz in op4 just sux dont ask y --says anti shephard

Once again, find me a quote were any one of us said that. With those exact words. We (or at least I) never said the weapons sucked. I said they were contradictinary, but suck? I enjoyed these weapons!

because im a moron .. i just hate shephard for no reasons!!

How ironic you would use the word moron on someone else. *shakes head with pity*
Now I've exlpained the reasons, please, feel free to leave and never return, you spaz (no offence or anything). And use proper language, this isn't a chat room.

Piggy you'll need to reduce font size on your sig.

Gotcha :D

1a) SAW - Maybe not enough marines had it for Gordon to encounter it (BTW is it in Blue Shift?)

Gordon encoutered more marines than Shepard! And no it isn't.

1b) Displacer - Undirectional teleport (remember the scientist who teleported into mid air with one), Prototype. The real question is whats with the place you teleport to - its self contained and just happens to have a teleport 'orb' that takes you back to about where you left?
Just as an aside I was playing around with the displacer once at the window when G-Man is rearming the nuke, went to Xen then teleported back right next to the G-Man - close enough to poke him.

Lol I just tryed this. Its funny, but he's still invcinble. ;(

1c) Barnacle 'Gun' - crazy scientists, what will they think of next :).

A Displacer.

2) Its a big universe, Vortigaunts, Combine, Nihilanth, why not one more?

Because they're rip-offs of the Xenian dudes and WTF is "Race-X" about?

3) In HL2 he talks to Cubbage.

But in Op4 it is pysical. He pushes bottuns! :O

4) Baffles me too - unless they are covering up the covering uppers, but that doesn't sound right.

Exactly.

:p

I'll add

7) Gonomes - not seen in HL or HL2.

Gonomes were a good edition, showed us what "the next stage of mutation looks like".

* Wonders if its worth testing this.
* Decides against it.
Good choice me thinks :p

whenever, or where ever shephard reterns, (if he does) he should most definatly die a horrific death. also, if he was in the seven hour war he dident do much for earths salvation did he? that bastard... so selfish.

whenever, or where ever shephard reterns, (if he does) he should most definatly die a horrific death. also, if he was in the seven hour war he dident do much for earths salvation did he? that bastard... so selfish.

:LOL: :LOL:

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
Im going to sig it.

Because they're rip-offs of the Xenian dudes and WTF is "Race-X" about?

I liked Race-X mostly for that Alien Shocktropper(or something like this) and his weapon.But most of them were as you said.... rip-offs.

wow wow wow, calm down, chill the beans, cool the beef etc, I didnt say I believed the theory, as stated in the post (valve wont use it cos too many people believe it)I just said there hasnt been a good coutnerargument for it yet. hardly worthy of a ban, IMO.

There have been many good counter-arguments for that theory. So many
that the regulars are a bit tired of trying to rehash the issue.

As a non-fanboy Shephard fan (oxymoron much?), I would like
to see a return of the character; but even I realize there is
no chance he would be brought back for the 7 hour war.
Why? Because the G-Man went to specific lengths to make sure that
Shephard would be unable to involve himself with activities on
Earth after the task he was set to in Black Mesa
was complete. Lengths that even from Gearboxes point of
view preclude Adrian being involved in any events that happened
after the Black Mesa incident.

If you want speculation in that direction, Barney would be a better
choice to play out the 7 hours war. In a similar vein to Blue Shift,
we would know the outcome in advance, but not exactly how all the
events fell into place from a specific characters point of view.

If Valve wanted to iron out some of the discrepancies within Op4
(it could be done with some creative thinking) then there is a possibility
of bringing the character of Shephard back in some other scenario as
an agent of G-Man's employers. But (as I see it) it would most likely
involve placing him as the main character in an almost completely
unrelated story set on some other world (or dimension) than Earth.

That might be workable as Valve does seem to have interest in
expanding the Half Life universe beyond Earth. And no, I don't
think that is Shephard in Portal either.

its not, I heard somewhere or another. you play as a completely new character or something among those lines.. would be interesting though if Gman dropped you off at his employers "offices" while he went off to lavish attention on Gordy..
aperture sciences could be his employers :D so incredibly unlikely that it's funny though.

its not, I heard somewhere or another. you play as a completely new character or something among those lines.. would be interesting though if Gman dropped you off at his employers "offices" while he went off to lavish attention on Gordy..
aperture sciences could be his employers :D so incredibly unlikely that it's funny though.

I doubt he has employers. But yes, it is funny to think of such things.

well, gman ended adrain shepherd cause he was the only true danger to his favorite "tool" (gordon feeman) the end.

Back