sHm0zY's Valve Tour & Play test!

DecayingMadness said:
shmozy i was wondering how do u get to go to valve? do u just call them and they will set up a tour time for u?
you have to ask them if you can and they will if they can

Question for shmozy! :D

Did you get to climb a ladder at some point, when you played the first level? If so, could you still see Gordon's hands or did they disappear?

In the E3 vids you see his hands when he climbs the ladders. This is bad. Same thing in Doom 3.

Why bad? Because they don't move (grab the ladder). Plus, how can Gordon climb a ladder if he's holding a weapon and you can see that. If they don't want to do an animation of Gordon's hands grabbing the ladder, they should just have Gordon lower his hands while he climbs.

Sorry, but this is just something that bugs me. Most FPS games have your character's hands showing while climbing ladders holding a weapon, and they don't move. Completely ruins the suspension of disbelief.

redrain85 said:
Question for shmozy! :D

Did you get to climb a ladder at some point, when you played the first level? If so, could you still see Gordon's hands or did they disappear?

In the E3 vids you see his hands when he climbs the ladders. This is bad. Same thing in Doom 3.

Why bad? Because they don't move (grab the ladder). Plus, how can Gordon climb a ladder if he's holding a weapon and you can see that. If they don't want to do an animation of Gordon's hands grabbing the ladder, they should just have Gordon lower his hands while he climbs.

Sorry, but this is just something that bugs me. Most FPS games have your character's hands showing while climbing ladders holding a weapon, and they don't move. Completely ruins the suspension of disbelief.
I only climbed a latter with no gun

sHm0zY said:
I only climbed a latter with no gun
Darn. :( Not even with the crowbar?

I hope this gets fixed in the final game. Seeing Gordon hold the magnum while climbing a ladder in the E3 vid just didn't look right, at all.

redrain85 said:
Darn. :( Not even with the crowbar?

I hope this gets fixed in the final game. Seeing Gordon hold the magnum while climbing a ladder in the E3 vid just didn't look right, at all.
yeah i didnt have any wepons when i played the game

Wow look at all the views for this thread in such a short time lol

there is so much anticipation for this game (way more than doom3 IMO)

This is nothing that needs to be fixed because it's not a problem. What the developers want to do is have the game be played just like the first one and so by changing this minor detail, the game will feel less like Half-Life and more like rainbow six.

By the way thanks a lot on the great description of your visit. I will be anticipating this game even more.

Babka said:
This is nothing that needs to be fixed because it's not a problem. What the developers want to do is have the game be played just like the first one and so by changing this minor detail, the game will feel less like Half-Life and more like rainbow six.

By the way thanks a lot on the great description of your visit. I will be anticipating this game even more.

i concur

Babka said:
How will changing this make it feel less like the original Half-Life? Like you said, it's a minor detail. If anything, it will add realism. Which I thought was the whole point of Half-Life. You don't hold a weapon in front of you while you climb a ladder.

Whatever . . . you have your opinion, and I have mine.

Well you are right about how changing it would make it more realistic, but personally i would just leave it like it is. When I get Half-Life 2 i know I won't be crying about how you can see him holding a weapon while he is climbing a ladder or how you can't see his arms when he's holding objects in front of him.

I remember someone saying (i think it was Gabe) that they played around with different effects such as when Gordon falls from certain heights, it will take him a while to get back up, but as they said it was too weird and it didn't fit. So when I play Half-Life 2, I just hope that the Half-Life gameplay is still there. Besides, I would like to shoot something while I'm on the ladder. And you can also wait for the mods which can make everything realistic to your hearts desire. :D

Fallout said:
Do they only allow 14 year olds visit Valve nowadays? Seems like everyone who has gone on a tour has been in Junior High and can barely speak English. Might be a decision on Valve's part to ensure an overwhelmingly positive review as it'd be much easier to overwhelm and impress a kid than it would an adult. I know nearly all of the Valve Visit recounts have included a lot of "It was that thing with the thing" kind of descriptions that show a lack of understanding for game development or the technology behind it.

I wasn't under the impression that you had to have an "understanding for game development or the technology behind it" to visit valve and report about your visit.

Maybe you should take your superior knowledge of the game industry (after shoving it up your ass) and visit valve. Then you can post your own report of your visit.

Don't be such a prick.

BTW: Nice job sHmOzY :thumbs:

Combine ordered you to pick up trash? Didn't play with weapons? I think I've discovered HL2 storyline! Gordon Freedman is... The Garbage Man!

But excellent job, Schmozy. Don't pawn the shirts on eBay. :p

Yes, you have done a very good job answering questions.
Thank you for the information.

I think it would be nice of valve to include peoples names that visit them in the credits in the end.

Octavian said:
Combine ordered you to pick up trash? Didn't play with weapons? I think I've discovered HL2 storyline! Gordon Freedman is... The Garbage Man!

But excellent job, Schmozy. Don't pawn the shirts on eBay. :p
HAHAHA gordebn freemans a garbage man! lololol

I wont man its my favourite shrt!

i got a t-shirt of ebay with gordon on the back and it has the symbol on the front but its gray not orange like ur symbol :(

DecayingMadness said:
i got a t-shirt of ebay with gordon on the back and it has the symbol on the front but its gray not orange like ur symbol :(
daym man i love my shirt =D

OY, congradulations on your trip to valves office sHm0zY. :thumbs: Sorry if this hasn't been asked yet (theres 26 threads already!) and I'm assuming you don't have the exact answer, but how soon is soon enough for the game's release? You think you can give us your own ranged estimate on how many weeks or if possible days until the release? Don't mean to be annoying by asking this. I appreciate it!

i've read all this topic and, i want to ask from shmozy, that was there like lots of blood-like doom3, or less, and one thing too, did the killed monsters bodys faded away or they like stayed there all the time when you killed them, tnx

Gunslinger said:
OY, congradulations on your trip to valves office sHm0zY. :thumbs: Sorry if this hasn't been asked yet (theres 26 threads already!) and I'm assuming you don't have the exact answer, but how soon is soon enough for the game's release? You think you can give us your own ranged estimate on how many weeks or if possible days until the release? Don't mean to be annoying by asking this. I appreciate it!
I Don't really know..If i had to guss id say sept 30 or mid october
nigga said:
i've read all this topic and, i want to ask from shmozy, that was there like lots of blood-like doom3, or less, and one thing too, did the killed monsters bodys faded away or they like stayed there all the time when you killed them, tnx
From what I played doom 3 had more blood. and the combine did not fade away when you killed them.

ok tnx for the information, in doom3 the bodies like turn to dust like buffy, you know, i'm glad that in HL2 they won't

i think that the fading away of monsters in Doom3 was done not just for looks but because the engine/cpu couldn't handle many identies, from what i have heard, in the last level where monsters constantly spwan, if you use a hack to have the bodies not dissipair then monsters will stop spwaning.

Daiceman9 said:
i think that the fading away of monsters in Doom3 was done not just for looks but because the engine/cpu couldn't handle many identies, from what i have heard, in the last level where monsters constantly spwan, if you use a hack to have the bodies not dissipair then monsters will stop spwaning.
Yeah thats what i thought

Wow, finally. All 26 pages :)
Congrats on your visit to Valve shmozy!
I know this is an older thread but I have 2 questions.

1.Did you play the apartment level? Like where you go through some apartment and theres combine kocking on doors and people getting worried, than someone invites you in to room. If you did, could you go past the hall or up the stairs? What was up there? (spoilers)

1. Did play anywhere besides the regular City 17 places? (like Ravenholm or trap town or whatever)
Thanks.

Petabyte said:
Wow, finally. All 26 pages :)
Congrats on your visit to Valve shmozy!
I know this is an older thread but I have 2 questions.

1.Did you play the apartment level? Like where you go through some apartment and theres combine kocking on doors and people getting worried, than someone invites you in to room. If you did, could you go past the hall or up the stairs? What was up there? (spoilers)

1. Did play anywhere besides the regular City 17 places? (like Ravenholm or trap town or whatever)
Thanks.

You went up the stairs and onto the roof, as in the hdr demo

No, I did not get to go anywhere elce

Oh yeah, one more question( I can't believe they actually let you play!!)

Did you get to try out the manipulator gun? How was it?

Actually two more if you don't mind. Did you see anything new as in stuff valve hasn't shown us yet?

sHm0zY said:
So we started playing from the begin of the game the intro to the game is bad ass you probly already have seen it just the G man saying its been allong time mr freeman and all this other stuff. I got out of the train.. the combine are jerks. I stand there and if i don't get out of the way they push me. so I picked up a box and threw it at them.. then they chased me and beat me with there stick thing that shocks me, I walked around and this combine knocked some pop can off a table and he was like PICK IT UP so I did..... AND THREW IT AT HIS FACE!!!! and then he chanced me forever beating me =( The game is soo fun! You guys will love it. even just walking around throwing things and looking at things! we played for about half an hour. I dotn wanna tell you anything about it here, because i don't want to spoil anything..I cant wait for this game! Then the marc told us that thats all we can play because he didn't want to spoil anything when we got to play it at home.
MY RATEIGN FOR THIS GAME SOO FAR 10000000324325321200/10

:eek: woah!

Back