Simulatenous release is bizarre

Would you buy HL2 through steam if it came out a month before it hit the shelves?

• Yes

Votes: 142 61.7%
  • No

Votes: 88 38.3%

• Total voters
If steam releases (or unlocks rather) Half-life 2 at midnite of the release day, wouldn't that mean that Australasia would get it first?! Western Europe would get it 5 hours before the States.

Sounds fair to me! =D

No. Everyone would get it at the same point in history, just the time that the clocks around the world are displaying when this happens would be different.

/me lives in New Zealand

OK, if it was a MONTH, then yes...but I hope not because I get the boxed for free :(

I voted yes mainly because i am very very impatient when i know something is coming out or is out and i want it.

Driv3r is released in 10 days ~ in UK and man am i getting impatient already and still ages to go :flame:

I HONESTLY would never buy it trough steam, even if i had to wait a year, i'm still pissed off at steam because my cd key doesn't work, and i liked WON way better...

Very tough question...

I would have no choice but to buy it from steam.

There is no way I could wait a month while my friends are having the time of their life.

Although as a hardcore fan I would want the box.
Are you able to get your money back and sell the steam version? If so, I would keep my saves and stuff and sell the game, and buy the box. (When it's out)

I don't think you can 'sell' the steam version.

Basically, when you register your CD key, you are paying for the ability to download HL2 and whatever else they let you D/L through steam with a HL2 CD key. So, i think if you were to go out and buy a hard copy of HL2, you could come home, D/L HL2, then just throw away the CD's you bought and use the CD key to activate HL2.

Then i'm pretty sure your CD key is locked into steam forever, i don't know if you can take that CD key out of service and sell it to somebody else so they can register it under there name or something, but i doubt they will let you do that.

So registering your CD key in a steam account=investing 50 bucks into a steam account. Then forever and ever later you can go back, access steam through your account, and still be able to d/l hl2 again.

At least, that's how i interpreted how it's going to work...

Lets end this!

Steam is good
Steam is Great
Bless this Steam we have Today

Thats correct moe, once a CD key has been tied into an account the only way you can remove it from said account is if you actually mail (ye olde way) the original copy of whatever it is that the CD key is printed on to VALVe. It will then remove it from its account its on now and then put it on whatever account you specified it to be on.

That means even if somebody goes into a store just to steal the CD key information out of the box it won't do them any good in the long run...as long as they put the original printed CD key back in the box once its written down anybody can easily mail it to VALVe to get it removed from the illegitimate users account.

Why doesn't valve just get a publishing lisence and sell it them selves?

I would get it through Steam if it came a month before it arrived in stores. But I really hope that's not how it will be. :(

I take it you tuned out early?

Nope, we won all three matches of the test series. That's called a whitewash.

If you still didn't figure it out, I'm talking about the cricket.

Personally I would not get it via Steam because:

a) I lack the internet connection
b) credit facilities
c) not rich enough to buy a game by merity of hype and its predecessor

I won't even buy the game from the shelf until I am convinced the game is not just hype, even though HL 1 was great. Great predecessor =/= great sequel 100% of the time...in fact it seems more often than not the sequel is a let down, despite the screenshots and video's.

No, I'll wait till I have seen/read some previews, heard some player feedback and see if a mate buys it and check it out on his machine first before laying down ZAR 400 +.

ASnogarD said:
No, I'll wait till I have seen/read some previews, heard some player feedback and see if a mate buys it and check it out on his machine first before laying down ZAR 400 +.
You're posting on a whole site full of them...

RoguePsi said:
If steam releases (or unlocks rather) Half-life 2 at midnite of the release day, wouldn't that mean that Australasia would get it first?! Western Europe would get it 5 hours before the States.

Sounds fair to me! =D

Its funny you mension Australasia, cuz i live in that part of the world, New Zealand In Fact, we would bet Austrailia by 2 hours :cheers:

WE WOULD GET IT FIRST IN STORES TOO :burp:

iamaelephant said:
w00t :p

Go the All Blacks!!

Hope you Brits enjoyed the weekend's game :)

funny that lol, 3 games won. NEW ZEALAND FOREVER

Apos said:
I'm a little skeptical of the people who voted no. You would really wait a MONTH to get the game while the rest of us are playing it and enjoying it?

broadband is NOT universally available despite the attitude of the smug 'don't talk crap, I'VE got it' bunch. Dialup is just not good enough (or reliable enough) for downloading large files. Connections drop and a lot of dialups have 2 hour timeouts anyway, so a lot of people have no choice but to wait until it hits the shelves. Even though I have broadband, I voted no for this reason because I remember how frustrating 56k really is and the growing denial of it's presence by marketing execs and fanboys alike.

I downloaded all my steam games on a 56k connection, about a day a game (not constantly downloading btw, just downloading a bit every now and then). In total it took half a week for about 1.2 Gigs.

How big is HL2 going to be I wonder?

Crusader said:
I downloaded all my steam games on a 56k connection, about a day a game (not constantly downloading btw, just downloading a bit every now and then). In total it took half a week for about 1.2 Gigs.

How big is HL2 going to be I wonder?
Well the Leak was 3gb big, so i'd expect the real game to be around 4-5gigs maybe?

4-5 gigs... That's just insane... Well I won't be playing Half-Life 2 then, I don't have that kind of Hard-Drive :p

Plus don't they realise nobody is going to download 5 gigs of content if they can go the shop and buy it? :/

Crusader said:
4-5 gigs... That's just insane... Well I won't be playing Half-Life 2 then, I don't have that kind of Hard-Drive :p

Plus don't they realise nobody is going to download 5 gigs of content if they can go the shop and buy it? :/

Um...hmmm...time to uninstall some games :( But maybe by that time I'll have my 74GB Raptor drive. :D

chimpmunk said:
Well the Leak was 3gb big, so i'd expect the real game to be around 4-5gigs maybe?

yea, but that obviously didn't come in cd form the actual game will probaly be smaller than everyone expects it to be, b/c you don't have to dl the whole cd like you did if you got the leak from suprnova, or irc

I have deep issues regarding Steam best addressed by trained professionals with valium on hand. I will not use it.

I think i'd buy it on Steam if they would at least provide a hard copy of the cd. Steam's a real pain if you want to format your computer or start fresh again cause you have to download way to much all over again.

ACLeroK212 said:
I think i'd buy it on Steam if they would at least provide a hard copy of the cd. Steam's a real pain if you want to format your computer or start fresh again cause you have to download way to much all over again.
Just copy all your .gcf files onto a CD for backups. No fuss, no muss!

to answer the poll question: i would get the game through Steam on its release...but when it were available as a boxed version in stores, i'd purchase it and cancel my Steam subscription :)

Dr. Freeman said:
to answer the poll question: i would get the game through Steam on its release...but when it were available as a boxed version in stores, i'd purchase it and cancel my Steam subscription :)

that sounds like more hassle than it's worth

I would rather wait for box version, because then I can remember my purchase of that game unlike everyone else that will just have a cache file.

ACLeroK212 said:
that sounds like more hassle than it's worth

why does it sound like a hassle?

/me shrugs

i guess it all depends on how big a fan one is of the HL series.. surely someone like me wouldn't want to wait 1 minute more than required...

Dr. Freeman said:
why does it sound like a hassle?

/me shrugs

i guess it all depends on how big a fan one is of the HL series.. surely someone like me wouldn't want to wait 1 minute more than required...

valve isn't even sure if they're going to do that $10/month subscription yet right?

and if so why spend 10 bucks on an account just to get a game that 1) your going to buy retail anyways and 2) is going to be released simultaneously on steam and the stores?

ACLeroK212 said:
valve isn't even sure if they're going to do that $10/month subscription yet right?

and if so why spend 10 bucks on an account just to get a game that 1) your going to buy retail anyways and 2) is going to be released simultaneously on steam and the stores?

uh.. did u read the poll question at the beginning of this thread?

plus, like i said.. it depends on where on ur scale of gaming, HL2 fits.. if its at the top.. u will do whatever to get the game ASAP (assuming u have the cash).. if its further down ur gaming scale.. then perhaps u wait for the boxed version.

last thing: read the poll question before questioning/answering posts :p

2) is going to be released simultaneously on steam and the stores?

Uhhh.. the whole thread is about what you would do if you could get it a month earlier through steam.

I'm just praying the collectors edition is released alongside the standard box set.
I need all the extra crap!

-Angry Lawyer

I'll buy it at the store. I don't understand people who want to buy it on Steam AND at the store... ?!

ive already decided that im going to be buying hl2 on steam since im not one of those guys who absolutely must have the box...

Angry Lawyer said:
I'm just praying the collectors edition is released alongside the standard box set.
I need all the extra crap!

-Angry Lawyer

i am hoping for the same thing!

Back