Sniper + Spy Update Released!

Hectic Glenn

Site Director
Staff member
Reaction score
[br]Steam will automatically begin downloading this large update to Team Fortress 2 now. A highly anticipated update, that includes many new features including:
  • New game mode - Payload Race (with new map Pipeline)
  • Two new official arena maps: Nucleus and Sawmill (with new weather conditions)
  • 35 new achievements for the Sniper Class
  • 34 new achievements for the Spy Class
  • The Huntsman, Razorback and Jarate new weapon unlocks for the Sniper
  • The Dead ringer, Cloak & Dagger and The Ambassador new weapon unlocks for the Spy
Remember Team Fortress 2 is now available for a free weekend (starting now), so anyone can play this update (preload here), and if you wish to purchase after, TF2 is available at half price. Let us know your thoughts on how these new additions play!

Some really interesting other changes in this:

1. Added new watch replacement, the Dead Ringer. When armed, you will appear in all ways to die to the first damage you take from an enemy. You'll be cloaked for 8 second after taking this damage. Upon de-cloaking you'll make a loud, distinct sound
2. Flamethrower's air burst now extinguishes fire on friendly targets
3. Spies that disguise as a player using an unlockable now show that unlockable in hand (muahaha!)
4. Grenades and rockets deflected by a pyro under the effects of Kritzkrieg will now be criticals
5. The Heavy and Sniper now have new custom death animations
6. Added a new taunt for the Kritzkrieg, which also heals for 10 points

Also note: The jarate and razorback BOTH replace the SMG, not the kukri! The spy watches also replace the watch, and both can't be used simultaneously!

The Spy & Sniper update page is not even properly loading, probably because of the traffic. But the update is, 76%.

This is ridiculous, I've been optimistic this whole time, and this just sucks. The Ambassador could be a decent alternative, but I highly doubt it's going to do anything but subtract depth from the class. I'm fairly certain Valve said they were going to be implementing a new system for unlocking weapons (they atleast said they were trying to) and they clearly have not. No third weapon replacement for Spy is bullshit. Sniper system is retarded, the only combination that makes the jar the least bit useful is Jar + SMG, dividing between a super anti spy Sniper and a general close defense Sniper.

This is ridiculous, I've been optimistic this whole time, and this just sucks. The Ambassador could be a decent alternative, but I highly doubt it's going to do anything but subtract depth from the class. I'm fairly certain Valve said they were going to be implementing a new system for unlocking weapons (they atleast said they were trying to) and they clearly have not. No third weapon replacement for Spy is bullshit. Sniper system is retarded, the only combination that makes the jar the least bit useful is Jar + SMG, dividing between a super anti spy Sniper and a general close defense Sniper.

You have all of it already? Is there a new way to acquire these or something? They just give it to you?

Damn wont let me update cuz of stupid busy servers... So does anyone know what the deal with the hats are did they make it into this update??

*grumble grumble*

Well the implications about the effects on gameplay are mostly assumed, but I think they're fairly safe assumptions.

I haven't even downloaded it you blasphemers.

Then shut up.

splash-chop what the hell is the problem.

Then stop whining until you see how it works!

Valve's servers can't handle shit as usual. You'd think that they would have upgraded them by now.

sooo.... who wants to cum with me in server to earn achievements.

Here's the patch notes.

Maps

Added new map, Pipeline. Pipeline is the first map in a new game mode named payload race, which uses two carts in each map instead of only one like traditional payload maps

Added new arena map Sawmill

Added new arena map Nucleus

Added new community payload map Hoodoo

Sniper Changes

Added new sniper rifle replacement, The Huntsman. Instead of a sniper rifle, you have a bow that allows you to move around faster while firing, and fire more quickly than the sniper rifle. Works better at medium range than the standard rifle

Added new SMG replacement, Jarate. If thrown on an enemy they will take more damage for short period of time. Also extinguishes flames on yourself or allies

Added new SMG replacement, The Razorback. Will protect you against a single spy backstab, and stun the spy for a short period of time. Comes with a 15% move speed penalty for the wearer

Standard sniper rifle now shoots through friendly players

Added 54 new Sniper voice lines

Added 35 new Sniper achievements

Spy

Added new revolver replacement, The Ambassador. First shot is very accurate and will cause a critical hit if it hits an enemy's head. Accuracy is poor for a period after that

Added new watch replacement, the Dead Ringer. When armed, you will appear in all ways to die to the first damage you take from an enemy. You'll be cloaked for 8 second after taking this damage. Upon de-cloaking you'll make a loud, distinct sound

Added new watch replacement, the Cloak and Dagger. Your cloak meter is only depleted when you move, so you can stay invisible indefinitely if you're standing still

Spy name tags now show up properly when disguised as their own team

Fixed a bug that would cause spectators to see disguise weapons incorrectly

Fixed a bug where enemy spies disguised as friendly spies would have cigarettes that didn't burn

Fixed a bug where overhealing disguised spies would show the wrong overhealing amount to the medic

Made it more obvious on first person view model when your motion cloak is out of juice and you are partially visible

Also made it more obvious on first person view model when you're bumped while cloaked

Improved the way your disguise weapon is determined to make it clearer and fix a couple of rare issues

Spies disguised as enemy spies now get a random mask to help complete the disguise, and their target id will be set appropriately

Spies disguised as medics now have an Ubercharge: line in their disguise target info

Spies outward facing "disguise health" now matches their disguise target when they first apply the disguise

Spies can now pick up health kits for their "disguise health", even when uninjured

Disguise UI doesn't show up in minimum UI mode (hud_minmode)

Spies that disguise as a player using an unlockable now show that unlockable in hand

Spies can now use enemy teleporters

Added 70 new Spy voice lines

Added 34 new Spy achievements

Scoreboard changes

Dominations no longer get wiped when teams switch sides

Dead players draw slightly darker in scoreboard

Converted class labels to class icons

All players now display the total number of people they are dominating

General

Fixed a bug that would cause the scout's ball to regenerate at inappropriate times

Demomen can now detonate their stickies while taunting

Flamethrower's air burst now extinguishes fire on friendly targets

Grenades and rockets deflected by a pyro under the effects of Kritzkrieg will now be criticals

The Heavy and Sniper now have new custom death animations

Fixed payload HUD not updating properly if you join in the middle of a match and the cart isn't moving

Engineer's dispensers now give 20%, 30%, or 40% of player's max_ammo (for each ammo type) on each use, based on the level of the dispenser

Added -sillygibs commandline parameter which will allow the non-violent gibs to be enabled

Added a new taunt for the Kritzkrieg, which also heals for 10 points

Improved the deathcam camera handling used when a player plays a custom death animation

Valve's servers can't handle shit as usual. You'd think that they would have upgraded them by now.

My guess is they have a "queue" system so they don't overload their servers and NO ONE gets an update. Keep trying mine finally updated :cheers:

They seem fine to me. Downloading as fast as my connection can go at the moment.

Don't forget just how many people are going to play TF2 now though. Free weekend and one of the biggest ever updates? Yeah, that's not going to affect anything...

To all ya other naysayers: Chrissakes, give it a while. Valve do do playtesting, you know.

Bolded the most awesome ones.

Spies can use enemy teleporters!? I did not see that one first time. AWEOMSEEEEEEOMSME

Finally spies can use enemy teleporters I have wanted this for a while now!

So, the Machete didn't get a replacement? Hmm, we might still get a boomerang after all.

Getting an error when trying to run:

errora.png

I've verified the game files, no luck :(

If you're getting a really slow download speed, try restarting Steam to connect to a different download server. Before I restarted I was getting about 20kb/sec, now it's 300kb/sec.

Guys don't rush.

I tried connecting to a plr_pipeline game, it crashed TF2.

Seems to be some missing files for goldrush too.

Friends is up and down every 2 minutes, and so achievements aren't working either (or any unlocks)

The new scoreboard looks really cool though (icons for each class). Don't bother rushing till these issues are sorted out.

New maps are pretty damn fun, really liking plr_pipline. Seems there are no milestones so dunno how the unlocking is going to work, the loadout menu isn't working on any servers due to Steam being down. So far so good but I'm looking forward to the unlocks :)

Check the update news again, 1st line under general. You find old and new items as you play.
Bye bye achievement servers!

Uhmm.. why does the sniper have a crosshair when not zoomed in? Seems to make the whole "zooming in" and "sniping" thing a bit useless since using the crosshair to aim is as accurate as zooming in. Movement doesn't seem to affect accuracy either, so.. overpowered?

Report from the front; Pipeline is fun as hell.

Finally got max speed, hopefully it doesn't crap out before finishing.

Back