Sniper + Spy Update Released!

FYI, there is a bug with the Spy's kill taunt. It can be triggered whilst cloaked. I did it to an engineer surrounded by about half his team who was simply stood still momentarily before I taunt killed. Funny as hell. :D

EDIT: I also saw an enemy Spy appear from a tele exit, telefragging the poor engineer sitting on top. :O

Tell me, man, do they use the pyro in clan games in your universe? Do they use the heavy?!

lol :)

Pyros are the lowest of the low. Very rarely used. Occasionally for pushing with an uber if you need speed or to keep the other side confused with a quick change. Heavies are used.

Looks like if you join a server and stay in spectator mode you are more likely to get a drop than while playing. I got the Dead Ringer by trying this.

I used an enemy teleporter today, came out the engineer disregarded me :D backstabbed him and sapped all his stuff. Use it while people don't know!

S[ies shouldn't be able to use enemy teleporters, thats one step too far TBH.

But Valve have made more then one mistake with this update, I wouldn't be surprised with some nerfs down the road.

If you're trying to get something, you wont get it. Just play and ignore unlocks, and they'll come to you.

The blog has been updated. Apparently the system works according the time you play. The longer you play, the more likely you'll find an item.

As for duplicate items, VALVe is planning an update between now and the next class pack that will allow players to trade items with each other, including the class helmets (which are meant to be rare finds).

So the whole system works according to how long you play total. The more often you play, the more often you'll receive items, and eventually you'll be able to trade with other players to acquire the ones you don't have but want.

EDIT: They also mention implementing a system that will let us work toward specific items.

EDIT 2: Also the blog got another page for the update, which shows the Demoman, Spy, and Engineer with their new helmets.

I can't say enough how much this new unlocking sucks ass.

And the blog post basically says that they forced an incomplete system on us. Shit stuff.

Totally random "finding" seems a bit weird. Surely it should happen when the player does something specific. Say, if the player caps a point/intel he gets the chance to find a weapon. Or when the player picks up an enemy's weapon or something. Not just walking over the train tracks and suddenly getting a backburner.

Yay, we're getting an auction house. Expect to see a micro transactions system too.
Nicely done Valve.

Hey guys I heard the sky is falling, that's true right? Because the slope is looking really slippery so soon Valve are going to charge us for all updates already released omg?

Raziaar had a ****ing brilliant idea of unlocks on a points basis, where normal kills/winning/etc were worth points, and achievements were worth a certain number of points. Every time you reached a certain number of points you would unlock a random weapon.

That seemed the ****ing way to do it.

Raziaar had a ****ing brilliant idea of unlocks on a points basis, where normal kills/winning/etc were worth points, and achievements were worth a certain number of points. Every time you reached a certain number of points you would unlock a random weapon.

I suggested a similar thing on the steam forums. I don't understand why they couldn't have just implement something as reasonable as the XP system in Call of Duty.

The easiest way to get them for now is too idle in spec mode.

Do this...

Just start up your server.

Open the console and type: sv_lan 0

Type: sv_password PASSWORDGOESHERE

Type: sv_pure 1

Type: changelevel ctf_2fort
(or another map if you choose)

Now open your console back up and look for this message.

Got pure server whitelist: sv_pure = 1.
Connection to Steam servers successful.
VAC secure mode is activated.

If it doesn't pop up, it's either your router is blocking it or
you are still in LAN mode.

And that's how you check to see if your VAC is enabled.

Once you have done that go in spectator mode and you'll eventually get a drop.

New changelog up

Team Fortress 2

Fixed Ambassador not using hitboxes to trace against players. It now works like all other bullet-firing weapons in the game

Fixed Ambassador shooting through gates

Fixed Ambassador not critting during the round win period

Fixed control point not being named correctly on Arena Sawmill

Fixed cloaked Spies being able to taunt attack

Fixed Spy feign death not being reflected in scoreboard

Fixed Jarate effect on DX8 machines

Fixed rare crash in Spy "A Cut Above" achievement

Fixed the backpack icon appearing over the "Could not connect to Steam" message in the client inventory

Fixed German localization string for respawning players showing %1

However, it's broken all my servers now. Enforcing consistency in water particle what

/EDIT Son of a monkey they fixed the spy taunt attack

:arms:

I've said it before: CoD unlock system plx.

An unlock requires (for example) 500 points, getting an achievement is worth 50 points and every point scored in the game translates into an unlock point.

DO IT VALVE.

Please.

Invisible Knife Taunt kill as i mentioned earlier
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCft82RV5SM

I don't think that this is a bug any more since there is a kill icon for it.
(Knife with sparks coming out of it)

I think it's just the regular knife taunt kill icon, unless there's something specifically different about it. It was literally the first thing to happen to me after the update (I was Engi), and I sincerely doubt it was intended for this. Quite cheap and lazy. Spy crab taunt is awesome shit. Really enjoying a lot of the polish and detail and tiny fixes added into the game. Must point out though, unless it was just bad players or something, Razorback sucks. I just see a Spy stab it, backpedal for a moment, and stab it again. Does it not alert you that your shield has been stabbed? HATE the new unlock system. Better than grinding through achievements? Maybe. But I have to say I'd prefer to have the option of accidently obtaining a whole mess of achievements (which I have for Spy) and getting an unlock than getting shit randomly. So far I've gotten an extra bonk:|

I think you are missing the point. Adding a points system based on achievements is basically the previous system minus the points. If achievements are worth say 50 points and you need 400 for the Jarate, people will farm the achievements. This is exactly the opposite to what they are trying to do. That solution hasn't changed anything.

But I don't think this solution is any less frustrating as the previous. Everyone wants the unlocks, and they simply can't get them.

I think I'm missing the whole idea of why it's supposed to be bad that people who, when given a means to obtain something they want in a way the detracts from every one else's experience, then leave and go do it somewhere else with other people who want that thing. Because it certainly seems like a non issue to me.

With the 'time' system in place, Valve want to use an average of how often someone boots TF2 up for, and relate that time to giving you new unlocks.

At the moment, I think they are well off. They've probably got it set to every 4 hours or so. Also I'm sure it's not triggering correctly either. Things which need to be addressed. Once they balance that time, it will be much better.

But yes I do agree with you, the new weapons should be more readily available for people to play with. I'm dying to try them out too and after the day 1, day 2, day 3 hyping process it's pretty crappy of them to put the weapons slightly out of reach just to increase player numbers over time.

Now that I think about it, how is this not just another form of grind?

Sorry Ryan, but Raziaar has better marketability.

I think you are missing the point. Adding a points system based on achievements is basically the previous system minus the points. If achievements are worth say 50 points and you need 400 for the Jarate, people will farm the achievements. This is exactly the opposite to what they are trying to do. That solution hasn't changed anything.

I understand that, but people are going to grind anyway. There are a tonne of people just grinding now. Grinding random drops. There is no possible way to grind random drops effectively but they're doing it anyway.

I understand that, but people are going to grind anyway. There are a tonne of people just grinding now. Grinding random drops. There is no possible way to grind random drops effectively but they're doing it anyway.

^This, now instead of achievement rooms, it's spectator camping.

Because you are playing the game normally? Sure you are hoping the time ticks down but it seamlessly merges into your normal play style. It will certainly be better in time....:p

I think 50% of these people are TF2 players who play updates for 3 days, use their weapons then go back to whatever game. I think Valve are trying to develop a more solid player base (much akin to CSS). The other update methods obviously haven't been what they are looking for.

This method makes people stick around to get your toys. I do think to myself..."GOOD, I play TF2 all the time, I'll earn my weapons...why should that punk who wants a quick buzz and run get them all in a quick achiv grind"

I play all the time too. But now I find myself forcing myself to play at odd times in the small hopes of getting an unlock. I'm playing on non-peak hours where the servers are slow and the players are noob.

Well I got the Huntsman within 2 minutes of randomly joining a server and as a spy, so I'm pretty happy there. Others are pissed I supsect because they've been playing for hours and haven't unlocked anything they don't already have.

Like everyone I have an opinion on the new system. Instead of writing a wordy description, below are my personal Pros, Cons and Ideas for the new system.

Pros:
-No longer have everyone playing as one class thus the game isn't unbalanced.
-New players and people who play the game casually get equal opportunity to get new unlocks.
-People no longer grinding to achieve achievements.

Cons:
-Idle players unbalancing games.
-Getting multiple unlocks.
-No skill required to get unlocks.
-Achievements are almost pointless now.
-No sense of reward for getting an unlock.
-Get items for classes you may not even play.
-Still have achievement maps, just they are now "idle" maps.

Ideas:
-Give unlocks to everyone on day if release.
-Do not give multiple unlocks (the trade idea is unlikely to get used very much).
-Have a "point" system similar to Call of Duty or Battlefield where as you "level" up with the points you earn you unlock weapons.
-Choice of which unlock you wish to have.
-Valve could have told people this idea before the unlock came out to see what people thought or at least told people on the day of release.

I play TF2 either way so I don't feel like I'm being force to play it with this new system just I think it's such a shame that probably one of the biggest TF2 updates has been rather annoying and confusing. The new levels and unlocks in general are very good, it's just a shame about the new system in my opinion.

Valve has a new twitter feed, apparently:

http://twitter.com/ValveNews

Answers some questions about their plans for the system. They have noticed the achievement_idle servers.

Worthy of a news topic?

EDIT: Looks fake, after all.

Back