So, the death of a main character (EXTREME spoilers)

There were many combine soldiers infront of it - the blood was coming from them, but the slug itself remains unharmed.

The slug was on his jack jones on my second pass. Combine troops starting to rush in after he flew off. In general, I'd rather you didn't tell me what I did or didn't see since you weren't sat next to me.

Greeny yellow. I was sure about it as I was suprised there were no troops when the first time I actually missed the slug as I was busy with them still. I just quickly started from that chapter and sure enough there's no spray when I hit them.
I'm flumoxed to be honest. Looks like Iron Cube's right. I'm going to give it another bash later see if I can get a result.

Yeah cause it would have flinched if the mounted gun actually damaged it :eek:

i don't now if anyone else told you that too or not atomic, but it was very clever to name the title "the death of the main character" and follow it with "EXTREME spoilers"...

It's almost 01:00 am here, and i just finished ep2. Pretty late though. The game has caught me so hard despite my intentions to play several days, i finished it only for 2.

I expected Alyx to live at the end, for certain. I remember one poll someone posted several months ago about who will most probably die in ep2, and Eli was on the top, so i wasn't very surprised. I somehow expected it, but not the way it happened.

Usually this never happens when i play a computer game, but my girlfriend was watching my progress carefully throughout ep2. She got very interrested and i had to explain to her some of the major storyline moments, starting from HL1 'till now. And since this was my first playthrough of ep2, it was fun for both of us...except the end...

God, this shocked us both...She cried alot then, i had to remind her it is only a game and Eli is only a game-character. Still, it left a bad feeling in my stomach too. It's the way Valve entangles us in the story, grabs us, and plays with our feelings. No other computer game have ever done this to me, and believe me, i have played them alot...but...you know what i mean.

I only wonder what will happen now with the other characters. Most unsure about Alyx. The death of her father is a major blow to her, it will be a challenge for Valve to pull this off while keeping her close enough to Gordon (us), without the death of her father to leave a huge mark.

Whatever the ending, i hate the good games to end...

They won't end. After Episode Three Valve is going to evaluate what the fans want- more episodes, or HL3.

And I have a pretty big hunch that we have not seen the last of G-Man or Alyx after Episode Three.

Nah they are apart of the story now, unless they are killed which is highly unlikely, they will be in the next story arc.

Exactly my point, Shift and leib10. Valve have gone way too far just to seperate the characters by the end of ep3, speaking not only for Alyx and Gordon (it's just that she is with us most of the time so this bond is the most developed by Valve). They have only 3 options here in my opinion.

1. 'Kill' all the Hl2 characters in ep3 to start clean in HL3.
It's the characters that make HL unique. If i wanted a blind-shoot-out game then i will go play SS2 and forget about it...horrible
2. 'Kill Gordon along with all the characters'
WTF? This will mean Valve will start a completely new game with the only resemblance to Half-Life is by it's name. No more Gordon...horrible, even more, this will simply brake the bonds of time and space and our fan-world go to heck.
3. 'Save Gordon, Alyx and the rest of them'
A logical choice, and i think everyone here will agree with me this is the best option.

Who will live and who will die is in the hands of Valve, as we saw they are very capable of pulling even the death of a major character out. Poor Eli. Maybe they decided he is not needed anymore, whatever the reasons are, they should be careful as good major characters can easily die, but can't be easily created.

Valve didn't kill Eli, because they didn't have anymore use for him.
On the contrary. He died for a reason.

They knew, they had established Eli's importance in the Resistance and Alyx's devotion to him, so the impact of his death seemed obvious.
His death took the storyline farther.

Actually, when it comes to fighting advisers I think it wouldn't be too hard to "kill" them in number of shots required -- a single RPG blast would bust them open. It's their psychic abilities that might pose a problem, similarly to the gunships way of dealing with RPG's.

Instead of it being crushed to death, say it's laying on the floor, wounded, trapped under things; Alyx walks up and shoots it dead.

Though physically injured, it may still be capable of psychic attacks...

Exactly.

And if Alyx would get too close, the psychic attacks could be fatal.
I'm talking about the dead rebels in the barn.

I'm suspecting a physics battle between you and the Advisor, using the gravity gun. Say upgrade the gun so it makes you immune to direct manipulation... then dodge the objects coming at you, grab some, throw them back.

Odd that this hasn't been said, but, Vorts might do some Voodoo of the Advisor to stop its pshic thing.

so the damn advisors know everything about the resistance and the Borealis now..

really wonder how the story is going to continue in ep3

so the damn advisors know everything about the resistance and the Borealis now..

really wonder how the story is going to continue in ep3

That's a bit too far to say for sure. Valve will neither confirm nor deny the ability of Advisors to "analyze" the contents of the brains they suck from their owners.

What if Eli's death was an unforseen consequence of the rocket launch?

Maybe, but I think he ment the Borielis. And if we think about this, now theres basically no way to stop Gman, only the Vortagaunts...

That was the closest I've ever come to crying over a video game. Enough said for the emotional impact.

That is how I felt. I've never become "attached" or "interested" in the lives of video game characters until HL2. That's one of the reasons I like it so much.

Eli's death was an even bigger blow to me, because I think i'm the only one on this board who didn't even suspect that Eli would die! It was a complete suprise for me.

Thing is gman and Breen possibly made a deal over the crystal, remember in HL1 the administator went some lenghts to get the crystal sample, HL2 revealed this to be Dr Breen and then in episode 2 the gman was the man who delivered it to Eli, so what was the gman arguing with the scientist for in an office before the RC in the original half life

But what do the advisors actually do?
Ok, so they are a reference to the brain bug in Starship Troopers and i've seen the tongue things have little holes on the ends, like straws.

So they actually suck the brain out? Or they just pierce it and suck the information, fatally wounding the subject?

Thing is gman and Breen possibly made a deal over the crystal, remember in HL1 the administator went some lenghts to get the crystal sample, HL2 revealed this to be Dr Breen and then in episode 2 the gman was the man who delivered it to Eli, so what was the gman arguing with the scientist for in an office before the RC in the original half life
I'm pretty sure that whatever Breen was doing, he didn't want to cause a resonance cascade (forget what the HL Story Saga site says). It would be impossible for him to predict the Combine invasion or that he would profit from it so much - all he would be able to foresee would be his facility going up in smoke.

I'm still of the persuasion that Breen was seduced by visions of fame and just wanted to perform ever bolder experiments. He may have felt like he had to do a lot to get that sample from Gman, but since it appears to have been in Gman's interest to cause the RC this was likely just a facade.

Gman's presence at ground zero and his arguments with scientists were a sign of his trying to override any opposition to the experiment. This appears to have been the most directly involved he has ever been with anything in the HL story, so it must have been a big project to him.
So they actually suck the brain out? Or they just pierce it and suck the information, fatally wounding the subject?
They suck the information, leaving the subject 3-5 kilos lighter, since this is the weight of information contained within the average person. You can heal the victim if you punch the Advisor in the stomach and make it spit out the 'information juice', as long as you inject it back into the victim's head in time.

Lamarrs death must have something to do with the story. Maybe the rocket went off course due to the 8 pound imbalance?

Errr...the portal was closed...nothing went wrong with that.

i don't now if anyone else told you that too or not atomic, but it was very clever to name the title "the death of the main character" and follow it with "EXTREME spoilers"...

Well, everyone new a main character was going to die, and the was just a typo. I know what you mean though :p

I thought it was excellent. It was really hard to watch because of a great set up (whereby I mean i'd grown to love the old boy in the general story, coupled with the previewing early on of how the combine 'ice' you. I immensely enjoyed the last 4 chapters and loved the new plot developments.

But i think the way Eli died is a bit much even for Valve. It's one thing to empty my shotgun secondary in an smelly zombie houling and running to tear me to bits, it's a completely other thing to be stuck on a wall while daughter watches her only left parent being grabbed by a big ugly caterpillar and his brain shattered to bits by the monster's 'tongue'. Not to mention the blood and Alyx's screams...and her crying at the end...
Yeah, i know, sorta dramatic...but sorta way too brutal, don't you think? Maybe Eli had to die, but why this way? It's not something heroic, he was helpless.

The way he died made his death needless.

He resisted to the last second (smacking the Advisor with a pipe).

I thought the way the death was done was perfect. It really upped the ante to the next level as far as emotional impact.

I miss lamarr, i daydream of him and eli sittng on a beach gummy lamarr sucking on eli's head and they both chuckle. then the sad truth hits me they are proberbly both stuck in combine hell =(

But yes its a great twist in the story one im sure no one expected and im sure it will only drive gordon and alyx on more determined.
I also think valve are just reminding us that any one is expendable any one exept gordon that is lol!

Yes, Valve pulled his death off very good, in emotional level. But still he died at the most end, and smacking the thing with a pipe can hardly be called a resistance. He just gave himself with the words "I love you". If he tried to sacrifice himself for his daughter to live, then after finishing him the bugs will simply finish both Alyx and Gordon off. How he would know DOG is coming on rescue? Somehow the whole thing seemed to me he was knowing his death is imminent, maybe the G-Man has a finger here...

Good in emotional level, but cruel, cruel in the context of this game, as until now, only 'the bad guys' die.

Valve warned us that we should understand the main characters can die, and they proved it.

"Holy shit", is the phrase I uttered when the screen went black and credits began to roll. I was so blown away by the entire thing, it was horrific, tragic, and epic - but at the same time so well done.

Eli's death was horrific and brutal... but unlike many other games, it served a purpose. Evil is ugly. Valve did an excellent job of revealing exactly what you are dealing with. Think of all the other combine mutations we've seen along the way, how they have taken the resistance and turned them into butchered mindless slaves. The heartless nature of their existance has become so apparent that you develope an almost righteous hatred and over-whelming vengeance towards them.

I think this is what we will see in Ep.3, particularly from Alyx. I think she will break down at times and her and Gordon will grow ever closer... but I also think that in the face of the Combine we will see an Alyx so determined and so bent on completely blotting out their existence that it will lead the way into the epic finale.

Back