So, the death of a main character (EXTREME spoilers)

man y do we ave to get tortured! Each time valve releases another episode, MORE MYSTERIES are created, the first episode, they leave you asking urself wth will happen to alyx and gordon, now, they kill ELI! couldnt they kill him in chapter 3 or so, uh, now we wait another year probably for episode 3

gah been so long I had to make a new account X-x

Anywho, while happy endings are nice, its possible it wont come, this one I didn't expect, well right then anyway. Hell Ep3 could end with Alyx taking the climax herself out rage and her doing so could be hear death and leave the rest of what must be done for you, perhaps a sacrifice, adding more to your emotion for the last action, only to end and freeze, with that familiar voice calling your name.

I think, if Episode 3 will rap up the storyark, that Gordon is the one who should do the sacrafice bit. Maybe take out Gman and Breen with the blast.

I think, if Episode 3 will rap up the storyark, that Gordon is the one who should do the sacrafice bit. Maybe take out Gman and Breen with the blast.

A) Killing the G-Man would be a terrible mistake.

B) This is assuming Breen is still alive. Personally I don't think he is. We didn't see him in EpiTwo, so its more than likely he is dead.

Ye, Breen certainly died in the epicenter of the dark-energy core explosion in the end of HL2. He was nowhere to be seen in EP1 and EP2 so he's outta the picture.

The G-Man is the secret that keeps the whole story together. He influences the lives and (possibly) the deaths of the main characters, so Valve can't just dispose of him.
Also, i'm sure every of us, starting from HL1 'till now have withnessed how this misterious figure appear in some places just to 'monitor' our progress. How many of you tried to kill him? He's invulnerable, at least in our physical world.

The G-Man is the only character successfuly migrated from HL1 to HL2. All other characters are either created later in HL2, or appear somehow connected to the HL1 story.

Ye, Breen certainly died in the epicenter of the dark-energy core explosion in the end of HL2. He was nowhere to be seen in EP1 and EP2 so he's outta the picture.

The G-Man is the secret that keeps the whole story together. He influences the lives and (possibly) the deaths of the main characters, so Valve can't just dispose of him.
Also, i'm sure every of us, starting from HL1 'till now have withnessed how this misterious figure appear in some places just to 'monitor' our progress. How many of you tried to kill him? He's invulnerable, at least in our physical world.

The G-Man is the only character successfuly migrated from HL1 to HL2. All other characters are either created later in HL2, or appear somehow connected to the HL1 story.

Gordon Freeman, Barney Calhoun.

Gordon - of corse, without Gordon there will be no player and no Half-Life lol :D
Barney - yeah, in HL1 there were many 'barneys' lol, Valve developed some sort of a personality for him in Blue Shift, where you take his role to save the scientists from Black Mesa, still it's not the Barney we know from HL2.

I HIGHLY doubt that any Gordon Freeman deaths will be appearing on our screens in the next 10 years. Not because it will take Valve that long to make the next installment (inset sarcastic, smug look here) BUT because it would be Half Life suicide, and i dont think Valve want to do that.

Yes of course, but if there where any sacrifice, id rather see Gordon do the deed, then Alyx. He has the HEV suit after all. He might just survive.

You are all forgetting the G-Man. Gordon could sign up to sacrfice his life to do the deed, it is done but just before he goes down with the ship, the G-Man steps him to pluck his valuable pawn out of there.

You are all forgetting the G-Man. Gordon could sign up to sacrfice his life to do the deed, it is done but just before he goes down with the ship, the G-Man steps him to pluck his valuable pawn out of there.

But he may not be able to do that anymore...certain restrictions...

Breen is not dead. Not unless they couldn't get Culp back on board. And Valve has been persistently evasive when it comes to his death/return. If he's dead, why keep stringing us along? It's not like anybody would be impressed if he just turned out to be a corpse after all this mystery.

Heed my words.

Breen is not dead. Not unless they couldn't get Culp back on board. And Valve has been persistently evasive when it comes to his death/return. If he's dead, why keep stringing us along? It's not like anybody would be impressed if he just turned out to be a corpse after all this mystery.

Heed my words.

Im not sure about this Breen notion, it would destroy the point of climbing all the way to the pinicle of the Citidel in the first place and wreck the 'boss fight' though saying that he may of escaped just in time before it was destroyed. BUT his destination was offworld according to his speech to the advisor and the super portal has been closed as of EP2 so even if he was still alive hes not on earth and not coming back for a while to come.

I don't think it would have wrecked it. I dunno. The primary goal in my head when I first played through the end was to destroy the Citadel, not to kill Breen. I never really considered him a boss. And he never struck me as a rotten-to-the-core guy, so I had difficulty visualizing killing him, especially when he still looked quite alive as his bubble plummeted to the bottom.

I can wager that Breen survived the Citadel explosion, but to have done that he must have teleported to another Combine inhabited planet or universe. And like Rookie said, the Superportal was closed in EP2 meaning that wherever Breen went, he will not be back for EP3, or at least I seriously doubt he wont. He could make his return in the next storyarc though.

I doubt they'll ever kill the G-man, except maybe in the last ever HL episode. He's central to the entire story, he's the single mystery element that's been present right from the start, and the only thing which seems to have continuity.

I can't see any way Breen could have survived the explosion, nor can I see any reason for Valve to let him live. He's done his purpose, and he was good at it, but City17's history now, and he would be more than a bit out of place away from it. However, Valve being so evasive suggests that they're keeping things open, as they often do. I suppose they could work him back into the plot, although I have no idea how.

Back to the OP for a sec ...

Having just played the final bit in Ep2, my own observation is that this (Eli's death) was the very moment that Half Life made the leap to a truly 'adult' story. While up until now everything has been exceedingly well done, there's never been a 'real world' feel to the game, imo. That may sound silly at the outset, given the themes of genocide, oppression, and widespread death we've seen throughout, but that stuff was always rather distant. The people you saw die were just generic rebels; the oppression was always taking place apart from you; you were essentially moving through all these things and trying to fight against them, but not being particularly affected by them. Even Alyx's grave injury at the hands of the hunter didn't compare, because there was never any real doubt that she would survive.

Not so anymore. Alyx's breakdown over Eli's dead body was as emotionally hard-hitting as Half Life has gotten, and it seems irreversibly final. Eli is dead, and Alyx has been permanently scarred - much more deaply than from the hunter's attack. From Gordon's inability to do anything about it to Alyx's inconsolable grief - everything is suddenly very much the stuff of real life that we all deal with or will deal with some day, albeit in hopefully less dramatic terms.

I didn't feel particularly weepy at Eli's death like some have said here, but the significance wasn't lost on me, both in terms of the future of the Half Life story and in Valve's decision to cross that bridge.

It's a bold step on their part, and I congratulate them on having the courage to do it. :thumbs: There's no going back now.

Well, about the Breen thing, it sort of angers me that Valve still haven't confirmed his death. Even a simple "Well, now that Breen's dead, blahblahblah..." by one of the main characters would be sufficient confirmation.

It's just weird that they are all hush-hush about his status, which makes it seem like they have something in store for him even if they don't.

Having just played the final bit in Ep2, my own observation is that this (Eli's death) was the very moment that Half Life made the leap to a truly 'adult' story. While up until now everything has been exceedingly well done, there's never been a 'real world' feel to the game, imo. That may sound silly at the outset, given the themes of genocide, oppression, and widespread death we've seen throughout, but that stuff was always rather distant. The people you saw die were just generic rebels; the oppression was always taking place apart from you; you were essentially moving through all these things and trying to fight against them, but not being particularly affected by them. Even Alyx's grave injury at the hands of the hunter didn't compare, because there was never any real doubt that she would survive.

Not so anymore. Alyx's breakdown over Eli's dead body was as emotionally hard-hitting as Half Life has gotten, and it seems irreversibly final. Eli is dead, and Alyx has been permanently scarred - much more deaply than from the hunter's attack. From Gordon's inability to do anything about it to Alyx's inconsolable grief - everything is suddenly very much the stuff of real life that we all deal with or will deal with some day, albeit in hopefully less dramatic terms.

I didn't feel particularly weepy at Eli's death like some have said here, but the significance wasn't lost on me, both in terms of the future of the Half Life story and in Valve's decision to cross that bridge.

It's a bold step on their part, and I congratulate them on having the courage to do it. :thumbs: There's no going back now.

Eli's death gave me a huge goospimperly moment and as the screen faded out it turned into a little bit of anger because i really wanted to get off the wall and save him and i think for the very. VERY first time in the Half Life series Gordon was unable to change something that could be catastrohic and i think this will change Gordons place with the resistance.

As for Breen, maybe their HUSH HUSH about is simply not wanting to state the obvious and say, 'yeah hes dead'?

The way the theory of Breen still bieng alive falls apart for me is that in EpiOne the entire top of the citadel has been ripped off - and Breen was up there. There was no way he could escape in a few seconds.
Don't get me wrong, I would love to see Breen back - he is a brilliant character, perhaps one of the best. But his death sort of tied up Hl2 for me - he was the first thing we saw on the train station, and we come round full circle and have killed him.

*snip*

Yes, I agree. Ep2 was orders of magnitude more intensive than any of the other installments, on the first playthrough at least. I'm glad that Valve has finally learnt that a storyline is much more frightening than any number or zombies, because the storyline is the one thing in the game you know you're not in control of.

I can wager that Breen survived the Citadel explosion, but to have done that he must have teleported to another Combine inhabited planet or universe. And like Rookie said, the Superportal was closed in EP2 meaning that wherever Breen went, he will not be back for EP3, or at least I seriously doubt he wont. He could make his return in the next storyarc though.

Once you'd thrown the last ball into the core the teleport shut down; the 'tear in space' as it were closed and Breen drifted back down to the bottom. He'd spent the last two minutes 'rising' inside the chute simply to pass through to another world; how is it possible for him to have gone elsewhere? They don't have local teleport technology.

Seconds after the reactor detonates and the entire Earth teleport grid is shut down. The purpose of that last battle was to stop him escaping, and if he does teleport you fail. It'd be redundant for him to have escaped.

Seriously... Hes not dead. He probably got in an escape pod or something.

The way the theory of Breen still bieng alive falls apart for me is that in EpiOne the entire top of the citadel has been ripped off - and Breen was up there. There was no way he could escape in a few seconds.
Don't get me wrong, I would love to see Breen back - he is a brilliant character, perhaps one of the best. But his death sort of tied up Hl2 for me - he was the first thing we saw on the train station, and we come round full circle and have killed him.

But Breen wasn't at the top - Alyx says at the beginning of Episode One that she wan't sure how they escaped, she remembered Vortigaunts - and Breen falling.

perfect way to end ep2... even tho i was close to tears.

Valve! can u do no wrong?

The way i see things the Gman is an enigma and really we have no idea why he does what he does how he does it or even who's side he is on. The Gman uses gordon to pretty much shape the coarse of events knowing that he is vital to a certain outcome and the events to achieve that outcome be it with resistance victory or falure.
Now my reason for this little bit is that if valve wanted to and could quite easily make it work they could have in a massive twist of events the reapearance of breen followed my some back story or some way of telling us the gamer that it was the Gman that also plucked breen (well within his powers) from the citadel right before the explosion. I know i know your saying but the Gman wanted breen dead after all thats why he sent gordon rite? wrong we dont actually know what Gman wants maybe he needed the citadel gone for some reason after all he doesnt need breen dead to accomplish that?
Now breen is instrumental in achieving some gameplan the Gman has and has kept him untill this moment to play his part???

Its a stab in the dark but it shows valve could do it if they wanted.

In episode 1 their is a replay of Breen's conversation with an advisor that concludes right after he is advised to take a "host body". This line would be very abstract if he never did acquire one and right after the message ends it's replay we see an advisor slip into an escape pod and take off. Could the advisor shell be the host body? Could Breen have been the one to kill Eli? It would certainly make the last minutes of Ep2 that much more dramatic.

We where interrupting him in the middle of his trying to formulate a believable escape. He's dead.

Not only did the advisors look a bit like the "brain bugs" from Starship Troopers, they even animated it sucking Eli's brain out -- it seems we can expect the first part of Episode 3 to deal with the fact that there's an advisor that now knows all the secrets of the resistance - but it's been caught by dog so perhaps the resistance can find out all about the Combine...

Another thought regarding Portal -- the arctic + ship environment is probably the ideal location for Valve to include a Portal gun in a Half-Life game because the abundance of snow and metal (which don't accept portals) provide a good way of controlling the player's use of portals (so for example you can't just shoot one to the horizon and one on the floor to skip an entire outdoor level)

Not only did the advisors look a bit like the "brain bugs" from Starship Troopers, they even animated it sucking Eli's brain out -- it seems we can expect the first part of Episode 3 to deal with the fact that there's an advisor that now knows all the secrets of the resistance - but it's been caught by dog so perhaps the resistance can find out all about the Combine...

Another thought regarding Portal -- the arctic + ship environment is probably the ideal location for Valve to include a Portal gun in a Half-Life game because the abundance of snow and metal (which don't accept portals) provide a good way of controlling the player's use of portals (so for example you can't just shoot one to the horizon and one on the floor to skip an entire outdoor level)

Both of them escaped.

Back