Sorry if this has been said before but lol....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by Goddamn Freeman
Her skin tone is slightly asian in hue too. Either way, she's damnn fine.
good god that sounded sad...

its only a game...its only a game...its only a game.....
No, no, you're right, she's very attractive. Blame Valve.

Valve! Damn them!
You've gotta admit it does sound a bit sad. At least she's realistic. Never got into the whole fancying lara croft thing myself. She neve seemed real. No character ever seemed as real...

One thing i am worried about is alyx's smile. Seems a bit frog-like to me...

Wow, Some very stupid people in this forum. 2 very dark black people(man and woman) can have a very light skinned offspring, and this is not uncommon at all. Don't you people know or have any relations with black folks :afro: . Seems to me some of you do not want to believe she is black because she is good looking :D. There are tons of great looking black females - hope that does not shock you and send you crying to your mommy :cheese:

Wake up and smell the coffee - The black race covers all shades-from very dark to almost virtually white.

Don't forget every human on this planet is a descendant of the black race :cheers: . So chew on that...

Originally posted by fido
There are tons of great looking black females - hope that does not shock you and send you crying to your mommy :cheese:

Quite right, Aalyiah was one (she died did she not? I spelt her name wrong too, didn't I? R.I.P.).

Originally posted by Xtasy0
dont forget her asian eyes.

LOL! Go visit africa and you will see TONS of people with those shaped eyes. :afro: :bounce:

THUG started the proud tradition of posting at least one "Alyx is white" thread a week and it appears to go on. This isn't just dumb, it's plain retarded.

You guys have never seen black people in your life or something?? :flame:

Sorry to be a killjoy here, but I think she looked a lot better in the renders.....

I hope that fishbait never posts here again after such ridiculous comments. You're not as excited about the game because there's a half cast girl in it? That is just ridiculous. What? You think it's the token half cast person or the token black person? It isn't, it's just the way it's turned out.

Are you one of those ****ers that think an indian person and a white person shouldn't be allowed? Are you one of those bastards that think a black person with a white person is disgusting? If so, I hope you ****ing die and rot in hell. Bitch.

Now I never usually resort to name calling like that, but you, my bitch, have made me ****ing angry you prejudiced shite.

i can see why people would be a bit confused... white/blonde gene are usually recessive, whereas black/brown are dominant.

Hmmm, I teach genetics and that's news to me. You're thinking of albinism, which is a much simpler case than normal skin colour. Normal skin colour is not a simple case of black or white (there are numerous 'grades'). Besides, each ethnic group has several physical traits (besides colour) that can be distinctive and these are caused by the interaction and regulation of several genes. These traits can also vary considerably even within each group.

I would say that Alyx's phenotype is within the range that most people would consider black. However, she could also be 'mistaken' for a member of several other races as well. I'm sure Valve did this on purpose: she was designed to look 'ethnic' without really singling out one group. As several other people pointed out, we don't know what race her mother was.

Bottom line: I think she's kinda cute.

I don't know, she looksvery Eastern Asian looking to me...or maybe even partly European blood with partly East Asian blood...

I don't really see any sort of Sub-Saharan African blood.

Anyway, most of you don't understand how genetics works concerning skin color. As it's been mentioned before, their are MANY genes that discern skin color - something like a few hundred to a few thousand. These genes, collectively, determine the color of a child's skin. That's why when you have a dark-skinned mother, for example, and a light-skinned father, the child often looks 'half' - in other words, in between in terms of sking darkness. About halfway as dark as her mother and half-way as light as her father. It's very rare to have a child 'just' as light-skinned as her father - simply use probability math and you'll see why.

Skin color is not determined like eye color is, like someone mentioned - their is not a single gene.

Either way, it's not a big deal how Alyx looks. I'm just going to assume that she was adopted. Big deal. It's not the end of the world like some of you make it out to be.

Originally posted by Risiko
I don't know, she looksvery Eastern Asian looking to me...or maybe even partly European blood with partly East Asian blood...

I don't really see any sort of Sub-Saharan African blood.

Anyway, most of you don't understand how genetics works concerning skin color. As it's been mentioned before, their are MANY genes that discern skin color - something like a few hundred to a few thousand. These genes, collectively, determine the color of a child's skin. That's why when you have a dark-skinned mother, for example, and a light-skinned father, the child often looks 'half' - in other words, in between in terms of sking darkness. About halfway as dark as her mother and half-way as light as her father. It's very rare to have a child 'just' as light-skinned as her father - simply use probability math and you'll see why.

Skin color is not determined like eye color is, like someone mentioned - their is not a single gene.

Either way, it's not a big deal how Alyx looks. I'm just going to assume that she was adopted. Big deal. It's not the end of the world like some of you make it out to be.

hahaha i just realized valve's plan is working, they want us to be immersed in the game, and have an emotional connection with the characters, and here we are discussing a characters nationality and her bloodlines like shes a real person!! haha. i cant imagine what it will be like in game, wooweeeeeee

Hello Fido. Your reputation advances ahead of your odour. :)

Originally posted by CultureShock
Hello Fido. Your reputation advances ahead of your odour. :)

:cheers: hehe. How goes the suit against The Duke. Maybe we should launch a class action suit - could be very profitable if the game turns out ok. LOL!

hey calm blue ocean! I just said that yesterday! (look at page 3)
Blatant plagarism. pah. even down to saying shes cute. I would sue, but i'm pretty sure you'd find out where i live and throw sticks at me.
But at least if u teach genetcis, it means i'm right. woohoo.

In the end what does it matter? she's damned fine. And, she's wearing an easy-on/off body suit. ooh yeah.

I bet half of people here want a slut from Unreal 2 to be in HL2, isn't it right?
I never understood why people make such big deal because of a skin color. Can’t you look past it? I remember my dad saying “you only can have a white girlfriend”, well I went to the prom with Asian. Was funny as hell, oh ah, my poor dad, racist ****.

In the end what does it matter? she's damned fine. And, she's wearing an easy-on/off body suit. ooh yeah.

I just said it Mr Reak. will ppl please stop repeating what i've said?...

I never understood why people make such big deal because of a skin color. Can’t you look past it? .

crap, i just quoted him under me, i'm such a spaz.
Agrguments really lose power when you balls up your words don't they?

specially when you can't spell arguments. dammit. one our too many in the sun methinks.

ARGH! HOUR in the sun. <beats head on keyboard>
I'm talking to myself too. its a baaaad sign.

You don't need to make four posts in a row, the edit option is there for a reason.

Originally posted by fido
LOL! Go visit africa and you will see TONS of people with those shaped eyes. :afro: :bounce:

Well, yes. But the her eyelids are what denote her as having an Asian parent. (or even grandparent. Whatever.) I really don't think she's adopted. She does seem to have some of father's features. (cheekbones, in particular. Her eye color seems to be similar to Eli's, as well.)

Originally by Goddamn Freeman
oh and if (and its a wasted point now) my biology serves me correctly, skin colour (like height or weight) are not down to dominant or resecive genes (you're not completely black or completely white) as it's a bit of genetic code that determines the amount of melanin produced in the skin. This can be anywhere on a gradient, unlike things such as eye colour or hair colour (to some extent, but that does also have varying levels within each gene group).
This is why you have 'half-caste' people from mixed race families, you don't just get some white and some black children, their skin darkness can be anywhere on the gradient.

And your biology knowledge of this is correct. There's actually about 16-20 alleles for skin color, alone, I believe. For eye color, I bet it would be a much higher number of alleles, as there's many different proteins that make up the structures and colors of the iris.

What the Hell is wrong with biraciality, anyways? Are you one of those white supremacists or something, fishbait? Geez... we're all mongrels, after all!! :E

sorry, i feel a wee bit stupid. long day at work. Anyway, it's good to know i still remember my A-level biology from all that time ago.
Damn i wish i was still at school.

But i really am only worried about her smile- look at any pictures of her smiling. A look of the frog anyone???

ok well I don't remember any of the skin colour stuff from genetics then but my first impression was she is white. I don't think the pictures are conclusive I just think she looks mix raced because of the light but even then I don't think she looks that mixed race more white...

I always thought half-cast was a racist word so it makes me laugh when all these people use it and accuse others of being racists hey! If you want real racism then something like Venus Williams looks like a monkey is almost there it could also just be true.

Anyway I like the comment someone said about valve must be happy about us talking about one of their characters in so much depth kind of makes you forget its a game and the colour of Alyx doesn't really matter. Although I happen to think the only reason why we can be bothered talking about this is because we have such little info on the game so even the dull and simple things are grabbing our attention.

anyway thanks for the useless discussion you bunch of complete idiots, full of themselves geeks who think they know biology, racists and a genetics teacher - did I miss anyone?

yeesh. bad day huh?

Why do people get so hung up on words? the use of 'half-caste' is only racist if it's said with malice or in a derogitary sense. people should really try to look at the meaning behind words, not the words themselves, or we'll all politically correct ourselves to death.

"Fear of the word only increases fear of the thing itself"

The same is true of this discussion. If you accuse someone of using racist words, yo miss the underlying meaning a person is trying to put across. The words are only racist if we interpret them that way.

Society is so hung up on a fear of being racist itself, it over-self-regulates itself, as it is afraid of being accused of racism. This obviously has good and bad points:
It shows that racism is no longer tollerated, however it shows ppl are afraid to communicate with real meaning, as they are too afraid to put a point across.

Goddamn Freeman is right.
I am not a racist, I have amny asian friends and black friends etc etc. I live in one of the most multicultural cities in Britain. Nottingham. I hate racism it makes me sick!

There was a man in town once while my brother was there. He had a sign on him saying "Allah is a prat". My brother neally fliped. And my brother is white of course. He was more angry than his asian friends standing with him. And one of his friends has been doing weight training since he was 8 years old and boxing from the same age. If that guy had gone nothing would have been left of the wanker.
In the end my brother simply called him a disgrace called the police and spat on his shoe. The guy was trying to fight my brother. And my brother has been doing muay thai for years now. Along with weight training and chinese boxing wing chun etc. If my brother fliped the guy wouldent have died. My brother would have takin his balls for suvenirs. Then we see how cocky the guy was eh!.

Sorry for my language and rambling. Its just whenever i see nethin racist I think of things like this. And i pity those who are so stupid.

I like Alyx alot mainly because she isnt a stereotypical game babe. When you look at alyx you see her beauty in her face you dont see her boobs or her ass. btw who ever made this thread is a ****ing moron.

It's a bit worring that here in Britain the BNP has gained a significant number of seats in the Burnley (? I think it's burnley) council.

It really is such a shame that sad, unintelligent individuals are intimidated by ethnic people. The only reason for racism is fear and cowardice. Its something that makes you question human behaviour, and it makes me angry and sick.
I really do pity those who are so small minded as to be racist.

You're right, she does actually have a (dare i say it of a game character) beautiful face. It really good to see a more mature look to women in games. looks like she actually has brains too!

Excuse me
standing on one leg
I'm half-caste
Explain yuself
wha yu mean
when yu say half-caste
yu mean when picasso
mix red an green
is a half-caste canvas/
explain yuself
wha yu mean
when yu say half-caste
yu mean when light an shadow
mix in de sky
is a half-caste weather/
well in dat case
england weather
nearly always half-caste
in fact some o dem cloud
half-caste till dem overcast
so spiteful dem dont want de sun pass
ah rass/
explain yuself
wha yu mean
when yu say half-caste
yu mean tchaikovsky
sit dowm at dah piano
an mix a black key
wid a white key
is a half-caste symphony/
Explain yuself
wha yu mean
Ah listening to yu wid de keen
half of mih ear
Ah lookin at yu wid de keen
half of mih eye
and when I'm introduced to yu
I'm sure you'll
understand
why I offer yu half-a-hand
an when I sleep at night
I close half-a-eye
consequently when I dream
I dream half-a-dream
an when moon begin to glow
I half-caste human being
cast half-a-shadow
but yu must come back tomorrow
wid de whole of yu eye
an de whole of yu ear
an de whole of yu mind
an I will tell yu
de other half
of my story

by John Agard

Half-Cast is a bad word no one should use it lightly

Mr Freeman you sound like a full of poop psychologist who finds his answers from the obvious and acccepted views of the educated. You're not a thinker.

Originally posted by PriNcE oF SpAcE
You're not very good at spelling correctly, are you?
Yeah, that's what I though, shut up.

Also, many people from African descent have lighter skin. Alyx looks like one of those people, although her eyes look quite like an Oriental person's eyes.

I already talked to Gabe Newell and yes, he said that it was better to make her darker afterwards...

lol ritcH he thinks more than most people. Plus we did that poem in GCSE english, how do we know you didnt nick it from that this year huh. See i can critise without proof too. Isnt it fun.

NO it isnt

Why does everyone have to be so argumentative and critical. He made a inteligent post. Maybe he just wrote it cos clever people do the same. But erm You just copied an ENTIRE POEM to make your point.

And you point is only right to a certain extent. People who dont know asians or blacks people or others maybe shouldent use such terms but I have a large range of friends. Some of who are black some asian some white. And the asians say shidi, which means black man when they joke within themselves. In Fact i will tell you a joke my Black friend told me.

"What do you say when you are sitting in a black room with black walls black doors and an open window and you TV is floating in mid air"

"PUT IT DOWN U BLACK BAST***"

It is funny, as long as you know that the steriotype of black people being violent and theifs is incorrect and uterly stupid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back