Source SDK help thread

Nugget said:
I've created a few prop_static entities in my map such as a computer and a bookcase. In Hammer the entities show up and i can see them perfectly, but when i load up my map in cs:s they dont show up. The bookcase is invisible and i can see its shadow and it has an invisible boundary where it should be, while where the computer should be there is nothing at all.

Same here but with creating a deathmatch map. the props don't even have a boundary box. btw. shadows i´ve turned off.

can (oildrum etc.) any prop that´s available in Hammer 4 build 2959 be used for custom mapping?

thanks.

edit:
http://www.halflife2.net/forums/showthread.php?t=62146 says that it should work when set to prop_physics. i haven´t tested it yet but when using its multiplayer pendant, it won´t show up either.

How can i connect rooms to eachother?

Hey everybody,
im a super noob in mapping
so i need t know how i can connect rooms to eachother
i tried a few things but no luck, can someone pls help me out
im verry thankfull, cya
Striker (tha noob) :bounce:

The easiest way (in the long run) is to make the floor, the celing, and all the walls seperate brushes. Don't make one big box, hollow it out and then go from there, this will only cause you problems.

On another note, when I try to run the materials sample map, I only get the pink and black cherboxes when I try to run it in game for all the cubes that are supposed to have the fancy materials. This is even after I've run buildcubemaps.

Anyone know a solution?

How can i connect rooms to eachother?

sorry but i can' understand that, i still can't connect rooms to eachother, can someone pls explain but in the right way, so i can understand because im a newb mapper, thx
regards Striker

MrStriker,
just build your rooms and the hallway as if it was a game with wooden chumps. sounds silly but it´s nothing else.

or are you talking of separating the two rooms to get better fps? in that case i´m clueless too.

slicer said:
how do i reinstal the SDK?
Go to the SDK Reference Documents and the instructions are there. Read the Fluffy Manual ;)
Click on Play Games -> Source SDK -> SDK Reference Docs and it's under the SDK FAQ. Good luck.

Heres one for ya - even if it does sound extremely n00by (im a noob)

Ive changed the texture of the crowbar, converted it back to vtf. Where do i put the vtf file so that it shows up in game?

Sorry everybody, but Ive tried everything I can from re-installing, to updating, to re-starting etc. I goto the Play Games place and scroll down, but all I see under Tools is: Source Dedicated Server and Dedicated Server. No SDK. Help?

Can someone tell me how to export a model from 3dsmax and get it into hammer? I've tried every tutorial everywhere and still cannot get it to work =/

What is the betting no-one reads this and it just gets ignored like all other questions. But here goes anyway.

I am following an SDK video-tutorial and have followed every step, word for word. When the person creates a room, his comes up fully textured with the default texture but mine comes up with a wire mesh of lines. The same happens when he tells me to add an npc. His is fully textured but mine is just a bunch of blue lines. This is not just happening to me either. My friend who is also making a map is having problems too.

the viewport that shows the map in hammer can be switched to different styles like 3d wireframe, 3d textured and others. side,top and front views ain´t textured at all. hope that helps.

Just did a search for "third-person" and didn't find a thread answering this question, so I thought I'd post it here.

Anyone know a resource detailing how to move the camera to a third-person position for modding? (or if its even possible) I'm putting together a design doc for a mod, and am trying to determine if this could be a toggle feature. Third-person 90% of the time and First-person when it would facilitate better game-play.

chestburster said:
the viewport that shows the map in hammer can be switched to different styles like 3d wireframe, 3d textured and others. side,top and front views ain´t textured at all. hope that helps.

It does help yes, but how do I change between these viewstyles?

Hi,

Actually i make a map for css 64players. But i have a problem....

I make some modifications on my map and i save it ( ctrl+S and Save as...). I launch my map with F9 and the modifications are not brought since the last saving in Hammer, why ?

I change the texture in hammer and i save my map
modification4pw.jpg

I lauch my map with F9 and my texture's modification is not taken into account. it's an old texture before the modification.
ingame5az.jpg

Although I made, I always have the same map and I cannot evolve any more my map
Why ? :(

thanks in advance

lol this is so rediculous. They flame us for posting questoins out side of here, then we post in here and dont get an answer.

krixoff said:
....Although I made, I always have the same map and I cannot evolve any more my map

try to delete the old bsp contained in your games map folder before creating the map file again. not the vmf!

krixoff said:
Hi,

Actually i make a map for css 64players. But i have a problem....

I make some modifications on my map and i save it ( ctrl+S and Save as...). I launch my map with F9 and the modifications are not brought since the last saving in Hammer, why ?

I change the texture in hammer and i save my map
modification4pw.jpg

I lauch my map with F9 and my texture's modification is not taken into account. it's an old texture before the modification.
ingame5az.jpg

Although I made, I always have the same map and I cannot evolve any more my map

thanks in advance
Make sure you're actually running bsp on compile :)

Argh, its been annoying me for a day or 2 now, I cant get the tollbox back, im pretty sure ive gotten it back before but i cant get it back again. The one where you have the option to make a brush, texture ect...its just gone somewhere, could someone help please

how do you change the sky box image from the default wastland one??

arg why cant i use CS props in HL maps, that is soo unecesary!

xiaoaiz said:
Sorry everybody, but Ive tried everything I can from re-installing, to updating, to re-starting etc. I goto the Play Games place and scroll down, but all I see under Tools is: Source Dedicated Server and Dedicated Server. No SDK. Help?
Did you get retail, im not sure if they get it. I know very little about it so try searching goole about it a bit more?

player spawn problems

i don't know why its happening , but everytime i try to test the map my spawn setups never work. i try looking everywhere for help but nothing has been working, read this whole thread and seen one post, but it not work either?, e.g. right now i have one info_player_terrorist and one info_player_counterterrorist, but when i go to scan for errors in Hammer i get a "There is no player start", so i add info_player_start and i have no errors, so i try to test map and it says teams are full..... WTF!!!!! ty for any and all help you guys can give.....

Can someone please assist me? I created my one room, uberly basic map, for CSS, and it all ran fine. Then I figured I needed a buy zone. I went on to the Valve SDK Documentation, but it didn't help me. So I googled, and was lead here.

I saw Badpidgeon's tut for a buyzone, and implemented it. Then It would compile fine( I think ), but it wouldn't load the map, whether I did it Manually or via hammer. I thought damnit, I guess this flawd somehow, and ditched it. Compiled again, and try to run it. Guess what, it still doesn't run :LOL:

http://tjalian.50megs.com/MapFeedback.txt

There's the stuff it gives back to me when compiling it. I won't lie, I'm a newbie, plain and simple, and have no idea how this could help me. Well, I saw something at the top about how it couldn't find something, and something about content_solid :/. I've left pretty much everything at default, and I've only added Ts, Cts and a Few lights. Well, and those buy zones which I deleted :p.

I'd be very appreciative if you could help me out here :).

Thanks

- Tjalian

Sorry to double post, but if an admin can delete this post and the above post seen as they're both oboselete now(I'be figured out the problem :)) that'd be great.

Dizamn.

I = nub.

If I have a big room, how do I carve a smaller hallway into it without leaking into the black abyss? Thanks.

Has anyone else had problems running the Face Poser program? As soon as I open it up, it tells me there was a problem and it needs to close, then gives me the option to send an error report, every damn time...

Domingo'

problem with the newest update

after the update today i tried to compile my map and it said this.." Launcher Error: Failed to load the launcher DLL. The specified module could not be found." Is it something wrong that i did to my map or is it because of the newest update???... anyone who knows please reply.

nevermind i figured it out i just hadn't updated my cs:s yet so it couldn't run

Atomix said:
Dizamn.

I = nub.

If I have a big room, how do I carve a smaller hallway into it without leaking into the black abyss? Thanks.

Use the Clip tool instead.

Maybe 10 seconds of work at most and much cleaner in the end.

After creating my own map, how do I make the map start as soon as I press New Game on the menu in the begining?

I've already created my own mod using the create a mod option, and now i've created a map within my own mod. Now how do you make the mod start as soon as you press New Game on the menu in the begining?

Cheers for any help.

where can I find a tutorial that explains how to use the source SDK and also how to compile source sdk programs using visual basic. net , etc?

I'm being stonewalled when it comes to compiling vehicles. I've tried this with my own vehicle, with the car from Cannonfodder's tutorial, and with the already-decompiled buggy and airboat from the sourcesdk_content folder. In all cases, the level compiles hapily enough, but the

The instruction at "hexnumber" referenced memory at "hexnumber". The memory could not be "read".
Click on OK to terminate the program

error crops up everytime. Has anyone already solved this problem? Any idea what's going wrong? It seems that compiling the smds created by valve with the tool provided, again, by valve, should be a safe and error-free process, but I'm managing to screw something up anyways.

Thanks in advance.

Back