Spawning npcs, require help

Reaction score
Okay i just finished looking over some hl2 cvarlists and all that jazz and since i already beat the game, i figured i'd mess around by creating some large scale firefights between combine and antlions out in the coast level.

I have no problem spawning either combine or antlions, the problem i have is that i cannot spawn in combine soldiers with guns. The pop into existence completely unarmed, only to get ripped up by my antlion horde without so much as a fight.

so far i have been doing this in the console to spawn them in

bind "c" "npc_create npc_combine_s"

then pressing c repeatedly

can anyone give me info on how to spawn in armed combine troops

i know allied resistance fighters pick up weapons along the way, maybe combines do too ?

try to spawn some weapons too and see if they pick them up

You have to use the npc_create_equiptment one, then name the weapon (for example irifle for the rifle or pistol for the pistol)

Note that you have to use npc_create npc_combinewhatever first, then the equiptment code, then spawn enemies again and they will have a weapon, you have to just keep going through the weapons until they work, or look in the cache files and find the weapons names there.

thanks a bunch, now i am able to create starship trooper-esque combinevs antlion battles, thank you

yeah id like to do this too... commands please!

How do i spawn antlions lol

Nice pics Cfur, im created a wall of combines , stuck to ceilings and walls , like jeepers creepers, gotta love the crossbow :D

Anyway, how do u spawn combines with weapons, antlions etc etc, any way to spawn metro cops ? :D

ok, so for combines its
bind "y" "npc_create npc_combine_s npc_create_shotgun" ?
and for antlions?
bind "u" "npc_create npc_antlion" ?

guchi said:
ok, so for combines its
bind "y" "npc_create npc_combine_s npc_create_shotgun" ?
and for antlions?
bind "u" "npc_create npc_antlion" ?

I dont think you can spawn antlions like that. I always do this on the Highway 17 level and on that the Antlions spawn when you walk on the sand...

ok well bind "u" "npc_create npc_antlion" worked!

im going to go and try bind "i" "npc_create npc_strider" :D

ok i found out that "shotgun" is the incorrert name, so im gunna try "irifle" instead...

heres a list of commands:

bind "y" "npc_create npc_combine_s npc_create_equipment_irifle" (havent tried it yet)
bind "u" "npc_create npc_antlion"
bind "i" "npc_create npc_strider" (spawns underground)
bind "h" "npc_create npc_zombie"
bind "j" "npc_create npc_headcrab"

and heres one screenshot:
www.vanilj.net/putsch/zombies.jpg
zombies own antlions

update:

bind "insert key" "npc_create npc_combine_s" (combine soldier without a weapon)
bind "insert key" "npc_create npc_antlion"
bind "insert key" "npc_create npc_strider" (spawns underground)
bind "insert key" "npc_create npc_zombie"
bind "insert key" "npc_create npc_headcrab"
bind "insert key" "npc_create npc_barnacle" (spawns underground and is generaly wierd)
bind "insert key" "npc_create npc_barney"
bind "insert key" "npc_create npc_alyx
bind "insert key" "npc_create npc_vortigaunt" (has ALOT of dialogue, and even shoots electrical bursts! maybe they where supposed to fight in the game?)
bind "insert key" "npc_create npc_eli"
bind "insert key" "npc_create npc_kleiner"
bind "insert key" "npc_create npc_rollermine"
bind "insert key" "npc_create npc_dog"

missing:

spawning a combine with a weapon
different types of combines
combine dropship
combine gunship
scanner type 1 and 2
lamaar
resistance fighters
civilians
poison zombie
poison headcrab
fast zombie
fast headcrab
antlion guard
man hack
helicopter
Ichthyosaur

i cant be the only one interested in this can i?? post!

bind "insert key" "npc_create npc_helicopter" (spawns underground)
bind "insert key" "npc_create npc_manhack"
bind "insert key" "npc_create npc_Ichthyosaur" (spawns underground, no animation)

its really fun having zombie vs antlion vs manhack vs vortigaunt fights!

is there really noone out there who finds this useful?

Have you tried spawning gunships or striders when you're up in the air? (IE using 'noclip' or equivalent command).

czrsink said:
Have you tried spawning gunships or striders when you're up in the air? (IE using 'noclip' or equivalent command).

dosnt work, you still have to point at the ground, and they still spawn in the ground =\

To spawn a combine with a MP7 type: npc_create_equiptment weapon_smg1 or weapon_smg2 (for another weapon, havent tried that one)

before you type the command to spawn the combines, type npc_create_equipment and then a weapon command.

The ones that I know work are
weapon_smg1
weapon_AR2
weapon_shotgun

So basicly type npc_create_equipment weapon_AR2 and then hit your combine bind key and they will spawn with irifles.

guchi said:
update:

bind "insert key" "npc_create npc_combine_s" (combine soldier without a weapon)
bind "insert key" "npc_create npc_antlion"
bind "insert key" "npc_create npc_strider" (spawns underground)
bind "insert key" "npc_create npc_zombie"
bind "insert key" "npc_create npc_headcrab"
bind "insert key" "npc_create npc_barnacle" (spawns underground and is generaly wierd)
bind "insert key" "npc_create npc_barney"
bind "insert key" "npc_create npc_alyx
bind "insert key" "npc_create npc_vortigaunt" (has ALOT of dialogue, and even shoots electrical bursts! maybe they where supposed to fight in the game?)
bind "insert key" "npc_create npc_eli"
bind "insert key" "npc_create npc_kleiner"
bind "insert key" "npc_create npc_rollermine"
bind "insert key" "npc_create npc_dog"

missing:

spawning a combine with a weapon
different types of combines
combine dropship
combine gunship
scanner type 1 and 2
lamaar
resistance fighters
civilians
poison zombie
poison headcrab
fast zombie
fast headcrab
antlion guard
man hack
helicopter
Ichthyosaur

i cant be the only one interested in this can i?? post!

Antlion Guard is npc_antlionguard

did not have the time to try it out yet, but how 'bout:

antlion_grub
assasin
attack_helicopter
barnacle
bullsquid
citizen
cremator
crow
env_headcrabcanister
fast_zombie
headcrap (headcrap_fast or xx_poison)
hydra
ichthyosaur
manhack
metropolice
overwatch
roller
scanner
turret_floor (xx_wall)
vort
waste_scanner
zombie (xx_poison)

(thaks gcfScape)

c ya guys

ps
did someone mention this is the best game ever?

personally i begin spawning a huge taskforce of combine soldiers all around and on top of the the houses that dot the coast in the buggy drive level. Then i spawn crazy ass amounts of antlions and proceed to throw craploads of bugbaits at the combine soldiers. Just like freaking starship troopers

Now i want resistance fighters vs combines... anyone know of how to spawn resistance fighters with weapons?

thx.

This is turning into quite a productive thread

Does anyone know how to spawn user weapons?

It would be great if you could spawn this shit in CSS :D

very cool stuff guys.
trying alot of combos right now to see if reisistence fightrs work.
post here if you come up with something,
ive checked the console commands and I think you can configure the resistance fighters to follow you once you spawn them in, seems there is a specific console command to do this, forgot it atm but its something like npc_followplayer 0/1 or something like that ill check it when I get home.

Hickz said:
very cool stuff guys.
trying alot of combos right now to see if reisistence fightrs work.
post here if you come up with something,
ive checked the console commands and I think you can configure the resistance fighters to follow you once you spawn them in, seems there is a specific console command to do this, forgot it atm but its something like npc_followplayer 0/1 or something like that ill check it when I get home.

So you got resistance to spawn? With weapons?
Tell me the cmd plz!

Manhacks always win every battle!

Id attach the battle but the max filesize is shite on this forum

not yet, im trying to find out the resistence fighter npc name. but i cant get it tried alot of different combo's, citizen works, but its not a resistence fighter.

I've already figured this all out, and it's been on the HL2 world forums for a day or so... I guess I'll post it here, since you guys are still trying to figure it out...

Alright, basically in console I bound these two things...

Code:
bind b "npc_create_equipment weapon_ar2; wait; npc_create npc_combine_s"
bind n "npc_create_equipment weapon_shotgun; wait; npc_create npc_citizen"

Then, I loaded up a map, and started spawning them all over the place, and it slowed down my performance a little in the open areas, but it was hilarious to just get a whole bunch of teammates following me, and then spawning a bunch of combine soldiers in front of me, and running away and watching them duke it out.

NPC List
Allies:
Ant Lion Guard: npc_antlionguard
Citizen: npc_citizen
Barney: npc_barney

Enemies:
Combine Soldier: npc_combine_s
Zombie: npc_zombie
Fast Zombie: npc_fastzombie
Poison Zombie: npc_poisonzombie
Headcrab: npc_headcrab
Fast Headcrab: npc_headcrab_fast
Poison Headcrab: npc_headcrab_poison
Ant Lion: npc_antlion
Ant Lion Gaurd: npc_antlion
Manhack: npc_manhack

Weapon List
weapon_pistol
weapon_357
weapon_shotgun
weapon_smg1
weapon_ar2
weapon_crossbow
weapon_rpg

To create your own, just use the npc_create_equipment command, to let the game know which weapon you want your NPC to spawn with. Then, load up an NPC with the npc_create command.

I haven't tested all of the weapon combinations and I'm pretty sure Zombies aren't going to equip RPG's, so use this at your own risk.

EDIT: Sorry, forgot to add this, but the reason I bound them to buttons, was because you have to be looking at a location that an NPC can spawn, so you can't spawn NPC's in midair, or in walls (manhacks are an exception), your crosshair has to be pointed at a clear area on a floor surface. (Which is also why Striders don't work, they spawn with their entire lower-body underground.)

theres a console command called "list models" and it lists all the models (really?) that you have loaded, so i found some interesting ones, but i havent tried them yet...

combine_scanner
gman
gman_high
male_02 all the way up to 09
female_02 all the way up to 09
police
breen
gunship (i tried this, still dosnt work)
mossman

now the thing that strikes me is the vortigaunts, you never see them fight, yet they have ai and can fight (both ranged and melee)

This thread should be pinned. Keep us updated. This is very good stuff.

ok figured it out.
Heres a intresting little tid bit,
citizens you spawn in similar to combine solldiers, have to designate the weapon first in order for them to have a weapon.
now heres the really cool thing
You can get the citizens to follow you and obey your commands by imputing
npc_citizen_auto_player_squad 1
basicaly it will make it so any citizen you spawn in follows you on any level just like in the end of the game.
j

Doofus said:
I've already figured this all out, and it's been on the HL2 world forums for a day or so... I guess I'll post it here, since you guys are still trying to figure it out...
thx doofus..but where are the resistance fighters?
Or do u just use citizens with weapons?

Hickz said:
ok figured it out.
Heres a intresting little tid bit,
citizens you spawn in similar to combine solldiers, have to designate the weapon first in order for them to have a weapon.
now heres the really cool thing
You can get the citizens to follow you and obey your commands by imputing
npc_citizen_auto_player_squad 1
basicaly it will make it so any citizen you spawn in follows you on any level just like in the end of the game.
j
sweet!!

Back