Spicy Food Tolerance

Raziaar

I Hate Custom Titles
Reaction score
Hey guys. I want to ask about spicy foods and tolerance to them.

I haven't been able to find anything that describes exactly how tolerance to spicy foods work. I've read all about how and why capsaicin produces the burning sensation it does however.

Is it something physical that the body does which develops a tolerance to the irritation of the spicy foods, or is it merely a conditioning fact that people are able to tolerate the same level of pain?

I've never been able to tolerate spicy food very well, and so as a result have typically not enjoyed them. I have found some to have a really agreeable flavor though and I want to be able to pursue the enjoyment of these foods, but in order to do so, I will have to develop a tolerance.

So right now I'm starting with jalapeño peppers. Pretty mild really, but it seems to be one of the most common spice used in spicy foods, at least here in the states.

And lastly, how developed is your tolerance to spicy foods? What's the spiciest type of pepper you can consume without experiencing too much issue?

EDIT: I also wonder if developing a tolerance will prevent me from feeling sick to my stomach after consuming a certain type of spice that I have yet to identify. I don't know what type of spice it is, but after consuming it, I feel quite ill, as a result of the spice. Not even so much the heat, just a general feeling of not being well.

My highest would be Belachan or Chilli padi.
8-2.jpg

Chilli Padi

sambal+belacan.JPG

Sambal Belachan

Capsicum is spicy? Had Jalapeno peppers once, didnt taste all that spicy. It was in Chilli Con, so would that have drained out the spice? <3 Spicy foods.

Capsicum is spicy? Had Jalapeno peppers once, didnt taste all that spicy. It was in Chilli Con, so would that have drained out the spice? <3 Spicy foods.

Man, that second image you posted looks kind of gross. LOL

Anyway, I meant Capsaicin not capsicum, sorry. Capsaicin being what gives peppers their spice. Jalapenos being very low on the Scoville Scale.

I have a high tolerance for spicy. I can eat jalapeno peppers (they vary from mild to very hot) like it's candy. however I'll usually pay for it later on in the form of massive heartburn or firey a-hole syndrome the morning after

I imagine both forms of tolerance may be involved, but I'm really not sure. I know that some tolerance can develop on the molecular level, at least with dosages and treatments in some experiments.

As an aside, did you know that researchers are trying to develop better analgesic drugs? It's more specific to pain signals than most painkillers and so may be able to work without causing numbness.
It also promises some useful cancer treatments. It can cause cells in some cancers to apoptose (regulated suicide of 'bad' cells, something cancers necessarily lack) and inhibits growth of others.
It's generally very good to have spicy peppers in your regular diet.

I can stand pretty hot food. I managed Thai cuisine cooked in Sri Lanka rather well.

I ate chips and salsa for breakfast. =)

Unless someone offers other reasoning, I'm just going to assume that plants evolved to be spicy because an advantage they gained where some predators wouldn't eat them, and it's even possible that they give animals the shits, making the seeds that much better spread out in 'fertilizer', which ensured the plant's survival over the centuries.

My tolerance is above normal, but there are some peppers that are so hot that it will be painful. If, when I'm eating, all I taste is hot, and can't taste the food, that to me is too spicy.

i have a better time with extremely sour food. when i worked at the bar i used to eat the lemons like they were oranges, love it.

whenever i can find something spicy, i eat it. as of yet i havent found anything i cant handle. the same goes with sour stuff, the more intense it is, the more ill enjoy it probably.

whenever i can find something spicy, i eat it. as of yet i havent found anything i cant handle. the same goes with sour stuff, the more intense it is, the more ill enjoy it probably.

my wiener is spicy. and my throat yogurt has been called somewhat sour.

ahhhh, gay jokes...serving the internets immature users since 1886

my wiener is spicy. and my throat yogurt has been called somewhat sour.

ahhhh, gay jokes...serving the internets immature users since 1886

if you wanna move this to the pm box, ill do that.

I ate chips and salsa for breakfast. =)

Unless someone offers other reasoning, I'm just going to assume that plants evolved to be spicy because an advantage they gained where some predators wouldn't eat them, and it's even possible that they give animals the shits, making the seeds that much better spread out in 'fertilizer', which ensured the plant's survival over the centuries.

My tolerance is above normal, but there are some peppers that are so hot that it will be painful. If, when I'm eating, all I taste is hot, and can't taste the food, that to me is too spicy.

Apparently it serves as a protection against mammals, since only mammals feel the spice. Birds do not, and as a result they will consume and scatter the seeds.

It probably helps if you ate spicey foods all your life. I did and I suppose I developed a tolerance to peppers because of it. I ate curries in Thailand that were so spicey that even most locals found them too hot. The only effect it has on me is vocal. Don't know how that works exactly but lots of peppers give me a coarse voice. Think Marlon Brando in The Godfather.

I have a high tolerance for spicy. I can eat jalapeno peppers (they vary from mild to very hot) like it's candy. however I'll usually pay for it later on in the form of massive heartburn or firey a-hole syndrome the morning after

Yes, fiery assholes are no fun.

It probably helps if you ate spicey foods all your life. I did and I suppose I developed a tolerance to peppers because of it. I ate curries in Thailand that were so spicey that even most locals found them too hot. The only effect it has on me is vocal. Don't know how that works exactly but lots of peppers give me a coarse voice. Think Marlon Brando in The Godfather.

Gives me a severe disadvantage then. If it takes many years to cultivate. :(

Anyway. One thing I've noticed as I have eaten the jalapeños, is that they have a superb appetite suppressant ability. I wonder why that is.

I love spicy stuff and I definitely have developed a tolerance over the course of my life. Just eat them. Put tabasco on everything, try hotter and hotter peppers, always get the hottest hot sauce or salsa etc.

dd5f0e939d83933572f924737d017758.jpg

This is my favorite hot sauce. It's not super spicy, and the flavor goes well with just about anything. It's a good way to get started on having a little spice in your food.

I bought some of that stuff a while ago. Sometimes I put a couple drops on foods that don't taste so good, or have been microwaved. It tends to mask that, but I normally don't care for the taste. I'm not sure why they give you 17 ounces when a few drops is spicy enough for a whole meal.

In my opinion, the best way to add some spice to your food is to add some spice to your food! Freshly cut peppers are ****ing amazing!

Personally, I like Pepperoncini. It's similar to jalepeno, but has a little more flavor and a little less 'heat'.

200px-Pepperoncini.jpg

I'm not sure, but I think this is what Papa John's puts in every carry-out box of pizza. It has an incredibly appetizing aroma.

Pepperoncini_32oz_11.jpg

peperone (plural peperoni) like other sweet varieties of peppers, while the term peperoncini (singular peperoncino) is used for hotter varieties of chili peppers

I'm sure it's just like drinking spirits. When you first try them, they burn your throat and are very difficult to drink neat. The more you drink them the more you get used to it and the less it affects you. These days I can down scotch like it's water, but I couldn't always.

Tabasco_sauce.jpg

Good on everything from grilled cheese to ramen. I literally douse my food in the stuff but you might want to stick to just a few drops since otherwise I doubt you'll taste much more than the spiciness.

If you eat hamburgers or fries, you can really add an interesting kick by mixing a little Tabasco in your ketchup.

There are two theories that I know of to account for the tolerance of spicy foods, both of them purely physical. The first is a desensitization similar in the way that tolerance to drugs is obtained and the second one is the ligand that attaches to the receptor causes and overbalance of calcium ions and kills it. To obtain greater tolerance to spicy food requires someone to eat more spicy food. I would guess that developing a tolerance to spicy foods probably would not prevent you from feeling ill after eating the unknown spice.

Tabasco sauce is awesome. Even after you forget you got some on your hands and touch your eye. One of my favorite things to put Tabasco on is peanut butter, strange but its tastes great.

My friend is married to a Taiwanese girl and she is a crazy chilli head. Every dish is fully loaded with about 5 or 6 peppers in the mix (it's great). If she would get away with putting them on breakfast cereal I'm pretty sure she would.

when you live in New Mexico for awhile you get used to spicy food. You can put green chili on anything.

Tabasco is disgusting. It's nothing but vinegar...

edit: The same goes for most American hot sauces.

swan song I love that stuff too. I use that when I want more sauce and less spicy (if I put a ton of tabasco on ramen it literally just tastes like solid tabasco, so I usually use red hot instead). Red Hot is also excellent for burgers.

Sambal is my absolute favourite spicy condiment. There are so many varieties. Tastes best on Asian food, but can be also very yummy on meat.

sambal6.jpg

If you eat hamburgers or fries, you can really add an interesting kick by mixing a little Tabasco in your ketchup.

Such a great combination. Basically any meat tastes good that way.

Tabasco sauce is awesome. Even after you forget you got some on your hands and touch your eye.

Pissing is worse. Chop up peppers, forget that you did, and go to the loo. Very painful.

dd5f0e939d83933572f924737d017758.jpg

This is my favorite hot sauce. It's not super spicy, and the flavor goes well with just about anything. It's a good way to get started on having a little spice in your food.

I see it's made with cocks. There's an image of a cock there. So what tyguy said has some truth to it!

There are two theories that I know of to account for the tolerance of spicy foods, both of them purely physical. The first is a desensitization similar in the way that tolerance to drugs is obtained and the second one is the ligand that attaches to the receptor causes and overbalance of calcium ions and kills it. To obtain greater tolerance to spicy food requires someone to eat more spicy food. I would guess that developing a tolerance to spicy foods probably would not prevent you from feeling ill after eating the unknown spice.

Tabasco sauce is awesome. Even after you forget you got some on your hands and touch your eye. One of my favorite things to put Tabasco on is peanut butter, strange but its tastes great.

Great first post. Thanks!

And double post... oops.

Hey swan song.

Apparently it's low on the heat. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank's_Red_Hot#How_hot_is_it.3F

But no doubt probably flavorful.

I tried Tabasco sauce once (I think someone jokingly told me to put it on something, probably eggs, and I was like "OK whatever") and thought it was way too spicy. So I guess my spicy food tolerance is not great.

I can eat a lot of Frank's red hot sauce though. It's really not spicy at all.

I heard Chile pequin is really spicy, although it's lower on the Scoville scale than habaneros.

I tried Tabasco sauce once (I think someone jokingly told me to put it on something, probably eggs, and I was like "OK whatever") and thought it was way too spicy. So I guess my spicy food tolerance is not great.

I can eat a lot of Frank's red hot sauce though. It's really not spicy at all.

I heard Chile pequin is really spicy, although it's lower on the Scoville scale than habaneros.

You have to remember though, habaneros are ****ing hot compared to jalapenos.

Also hey... does anybody experience the kick of endorphins that people speak of when eating spicy foods... that makes them feel good?

I don't get that at all when I eat something hot.

Frank's isn't hot at all, it just has a good flavor. I definitely get some kind of chemical response to hot food, since despite sweating and being generally alarmed in the mouth at how spicy something is I am loving every second of it.

Tabasco is also notably awesome for being the only spicy thing to make it to space:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tabasco_sauce#Tabasco_in_space

Frank's isn't hot at all, it just has a good flavor. I definitely get some kind of chemical response to hot food, since despite sweating and being generally alarmed in the mouth at how spicy something is I am loving every second of it.

Tabasco is also notably awesome for being the only spicy thing to make it to space:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tabasco_sauce#Tabasco_in_space

For me I don't enjoy it. I focus entirely on the pain in my mouth and on my tongue, and I have to constantly bring in to cool my mouth off.

Dont really have spicy food, so when i attempted to basically drink tabasco sauce you can probably guess what happened next.

Maybe it's something with Canadians, but this is how I am, too.

Raz, you don't drink, do you? I always find that being drunk make me more tolerant to spicy stuff. Might wanna experiment with that ;)

That Wiki is pretty interesting. I didn't know the US military was so fond of its Tabasco. I thought this was pretty cool.

I don't drink no. Not usually anyway. I don't like the taste of most alcohol I've had. Some I can stand. And I mostly don't like how it makes me feel after drinking alcohol. As I've joked on the forums before, it makes my sphincter feel all loose. lol

Back