Steam Mirrors Here

Originally posted by Nippy_Kangaroo
the new client you will be able to download is for peeps who dont have steam installed yet like myself, if you have steam beta already installed it will update itself like it says on steam website
aahaha owned.

I would like a link to where it says steam will be out tomorrow. I cant find it on the steam forums or on the steampowerd website.

Originally posted by Nippy_Kangaroo
owned? eh? wtf you talkin bout?.... u on drugs or something ROFL
you owned the ****ing idiots saying that you need a new client.. either client will update itself the same.

Originally posted by wormstrangler
From the #Steam IRC channel.

Some nobody said something about steam on irc.

Good job kid on being gullible.

<DutchTiger> Please read: Steam will need the new installer when it gets up in order to update the platform files to Final. CSNATION IS a reliable source.

from valve's #steam on gamesnet...the official steam irc support channel.

these guys posted the delay info before the websites updated...either a really lucky guess or they have a connection to valve...

i dunno they could be wrong...but i disagree with your "evidence" and i'm pretty sure that "dont worry your old client will update" thing is for the beta version...

links to delay info:

http://csnation.counter-strike.net/

http://collective.valve-erc.com/index.php?news=1063217663-12843600

Important Steam/HLDS Information
Alfred, of Valve Software, has sent out important news to alert everyone about Steam's official release:

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Timeline:
We will be releasing the dedicated server binaries later today. Tomorrow we will be releasing the client. In a couple of weeks we will make this update mandatory.

What is it:
This release is converting all users to Steam. When you install the client you will need to have a valid HL or CStrike CD-Key. Dedicated servers will need to create accounts but will NOT need to enter a cd-key. At no point will anyone have to enter credit card details. In the future there will be the option to purchase the "Platinum Pack" via Steam if you don't currently own a copy.

This release consists of:
Counter-Strike 1.6, Half-Life, TeamFortress Classic, DMC, Ricochet and Day-of-Defeat 1.0.

What changed:
Linux Dedicated Server
Dedicated Server
Team Fortress Classic
Counter-Strike

Steam Issues:
Q: Can I use Steam with a modem?
A: Yes, steam will work for modem users.

Q: Is WON going away?
A: Yes, once we have completed the rollover we will slowly remove parts of the WON system as they become obsolete.

Q: Has the net code been changed since the beta?
A: No, apart from small bug fixes.

Q: Will my existing 3rd party programs work (i.e Admin Mod, CDeath, ...).
A: In general yes, all existing 3rd party programs can still work under Steam. The individual authors of each program will need to inform their users of any install directory or configuration changes.

Q: Do I need to alter my firewall setup?
A: Steam requires some extra ports to be opened for outgoing access, read this page for details.

Q: What happens to my current banlist?
A: Everyone will be getting assigned a new Steam ID and it will not be possible to convert old banlists.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From steampowered forum

Originally posted by Anwar
Some nobody said something about steam on irc.

Good job kid on being gullible.

I'd like to know how you expect to log into the Steam beta as your user name won't exist anymore.

Erik Johnson said that you need to download the Client again. That page just hasn't been updated fully.

We shall see who is right when it gets released.

I will be drinking some :cheers: because I will be right ;)

Originally posted by Feath
I'd like to know how you expect to log into the Steam beta as your user name won't exist anymore.

Erik Johnson said that you need to download the Client again. That page just hasn't been updated fully.

I saw Erik say it too, but can't access the steam forums to prove this(these) guys wrong.

What it really comes down to is me reading the steam website pointing out a fact on it and people here going way out of their way to call me all sorts of names and a lier. When they find the facts so far against them they give a quote from some guy on an irc channel to back up their opnions. A non-valve employee and not an official release. It is safe to say the steam website is official. Fact vs Fiction. I dont give a rats ass if you think it is the way it will be. It is the way valve said it will be and I pointed that out. I have no inside info at all and I dont pretend to. I just quoted valve.

no point discussing it anymore until someone has more definitive proof

except that...the IRC guy isn't just "some guy"...

#steam is the official channel for steam support...it says so on the steam forum

http://steampowered.com/forums/announcement.php?s=&forumid=14

=========================

The IRC channel #Steam is now open for business on the GamesNet Network. Stop on by for support, to help, or just to idle. This should help expidite any problems you find with Steam or any of its Games!

Stop by and say hi!
Channel: #Steam
Server: west.gamesnet.net For Steam chat idle in #Steam-hangout

=========================

but 2 of the ops in the chan have said the opposite thing about the update thing.

one says YOU NEED THE NEW CLIENT

the other says "we'll have to wait and see"

just like in here :p

I could join it now and say HL2 is delayed.

It will not make it official

I really care less if I need to download a 500kb file or not I just dont think it will need to be that way. The old steam like any rpg will update itself before it even asks you to log on. It can do anything it likes. And I do remember something about the old version being converted into the new one by moving files around to save space.

This subject is not that important to me I just dont like to be called a lier unless I have done so.

actually you couldn't join right now and say anything

the channel is moderated...meaning only ops and people with mode +v can talk...and it was an op who said it...which means it wasn't just "any guy" it was an op in valve's offical steam support channel.

that's a bit more reliable than "some guy on IRC"

and nobody called you a "lier" because that's not a word.

steamid's won't mean shit...lots of newbs will have low ones...it's not like the old wonids where low meant you weren't a newb.

EDIT: this is the "shuffling files" thing you were probably thinking of:

"The client can use an existing 1.5 install to minimize the content that needs to be downloaded"

Originally posted by Redsniper
Still nothing on TRUSTED news sites or STEAMPOWERED site.

Erm, you do know that Chris Bokitch works for Valve don't you?

What the hell is the matter with all you kids? I'm sure I speak for the majority when I say "enough with the flame wars". If you guys were sitting in the same room with each other I highly doubt you'd be saying such things to one another. Just because your behind a computer gives you the ballz to act like a jack@ss? Or somehow your "better" than the rest?

For the ppl that fit this description "You know who you are". Go outside and run your @ss around the block. Get outta the house. Get some other interests for gods sake. This forum and other forums don't need your kind.

Grow the hell up. I know that's near impossible for many of you but listen to this...

Back when I was a teen I woulda loved comin' in a forum such as this one and flamin' the hell outta ppl. Being mean to other ppl was my nature. But, when you grow up and mature (some of you never will) you'll realize how stupid this kind of behaviour really is.

Think before you post. Don't be an a-hole.

I don't care who he is, his site is not the official site.

Like I said

Originally posted by Redsniper
Still nothing on TRUSTED news sites or STEAMPOWERED site.

my Steam has not been working since Sunday.. when i run it, it does not load.. i open task manager and it always shows as "Steam not responding" so ultimately, i have to end task..

this means i will have to download the new installer right?

also.. do i have to un-install this current Steam i have before i install the new Steam? hm.. its probably best to un-install it but just wanted to know anyway..

thanks

Originally posted by Feath

If there is an update it downloads it BEFORE YOU LOG IN! Sheesh!

well it wont people a problem till tomaro. someone will eat the hatt for being wrong

Originally posted by slappyJmarsden
What the hell is the matter with all you kids? I'm sure I speak for the majority when I say "enough with the flame wars". If you guys were sitting in the same room with each other I highly doubt you'd be saying such things to one another. Just because your behind a computer gives you the ballz to act like a jack@ss? Or somehow your "better" than the rest?

For the ppl that fit this description "You know who you are". Go outside and run your @ss around the block. Get outta the house. Get some other interests for gods sake. This forum and other forums don't need your kind.

Grow the hell up. I know that's near impossible for many of you but listen to this...

Back when I was a teen I woulda loved comin' in a forum such as this one and flamin' the hell outta ppl. Being mean to other ppl was my nature. But, when you grow up and mature (some of you never will) you'll realize how stupid this kind of behaviour really is.

Think before you post. Don't be an a-hole.

THIS IS SO TRUE. People will say almost anything online. Those people are sad and need help but they wont get it...

I'd just like to say don't believe anyone in IRC... cmon now, I could join #steam and say "Read: HL2 is delayed until November"- and I think it's already been proven in the past that the ops have no idea what they are talking about. They only provide help with Steam. They know nothing more than anyone else as far as future events are concerned.

Back