Striders?

R

romeo0201

I tried search with strider but that was basically a butt loads of threads. I have seen the video and was wondering what the people think of it and how you think it will play in the game, like you think you can blow it up or have to use map to destroy or some other method. Secondly what thinks you of the strider attacks and defensiveative caipabilities. Do you think the strider will work in conjucation with the combine soldiers or do you think it will operate alone. All thoughts will help?

Nobody (save people that we DON'T want to hear spoilers from) really knows. Given that we see the striders on patrol with the metrocops, and other large beast thingies work with them in battle too (the alien gunship) I'd have to guess that, yeah, we'll probably see them working with the combine.

The strider is part of the Combie Armada. Of course it will work with them.

Truth be told, no movies ever show a strider dying, so it probably takes alot of work to bring one down.

Striders are allergic to water, so you need to whip out the good ol' Super Soaker to take them down! :)

Yeah, I think they will be working with the combine (they are combine as far as I know) and basically, they do alot of damage and they can take alot of damage. You will most likely be able to take it down with guns (why would everyone be wasting ammo) and by some other means I suppose.

Maybe everyone is wasting ammo becuase they don't yet know you can't take it down with guns. In the 2004 vid they put like... 12 rockets into one and it remains walking.. Maybe you need to trip them or something.. :p

I saw in E3 video if you hurt one enough it will crouch extremely low as a defensiveate measure and then run and try to go and find cover. It was 2004 E3 in one of the 2 strider encounters. Looks very fun to me. I cannot wait to take on those bad boys.

an EMP or the Manipulator's Alt-Fire to take it down. Aim for the legs.

Striders are the last boss of HL2. Didn't you play HL2d? That game is full of spoilers! :3

haha, just the last boss of that game. That didn't even have anything new compared to what you learn from the vids.

How many striders total do you think you will face? (at least 4)

Shuzer said:
Striders are allergic to water, so you need to whip out the good ol' Super Soaker to take them down! :)

Oh noes! beta spoiler !!11

ahem. I think they didn't show them dying in the videos because it will be a spectacular thing to watch! imagine those things crashing to earth!
:imu:

Shuzer said:
Heheh, maybe if they replaced Laidlaw with M. Night Shynamalamalan. :p

Mechagodzilla said:
Heheh, maybe if they replaced Laidlaw with M. Night Shynamalamalan. :p

lol, making a mockery of Shyamalan's last name is almost as fun as mocking Canadian currency ;) :LOL:

Umm, why is this thread here? You said yourself there were alot of Strider threads!

Too lazy eh?

Feh.

I don't know about all that stuff but check out this totally awesome picture of Gordon kicking strider and alien ass!!!!!

Gordon_Freeman_HL2.jpg

hmmmm. . . interesting

what is he beating on anyway?

Hazar Dakiri said:
hmmmm. . . interesting

what is he beating on anyway?

Looks like one of those barnacle-things, doesn't it?

hahaha

now that I look at it it does look like a barnacle.

but why would it be on the ground?

Maybe he just grabbed it, jerked it down from the ceiling and started bashing it... who knows? :)

Maybe after he shot it with his l337 IR rifle it fell down and he was so pissed off at them (cause they really are annoying little f*ckers) that he just starts beating the shit out of it for no reason.

Remember guys, Gordon is a total badass and doesn't let anything get past him, he keeps it real!

CrazyHarij said:
Old pic that.. anry*** btw

I checked out his site and no more HL2 pics :( Does anyone know any other cool HL2 fanart? Something like this or is this the best out there?

No, it's a bug-thing, the head is the same, it's just on its back.

Silverstreak said:
I checked out his site and no more HL2 pics :( Does anyone know any other cool HL2 fanart? Something like this or is this the best out there?

Anry is one of the most talented people to frequent sites like deviantart.com (which btw has lots of them), he even got commissioned to do promotional work for painkiller.. so yeah.. I'd say that's as good as you're going to get.

On the issue of striders, I don't think they can be killed early on in the game.. they'd just take a certain amount of damage, and then scurry away - Leading you to believe that they're badly hurt. Although you could later kill them.. once you're supposed to have enough firepower.

The anry pic shows Gordon bashing an antlion, from the antlion's POV.
I don't have the heart to inform him that he got the blood colour wrong. :p

I'm thinking that Vavle may have increased the strider's durability for the demo. They took an awful lot of shots and barely slowed at all.

Agreed.

Valve themselves have said how they have changed stuff just for the e3 vids (character facial animation exaggerations for one) so it would seem likely that they have bolstered the strength of the striders to make sure a long firefight was able to play out. OR.....

maybe there is a new weapon we don't know about that you get later on that spits a huge web net over the strider which causes them to tumble....

Yeah, that seems right.

It better not take more than 4 missiles to take them down!

It will be interesting once their legs collapse and the physics engine shows the ragdoll of a strider! So many ways it could fall and and stuff it could land on you know....

denlife7 that is not called for. The rules of this forum say no HL2 leak info. I was reprimanded for the same such incident and reference. Please delete or edit your post.

I can tell you right now that *weapon* was/is not in the leak.

Silverstreak said:
I can tell you right now that *weapon* was/is not in the leak.

I am not to speak on it again, except that I was reprimanded for same thing. I do not want to self-incriminate so I will not go to prove the points.

Thanks Patsy

Geez, just be quiet about it, all of you, you're making it worse. If you want to complain about a post, use the report to mod button, don't argue with each other about the leak.

lol thats funny mecha,and i bet 80% of the people here dont know who m night shaymalan is.

M Night Shaymalan:
6th Sense.
Unbreakable.
Signs.

That new movie of his which I cannot get the title out of my head..

Gee, I can't even spell his name properly when I try :|

Anyhow, that's getting a tad bit off topic. I still subscribe to the theory that there will be some means of tripping the strider in the full game

Maybe, but even if you trip it I'm sure it could get back up. I mean in the e3 2004 demo it easily chucks that car perfectly with both legs. That was cool.

What about those moving mines in the demo that suck the power from Gordons buggy? maybe you get some of those and use them to decapacitate the striders kinda like Snarks from HL1

Actually, thats a pretty neat idea. Never even thought of that! :)

Back