Submit your questions for Gabe Interview

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got the best question:

HL2.net staff, when the hell is this thing taking place?

couple questions I tried through email, never got an answer...

Can gravity be changed in game in response to charcter actions or other i/o variables? Can it exist at different levevls within a map, perhaps changing over a distance... Could multiple gravity forces be created, and certain objects assigned to be affected by each force?? That question might not be clear, I was thinking about how cool it would be to create a map based on this:
Relatividad.jpg

Can maps be created that do not (can not) exist linearly in the grid map? I.E. A room where the door out leads into the same room, but doesn't have any transitions such as 'portal' or 'teleport' effects.

Will there be a rocket pack? That would be cool.

-Phision

Originally posted by Axxron
Is there any limitations in the Source? If so, name them.

LoL!!!!

<Sarcasm>
Yes please name all limitations publicly in a forum so that other developers can implement those features source don't have so the other devs games can put HL2 to shame.
</Sarcasm>

Does Source support heightmaps for terrain generation? Like BF42 makes use of?

Question: Will HL2 bring some tools built-in for server administration like Unreal Series?

Originally posted by Phisionary
couple questions I tried through email, never got an answer...

Can gravity be changed in game in response to charcter actions or other i/o variables? Can it exist at different levevls within a map, perhaps changing over a distance... Could multiple gravity forces be created, and certain objects assigned to be affected by each force?? That question might not be clear, I was thinking about how cool it would be to create a map based on this:
Relatividad.jpg

Can maps be created that do not (can not) exist linearly in the grid map? I.E. A room where the door out leads into the same room, but doesn't have any transitions such as 'portal' or 'teleport' effects.

Will there be a rocket pack? That would be cool.

-Phision

That's a pretty cool question, especially when it's cleared up by the image - I don't think it'd have much place in this interview though.

Please do email him again when he's answering multiplayer questions because I'd really like to know the answer.

ok for mod reasons if there is a fire will it in anyway be able to be put out? or if you take the anti-gravitygun and put something in the fire and pull it out will it be in flames? if not why?

Originally posted by SpaNsK
Question: Will HL2 bring some tools built-in for server administration like Unreal Series?

Excellent question. Let's take it further:

1. Will HL2 include an in-game GUI interface for extensive server administration (ie, kicking, banning, map rotation editing, etc).

2. Will banning be handled by a user's IP address, or much more preferrably, by their Steam account/HL2 key?

3. Without disclosing technical specifics (for obvious reasons), what measures have been taken to ensure HL2 keys cannot be generated or "spoofed"? Is there a database of "live" keys that is maintained, so that if a user generates a key using the correct algorithm, it still needs to be matched to a live key in said database?

Profiles

Will there be support for multiple user profiles (ala Battlefield 1942 or Halo)? Will these be handled through Steam? Portable through Steam? What about computers w/o internet connections?

Okay, since it hasn't been said in a while.

VALVE DOES NOT RESPOND TO POSTS IN THIS THREAD. Any replies shown are due to people e-mailing Gabe or the others and copy/pasting the responses.

Not flaming or anything, just letting folks know :cheers:

Originally posted by Chazz

VALVE DOES NOT RESPOND TO POSTS IN THIS THREAD. Any replies shown are due to people e-mailing Gabe or the others and copy/pasting the responses.

You know this is the "Questions for gabe interview" thread right?

Originally posted by Chazz

Let me introduce you to the topic title:

SUBMIT YOUR QUESTIONS FOR GABE INTERVIEW

And so I can claim this post isn't OT:

1. Will there be any differences between the retail distribution of HL2 and the Steam distribution of HL2?

Thank ya much.

fisker and java, i'm surprised, this isn't a post that valve answers in, its just a question list, i think you may have misinterpreted what chaz was saying.

I'v only got two questions. And I bet one of them has already been asked. I'm not gong to bother reading the rest of the posts as there are so many of them.

Q1. Gabe, is there anything that you can tell us about Half-Life 2's multiplayer aspect other than 'No comment' and 'Prepare to taste the future!'?

Q2. Can you put a poster decal somewhare in the game that says 'I Pole Dance' ?

Thanks,

Daniel 'Anthraxxx' Nong and all the guys at Trinity High School

www.thsrock.net

Originally posted by MaDMaXX
fisker and java, i'm surprised, this isn't a post that valve answers in, its just a question list, i think you may have misinterpreted what chaz was saying.

"Any replies shown are due to people e-mailing Gabe or the others and copy/pasting the responses."

Sorry for asking but where are replies from people that has emailed gabe and the others?
We didn't misinterpret jack.

1. Will the granade arm evereytime you change to it (like in the movie with Barney) in the final built?

2. Could you please elaborate more on how physics will be dealt with in multiplayer?

3. On older systems (say AMD athlon 1000 ghz, Geforce 4 MX 440, approx 300 SDRAM) will the
game look as good as current games that work smooth on the system?

4. You descrbed that wood fragments correctly and sounds real, could you tell me other "materials" you
have simulated to this rate in the source engine?

Note: sorry fot my system question but I am caught in a time where I can't buy a new computer or upgrade and I want to see how this one will do.

I also emailed Gabe about 5 times and got no response, so i really hope these get answered :)

Thank you

Originally posted by Adam
LoL!!!!

<Sarcasm>
Yes please name all limitations publicly in a forum so that other developers can implement those features source don't have so the other devs games can put HL2 to shame.
</Sarcasm>

lol, I was kinda bored :cheese:

I have heard (read in the FAQ) that to play multiplayer you need an internet connection even if you are playing at a LAN.

And once you have played online, you can't play singleplayer again without having an internet connection.

As a LAN organiser the realities of providing an internet connection for 300 or more players is expensive and difficult to organise (we don't have one). This will affect our ability to provide HL2 at LAN's and may affect sales (personally I only buy games I can play at our LAN).

So my question is (I didn't check to see if it's already been asked):

Has Valve thought through Steams imapct on LAN gaming and people who play at LANs (and may not normally have an internet connection)?

Originally posted by Anthraxxx
Q1. Gabe, is there anything that you can tell us about Half-Life 2's multiplayer aspect other than 'No comment' and 'Prepare to taste the future!'?

He didn't say the second one, that interview was fake.

And once you have played online, you can't play singleplayer again without having an internet connection.

You misunderstood that one. It's meant this way: Once you use any online-feature, you (obviously) must be online. After you finished using the feature (for example, the MOD you downloaded is there) you don't need the internet connection anymore to continue playing in the LAN.

Influences and linearity + music + novel

1) Were you or anyone at valve influenced by such games that never were, such as prey by 3dRealms or games that were such as SystemShock2 by looking glass studios (now gone).

Sidenote- The camera effects in HalfLife2 and general atmosphere reminded me of prey's portal technology and systemshock2's atmosphere.

2) Emotions carry a key role in Halflife2 (and did in hl1, as gabe said), will you carry this to a level where we can make choices that adversely affect the storyline (not just whether you shoot your friend or not). Or are we on a rollercoasterride (albeit a very diverse and interactive rollercoasterride ala hl1).

3) Will you be releasing the soundtrack to Hl1, or HL2 on a seperate Music CD or the DVD-AUDIO format.

4) Will you releasing a novel of the story by the author of hl1 and 2.

-Cheers. ADV
www.cornidesign.com

I assume lot of the questions that people ask can be answered when the game comes out. How about asking him for an update on the release date. Just ask for an update on it. Don't ask if its been delayed. Don't ask if its still for September 30th. Just ask for an update on the release date. Very simple question. Very simple answer.

Anubis

"Will there be an equivalent of the Half-Life 1 hazard course in Half-Life 2?"

Originally posted by JavaGuy
Let me introduce you to the topic title:

SUBMIT YOUR QUESTIONS FOR GABE INTERVIEW

*ahem*

Mea cupla. I clicked the wrong link, and didn't even look.

/me bows and begs for forgiveness

If I wanted to make a reflective floor, what would be the best way to go about doing it in Source?

A) Create a new shader similar to the reflective/refractive water surface, which reflects and diffuses light from the rest of the room, and apply it to the floor.

B) Mirror the room underneath the floor to give a false reflection, as is typically done in HL maps.

Let's have the interview before HL2 is released! :D

Thanks for the input guys. I've sent the questions.

Obviously, we can only really ask a couple of these in the interview. Feel free to email Gabe your questions, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back