system requirements

i have 512 mb DDR500 HyperX
AMD 2600 barton 333mhz FSB
ati 9800 pro

Do you think my comp will run this game like the E32004 video with 50 or 60 FPS? ANd what was their test on? Resolution, AA and AF, in-game settings, please. Thx.

AMD AthlonXP 2800+
512 DDR PC 3200
ATi Radeon 9600 Pro AiW

Darkknighttt said:
k, does anyone know how to add a picture and edit my forums account?!
Click on 'User CP' up at the top...

Darkknighttt said:
if i get a new video card(9800 pro) will my fps go up?! currently have nvidia geforce4MX 64 MB.
Errrr... yes...

how about mine?

What do you think about mine? I'm guessing I can run full settings...

Pentium 4 2.6Ghz
512MB DDR400 ram
ATI Radeon 9800

Xtasy0 said:
when the price drops he can use the extra money he would have spent and buy a new cpu. and ANY cpu (even an AMD 64bit cpu will be a bit of a bottleneck for the radeon 9800 pro.)

I was wondering, about how much do you think the price will drop on the Radeon 9800 Pro drop when the newer line cards come out?

A lot. And judging from your system, I'd worry about saving for an entirely new one.

volume said:
A lot. And judging from your system, I'd worry about saving for an entirely new one.

Me? I am in the process of building a new one..
Can you be more specific then "alot".

im kinda worried about how the game will run on my comp.. :|

specs:

Athlon XP 2500+
512mb PC3200 DDR ram @ 400mhz
9600 Pro 128.

i am guessing the game will run on low settings.. medium settings at best :hmph: :x :|

but i guess thats the way it goes... i won't be able to upgrade til X-mas for sure.. oh well ;(

RTFMish said:
I was wondering, about how much do you think the price will drop on the Radeon 9800 Pro drop when the newer line cards come out?

Honestly, I don't expect the 9800 Pro to drop much more in price. You have to remember that it still costs money to produce those cards. For it to drop anymore, you would have to start questioning the pricing practices of ATI.

But, as it stands right now, you get great performance for a mid-level priced card.

[Edit]: Dr Freeman - you computer should run HL2 medium to high settings at 1024 x 768.

blahblahblah said:
Honestly, I don't expect the 9800 Pro to drop much more in price. You have to remember that it still costs money to produce those cards. For it to drop anymore, you would have to start questioning the pricing practices of ATI.

But, as it stands right now, you get great performance for a mid-level priced card.

[Edit]: Dr Freeman - you computer should run HL2 medium to high settings at 1024 x 768.

u really think so? :O :D

i thought my cpu would keep the game from not only running smoothly, but also i wouldn't be getting most of the fancy graphics that have been talked about so much on this board.. hmm..

RTFMish said:
Me? I am in the process of building a new one..
Can you be more specific then "alot".

Well, the best I can tell you is "very affordable." I didn't mean to diss you out on your system, but as long as you're getting a new one, you're good to go. :farmer:

Dr. Freeman... Jesus, man... that'll run it just fine at high settings at at least 1024x768... God damn... some people...

Well, for a second I did take it as a diss, but I took it as a diss to my inteligance, just by the way you said it.. lol.

Yes, my current processor would make it useless, processor is a piece of crap.
but I see a AMD Athlon XP 2500+ O/C to 3200+, and 1024mb PC3200 RAM in my near future..

Amd 64 fx-53 with Hyper-Transport.

x800xt on pre-order from newegg.

8gb of DDR registered RAM.

Dual 148GB Western Digital Raptor 10,000 RPM

Creative GigaWork- 7.1 700-Watt Speakers (my surround sound!)
Audigy 2 ZS Platinum Pro High Definition 7.1 Surround Sound Card.

Come the end of the summer I am thinking about getting another x800xt and a Grand Canyon monitor display.

kidrock450 said:
Amd 64 fx-53 with Hyper-Transport.

x800xt on pre-order from newegg.

8gb of DDR registered RAM.

Dual 148GB Western Digital Raptor 10,000 RPM

Creative GigaWork- 7.1 700-Watt Speakers (my surround sound!)
Audigy 2 ZS Platinum Pro High Definition 7.1 Surround Sound Card.

Come the end of the summer I am thinking about getting another x800xt and a Grand Canyon monitor display.

Registered RAM operates at higher latencies than Unregistered. Unless you already bought it, I'd suggest Unregistered.

Registered = Server Machines
Unregistered = Gaming Machines

Though seeing as you have 8GB to spare, you may not see much of a difference. :thumbs:

Darkknighttt said:
IS THE 9600 XT BETTER THAN THE 9800 XT?!?!?!?!?! noob question but can someone answer it?!

Dude seriously, learn how to used google and other search engines to find out....cause seriously, when a card has 128mb more than the other its almost positive its better, not all the times, but in most cases........btw X800 owns 9800xt, the end :LOL:

Letters said:
Dr. Freeman... Jesus, man... that'll run it just fine at high settings at at least 1024x768... God damn... some people...

:eek:

sorry for being so paranoid about the game running smoothly and seeing some fancy graphics..

AMD Athlon XP 1800+ 1.53 GHz
768 MB RAM
80 GB Hard drive
...And I currently have a GeForce 4 MX440, but I'm thinking of getting a ATI Radeon 9800 Pro...

It better run OK for me:
Pentium 4 at 2.4ghz
1024mb RAM
GeForce FX 5800 128mb RAM

No worries here...
XP2800+
Radeon 9700 Pro
512 DDR333 Dual
I think I'll start considering an upgrade when Unreal 3 is out...
get a X900XT or something with 512/1024 MB of Ram on it

AMD Athlon XP3000
1.25GB DDR RAM
ATI RADEON 9600XT
60GB Maxtor HD
120GB WD HD

I'm hoping i can run at decent framerate at 1152x864.

Another thing, I never really understood how to compare AMD to Intel for processor speed. Windows says my XP3000 is a 2.16ghz, however i'm sure it would run alot faster in comparison to an intel running at 2ghz.

So what exactly is an AMD XP3000 comparable to on the intel side for speed?

XP3000 is comparable to a 3000mhz p4 despite physically running at 2160mhz

It was a marketing ploy because people would prefer to buy a P4 3.0gz than an AMD 2.16gz (higher numbers usually mean better), despite the fact that the AMD is it's equivalent or better.

Mr-Fusion said:
XP3000 is comparable to a 3000mhz p4 despite physically running at 2160mhz

It was a marketing ploy because people would prefer to buy a P4 3.0gz than an AMD 2.16gz (higher numbers usually mean better), despite the fact that the AMD is it's equivalent or better.

I don't understand -- AMD's have a much lower BUS speed.

Thanks fusion.

Meh.. I'm also a little unsure about my 9600xt, i bought it as an upgrade from a radeon 8500 because i needed an upgrade and it seemed like a good deal with the HL2 bundle. Now i'm wondering if I should have gone to a 9800 pro or 9800xt. :eek:

All you lucky people

1.3ghz AMD Duron
512 333mhz ddr ram
9600 pro 128mb
40gb maxtor
160gb WD

Family tax benifeit A has allows my mother to get $600 per child next month so hopefully I'll be getting an Athlon 2800 aswell as a new Mobo.

eQUIV said:
Thanks fusion.

Meh.. I'm also a little unsure about my 9600xt, i bought it as an upgrade from a radeon 8500 because i needed an upgrade and it seemed like a good deal with the HL2 bundle. Now i'm wondering if I should have gone to a 9800 pro or 9800xt. :eek:

9600xt will be fine for HL2.

TIIMMYY said:
It better run OK for me:
Pentium 4 at 2.4ghz
1024mb RAM
GeForce FX 5800 128mb RAM

Not with that 5800...

I recently broke my R9800 Pro/256. Which was nice. I'm now waiting for the new X800 model. I won't even consider Nvidia's latest because I hear that it needs a 480 W power supply (**** that).

Right now I have a GeForce4 Ti4200 128mb card but I think I'm getting/building a new comp for college so I'm gonna pick up the x800 :D

riTuaL said:
Right now I have a GeForce4 Ti4200 128mb card but I think I'm getting/building a new comp for college so I'm gonna pick up the x800 :D

Can I have the Ti4200?

PatPwnt said:
what power supply is required for x800 series?

ATI's website says that a 300 W supply is needed. The platinum version needs 350. On the other hand, I read about an ATI promo event where they ran the X800 on a 250 W PSU. I guess it depends on your CPU and other devices.

i havnt read all 8 pages so if someones already said this then credit to them but there was an interview posted recently either by with gabe or doug (i think it was doug) and he said that the most important parts of the system for playing hl2 well are - gfx card > RAM > CPU. he also said that a 512mb of RAM or more would have it running really nice and that once you get over 1.3ghz or therabouts as long as you have a nice amount of RAM and a good graphics card anything over that for CPU speed wont really make a huge difference in terms of quality and speed - although if u have a beast of a machine of course its gona run great, but the point is that the 'next step up' so to speak wont be that much 'higher' if get my meaning.

640 ddr ram
geforce fx 5200
1.8 gightz processor

can i expect to run it at, at least medium?

[email protected]
512MB
GeForce 2 64MB :|

Gonna get a new video card and replace the RAM. Anyway, I have a question. If I wanna get a 9600 XT that comes with 128MB, can I buy video memory to make it 256MB?

Evil^Milk said:
[email protected]
512MB
GeForce 2 64MB :|

Gonna get a new video card and replace the RAM. Anyway, I have a question. If I wanna get a 9600 XT that comes with 128MB, can I buy video memory to make it 256MB?

no. u can't upgrade memory on a graphic card.

PatPwnt said:
what power supply is required for x800 series?

i have a sff pc with a 200w psu and i'm running a 9800xt with no problems..the x800 series is suppose to consume less power than 9800 series...remember it also depends on what other devices u have connected to your pc.

Back