Tables chairs etc...

Please just do me a favor and give that scene a second look. It distinctly shows the guy shooting something on the washing machine before gordon even makes a move to duck behind it. How would the AI know he was going behind the washing machine unless it was staged?

I've looked at it, and I'm just not sure what you mean. There are shots flying all over, not very accurately. I don't see anything on the washing machine until Gordon has already been there for a bit: but which one you talking about?

Why would they need to stage the AI shooting at Gordon's position? I mean, that's the like easiest AI in the world.

I think he means, when Gordon enters the double doors, the AI is shooting to the right of Gordon for some reason. I thought because the double door had a small window to the right of it, but then I thought -- Why would they be shooting to the right of him. Maybe just spray like Apos said.

Gojin that's precisely what I mean. If you pay close enough attention, there's definately something fishy about that part of the scene.

I wonder why they're shooting to the right. Gordon then seems to move a little to the right then move to the left behind the hamper. Weird.....

Originally posted by guinny
That's my point though. I think it was staged. And he was supposed to run to the washing machine earlier. If you look, the tracers and gunfire shoot something off the washing machine before he even gets there. Watch it again.

well if he was "supposed" to run to the washing machine earlier why didn't he? they didnt have a guy sitting there at E3 playing the game over and over, they were just running demo files, do you think they would have a demo file with an error like that? they could redo it until the timing was perfect if they wanted to because it wasnt live playing, it was just a prerecorded ingame demo looping.

A lot of things werent perfect, I doubt they would have looked this over. And now, I'm sadly beginning to doubt HL2's AI.

You're totally nuts. I've gone through frame by frame and I still can't see what you're complaining about. "I doubt they would have looked this over"? Looked WHAT over? They are shooting wildly while Gordon is strafing left to avoid their fire. You aren't even making any sense: what are you saying should be happening?

Originally posted by Apos
You're totally nuts. I've gone through frame by frame and I still can't see what you're complaining about. "I doubt they would have looked this over"? Looked WHAT over? They are shooting wildly while Gordon is strafing left to avoid their fire. You aren't even making any sense: what are you saying should be happening?

he thinks gordon should move right and get filled with holes from the nice combines MP5, because he (guinny) has no tactical sense...

If this is the sequence in the City 17 part of the demo when Gordon goes into the building and blocks the door with the table then I know what you're talking about.
However, it would seem to me that it wasn't scripted. The A.I. is making assumptions as to where he would or could be. Most A.I. in a FPS simply shoot what they can see. This seems, to me anyways, to be scattered fire at an assumed position or perhaps to draw him out. The A.I. is thinking about where you could be rather than shooting you only if it can see you. That's the same reason the other soldier kicks open the door. They know you went in there so they come in after you.

So in other words, very smart and complex A.I.
:cheers:

basically, when gordon enters the room he stays behind the door and table because there are windows and before moving the table the combine shot at the window. so gordon stays behind the table and the door because its logical to assume they're going to shoot through the window. it just so happens that from where gordon is standing cant be seen by the combine outside the window, he is at too much of an angle for the combine to see from the window. gordon realises there is a guy kicking at the door so he waits for an opportune time and takes cover behind the washing machine to the right so the table/door/combine guy kicking down the door doesnt hit him. perfectly logical i'd say, the ai cant see through walls.

You guys don't even know the sequence he's talking about so don't even say he's wrong. He's talking about the Ant Lion sqeuence, after Gordon takes ou the sentries.

During the ant lion sequence Gordon never hides behind a washing machine after coming through the door. He hides behind laundry tubs.
I watched that sequence to make sure and the soldiers shoot directly at him as soon as he comes through the door and into sight.
Guinny also stated that the soldiers shoot things off of the top of the washing machine. Tell me where you see that at the beginning of that part of the sequence.
I never said he was flat out wrong, I merely stated my opinion on the matter.
Not to be rude, but don't tell me I don't know what i'm talking about when you don't seem to yourself.
Ask Guinny.
:imu:

"If this is the sequence in the City 17 part of the demo when Gordon goes into the building and blocks the door with the table then I know what you're talking about."
You didn't know what he meant.

Also, I think guinny meant the laundry hamper. He never says anything about shooting anything off.

Originally posted by Gojin
You guys don't even know the sequence he's talking about so don't even say he's wrong. He's talking about the Ant Lion sqeuence, after Gordon takes ou the sentries.

hey good point, there were two parts with washing machines and doors, heh....but unfortunatley, in the one after the antlions and sentrys gordon didnt duck behind a washing machine, he ducked behind a bin of some type, so now im confused, because looking back, one person said "double doors" and the double doors are after the sentrys, but he didnt duck behind a washing machine there, but then guinny agreed with the person talking about double doors...oh my, i think ive just gone cross eyed.

guinny, can you be more specific which sequence you're talking about? is it the first fighting sequence where you move a table in front of the single door and the combine shoot through the window and kick down the door?

or is it the scene after you take out two sentrys and enter the room and duck behind a few big bins?

The AI looks a little weird to me at times, like it was in HL1. Did stupid things like grenading itself. But you can't really make AI perfect, and hey, even RI (real intelligence ie our brains) does stupid things.

The more you watch the demo video, the more weird things you see, like when you go back and play HL1 you notice heaps of strange engine quirks.

Stop watching the demo so much, and just wait to play it, or you'll drain all the magic, and it will just be a long glorified tech demo for you.

Edit: Also, on the topic of sentries, i thougt it was nifty how your shots just knocked the sentry guns instead of destroying them, and that the (apparent) only way to destroy them was to knock them over with a sustained burst of fire, or with one stronger blast (eg shotgun).

The things he describes fit the City 17 sequence ,that was shown after the Alex sequence, a lot closer than during the ant lion sequence.
I stated what I was talking about for clarification.

I'm sure he meant the laundry hamper.

You may have been clarifying but it was wrong :p Ok ok I won't be such a jerk :p I'm sorry.:cheers:

lol
I think only Guinny knows what he means at this point.
You brought up double doors and then he agreed to it...
but he also mentions the washing machine a bunch of times.
:p

I dunno...
My guess is still City 17 sequence when he blocks the door.

True, I see how one could be thrown off by the washing machine, considering there was one in the other vid, and there was AI shootin'.

Once again, sry. HUG! lol

Halflife2 AI: The true story

CheckForWindow
CheckForDoor
CheckForBuddy
If Window = 1 then Shoot
If Buddy = 1 then Help
If Door = 1 then Kick
Else Patrol.

There you have it, the dynamic AI of HL2 grunts.

Ah: i was thinking about a totally different scene: the one with the double doors in the room full of laundry machines.

In the tenament sequence, I think the AI was just shooting blindly into the room. But maybe it is targeted at the washing machine. However, if so, why is that bad for the AI? I mean, any third grader AI could have it shoot directly at the player if it could reach him. So what's the _point_ of this particular conspiracy theory? If the enemies now can lay down covering fire and target areas where they think you are, as opposed to having to see you directly, that's more, not less, cool.

lol
I'm just going to way for Guinny to reply to this now.
We don't know which sequence he's talking about.

*Waiting patiently*
Cheers!

Originally posted by Gojin
I'm sure he meant the laundry hamper.

You may have been clarifying but it was wrong :p Ok ok I won't be such a jerk :p I'm sorry.:cheers:

but....guinny said they shot at the "washing machine" and "then" gordon ran over and hid behind it, and in the part after the sentrys they dont shoot at the hamper dealy before gordon gets there, although when he enters the room their aim is off and as he moves left their shots follow him and do shoot the hamper right as he crouches behind it.

so i think guinny must be talking about the door blocking scene.

in which case see my first post on this page. heh.

I dunno, i described what I meant and he said exactly, so maybe he thought ducking behind the washing machine since it's to the left of you in the laundry ROOM sequence.

lol
I just started posting today and already i'm getting stuck in arguments.
This is funny in some ways.
Like I said, i'm just gonna wait until Guinny gives the word as to what he's talking about before arguing more lol.
I've stated all my major points and I stand by them.

City 17 sequence is my assumption.
*Still waiting, although less patient than before*
Again, Cheers!
:bounce:

Guinny just HAD to sleep like 20 minutes ago. Bah!

don't worry, i think guinny only sleeps about 2 hours a night, then straight back to posting.

lol.

Btw, that little guy under demon-dragon's post looks like the star guy from Dr. RObotnicks mean bean machine on Sega Genesis.

Anyone notice in that scene the AI started shooting at the washing machine before gordon got to it? It definately wasn't video playback. The AI distinctly shot at the washing machine while gordon was still by the door. Then gordon went and ducked behind it. This leads me to believe the A.I was set up to do that, and was scripted, and they don't really think for themselves.

The only scene talked about before that was the door blocking scene. If this is the scwene hes talking about, the solider is shooting directly into the window, perpendicular to it. He just shoots straight ahead and it just so happens that where he could see there is a washer there. Gordon moves there cos he knows thats the way out and the washer is cover on the way.

If the scene if the one after the antlions, then the soldiers dont shoot before gordon they just shoot at him. Personally i think he was talking about the door blocking scene and when you said double door gojin he was too dozy to know that wasnt what he was talking about.

Guinny wake the f up. He done this on purpose.

AAAAGGGHHHHH!!!!!! NOW I KNOW WHAT HE MEAAAANNNNS!!!!! They were right all along :(!!!!!!!!! DAMMIT. Now i know what he means. They probably shoot there to clear the windows so they could get a look inside.

HAHA I've played that game before.
It was a super nintendo game released in Japan I think.
It was called Puyo-Puyo.
Very fun, combos are sweet mwahaha.
This is going nowhere fast. lol

Especially at 3am!
Cheers!

lol When did you come to realize this?
We still need word from Guinny to verify it, but i'm pretty sure it's the City 17 Sequence.

Welcome to the.. err... Half-Life 2.... side?
:x

Nah, Guinny meant your scene. Now I'm sure of it. But the other scene I described is also a bit odd.

Time for sleeeep. 2:54 am.

Gojin, thanks alot for defending me, but they were right, it is that scene. And I'm not talking about gordon walking into fire, or them trying to shoot him. LOOK AT THE WASHING MACHINE PEOPLE, BEFORE HE GOES NEAR IT, YOU SEE RICOCHET(SP?) BULLETS HITTING THE MACHINE. That's what I mean.

lol
I know what you're talking about Guinny.
I read your post and I watched the video again just to be sure.
But like I said, I think it's more covering fire, or firing on the assumed position rather than a scripted event timed improperly.
Still looks like amazing A.I. to me.
:)
Cheers!

Gojin, thanks alot for defending me, but they were right, it is that scene. And I'm not talking about gordon walking into fire, or them trying to shoot him. LOOK AT THE WASHING MACHINE PEOPLE, BEFORE HE GOES NEAR IT, YOU SEE RICOCHET(SP?) BULLETS HITTING THE MACHINE. That's what I mean.

yes, read my first post on page 7 of this thread, basically they cant see gordon from where they are, so they're doing what is logical.

Back