Television ads?

lotusboy101

Reaction score
Will HL2 be given any t.v. advertising like some of the other games have? Not like it needs any, but I think it would be good for Valve to get the word out, mainly because the kidz on the street seem to only buy what the t.v. tells them to, and right now that seems to be Halo2 and GTA: San Andreas. (as mentioned in another thread somewhere).

yep it will starr GABEs fat ass counting his money from his earnings from sales n he will say "Go get halflife{

It is really hard to make an ad for tv from the way hl2 was built. They dnt do cinematics so thats out of the question and they cant really show any game footage without scaring the kids or taking out all the good stuff about them game to make it suitable for tv. So no ads for hl2 on the tv.

A small fast clip of ingame fottage and then a blank screen with the HL2 Logo would be fine foe an advert.

Not like the GTA:SA advert that seems to go on and on and shows shitty cinematic scenes.

I think they should just make the psyche bink into an ad. I remember the first time I saw it, I thought it would be a good commercial.

Or just the hl2 logo, like they did when itv advertised Pop Idol, they showed the logo for split seconds at the start/end of every advert. Half-life 2 doesnt need much advertising but it would be nice if the general casual pc gamer would try it out and grow a larger fanbase through there instead of the free cs source, cs kiddie route.

usually tv ads focus on console games, and like they said it doesn't really have any cinematic scences. sure they could put some gameplay or whatever, but really anyone that does any online gaming knows about the game and ppl that dont online game, chances are their pc isnt good enough to run it so if they saw the commercial they would be screwed anyways.

Gabe will come in explaining the game with his voiceover while some game footage is playing and at the end he will say

"plz get me 3 dozen krispy kremes kthxbye"

Seriously, there is never commercials for PC games, most of the public are console fanatics that don't know anything about superior gaming (the PC games) and think that Halo was the best game ever made.

It'd be quite cool though highly unlikely these console kiddies get all the good stuff :p , but we get the great stuff :D :HL2

only console games do tv ads for some reason. And the sims of course...

Well, it seems clear to me what they should do if they're going to make a tv commercial...
Half-Life 2! It has COUNTER-STRIKE! Now it looks better!

That's what the mainstream people want. Not Half-Life 2; Counter-Strike: Source.

They do TV ads for console games because the assumption is the audience for them is more abundant and larger (mainly the younger audiences).

to everyone who says pc games dont have commercials: remember max payne and max payne 2? they had very cool ads. not that HL2 needs tv spots, but i think that gameplay footage dubbed over with a gman speech would be cool. something like the pre-e3 2004 video would work just fine (i just rewatched it; the music is so badass).

kaf11 said:
to everyone who says pc games dont have commercials: remember max payne and max payne 2? they had very cool ads. not that HL2 needs tv spots, but i think that gameplay footage dubbed over with a gman speech would be cool. something like the pre-e3 2004 video would work just fine (i just rewatched it; the music is so badass).

That's pretty much exactly what I was thinking.

Counter-Strike: Source basically sells itself.

/me points at Steam stats

HL2, alas, doesn't.. ;(

edit: I think the G-man intro would be awesome for this.

Well, since they see the Ads on TV, they (unless its someone elses TV) already have half of what they need to play it (A TV). A lot of people own consoles too.

silverstealth89 said:
how do you know that for afact. i hope they do it will be so cool
It's been confirmed. There won't be any television advertisements.

but why. i bet it will boost the number of copies sold. eventhought the whole world knows about HL2 already

silverstealth89 said:
but why. i bet it will boost the number of copies sold. eventhought the whole world knows about HL2 already
I'm not sure why, really. Putting that much money into advertisements isn't really worth it. They've already got enough people wanting it, there really is no point in making television commercials of it. Though it would be cool, yes. Remember, TV ads requires dishing out BIG BUCKS. :rolleyes:

well i bet that even the TV networks would give them a discount cuz the game is so good

It seems strange that HL2 won't have an ad. I'm pretty sure it's cuz of the poor sales of PC games at the moment. But how many of u have shown ur mates the bink vids and they've gone "Wow I want that game" I think if the powers that be took a gamble and splashed out on some prime time ad space maybe for just a few days it would pay off.
And yes, it is annoying that console gaming is much more 'pop' when FPS CANNOT be played properly on them. Get an X-box a mouse and keyboard and I'll buy one, until then... no thanks.

burner69 said:
It seems strange that HL2 won't have an ad. I'm pretty sure it's cuz of the poor sales of PC games at the moment. But how many of u have shown ur mates the bink vids and they've gone "Wow I want that game" I think if the powers that be took a gamble and splashed out on some prime time ad space maybe for just a few days it would pay off.
And yes, it is annoying that console gaming is much more 'pop' when FPS CANNOT be played properly on them. Get an X-box a mouse and keyboard and I'll buy one, until then... no thanks.

yeah i sure did that i should be payed by VALVe as a PR. man i must have got like 25 people to dl and preorder it.

And by the way, half life 2 could pretty much show anything and it would sell A LOT more copies.
EG, ur sitting watching Die hard on ITV, ads come on:
a) Psyche comes on followed by HL2 logo. WOW!
b) A spoken thing by G-man comes on. WOW!
c) We see clips of kewl stuff happening, eg barricade grenade firing combine, skip being knocked down in trap town.
d) HL2 logo, "Next gen gaming is here." Quick 2 sec shot of G-man. "The most advanced AI" see combine flanking "The most advanced physics" See physics gun or somthing (skip from trap town woud be could again). "The most cheesiest advert" only jk/n but u get the idea.
e) Have all the HL1 review scored pop up (well not all but the best).. then have a quick shot of HL1 merging into HL2.. HL2 review scores pop up. then some cheesey tag line "It's here" or summat.

IT WOULD ATTRACT MORE PEOPLE TO BUY IT!

It's amazing, considering this game is probably the biggets technological leap forward in gaming in a while that so many people have never heard/ seen it!!!

At leats I'm gunna have the pleasure, I'll have to just have to show all me m8s meself :hmph:

You sure do reply fast enough silverstealth89. ;)

Though I think I may be the master of that. :p

lol i got to much time on my hands. jk actually this is the first time i had some down time.

btw i think ill take that as a challenge :naughty:

TV Ad for HL2 is Cheesy. It doesn't need TV Ad. Cinema Ad would be cool though during the Movie Previews.

Psyche video or GMan intro would be perfect, and then flash the hl2 logo at the end.

Black screen - "Rise and shine, Mr. Freeman."
Pan back from G-Man's eye to see his whole face - "...rise and shine."
Frenetic montage showing clips of battles, explosions, etc. Interspersed with one or two shots of Alyx/Eli/etc. to show off facial animations some more.
Fast pounding music in the background.
Last shot, the end of the Striders vid where you're shot by the strider and it fades to black
"Welcome to City 17"
Half-Life 2 plus logo flash up in white on black screen
"It's safer here."
15.11.2004 (or 11.15.2004 for you Yanks)
Fade out. Fin.

el Chi said:
Black screen - "Rise and shine, Mr. Freeman."
Pan back from G-Man's eye to see his whole face - "...rise and shine."
Frenetic montage showing clips of battles, explosions, etc. Interspersed with one or two shots of Alyx/Eli/etc. to show off facial animations some more.
Fast pounding music in the background.
Last shot, the end of the Striders vid where you're shot by the strider and it fades to black
"Welcome to City 17"
Half-Life 2 plus logo flash up in white on black screen
"It's safer here."
15.11.2004 (or 11.15.2004 for you Yanks)
Fade out. Fin.

nice i like it

kaf11 said:

great idea i really wish they did that

VERY good, especially the "it's safer here" bit.

Perhaps none of that pounding music.
Some cool moody music or summat.

Y oh Y aren't they running a TV ad camp.?

how about some hauntish music the one you hear like at that HL2 counter website i dont have a link srry

Back