The entire game is playable - Gabe

CreedoG

Reaction score
mbrithoms said:
To: Gabe Newell
Subject: genuinly concerned about HL2's progress

Hello Gabe

Big fan of yours and of course Half Life, what worries my is (as you may know) fragmaster (the ex-webmaster of planethalflife.com) in his farewell post mentioned not too subtley that you had a disturbing small amount of content, there were strong rumours at the time of the leak that there were only 3 levels fully completed of Half Life 2, and these 'exclusive' magazine previews coming this month have played just the 3 levels from last e3, now what I want to ask is (not to sound disrespectful) are these the only 3 levels you have? Im being totally serious, it all seems a little suspect, especially with the statement from fragmaster. Alot of folk are losing faith fast including some of the insane fanboys of you guys and thats saying something.

thanks
Matt

The entire game is playable.

Thanks mbrithoms!

The entire game is playable. That's great news. I mean, the game could still in all likelihood take another 6 months to polish, but we will probably see HL2 released this year. Very nice.

it is good news. im glad to hear it, although i know it means little as far as a release date.

Is it me, or is that question kinda weird?

asking if those 3 levels are the only levels they have?

I mean wtf?

Gabe even responded to that question..lol :)

i agree Xenome. I've tried all kinds of different tacticts, nice guy, mean guy, hook in the subject line. And he replies to emails like this. If I was Gabe I would have been too pissed to reply.

G.Freeman said:
I think the entire game was playable last September.
So do i.
They have probably been adding and fixing some stuff.

Now kids this is why i told you to take "Fragmasters" posts with a pinch of salt.

He knows as much as us and his prediction about the sept 30th delay was nothing more than a Guess.

And this should also be in the valve info thread if it isnt already. ;)

Nah,

Valve will just tear it up to start from scratch all over again.

We have seen that so many times by now.

It goes to show how right fragmaster was after all.

H-52 said:
Nah,

please dont post bull sh*t.

some people might actualy belive it.

Bullshit you say ??

Valve is notorious by now for tearing stuff up and starting all over again. TF2 ring a bell??

And frag was right. The game is fully playable only now and not last fall.

where did he get this 3 levels idea? i mean i understand the 'unfinished' rumor but there were definitly more than 3 lol, anyway whether the game was in this state in september or recently, it means any date is plausable in the future, the only things delayable would be translating it into all languages, further Q&A play testing, and finalisation.. its a good sign me thinks.

Dougy said:
please dont post bull sh*t.

some people might actualy belive it.

Same thing that comes to my head everyday, on alot of forums.

"ppl might actually believe it".. :)

just like with the 2005 delay-rumor, wich was later confirmed false.

H-52 said:
Bullshit you say ??

Valve is notorious by now for tearing stuff up and starting all over again. TF2 ring a bell??

Hey did this ever pop into your head?
What if (assuming they DID scrap the game) they scrapped the game ALREADY way back in 2000 or something? Why now? It doesn't take 5 years to realize a game is bad and scrap it my friend.

I for one doubt they ever scrapped it at all. They had a very good idea of what to make thanx to us fans reactions.

H-52 said:
Bullshit you say ??

Where exactly is your proof that frag was right? He made a bunch of claims in his farewell post, but theres no way to prove if he was telling the truth. He most likely felt like sturring shit up before he left.

vegeta897 said:
Hey did this ever pop into your head?

Pop into my had LOL

Hey I just imagined Valve scrapping their work an the first HL and starting again, delaying the game for over a year.

Yeah, just rumors.

Death.Trap said:
Where exactly is your proof that frag was right? He made a bunch of claims in his farewell post, but theres no way to prove if he was telling the truth. He most likely felt like sturring shit up before he left.

And I daresay that Frag has a great deal more credibility then the Valve PR machine by now.

Seriously, his farewell post did contain sour grapes but he still stands higher in my book then mar. Lombardi

H-52 said:
Pop into my had LOL

Hey I just imagined Valve scrapping their work an the first HL and starting again, delaying the game for over a year.

Yeah, just rumors.
Pop into my "had"? Why did you LOL?
*Confused*

And I am aware they scrapped HL1.
But as I said, they have alot more experience to do things right, they've had awhile to see what fans liked about HL1 and they know what they're doing.

Game releases this Summer. Wait for E3. Sit back and relax.

Well they scrapped hl1 delayed it for a year to redo the whole thing.

Scrapped TF2 and moved it to source.

CZ was passed around developers like high grade hash. Probably got scrapped and started again a few times through this process.

Yes, Valve have a culture of scrapping games and starting again!

Dear god I made a typo. OMFG how humbled can I be ??

Yeah, I'll wait for the E3 and see what Valve has to show besides talk.

Xenome said:
Same thing that comes to my head everyday, on alot of forums.

"ppl might actually believe it".. :)

just like with the 2005 delay-rumor, wich was later confirmed false.

Actually, we'd have to wait until HL2 releases to find out if that rumor was false.

i kinda believe that fragmaster has this unique ability to be just insanely lucky

Lobster said:
most intelligent advice ever imo
Weee! I'm a geenass!

And I know you miss typed, I was wondering why you said "LOL"

I am not one to critisize spelling.

jet jaguar said:
Actually, we'd have to wait until HL2 releases to find out if that rumor was false.

perfect example of why you dont post BS. speculations.

this poor chap now thinks the 2005 rumour might be true.

:( another lost soul....

Dont worry dougy, we are currently in a deppression of HL2 info, just gotta fight the flames for a few weeks.

Q: Does HL2 only have 3 levels?

A: No, the whole game is playable

LOL Stupid question gets sarcastic answer.

H-52 said:
Bullshit you say ??
Oh no, they ported TF2 to Source so it would be a better experience. What bad abd people.
Valve isn't exactly notorious - they started HL1 all over again preactically, a year before its release. Yeah that's awful - it's not like it paid off or anything.
And yeah they've done this so many times with HL2, all of once. Yeah it was irritating and I'm sure it was totally unjustified and will make the game worse.
And it also makes perfect sense that a year ago, they had no content whatsoever after almost half a decade's work and decided to tell the world that it'd be out in a few months. Yeah they must've known it wouldn't be ready!

I refuse to use the "Sarcasm" wraps - I may've missed the irony train a few times, but for God's sake.
I will say that Gabe's answer was more than a little vague, but then I guess his answers always are. If it's fully playable now then huzzah, I say and let that be the end of it.

H-52 said:
Nah,

Let's examine that logic. So, because Half-Life was delayed once, every one of Valve's games will be continually delayed? Right.

All the trolling and flaming aside, this is good news! This means that Valve can focus on beta-testing and polishing the game. A lot of major development hurdles should be behind them now.

bah if H-52 wants to think that HL2 is never going to be released, let him. It won't do him any harm, besides he's probably just saying it to annoy people.

EDIT: Am i the only one here who can see the sarcasm in Gabe's reply? He doesn't mean the game is finnished (although it probably is).

This is good news, means VALVe are probably just play testing & bug fixing at the moment.

CreedoG said:
Thanks mbrithoms!

The entire game is playable. That's great news. I mean, the game could still in all likelihood take another 6 months to polish, but we will probably see HL2 released this year. Very nice.

The game is coming out on Sept the 30th. "Gabe Newell" :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

With this news things are starting to look up. :D

EDIT: I like your signature Caminante. Makes me wonder why you post here ;)

lol theres alot of wierd people on these forums that seem to be so fed up, pissed off, against half-life 2 in every way, and yet they stay here to waste there time posting about it, i mean if theres somthing better why arnt they there :p

maby they like you lobster and dont want to really leave because you are still here ;)

well then they need to get over me, i mean i dont blame them for liking me, im so fundamentaly attractive and likable, but it would never work, we are from different worlds, they need to move on ...

knock off the trolling and flaming girls or I'll use my golden stream of justice to put out the hate

oh and lock the thread too :p

Back