The entire game is playable - Gabe

I'd say that "the entire game is playable" sounds great. I can't believe it until i see it. Remember, Gabe Newell said that all that remained for Half-Life 2 was playtesting about a year ago. I just hope he's telling the truth this time. We'll see at E3

Oh we weren't trolling or flaming, we were just having some fun. ;)

Anyway, I can't wait for E3 to see if all of this ends up being explained. They will have to give a release date at E3 since it really won't look good on them if they say something like "when its done", and I would assume that by now they should be able to easily meet whatever release date they set.

Fenric said:
knock off the trolling and flaming girls or I'll use my golden stream of justice to put out the hate

oh and lock the thread too :p

golden stream of justice .....i DO NOT like the sound of that :x

That's not what you said last time we...
<Shudders> So very very cold...

The Mullinator said:
With this news things are starting to look up. :D

EDIT: I like your signature Caminante. Makes me wonder why you post here ;)

Hehe, thanks. I'm just a HalfLife/OF fan-boy like everyone else here in this board. Only with the exception of not taking things to the extreme.:E

He knows as much as us and his prediction about the sept 30th delay was nothing more than a Guess.

Nope. It was based not only on inside info but on the fact that gaming mags weren't scheduled to review the game in the way they would have needed to have been if it was going to make its ship date.

Note that he doesn't say in what RESPECT the game wasn't done, just that they had a lot less done than they were letting on.

What a stupid question to ask: "Only Three levels are playable?", and reply even more funny "The entire game is playable!" :D

Where does it tell that no contents are cut? What if he means entire game = game with removed contents? and it is playable? :naughty:

We're not, unless someone wants to write to confirm it.

By the way - Unreal 3.0 is not a game. It's an engine version number.

The "entire game" is whatever they decide it is, whether that means content was dropped from the game or not.

Also, let's not rush to judgement on whether the quote is real: we don't even know if the original "it's playable, just bug testing" quote was real. We can't confirm every quote.

I'm going to be mighty put out if the main menu isn't 'playable'. I want to shoot antlions to change my video settings, dammit.

G0rgon said:
How sure are we that the Email is real ?

How are we sure that you are real? Are you an IRC bot gone wild on the intraweb?

I've no idea what all this buzz about cut content is about.
Almost every text, game, movie, play, site, picture, construction and so on have something the maker don't like. Guess what?

IT GETS CUT!

H-52 said:
Bullshit you say ??

Valve is notorious by now for tearing stuff up and starting all over again. TF2 ring a bell??

Yeah, I can totally see how wanting to make a great game is a bad thing. Damnit, I was SO looking forward to playing a crappy version of HL2, DAMN YOU VALVE!!

CreedoG said:
How are we sure that you are real? Are you an IRC bot gone wild on the intraweb?

First of all thanks alot PiMuRho for the Sig correction :rolleyes:

Now lets see. Am I real? AM I AN irc BOT?

wtf ........HOW IS THIS related to our topic..........Biaaatch :|

he didnt answer the question, about the lvls... :x

I'm pretty sure what he means by "the entire game is playable" is that there are no Cut Scenes. The HL style is that you spend the whole game in 1st Person being Gordon and There are no 3rd person bits where u arent in control. Scripted buts just happen around you. I don't think this has anything to do with cut content, no. of levels or anything else.

The context of the question would suggest that Gabe means that the game is in a playable state - i.e. you can play all the way through from start to finish.

Reading it again this would be very true, so lets just pretend my last post didn't happen

I still maintain the opinion that it was a sarcastic answer...

SomeGuy: Does HL2 only have 3 levels

Gabe: No the other 4 gig's of content are playable too.

Gabe didn't deny there were only 3 levels, in fact he seemed to be saying that those three levels that are playable make up the whole game... it's all making sense now... we're doomed, dooooooomed I say....

OMGzzz_roofles_IrTehrumur_S7arteh

Ahem.. Yes, I concur with the assesment that Gabe was saying that the game is now playable from start to finish and has more than three levels. I say people should start asking more stupid questions, he likes to answer them, it's almost as if he can't stop himself replying once he reads something ridiculous :D

mrchimp said:
bah if H-52 wants to think that HL2 is never going to be released, let him. It won't do him any harm, besides he's probably just saying it to annoy people.

EDIT: Am i the only one here who can see the sarcasm in Gabe's reply? He doesn't mean the game is finnished (although it probably is).

Look, I'm as much looking forward to HL2 as the next guy here.

I am just no longer counting on seeing it any time soon.

Edit: and no, I don't think that's a bad thing. I DO think however that Valve should be more clear that it will only be released "when it's done"

PS: yep, Gabe's repley may very well have been sarcastic.

Let pessimists be pessimists. There's no point trying to persuade them otherwise and they're right 50% of the time.

i just cant believe theres been a 5 page discussion over a 5 word comment..

hey we aint seen nothing yet. Generally apply to following formula

w = words spoken by a valve employee
p = pages of comments on said words.

p = 5 + 2 * w

Gabe Newell truly is a master of the multi-interpretable non-committing commentary.

Hopefully E3 will bring a bit more solid info on the current status of HL2's development process.

i think i read in an e-mail that there's gonna be a demo or something at e3, i could be dreaming this up but that's what i read

There will be a playable demo at e3 but thats just for the press to play and write on.

Where did it say that it was going to be press only?

By demo, they mean they are going to demo it. That could include it being playable for select people at E3, or it could just mean another round of movies. But it won't mean a demo demo, as in something we could all download and play.

i just cant believe theres been a 5 page discussion over a 5 word comment..

Lol, it's 2 pages for me. You've got your posts per thread count set way too low. :)

Apos, it's with default that it's 5 pages.

RoguePsi said:
There will be a playable demo at e3 but thats just for the press to play and write on.

If that's the case then that demo will leak to the net in no time flat.

Wich is the exact reason I doubt Valve will do anything like that.

Of course the whole game is playable, that is why we are gonna buy it. He didn't answer the question!

What Gabe is saying is that 3 levels is ~ almost nothing. By saying you can play the other 4 gigs also he means there is at least 4 gigs of levels and content avaible. Obviously there are more than 3 levels.

There's no reason why the demo has to leak. They just need to have it on one computer and not network it.

We've SEEN more than 3 levels, which is why the question was so stupid.

Dalamari said:
Of course the whole game is playable, that is why we are gonna buy it. He didn't answer the question!
Haha, that's pretty good. :)

Yeah, this whole thread is stupid imo. Since it can't be true. I suggest we let this one die. Yeah, that means that you who are reading this shouldn't reply.

Back