The graphics in hl:s?

Reaction score
Will it be the old styled half-life with pretty lame designed characters or will they upgrade their looks? Also are they going to use ragdoll?

no, they are porting it to the new Source engine just so it can sound cool. They don't plan on using any of the benefits of the source engine

:)

I think they're updating alot of models too... you can see the crossbow looks a little different in one of the pics.. plus you get the new lighting system as well

bliink said:
I think they're updating alot of models too... you can see the crossbow looks a little different in one of the pics.. plus you get the new lighting system as well
Which pics?

I don't think they'll update the models, they're too busy working with HL2.

destrukt said:
no, they are porting it to the new Source engine just so it can sound cool. They don't plan on using any of the benefits of the source engine

:)

all jokes aside, this statement is actually correct :smoking:

Heh graphics will be improved, yes. But don't forget guys, we have HL2 coming soon!

TST_Devgru Seal said:
Heh graphics will be improved, yes. But don't forget guys, we have HL2 coming soon!
No maps or models will be remade or improved, the only enhancements come from the engine (like shaders for the water, and physics), not the content.

If all goes to plan, Half-Life: Source will be available at the same time as HL2, and will probably be bundled in the collector's edition.

but hopefully someone will quickly come along and mod together a patch for it to import as many hl2 models as possible that are in the first game. and for those that aren't in HL2, they could like take the upgraded looking ones from op4 and blue shift and plug them in. They'd still look bad compared to the hl2 ones but still better than the origionals.

Or make like, HL2 Hd models in an official MOD for HL2. I mean, they aren't exactly going to update the HL2 graphics, are they?

Gotta have something to do.

I'm sure down the line VALVe will update HL2 graphics, maybe with a HD pack who knows.

Actually an interesting mod would be to remake HL1 with all high-poly stuff and all :D

The collectors edition says it has "Half-Life Source: Digitally Remastered version of the original game".

Doesn't that mean it's the whole game?

Half-Life Source: Digitally Remastered version of the original game

Okay, this has been ticking me off... How the hell do you digitally remaster a video game? Seriously?

Stupid marketing execs trying to get in on the Star Wars hype.

Last edited:
Biozeminade said:
The collectors edition says it has "Half-Life Source: Digitally Remastered version of the original game".

Yes, and there gonna replace all the guns with walkie talkies and there gonna replace the Gman with an Ewok

BRODIEMAN2k4 said:
Yes, and there gonna replace all the guns with walkie talkies and there gonna replace the Gman with an Ewok

rofl nice, ****ing spielburg.. him and lucas need to choke on some c0x

You almost have that right, Brodieman, only the Gman has been digitally replaced by Hayden Christensen, (obnoxious stupid smirk and all,) and the headcrabs have been replaced by ewoks. Also, Barney's initial appearance in the game has been added to, (for continuity's sake,) by a long cheesy song fit for five-year-olds entitled "Wacky-knacky boom boom." This additional song features crude computer renderings of an exciting new race the "Poo-poo-kins" - who have no real bearing on the rest of the Half Life story at all. Exciting stuff!

no.. Gman is replaced by Ashley Olsen. Gordon is replace by Gabe, The scientists are replaced by Arnold Swarzenager. The Grunts are replaced by "Tele Tubbies" The boss is replaced by Barney.
Headcrabs have been replaced by Saddam Hussein
And everything else is replaced by Osama Bin Bush.(Osama & Bush's Son)

....Keeping in mind that HL: Source is probably in early development, focus mainly being on Half Life 2 and CS Source. It's fairly certain that when the game finally comes out its gonna look better than that one screenshot they have.

Just look at the new screenshots that just came out, they blow away screenshots released 3 months ago. Also keep in mind that Half Life 2 is essentially done, all that needs to happen is Vivendi Universal tests it and gives it the green light. So really right now Valve can focus a lot more attention on HL Source, DoD Source, and CS Source...

Drakkel said:
....Keeping in mind that HL: Source is probably in early development, focus mainly being on Half Life 2 and CS Source. It's fairly certain that when the game finally comes out its gonna look better than that one screenshot they have.

Just look at the new screenshots that just came out, they blow away screenshots released 3 months ago. Also keep in mind that Half Life 2 is essentially done, all that needs to happen is Vivendi Universal tests it and gives it the green light. So really right now Valve can focus a lot more attention on HL Source, DoD Source, and CS Source...
As far as I'm aware, development on HL: Source is finished - it was a part of the RC that was sent to Vivendi, and to magazines for review. It won't look any better than that screenshot, as they're not re-making map geometry or textures.

Well, the versions of the games that have been sent to Vivendi are naturally done enough to release, but there's nothing stopping Valve releasing updates to them after release via Steam when they get the time to spruce them up a bit. Of course, it's not certain they will, but you know, they might.

That picture should'nt even been posted. Models and textures not been changed in that very old picture.

Ritz said:
That picture should'nt even been posted. Models and textures not been changed in that very old picture.

And they won't be. HL:S is more of a direct port, not a remake/facelift, like CS:S had.

Here's a quote from Waldo (A Valve employee) on the Steam forum.

It's a mix of both. It wasn't worth redoing everything in the game, but some things have been redone. Monsters & NPCs are all ragdoll enabled, physics "works", water is the nice pretty water of Source, bullet hit fx, metal has specularity (glossy and reflective), etc. To TOTALLY remake HL1 would have both ruined it (it wasn't designed for the engine) and meant a lot of time and effort would have had to be put into it. Physics is there when it can or needs to be. Like remember that place where all those boxes are hanging from cables, and you have to hop box to box? Well now...

Is it worth it? Yea, it is. I was one of the people who worked on it (the maps) and I totally enjoyed playing through it again and again in the port. It's still a fantastic story and game, now it's just even better.

So that finally puts a nail in that coffin, thank god.. Here's the source of the quote http://www.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=147843

Last edited:
Biozeminade said:

Not really. They say the new Starwars Trilogy movies on DVD ar "Digitaly Remastered" and they just improved effects/sound and little things here and there.

Cyber$nake said:
Not really. They say the new Starwars Trilogy movies on DVD ar "Digitaly Remastered" and they just improved effects/sound and little things here and there.

Okay, I think this needs to be clarified.

"Digitally Remastered" is a term that describes when people use computers to remaster a film. It quite literrally has nothing to do with making videogames and whatever marketing jockey who made that list of collectors edition content doesn't have a clue what it means. :D

When a film is made, you have the original master that copies are made from; when you copy a film, however, there's degradation between the copies, so all of the copies won't look as good as the original. Additionally, the source material will lose quality every time it's run, and when a copy is made from it.. It will also degrade just from the natural progression of time, so eventually the master will degrade to the point of uselessness.

In order to preserve the original copies of films, companies began to remaster them. Treating the films and repairing the degradation caused to them. Eventually, someone came to the realization that if you scan the film into a computer, not only can you use the computer to improve the image even more than normal techniques can, but then when your done, you can make as many copies of the film as you want with no degradation whatsoever. That's what Digital Remastering is.

You can't "digitally remaster" a game since there is no "master" copy of the game. The game is already digital, so every single copy of the game made from the initial gold disc will contain the EXACT same data as every disc pressed from it. (and indeed, the same date from the machine that the gold disc was made from!) There's no degradation so there's no reason to "remaster" it.

Whew.. I'm glad I got that off my chest.. :)

Last edited:
Yes, HL1: Source is a remake of Half-Life 1 in the source engine. All the levels have been redesigned and the characters remodeled.

It is the full game of HL1.

WhiteZero said:
All the levels have been redesigned and the characters remodeled.

Actually, it's still the same levels and models; They're just run through the source engines capabilities (Ragdoll physics; water specular maps.. stuff like that)

Waldo from the Steampowered forums went into more detail about it, which you can view in this thread (More specificly in thispost.

Last edited:
UndeadScottsman said:
Actually, it's still the same levels and models; They're just run through the source engines capabilities (Ragdoll physics; water specular maps.. stuff like that)

Waldo from the Steampowered forums went into more detail about it, which you can view in this thread (More specificly in thispost.

Sincerely,
Jeremy Dunn

I would imagine it would be very hard to add ragdoll physics without remoddelling everything (not nessecarilly starting from stratch though)

rammstein said:
I would imagine it would be very hard to add ragdoll physics without remoddelling everything (not nessecarilly starting from stratch though)
HL used a skeletal animation system, so it would actually be quite easy. They wouldn't have to re-model anything, though they could create simplified collision meshes for optimisation if they wanted to, but even that wouldn't take long (since it would be made out of simple shapes).

UndeadScottsman said:

Sincerely,
Jeremy Dunn

I know I saw a screenshot posted somewhere that was a side-by-side of original and Source and they looked pretty different.

WhiteZero said:
I know I saw a screenshot posted somewhere that was a side-by-side of original and Source and they looked pretty different.
That would be the characters in HL2 compared to the HL ones. Not HL and HL:S

AJ Rimmer said:
That would be the characters in HL2 compared to the HL ones. Not HL and HL:S

Actually there was a comparison shot of HL\HL:S - it was of the scene with the cage, over water.

It looked very different because the water was completely different (using source's shader effects) and source's lighting changed the overall look of the image. It seemed brighter, clearer, and with more depth. The textures and geometry were the same though.

Half-Life:
attachment.php

Half-Life: Source:
HL1Source_Ithy.jpg

Links found in this thread:
First Screenshot!!!

Oh okay, I thought he meant the ones that compared the old characters, my mistake :eek:
But, help me out here, don't the ichty look different? Haven't they upgraded it?

Back