The Half-Life Fact File

Edcrab said:
But I assume that when Ennui says "higher dimensional" he didn't necessarily mean it in the sense that an entity can assume control of aspects of lesser dimensions (as the Gman clearly can), merely that what we might view/interact with is an equivalent form for a transdimensional entity.
Yes. and it was only a reply to the previous poster, not really HL2 related.

Edcrab said:
As for the Gman, you could call him godlike. He appears to have a plan for every circumstance, and is arguably infallible (as there's no real evidence that he's ever made a mistake- i.e., allowing an event to occur which he didn't intend to happen)
"The biggest embarrassment has been the Black Mesa facility but I think that's finally taken care of itself."
That implys a misstake to me.

"And all the effort in the world would have gone to waste until..."
This makes me think he tryed to interveen in the 7 hour war with disasterous results.

"Ordinarily, I wouldn't contemplate them, but these are extraordinary times."
Seems a bit desperate to me.

"Rather than offer you the illusion of free choice..."
Especially when he isn't going to play his little choice game with Gordon, very to the point.

"I trust it will make sense in the course of...well, I'm really not at liberty to say."
There is something wrong. Along with the "All the effort..." that is the second time he almost reveals something he doesn't want you to know. He is f*cking nervous.

And yet despite all his setbacks he manages to engineer the rebellion and the destruction of a Citadel.

I wouldn't consider him godlike or infallible, but certainly very powerful, good at manipulation and seems to always know a lot about what's going on.

I'd disagree with your interpretation of those quotes - e.g. he doesn't seem nervous to me - but I guess we can all interpret them in our own way so no point in arguing over them.

I'd have to say I'd disagree with a few interpretations too, because part of me thinks that the Gman is a human front for something very different. I.e., he deliberately attempts to come across as <whatever emotion/disposition> in order to appear more human, and may not really be nervous/bemoaning a failure/whatever.

Of course people think he sounds a little angry in the Aftermath trailer, so we'll see...

I believe that the G-Man IS a mortal entity (like Eejit says) that is human and can make mistakes as can a human, but uses his abilities in a far more productive way than a human ever could

Very, very impressive. I will certainly use this when tweaking my HL theories next time I get bored.

Another note on G-Man: The quote "and all the effort in the world would have gone to waste, until..." Doesnt mean things 'went round' per say, merely that without Freeman all the effort would amount to nothing.
I think :x

Maybe he's like a C'tan from Warhammer 40k, not a god, but a very powerful existence that can take any form.

Nihilanth Fact File

I wrote an in-depth Nihilanth fact file with all I could learn about it. It does have some information tying it to the Combine, but nothing that really reveals the plot of HL 2, and I feel this info is necessary. The information I learned is very interesting.

Attachments

• Nihilanth Fact File.zip
    3.3 KB · Views: 283
Llama said:
Another note on G-Man: The quote "and all the effort in the world would have gone to waste, until..." Doesnt mean things 'went round' per say, merely that without Freeman all the effort would amount to nothing.

"all the effort in the world would have gone to waste, until...well let's just say your hour has come again."

I think the Gman is actually saying that even WITH Freeman around, all his (Freeman's and maybe Gman's) efforts would have gone to waste to try and stop the Combine, the Portal Storms.

For example - during the Combine invading Earth with all their synths and Citadels, there was too much, even for Gordon, to fight against. I think that Gordons hour came again because no matter how strong the Combine are, on Earth they may have thought themselves established, maybe complacent. It is at that point that Gordon is sent in to rock the boat as it were.

Ah, but the "your hour has come again" could be constructed to mean that this is the time Freeman will make a difference, seeing as all efforts previously have affected roughly dick.

My thoughts anyway :imu:

should write more in that thing. Oh and btw, what was Dr. Cross and Dr. Green purpuse? And as playing as freman in the begining, was that realy Eli you met in the test chamber?
And hey, arnt Dr. Cross or Dr. Green that holograph thingi? If it is, i bet you have taken notice...

Are Cross and Green Decay characters?
I think Gina is the hologram, yes

Yeah, it was Eli in that room with the injured scientist, not the test chamber though.

Cool, I never recalled hearing his name, oh well. But do you ever meet Dr. Kliner at black mesa?

I think he was the scientist that informs you of the Nhilianth just before you enter that big teleport room in Lamdba Complex

Llama said:
Ah, but the "your hour has come again" could be constructed to mean that this is the time Freeman will make a difference, seeing as all efforts previously have affected roughly dick.

My thoughts anyway :imu:

I had thought that Gman's plan for Gordon involved the teleporter, which the Resistance got working on the VERY SAME DAY that Gordon shows up... hence, summoning him beforehand could have gotten him killed (and Freeman is the Gman's pet project, so killing him would force the Gman to rely on less reliable agents, i.e. Shepherd, perhaps?) hence stasis.

i dont think hes a pet project... More a agent. A hero-for-hire service

Rizzo89 said:
should write more in that thing. Oh and btw, what was Dr. Cross and Dr. Green purpuse? And as playing as freman in the begining, was that realy Eli you met in the test chamber?
And hey, arnt Dr. Cross or Dr. Green that holograph thingi? If it is, i bet you have taken notice...
Their purpos was stop the Resonance Cascade (by using various technologies) and serve for Dr.Keller and Rosenberg.
Gina Cross was also trainer of Freeman in Hazard course...

Llama said:
I think he was the scientist that informs you of the Nhilianth just before you enter that big teleport room in Lamdba Complex

No, that scientist dies. In Opf when you go in there the platform where the scientist is has collapsed and yadda. Different guy.

Adrian Shepard

As we all know, Adrian Shepard was the main character in Half-Life: Opposing Force.

But, what happened to him?

Taken from the HL Fact File:
'Aidrian awakes on a helicopter flying away from Black Mesa; with G-man is standing over him. Black Mesa was an embarrassment, says the G-man as the thermonuclear bomb at the base explodes in the distance. He informs Shephard that he will be detained, in order to prevent the outside world from learning about the incident. The helicopter is transported to Xen, and then into an empty area of space, where the G-man steps into a portal, leaving Shephard alone.'

I've heard that he was put into stasis as a 'back-up' in case Freeman failed, but this text seems to imply something else. I'm confused. can anyone shed some light on this?

There is no official word on Adrian Shepard, and its likely there never will be - hopefully we won't have to see him again.

From what the g-man says I'd say that Adrian is simply in stasis on a whim of the g-man and isn't going to be doing anything untill the g-man gets sick of him and discards him.

Is Gordon sterile? I read an early script of the hl1 test chambre scene, and one scientist says " You weren't planning on having kids, were you, Gordon?" I don't remember that from the game, so I'm just wondering. I love those goofy scientists. :)

Hullu said:
Is Gordon sterile? I read an early script of the hl1 test chambre scene, and one scientist says " You weren't planning on having kids, were you, Gordon?" I don't remember that from the game, so I'm just wondering. I love those goofy scientists. :)
It's just a joke, saying that the anti-mass spectrometer may make him impotent.

IMHO Shephard's story should be wrapped up in official mod, just to shut up the fanboys.

Maybe the mod ends with the irritating marine becoming a stalker ;)

Hey one thing Ive always wonderd

if Gina is in Decay and survives; Who is the gina that lies dead in the water when you play Opposing force? I mean when you use the teleportion guns secondary you get teleported into a water filled chamber in one of the cases, and in this chamber a dead gina is teleported in and falls down into the ground of the chamber

(also who aint gina used in hl2 if she survives?)

Dunno why she's not in HL2, and iv never played Decay, but the one in Opposing force is just a reused model.

Krehlmar said:
(also who aint gina used in hl2 if she survives?)

Again, a Gearbox creation. But it's not just that - it's because she simply isn't integral to the plot. The same reason Rosenburg, Keller or Simmons aren't there - they don't need to be.

Or valve did't want them there. Gregory don't need to be in HL2 either.

Ok, you are being silly. Gregory was there because he had a place in the game. He was a side character, he was part of Ravenholm. Those other characters do not fit into the plot, they don't need to be there. That is why they aren't there.

But if valve had decided to make them, im sure they whould find some way to make them fit. But now Valve did't want them there, and decided to have a crazed up russian priest instead. It's just as good.

For the time being, assume they all died when the Combine came. Howz that? :)

hope they do come back, then everyone will be like "omg decay is canon :O"

arclight said:
"all the effort in the world would have gone to waste, until...well let's just say your hour has come again."

I think the Gman is actually saying that even WITH Freeman around, all his (Freeman's and maybe Gman's) efforts would have gone to waste to try and stop the Combine, the Portal Storms.

For example - during the Combine invading Earth with all their synths and Citadels, there was too much, even for Gordon, to fight against. I think that Gordons hour came again because no matter how strong the Combine are, on Earth they may have thought themselves established, maybe complacent. It is at that point that Gordon is sent in to rock the boat as it were.

i think when the G man said that he meant that all the effort to save Freeman, prepare him or whatever, would have gone to waste until the Combine came; that is, Gman would've had a "soldier" that he (and his employers) would not have a use for for a while

Back