The Half-Life Fact File

Eejit said:
If there is ANY higher-dimensional being in the HL2 universe it's the Gman.
Nobody else.

He's the only one who has powers and abilities that seem beyond that which advanced rebel/combine technology could replicate. Looking at the flatworld analogy the Combine should be able to 'teleport' by moving "up" from our plane, travelling a bit in their own and moving back "down" again. They obviously cannot do this.
The G-man? Well it would explain his messing with our 4th dimension (time) wouldn't it?

Everything Gman "does" could more than likely be done by his "employers" rather than Gman

BFG_9000 said:
As we all know, Adrian Shepard was the main character in Half-Life: Opposing Force.

But, what happened to him?

Taken from the HL Fact File:
'Aidrian awakes on a helicopter flying away from Black Mesa; with G-man is standing over him. Black Mesa was an embarrassment, says the G-man as the thermonuclear bomb at the base explodes in the distance. He informs Shephard that he will be detained, in order to prevent the outside world from learning about the incident. The helicopter is transported to Xen, and then into an empty area of space, where the G-man steps into a portal, leaving Shephard alone.'

I've heard that he was put into stasis as a 'back-up' in case Freeman failed, but this text seems to imply something else. I'm confused. can anyone shed some light on this?

Yeah. The Gman says that he is savin Shepard from a worse fate (probably death, or some real weird crap) and that he is impressed by Shepard. I dont recall him necessarily saying he was a backup. though its sorta off subject, has anyone realized that all the ppl who had PCVs and HEV suits are "detained", "hired", or dead?

I don't know TBH. Maybe he had some in HL1, maybe he is the head of the company now, maybe the Combine employed him, maybe he's lying. It confuzes me more than any other story point.

I think everything he said at the end of HL1 was a mere cover for his true goals. He lied, to put it simply. He wanted Gordon to believe he would be doing what he thought was best for humanity, that he'd be saving humanity in the process of employed with this myterious, seemingly human figure. That is what drives Gordon, and the G-man knows that.

Therefore he simply twisted everything he said in order to dupe Gordon into thinking that he was working for something human organized. That is my take on it.

Bishop Tutu1 said:
Everything Gman "does" could more than likely be done by his "employers" rather than Gman
That sounds pretty inefficient to me. If you're hiring somebody to do something why should you have to do it all for them?

Samon said:
I think everything he said at the end of HL1 was a mere cover for his true goals. He lied, to put it simply. He wanted Gordon to believe he would be doing what he thought was best for humanity, that he'd be saving humanity in the process of employed with this myterious, seemingly human figure. That is what drives Gordon, and the G-man knows that.

Therefore he simply twisted everything he said in order to dupe Gordon into thinking that he was working for something human organized. That is my take on it.

I doubt Gordon would believe this, since no one truly knows what Gordon thinks, seeing as you never see or hear him. Even if he has a set personality, i think Freeman would be smart enough to not believe that it was human organized; he graduated from MIT, i think he has some intelligence.

Eejit said:
That sounds pretty inefficient to me. If you're hiring somebody to do something why should you have to do it all for them?

Yeah, well i guess what i said is pretty inefficient, so now i got 2 theories:
1. Gman does work for an organization, or something like one, that could have something to do with some sort of universal, galactical, or what ever regulation; that is, since the Combine is an empire originating from another universe and interfering with this one, Gman's organization could be about preventing a major change in galactic or universal status quo

or:

2. the Gman is a super powerful being that comes from an group of equally (if not more) powerful beings, and his powers originate from devices rather than from himsel

Their probably both way off, i just wanted to participate in the "Gman guessin game"

Bishop Tutu1 said:
I doubt Gordon would believe this, since no one truly knows what Gordon thinks
Gordon thinks what the player thinks, that's the entire point of a slient protagonist.

yeah i know but im just speaking as if he had a set personality, which i know he doesnt, but, seein as Gordon thinks as you think, its pretty stupid to guess what he thinks and doesnt think. If he DID have a set personality, i'd assume that Freeman would have a high enough intelligence to believe in what the G man was sayin or doin.

Its kinda dumb to participate in these so im prolly gonna stop

yeah i know but im just speaking as if he had a set personality, which i know he doesnt, but, seein as Gordon thinks as you think, its pretty stupid to guess what he thinks and doesnt think. If he DID have a set personality, i'd assume that Freeman would have a high enough intelligence to believe in what the G man was sayin or doin.

You really think a being that has the power to do almost anything (Including hold someone in statis, alter someone's perception of time and teleport anywhere) would have trouble pulling wool over the eyes of a mere human?

I just had a beef with who the G-Man is and my 2cents are:

He's a intergalactic/interdimensional entrepreneur with great access to technology and time travel who scouts for talents. Black Mesa caught his attention because he knew humans started testing and were successful in teleportation. He kept an eye on Shephard and Gordon because he effectively checked every individuals background and found something interesting in them. When he mentions that he is not at liberty to say things that would contribute to the story line he is actually protecting contract agreements with the "beings" who employed him (contract being open to highest bidder as Breen mentioned).

OR

The GMan being a bureaucrat said to Shephard that he reminded of himself (itself, after all, its not human). Being a professional being evaluated on the basis of merit a skill was the best of his "group" and succeded to such a point (being awarded the time manipulating abilities, maybe). And admires Shephard and Gordon because of their skills. And works for some "company" which sells talents to "beings" willing to bargain for extraordinary services.

City 17 = Liepaja, Latvia?

Sister city to Bellevue, Washington (Valve Software HQ).

Actually, I was just reading from Laidlaws character bio's.

maybe one of my theories could help..If they weren't mentioned before..

I have a slight theory that the Gman teached the scientists in Lambda Complex the local and distant teleportation technology. He's the only one after all i can come up with who can teleport so freely as he does from one place to the other without getting spotted or leaving any traces behind him, and remember that Dr.Breen dosen't have an idea how the local teleportation technology works, but Eli & Kliener do + the Gman who can teleport so freely wherever he wants.

Maybe Gman, Kliener and Eli Vance had something in common once but were broken of all sudden, which brings the next theory up, why is the head of a certain person missed on that picture Kliener uses to open the door to the teleport room?

And could the stasis dimension seen on Kliener's screen connect it?..

And who is the Gman?....I don't know ^^

As said, just simple theories i've been waiting to share with you all, hope it helps

The Head is that of Breen...

As to the teleportation tech. G-Man could have 'sold' it to Black Mesa - but i'm not sure, interesting tho.

What can I say?It is impressive and also obvious that you are devoted to the HL plots - I can't provied you with any info about HL1 though,because although I have the game,I started playing HL2 before HL1 and now I can't be arsed to play HL1 XD - oh well,happy hunting! (hunting for facts and news about the plots,that is)

or it's posible that the scientis just found their way of teleportation,and gman found out and wnated to investigate,he may would like to be the only to master the tehnology that's why he may nuked black mesa

man I am new to HL but loving all the info and this thread especially. thanx

Ah, well no, most of it I just made up based on common sense, dramatic effect (as Freeman travels deeper down into the heart of darkness, night falls! :rolling:) and the time of day shown in the skybox.

How do you figure that? Though thinking about it, this timeline doesn't give Shepherd nearly enough time for his beauty sleep...

So, the times are NOT approximate? I do not recall any clocks around the Black Mesa facilities that actually work.

Man, that was a long time ago I posted that.

Er no I'm pretty sure they are "approximate" because they're mostly supposition based on the time of day on the skybox as you progress through the games. The only concrete bit is I think that the train's opening speech in HL actually mentions what time it is (8fiftysomething)

i don't think it was dr.breen who brought the combine to earth, he might had some kind of collaboration with the g-man in order to invent a stable and harmless teleportation technology , but since he was the adminstrator in black mesa i don't think he was personally involved in the actuall expirements like Eli and kleiner!. in the original HL before Gordon steps into the chamber, one of the scientists tells gordon that their adminstrator(dr.breen) has went into some lengths in order to obtain the chrystals...i can imagine these lengths could be the involvment of the g-man!...
i really don't see dr.breen as the bad guy here!, i mean just think what would've happened if he wouldn't surreneder earth to the combine!, they could've wiped out the entire human race(propably was their plan from the beginning!), what could gordon, eli and kleiner do about that?? nothing, and of course the price for human survival would be enslavement!, pretty reasonable if you ask me!.
i still think that the only victory the humans(gordon, eli, kleiner, magnusson, etc..) achieved was shutting down that super portal in EP2, but the combine will propably find a way around that, or maybe the combine will be able to open their own portal from their homeworld since they already have the coordinates of earth!!, if this is true then earth and the entire human race will be doomed unless Mr. G.man decides to finally step in and do something about it...

Some new(ish) news that more closely links the Portal time-line with the HL time-line:

Game Informer Article on Aperture Science History said:
1998 – The untested AI is activated for the first time as one of the planned activities on Aperture’s first annual bring-your-daughter-to-work day. In many ways, the initial test goes well: Within one picosecond of being switched on, GLaDOS becomes self-aware. The "going well" phase lasts for two more picoseconds, at which point GLaDOS takes control of the facility, locks everyone inside, and begins a permanent cycle of testing. Her goal: beat the hated Black Mesa in the race to develop a functioning portal technology. Days later, that race is lost when Black Mesa successfully deploys an interdimensional gate through which an alien race emerges and effectively ends the outside world.

I want Laidlaw's confirmation on that one. It's a bold move by Valve, I don't want to accept it.

It's just tacked onto the end of the timeline from the Aperture website, so I'm going to assume it's written by Game Informer themselves. Otherwise that whole thing about Gordon being hired by Black Mesa in 200- is now irrelevant.

Gameinformer confirmed that it was from Valve, but I don't want to accept it until I see a confirmation by Laidlaw.

why is the head of a certain person missed on that picture Kliener uses to open the door to the teleport room?
That was where Doctor Breen's head was. As we know, the remaining science team don't appreciate his antics, and don't believe him to be too nice a chappie.

Back