The HEV suit and realism: HL1 vs HL2

thomashiles

Reaction score
I seem to recall that one of Valve's biggest claims to realism for HL1 was that Gordon wasn't dependant on health and energy packs to magically restore his health (although these did exist), as the primary way of staying alive was using the wall-mounted recharging stations.... but there will be very few places in C17 with recharge stations (Kleiner's and Vance's labs I guess). I noticed in the harbour sequence that Gordon picked up an energy cell... It's kind of understandable that the HEV-compatible batteries and health packs would be littered about Black Mesa, but C17? Seems unlikely to me (unless Gordon's suit has been augmented to use loadsa different power sources, or perhaps to Combine cops and soldiers use compatible recharge units?)

..So do you think Valve have just quietly abandoned this aspect?

I think they will explain it somehow. Maybe Combine suits are compatible with HEV batteries (but i really doubt that they are based on the same technology). Well, we will see...

BTW: Hello everyone! I'm new here :E .

The military PCV in OpFor was compatible with HEV power supplies.

Why wouldn't the combine solders use a little of Black Mesa technology?

We've seen from the videos that there are the standard med packs lying around (the strider video)

And I've seen the little battery kind of thing from HL1.

I just figure that the combine can use them too..

OOOO OOO OOOO.....but you know what I noticed!!!!!!!!!

In the video with the Buggy, and the cliff........... When Gordon gets zapped by one of those ball things when he hits it over the cliff....it takes some of his health...... he had 100 Health...and that was it..... so it took him down to like 90 something health...but it also gave him about 30 something Armor...... so it seems that now...electricity elswhere in the game can charge the HEV's armor!!!!!

Also I've herd that the Vortigaunts will charge your suit for you :) :)

In the Op4's training missions, they show three different HEV terminals. One from Black Mesa, One for the US. marine's combat vests, and one for the "Omega" company.

In the Half-life universe, HEV technologies appear to be used in the military and possibly industrial sectors.

Since this game is about 30 or so years in the future, the use of these batteries could be very widespread.
The new batteries are dark and angular like combine technology too.

It's certainly not the most implausible thing in the game. :p

I'm assuming you start with a lot of healtjh and armour, and do your best not to get hit. kinda try and use yourt brain and not get hit until you reach the checkpoint, which would bve another rebel stronghold or something like that. the most obvious places health packs would be, is in buildings and stuff

You start with 100 health from that stupid train. But where is that train coming from? dun-dun-duun!

Fender357 said:

In the video with the Buggy, and the cliff........... When Gordon gets zapped by one of those ball things when he hits it over the cliff....it takes some of his health...... he had 100 Health...and that was it..... so it took him down to like 90 something health...but it also gave him about 30 something Armor...... so it seems that now...electricity elswhere in the game can charge the HEV's armor!!!!!

Excellent Find Fender..................... :D

Fender357 said:
Why wouldn't the combine solders use a little of Black Mesa technology?

We've seen from the videos that there are the standard med packs lying around (the strider video)

And I've seen the little battery kind of thing from HL1.

I just figure that the combine can use them too..

interesting :cheers:

Yeah that is kind of exploitable... he loses 2 health and gains 37 armor... :/

Yeah, very cool Fender, I also noticed that gordons health went down but I diddn't look at the armour :D Glad someone did!

wow, that was interesting

edit

noticed something, in the house scene after he gets hit by one of the roller balls again

instead he loses 14 armour

:/?

Nice one Fender!

So when you see a strider and u know theres a medpack nearby and your lowon HEV ull just jump and shoot it abit until it attacks and your golden lol. Oh well, at least its different.

jameth said:
wow, that was interesting

edit

noticed something, in the house scene after he gets hit by one of the roller balls again

instead he loses 14 armour

:/?

Maybe the rollermine just hit Gordon hard and didn´t zap him.

FireBall said:
Yeah that is kind of exploitable... he loses 2 health and gains 37 armor... :/

Not really. Health is way more important than armour. Keep doing that trick and you may end up dead, since jameth noticed it won't give you armour every time it whacks you.

I thought maybe it was a glitcha, and the armor display just didn't appear until some damage was done. Then again, I like the idea.

Abom said:
Not really. Health is way more important than armour. Keep doing that trick and you may end up dead, since jameth noticed it won't give you armour every time it whacks you.

Yeah, but still... when youre at 100 hp 0 armor your gonna wanna get hit once.

FireBall said:
Yeah, but still... when youre at 100 hp 0 armor your gonna wanna get hit once.

Well, once isn't really an exploit.

I still think that "Vortigaunts charge your suit" thing is from the beta...

[EDIT]: But that electrical absorption thing is a neat bit of spotting...

How is it an exploit if you're ment to do it??

Perhaps that's one of the only ways of getting armour in that particular chapter.

There seem to be a lot of mysteries with this new H.E.V. suit. The Aux Power/Sprinting thing obviously has more to it (probably that power can be used for more than just sprinting, because sprinting fades out before the Aux Power meter fades out), and it clearly has a pretty odd relationship with electrical attacks now (it might be in the later section that it is not the rollermine that zaps Gordon's health and armor away, but rather that he is just getting shot at this point.

aku ankka said:
Maybe the rollermine just hit Gordon hard and didn´t zap him.
Nope, he definately gets zapped. Check the pic at the bottom.

As for the 0 armour > 37 armour, it could be a demo bug. Values like that in HL1 don't usually show up until being changed (e.g getting hit by a weapon).

I doubt it though.

http://royal.customer.netspace.net.au/zap.jpg

well IM sure the HEV suit has been modified in the time that Gordon wasnt around.
whos to say they havent made the suit's power source different by now?

Well, the design sure looks different if you compare it to the art from HL...

Thing was, I always thought the G-Man said that Gordon could keep his armour?

Brian Damage said:
Well, the design sure looks different if you compare it to the art from HL...

Thing was, I always thought the G-Man said that Gordon could keep his armour?

I hear HEV suits arent really tip top in designer sleep wear.

at the crane part, he gets his batteries by breaking boxes with a power sign. Very cool :p

Mr. Redundant said:
I hear HEV suits arent really tip top in designer sleep wear.

If you're talking about the "Gordon in Stasis" theory, I think comfort would be a moot point when you're frozen or a non-event mass with a quantum probability of zero...

jabberwock95 said:
I thought maybe it was a glitcha, and the armor display just didn't appear until some damage was done. Then again, I like the idea.
I'm going to have to agree. If you look at the later scene where he is fighting rollermines and the combine, he gets zapped and his health definitley goes down.

"I thought maybe it was a glitcha, and the armor display just didn't appear until some damage was done. "

That is, I'm afraid, correct. Look a bit further into the vid where he comes driving up to the combines (still the rollermine fragment)... his armor goes from nothing to 44 when he gets shot by the combine. and it only goes down afterwards (even when hit by a rollermine as stated before)

thomashiles said:
I seem to recall that one of Valve's biggest claims to realism for HL1 was that Gordon wasn't dependant on health and energy packs to magically restore his health (although these did exist), as the primary way of staying alive was using the wall-mounted recharging stations.... but there will be very few places in C17 with recharge stations (Kleiner's and Vance's labs I guess). I noticed in the harbour sequence that Gordon picked up an energy cell... It's kind of understandable that the HEV-compatible batteries and health packs would be littered about Black Mesa, but C17? Seems unlikely to me (unless Gordon's suit has been augmented to use loadsa different power sources, or perhaps to Combine cops and soldiers use compatible recharge units?)

..So do you think Valve have just quietly abandoned this aspect?
I dont think Valve ever wanted to reach such a level of realism. F.i. i was glad to see that the player doesnt get slowed down while carrying an rpg. Those "realistic" things, like long reloading times, walking slower while carying bigger guns, recoil etc...add nothing to the gaming experience.
Imagine you just beat an amazingly hard level..would you say to yourself: "Pretty cool, but it would have been cooler if i would have to apply real bandages instead of sci-fi healthpacks!"

It wont be such a big deal to fix that armor bug, so relax :p

Could just be random whether it ups your suit or not. It would sort of make sense that it can charge up from outside forces.

Ye, i mean, there are tons of inventions we dont know off

barker_s said:
I think they will explain it somehow. Maybe Combine suits are compatible with HEV batteries (but i really doubt that they are based on the same technology). Well, we will see...

BTW: Hello everyone! I'm new here :E .

Hello!

My guess is that you're probably right, though I think it's GORDON's suit that has been modifyed (The scientist are using technology to survive) to take whatever they use, plus a number of other sources. It's still power.

Back