The HEV

V

Vahishta

anyone notice that Gordon doesn't seem to need a helmet? The HEV, yes, but there's no helmet - guess he don't need to worry about headshots!! :)

Well, CS will change alot when the Source kicks in. Even I am going to go back to CS which I have hated for eternity. God, I love Source.

And that helmet would just look stupid. Let's say that HEV has an enery field.

Real men like getting shot, naked, whiles its 60 celcius, during a drought, and not eating for 5 days, after getting their arms torn off, and THEY LIKE IT DAMNIT!

Burn!

Anyways, the only explanation I can think of is that it's a holographic projection.
The same technology is in barney's helmet too.

It's not that far-fetched though, since there are so many holograms throughout the base.

I reckon he wears the helmet all the time and valve used artistic licence to show his face in those renders. Come on, dont tell me he swam through the various pools of toxic sludge in the first game without protecting his face!

UKchaos said:
I reckon he wears the helmet all the time and valve used artistic licence to show his face in those renders. Come on, dont tell me he swam through the various pools of toxic sludge in the first game without protecting his face!

He ate it all before it reached his face?

his glasses have an energy field in that repells everything apart from food and air and alyx's ..... I'll stop there I think.

moppe said:
He ate it all before it reached his face?

YES, because real men love the taste of radioactive sludge in the morning! :p None of that wimpy cowering at gunfire that the other scientists are so good at.

Beserker said:
Well, CS will change alot when the Source kicks in. Even I am going to go back to CS which I have hated for eternity. God, I love Source.

And that helmet would just look stupid. Let's say that HEV has an enery field.

same here, I loathe CS.. but I started playing it again 3 days ago just so I would be ready for CS:S.

and of course Gordon wears his helm.... thats where their excuse to have a HUD came from :p

Gordons head is made of metal, he is a ROBOT.

Duh! :p

He wears his helmet most of the time, else he wouldn't be able to see his HUD. He probably takes it off when his friends are around. Should be a simple enough thing to do.

So i had a little discussion with the man himself, gordon.

Q: So Gordon - ummh is it true that you don't actually use the HEV helmet?

A: "hehe yeah like i'd wear that ugly ass helmet..."

Q: On an unrelated note, what do you think of Alyx

A: "BOOYAAH!!!"

So there ya have it... :D

..:~NEWS BULLETIN~:..

This just in....i'm friggin' bored!!

Well, the toxic slug is the only reason, he should wear it.
Maybe it hangs on a cord like those gloves for kids ;D

Mom: "Don't forget your helmet, Gordon!"
Gordon: " ... "
Mom: "And please talk. What if there is a resonance cascade und you couldn't tell anyone!"
Gordon: " ... "
Mom: "Oh, you little dumb boy. Come home straightly and don't talk to men in blue suits. Bye bye"

;)

The only thing I could really say about headshots is that, the combine arent taking headshots because they want him alive to make an "example" out of him or something.

Basically, they don't want to kill him, just handicap him for capture.

I think if Gordon was walking around a city in a suit that was orange and looked like the HEV does, the people and combine soldiers would think he was weird enough. Who knows what would happen if he was also wearing a goofy helment ;D

OR, OR, he hasnt got a helmet cos he looks cooler without 1, and damn the real world consequences?

Why are you trying to defend him not having a helmet? I bet Mark Laidlaw didnt wonder about it when he wrote the original HL1 story.

Maybe he decided to take off his helmet while posing for the guy that did the design for the HL1 box. :p

Yeah, and he took it off for Shephard too? :)

I've chosen to believe Freeman either repaints his HEV for HL2 or wears slightly less conspicuous clothes over it. I'll be playing as him after all, and I'd not be stupid enough to run around in shiny orange armor...

Mechagodzilla said:
Burn!

Anyways, the only explanation I can think of is that it's a holographic projection.
The same technology is in barney's helmet too.

It's not that far-fetched though, since there are so many holograms throughout the base.

Is that from Blue Shit? Or from the beta? or?

Well Barney has a HUD in Blue Shift, so presumable he uses the holographic tech too.

Holograms appear in the training course and in Opposing Force when you get the barnacle gun.

i always thought that its retractable.
the HEV is pretty funky.

lol this thread has some silly yet entertaining posts :D

i think everyone has covered all bases on Gordon's helmet and the only thing left is someone to say "he doesn't wear a helmet cause he wants to impress the women" :LOL:

2 things

1. It's a suit. Suits don't have helmets

2. When you first put the H.E.V. on there is no helmet

Gordon just stops the bullets and radioactive goo with his goatee, just like all kinds of food, bullets and goo get stuck in beards too.

Of course he wears it!!!
HEV suits look so damn cool,,, i wish i had one!!!!

Eejit said:
Yeah, and he took it off for Shephard too? :)

I've chosen to believe Freeman either repaints his HEV for HL2 or wears slightly less conspicuous clothes over it. I'll be playing as him after all, and I'd not be stupid enough to run around in shiny orange armor...

Lol what better disguise?
nike

Its obvious guys..

Gordon is acctully a foot shorter than he looks, the head you see ontop is an animatronic rubber muppet.

Kyo said:
2 things

1. It's a suit. Suits don't have helmets

2. When you first put the H.E.V. on there is no helmet

1. The dead guys that you see on Xen are wearing helmets,

2. he doesn't wear a helmet cause he wants to impress the women

Well, we've only see gordon helmet-less twice. The first time is when he was knocked unconcious, so the marines could have removed it.

Now, the question is why they would give it back.

Maybe they didn't and that's why he didn't have one later on in the game?

Mechagodzilla said:
Well, we've only see gordon helmet-less twice. The first time is when he was knocked unconcious, so the marines could have removed it.

Now, the question is why they would give it back.

Maybe they didn't and that's why he didn't have one later on in the game?

If you include the expansion packs as well you see Gordon about 10-15 more times, minus a helmet.

Btw...whats happened to your mechagodzilla avatar? :(

Bicka said:
If you include the expansion packs as well you see Gordon about 10-15 more times, minus a helmet.

Btw...whats happened to your mechagodzilla avatar? :(

I was taking the expansions into account. Barney sees him being dragged to the trash compactor sans-helmet, and Aidrian sees him jump into the Xen portal.
Those were the only two times that we see Gordon in the HEV without a helmet.

And you don't likee Mr. Houndeye? :p

Well they had to remove the helmet in the expansion packs to make it obvious it was gordon and not some random HEV suit wearing scientist. Again, artistic licence.

Also, i dont buy the 'holographic projection' theory, are you saying the HUD appears floating in front of their eyes?. Maybe you mean the image of the hud is projected onto the retina (this technology actually exists).

Yes, artistic license, so that the character is more easily recognised. There's also art with him A) Wearing the helmet, and B) Holding it. He has a helmet. He wears the helmet. Though, I'd imagine he takes it off to talk to people.

Vahishta said:
anyone notice that Gordon doesn't seem to need a helmet? The HEV, yes, but there's no helmet - guess he don't need to worry about headshots!! :)

HE'S GORDON FREEMAN!!1

Mechagodzilla said:
I was taking the expansions into account. Barney sees him being dragged to the trash compactor sans-helmet, and Aidrian sees him jump into the Xen portal.
Those were the only two times that we see Gordon in the HEV without a helmet.

And you don't likee Mr. Houndeye? :p

Yeah my bad, wasn't thinking...Mechahoundzilla?

But, if was wearing a helmet then how did the marines knock him out?

Wait a second... something about this ain't, something about this ain't right at all!

It's called "Coming up behind the guy, whipping his helmet off, and whacking him over the head.".

Back